Old brass been outside for a long time - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-14-2016, 02:44 PM

Old brass been outside for a long time

Found a bunch of 45 and 9mm brass that's been out in a field for several years, can't find any visible damage other than tarnish, no rust on the primers. Is this stuff any good for reloading or is it scrap?
Old 04-14-2016, 02:47 PM

If the integrity of the cases is still good, then clean them up and load them. Brass is pretty tough.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:21 PM

We use a tarp to catch brass and make it easier to pick up.

Inevitably, some gets missed.

Sooner or later, we "find" it.

It gets thrown in with the rest, is cleaned, deprimed, re-sized, re-primed, belled, charged, topped with a bullet, seated, and crimped and shot without any incidence.

So if I were you, I'd reload it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2016, 05:53 PM

This from the spot I shoot my guns at before I thought about getting into reloading, now all I think about is new places that might have some brass laying around. The way I see it is the less I have to pay for components the more I save and can shoot.
Two Gang Bangers shot it up at each other last nite in the park I may give it a few days and see the police missed any brass.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Two Gang Bangers shot it up at each other last nite in the park I may give it a few days and see the police missed any brass.
Got any Scots blood in ye?

Buy a bunch of factory ammo.

Shoot it. Reload.
Shoot it. Reload.
Continue.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonHyphenAmerican View Post
Got any Scots blood in ye?

Buy a bunch of factory ammo.

Shoot it. Reload.
Shoot it. Reload.
Continue.
My Great Grandmother, Cassie McClean, would be proud of such niggardly behavior.

Cranberry Lake Militia
1953 side-by-side cork gun
1-A, 1968 - 1977
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has traveled.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:18 AM

I've used some pretty knarly brass. I bought some range 45LC that had sat outside a long time. Green and black and nasty looking. I rinsed them off, tumbled with nufinish and mineral spirits then sized and loaded them up. Works just fine. Unless cracked, split, sharply dented (the usual stuff) I'd clean and shoot it

The gods of the valley are not the gods of the hills, and you shall understand it.
Ethan Allens reply to the Kings Attorney General of New York claiming authority over Vermont before picking up arms.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by july19 View Post
My Great Grandmother, Cassie McClean, would be proud of such niggardly behavior.
Hey! We might be relatives back a few generations.

Our Clan has

&

Old 04-15-2016, 11:21 PM

It shouldn't be a problem. I suggest you clean the brass and examine for cracks or other problems prior to loading, but you probably do that anyway.

My other login name for various forums is 'OldManMontgomery'. Those of us graced by God to have Scottish forebears are not cheap: we're THRRRIFTY.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticool View Post
. . . .
I might beat you to it!