Coonan build/shipping times - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-28-2018, 07:38 PM

Coonan build/shipping times

Figured I’d make a new thread instead of hijacking the coonan cracked slide thread.

Got a phone call earlier tonight directly from Dan Coonan. He told me that between bad parts and vacation time from vendors and employees it’s been tough to get these built on time.

He said my order is 173 on the list (satin classic 357) and won’t ship until early September. I ordered on March 6th for what it’s worth.

I told him that I really appreciate the call and being honest and upfront. It stinks that they’re being delayed but told him I’d rather have a realistic estimate than being told 2 weeks which then turns into 2 months.

He assured me that I’m going to love the gun. I’m sure I will.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:49 PM

Good on you for being patient.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martensite View Post
Good on you for being patient.
I was definitely getting frustrated but now that I’ve been given a more definite shipping time, I can relax a bit 😉

It sucks but it is what it is. They just need to be honest and upfront with their customers. Also keep them updated. Me and many others have $1600+ invested and should expect a higher level of communication.

That being said, it’s going to be awesome once I get that smooth satin Coonan in my hands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew1220 View Post
Figured Iíd make a new thread instead of hijacking the coonan cracked slide thread.

Got a phone call earlier tonight directly from Dan Coonan. He told me that between bad parts and vacation time from vendors and employees itís been tough to get these built on time.

He said my order is 173 on the list (satin classic 357) and wonít ship until early September. I ordered on March 6th for what itís worth.

I told him that I really appreciate the call and being honest and upfront. It stinks that theyíre being delayed but told him Iíd rather have a realistic estimate than being told 2 weeks which then turns into 2 months.

He assured me that Iím going to love the gun. Iím sure I will.
Well I just ordered another classic in the ionbond finish, Coonan is running a 15% off sale for the 4rth of July good time to order a Coonan! I will not expect it till next June lol! Not a bad deal $255 off ,$1,481 out the door 2 magazines adjustable sights.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:29 PM

Got my ticket number Coonan says 10 weeks. Can’t wait but I’m sure it will be worth the wait ����
Old 07-02-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgarner01 View Post
Got my ticket number Coonan says 10 weeks. Can’t wait but I’m sure it will be worth the wait ����
When did you place the order?
Old 07-02-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I placed the order June 30th. My shooting buddy place an order for the satin 10mm on thanksgiving last year still didnít get it yet? So weíll see how long this Coonan takes. Iím not getting my hopes up for getting mine in September.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:30 AM

I'm not surprised at all, they were always "slow" (not to be mistaken with crappy, because once they get to you they are fine) customer service. Now with the significantly expanded product line, well. I would say for these types of guns, just a few configuration options, they are almost standard rack guns (as far as a very small amount of customization, not the gun itself which I would say is most certainly semi-custom quality - LOVE my Classic 357M!) and should be delivered within 2 months (or sooner!). Anything longer indicates to me they need to get the manufacturing process in order (which probably includes, but is not limited to, adding additional-smith's).
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 07-03-2018 at 05:33 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I placed the order June 30th. My shooting buddy place an order for the satin 10mm on thanksgiving last year still didn’t get it yet? So we’ll see how long this Coonan takes. I’m not getting my hopes up for getting mine in September.
Wow. Well after getting a call from Dan Coonan, I’m hoping he gave me a realistic estimate...we shall see.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
I'm not surprised at all, they were always "slow" (not to be mistaken with crappy, because once they get to you they are fine) customer service. Now with the significantly expanded product line, well. I would say for these types of guns, just a few configuration options, they are almost standard rack guns (as far as a very small amount of customization, not the gun itself which I would say is most certainly semi-custom quality - LOVE my Classic 357M!) and should be delivered within 2 months (or sooner!). Anything longer indicates to me they need to get the manufacturing process in order (which probably includes, but is not limited to, adding additional-smith's).
Agreed. Sure seems like they’re understaffed and/or have some crappy vendors from which they get their parts. A lot of my friends think I’m crazy for ordering another Coonan after the slide cracking, barrel bushing cracking, trigger wobbling, and taking this long for them to build and ship the gun. It’s just such a cool gun that I can’t help myself haha. Not many 357 1911 options obviously.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Agreed. Sure seems like theyíre understaffed and/or have some crappy vendors from which they get their parts. A lot of my friends think Iím crazy for ordering another Coonan after the slide cracking, barrel bushing cracking, trigger wobbling, and taking this long for them to build and ship the gun. Itís just such a cool gun that I canít help myself haha. Not many 357 1911 options obviously.
Yes it is a very cool and extremely accurate flat shooter, Iím really liking my 45 been shooting a lot of 45 super wow what a cartridge 50 yards another flat shooter this has become my favorite 45, why didnít I start loading 45 super last year! Love that cartridge!
Old 07-03-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I definitely agree Coonan needs more smiths and a bigger customer support, a few years ago you would get an answer in a day or so, now sometimes itís a week or more, mark canít handle all the technical problems himself in my opinion.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
mark canít handle all the technical problems himself in my opinion.
No he definitely can't. He does a lot of the Facebook/social media stuff too.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:43 AM

They've definitely got a great product in the .357 "Classic". I'm betting they are losing their ass on their .45 and 10mm line-ups though...

They should stick to their "core" product that brought them success.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martensite View Post
They've definitely got a great product in the .357 "Classic". I'm betting they are losing their ass on their .45 and 10mm line-ups though...

They should stick to their "core" product that brought them success.
Yup I agree 100%. I can kind of understand releasing a 10mm model as that's a cool hot round but the market is already flooded with .45 1911's many of which are MUCH cheaper than a Coonan. I think it's going to be a tough sell for them aside from the die hard Coonan fans/collectors. But with any company, I'm sure they're trying to broaden their offerings in hopes of increasing sales.

I have 0 desire to get a Coonan in .45 or 10mm. Even if I had lots of money to blow, Coonan would not be on the top of my list for .45 or 10mm 1911's.

They definitely need to stick to the 357 as they essentially have no competition aside from the Desert Eagle
Old 07-05-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Yup I agree 100%. I can kind of understand releasing a 10mm model as that's a cool hot round but the market is already flooded with .45 1911's many of which are MUCH cheaper than a Coonan. I think it's going to be a tough sell for them aside from the die hard Coonan fans/collectors. But with any company, I'm sure they're trying to broaden their offerings in hopes of increasing sales.

I have 0 desire to get a Coonan in .45 or 10mm. Even if I had lots of money to blow, Coonan would not be on the top of my list for .45 or 10mm 1911's.

They definitely need to stick to the 357 as they essentially have no competition aside from the Desert Eagle
If I was going to be shooting hot loaded ammo through a 10mm I would definitely want the Coonan and shooting 45 super I would definitely want the Coonan, I believe they are built to shoot that type of ammunition unlike other brands,just my opinion.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:41 AM

My Conan Classic with the Navy Camo is up next in my shooting rotation for next week, looking forward to it (so much fun), Dry-Fire session with the gun today in-prep...I noticed, or maybe I just can't find them that Conan isn't offering any of the Camo anymore (they had maybe a 1/2 dozen styles). Maybe they don't want to be bothered sending them out and waiting to get them back anymore. And probably these are low-runners, most folks like the more traditional look...I absolute love mine because I have just too many guns which are more traditionally looking, and I was in the Navy anyway :-).
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 07-09-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
My Conan Classic with the Navy Camo is up next in my shooting rotation for next week, looking forward to it (so much fun), Dry-Fire session with the gun today in-prep...I noticed, or maybe I just can't find them that Conan isn't offering any of the Camo anymore (they had maybe a 1/2 dozen styles). Maybe they don't want to be bothered sending them out and waiting to get them back anymore. And probably these are low-runners, most folks like the more traditional look...I absolute love mine because I have just too many guns which are more traditionally looking, and I was in the Navy anyway :-).
Like to see a picture of your navy camo Coonan, bet it looks cool.
Bob
Old 07-10-2018, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p269 View Post
Like to see a picture of your navy camo Coonan, bet it looks cool.
Bob
Thank you Sir here are a couple of pics, one next to my 357M 586L-comp:

I added skate-tape to the smooth front strap after my first shoot (not shown in the pic), I found the FS a little too slick. I use a 2011 kydex holster at the range and it works nicely for the Conan.

Click on the picks for a better view.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0557.JPG   IMG_0552.JPG  
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 07-10-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Thank you Sir here are a couple of pics, one next to my 357M 586L-comp:

I added skate-tape to the smooth front strap after my first shoot (not shown in the pic), I found the FS a little too slick. I use a 2011 kydex holster at the range and it works nicely for the Conan.

Click on the picks for a better view.
Thank you for the picture, that Coonan is more than cool it is super cool.

Bob
Old 07-14-2018, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p269 View Post
Thank you for the picture, that Coonan is more than cool it is super cool.

Bob
Thank you Sir!
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 07-15-2018, 07:32 AM

That is cool. Good idea on the tape for the front strap. I might buy some once my Coonan arrives.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:27 AM

I use this grip tape on the Coonan’s and all my other 1911’s and many other guns works great and doesn’t leave any marks. https://www.amazon.com/GT-5000-strip...J8L&ref=plSrch
Old 07-15-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
That is cool. Good idea on the tape for the front strap. I might buy some once my Coonan arrives.
Thanks Andrew!

Quote:
I use this grip tape on the Coonan’s and all my other 1911’s and many other guns works great and doesn’t leave any marks. https://www.amazon.com/GT-5000-strip...J8L&ref=plSrch
That looks like the material I have on my PPQ-45 grip. Taylon makes them custom fit (one piece wrap around grips) for a bunch of plastic gun models. Not quite as grippe as skate tape but works very well...
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 07-26-2018, 09:30 PM

Edit nvm

Last edited by andrew1220; 07-26-2018 at 10:28 PM.