Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-22-2003, 10:32 AM
Banned

Defense of self, family is a personal duty

Guest columnist Will Dougan, 30, is director of music ministries at a local church.

August 17, 2003

"Legitimate defense can be not only a right but a grave duty for one who is responsible for the lives of others."
- Catechism of the Catholic Church, No. 2265 (1997)
--------------------------------------------------

The question "why do you choose to carry a firearm?" has haunted me.

I am a fairly normal guy. I love to eat barbecue, I pay taxes, I vote. I'd like to take my wife out more often (to eat barbecue), I attend church and I'm a baseball fan - just like many other men in Memphis.

One thing that makes me different from some of those men is that I carry a gun. I do so because I truly believe that preserving the safety and well-being of my wife, my children and myself is my duty.

Do I think there are villains around every corner waiting to pounce? Certainly not. To quote the Boy Scout motto, my intent is only to "be prepared."

I carry a spare tire in my car, have emergency supplies at home, and always wear my seatbelt, all so that I will be prepared. I have used my spare tire twice, never used the emergency supplies and found my seatbelt's restraints necessary only once. So why do I still maintain all those safeguards? Because I know that when I do need them, I'll need them desperately.

For me, a handgun is much the same - a safeguard. I carry it and train with it just in case I ever need it.

I hope never to need my gun. I avoid places I think might not be safe. I pay close attention to what is going on around me, so that I can stay one step ahead of potential dangers. I do not look for trouble nor go around with a chip on my shoulder.

I love my family more than anything on Earth. I want my children to grow up, go to school, move out and give me grandchildren. I want my wife and me to live and love each other until death do us part - when we are very, very old. The thought of losing them or having them lose me makes my eyes well up and lodges a lump in my throat.

I grew up in rural Madison County, where guns were a part of life, not something to be feared or mistrusted. We all had them, we all used them, and we all respected them.

A gun was and is a tool - nothing more, nothing less. You would never know my gun is there; it is safely tucked away in a manner that renders it harmless unless it is called upon. When you are at my home, there is no sign of a firearm; they are all stored in locked safes.

I take my duty as husband and father seriously. Part of that duty is being willing and able to protect my loved ones - from drugs, economic dangers and physical threats. The words of my father ring in my ears: "With great privilege comes great responsibility." I carry a gun because it is my responsibility alone - not that of the police, nor the government, nor the community - to defend the precious lives that God has entrusted to me.

Although I have great distaste for the possibility of taking a life, I recall the words attributed to St. Augustine: "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men."

Fathers are like sheepdogs. We must be persistent, gentle, playful and, at times, ferocious. On occasion, we must become like the wolf that threatens our flock.

For me, that means owning, carrying and undergoing extensive training with a firearm, so that when the wolf appears out of the shadows, I will be prepared to defend what the Master has given me.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:59 PM

This is one of the best, most succinct explanations I have read on this subject. I would like to see you send this to Packing.com, and Shootersville.net. Then send it in letter form to several national newspapers.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:04 PM

Re: Defense of self, family is a personal duty

Quote:
Originally posted by UdontnoME
Guest columnist Will Dougan, 30, is director of music ministries at a local church.

August 17, 2003

"Legitimate defense can be not only a right but a grave duty for one who is responsible for the lives of others."
- Catechism of the Catholic Church, No. 2265 (1997)
--------------------------------------------------

The question "why do you choose to carry a firearm?" has haunted me.

I am a fairly normal guy. I love to eat barbecue, I pay taxes, I vote. I'd like to take my wife out more often (to eat barbecue), I attend church and I'm a baseball fan - just like many other men in Memphis.

One thing that makes me different from some of those men is that I carry a gun. I do so because I truly believe that preserving the safety and well-being of my wife, my children and myself is my duty.

Do I think there are villains around every corner waiting to pounce? Certainly not. To quote the Boy Scout motto, my intent is only to "be prepared."

I carry a spare tire in my car, have emergency supplies at home, and always wear my seatbelt, all so that I will be prepared. I have used my spare tire twice, never used the emergency supplies and found my seatbelt's restraints necessary only once. So why do I still maintain all those safeguards? Because I know that when I do need them, I'll need them desperately.

For me, a handgun is much the same - a safeguard. I carry it and train with it just in case I ever need it.

I hope never to need my gun. I avoid places I think might not be safe. I pay close attention to what is going on around me, so that I can stay one step ahead of potential dangers. I do not look for trouble nor go around with a chip on my shoulder.

I love my family more than anything on Earth. I want my children to grow up, go to school, move out and give me grandchildren. I want my wife and me to live and love each other until death do us part - when we are very, very old. The thought of losing them or having them lose me makes my eyes well up and lodges a lump in my throat.

I grew up in rural Madison County, where guns were a part of life, not something to be feared or mistrusted. We all had them, we all used them, and we all respected them.

A gun was and is a tool - nothing more, nothing less. You would never know my gun is there; it is safely tucked away in a manner that renders it harmless unless it is called upon. When you are at my home, there is no sign of a firearm; they are all stored in locked safes.

I take my duty as husband and father seriously. Part of that duty is being willing and able to protect my loved ones - from drugs, economic dangers and physical threats. The words of my father ring in my ears: "With great privilege comes great responsibility." I carry a gun because it is my responsibility alone - not that of the police, nor the government, nor the community - to defend the precious lives that God has entrusted to me.

Although I have great distaste for the possibility of taking a life, I recall the words attributed to St. Augustine: "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men."

Fathers are like sheepdogs. We must be persistent, gentle, playful and, at times, ferocious. On occasion, we must become like the wolf that threatens our flock.

For me, that means owning, carrying and undergoing extensive training with a firearm, so that when the wolf appears out of the shadows, I will be prepared to defend what the Master has given me.
Amen. Eloquently spoken, right on target.

Ernon

Old 08-22-2003, 03:11 PM

As I just eluded to on the LEO forum, I have chosen not to get a permit at this point despite the recent changes to MN law. If someone wants my wallet, they can have it. Physical injury or death? fine - although I do watch my 6 and am very intentional about where I go and when. In short, the additional responsibilities don't seem worth it to me to carry at this point.

However, as the author said, my risk/responsibility assesment would change dramatically were I too have a family. This guys colum hit home for me because my attitude would change dramitically if I had the responsibility to protect a wife and kids, or to protect myself so that I could emotionally and financialy support them.

Just my .02
Old 08-22-2003, 05:10 PM

In respose to Peter C. We all have to make our own decessions and I respect yours... I might point out one thing. I am not sure how old you are but I am 53 I started driving at age 15 in Texas. In the sixties No one wore seat belts. We all felt it was not necessary - fast forward to 2003. We now not only feel it Is necessary, it is the law. I choose to carry a wepon like the author of this thread. 98% of my friends do not know that I carry and 100% of my family (not counting wife) doesn't even know that I have a permit. This is my choice and I now feel it is necessary. At what point did you feel it was wise to wear a seat belt??? -
I hope to never have to use my gun, in fact it may bite me in the butt if and when the time arrives... Just like a seat belt "May" hold you in a car while it burns and you die Because you had a seat belt on....... However, Most of us would choose to put that belt on if we knew a crash was coming and take our chances - This is why most people choose to carry - They are willing to accept the risks and choose to have th edge if needed...
Keep in mind these are only my Opinions, Harley
Old 08-22-2003, 05:21 PM

Great post. As a Christian I know from reading the Bible that my life is not mine to give. Thus suicide is forbidden and thus pacifism in my way of thinking is immoral as you are choosing to give up your life to spare the life of your attacker when your life is not yours to give. The often misapplied scripture of "Turning the other cheek" was talking about insults, not death blows.

Last edited by Mus; 08-23-2003 at 12:56 AM.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:01 PM

Good post.

This in turn is reflected in the "natural law" - also an intergral part of Christian theological doctrine. That it is un-natural not to defend oneself or others against harmful or deadly physical threats. Thus it takes a conscious effort to resist doing so.

This should not be confused with emotional fear induced or other forms of physiological paralysis that impede this natural inclination human beings.
Old 08-23-2003, 12:09 AM

Well said. Well said indeed.
Old 08-23-2003, 01:13 AM

Well, to me I want a CCW whether there are others to protect or not - the first reason to have it is to protect myself. Now that I have a wife there is added responsibility in that I'd care more about protecting her than I would me. I've found that this is not a concious decision - it just happens and that's ok with me. Luckily she wants to shoot and get a CCW also and I love the fact that she wants to protect herself - and I also know that she could wind up protecting me sometime.

Excellent write-up, UdontnoME!
Old 08-23-2003, 01:49 AM

Love it, except for " IF its not a Colt its Crap"

Thats just WRONG.
Old 08-23-2003, 11:58 AM

Well done udontnome. Not much I can add to that. Like harley rider I aint getting any younger. I turned 52 this past June. I'm a pretty good sized guy and I walk tall. That being said I'm not the spring chicken that I used to be. I'm not married any more but I have a daughter and a son in law and three grandkids. These and my close friends are worth protecting to me. Along with myself of course.
PeterC you might not have a family at the moment but one day you might. If you get killed along the way you won't have that chance.

Peepaw

GCO Member

Last edited by peepaw; 08-29-2003 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-23-2003, 05:25 PM

In response to PeterC:
Certainly you have the right to not carry a firearm, but in my opinion I find it a bit selfish. All men have a duty to God to seek the good of their neighbor, and work toward what is beneficial to them. I believe that the carrying of a firearm is not only necessary for my own personal protection or simply that of my family, but the protection of my neighbor. We live in an age when the thug is becoming a secondary threat, and terrorists are playing the primary role at least in my mind. They are being trained to take over shopping malls and other places where the freedom loving people of america take leisure. Not seedy bars, or the red light district, but CostCo, Sam's Club, or your nicest ("safest") shopping mall. They aren't planning on doing this so that they can ship the latest fashions back to Syria or Saudi Arabia, but to gain an american audience to terrorize. When they go in it isn't with the intention of making it out. I believe it will go something like this:
1. Take over shopping mall.
2. Kill a couple of people and wait for the news crews to arrive.
3. Announce to the world that this is Allah's judgment on the "American Satan."
4. Kill everyone, and blow yourself up while screaming "Praise be to Allah."

I would ask you in light of our newfound circumstances to reconsider your position on carrying a firearm. If there has ever been a time to stand up and be counted an American it is now.

Your friend, Theo. :-)

Simul iustus et peccator
Old 08-23-2003, 06:27 PM

what can I say other than that you speak for me along with quite a few others on this forum. Well said my friend.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:51 PM
Banned

I think my signature says it all.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:54 PM

Why I Carry A Gun

Somebody on this forum or the TFL once posted the following, and I was so impressed with it that I now carry it on a card to give to those who question me.

"I carry a gun because there is evil in this world. It strikes in churches, McDonalds, the library, at home, and in traffic.

It comes to resturants, parking lots, and movie theaters.

When it comes, you won't have time to wait for the police. It will come suddenly without warning and with unbelievable violence.

I believe it is my job as a man to protect my family and other innocents from this evil.
Generations of American have fought and died to protect this country, their families and friends.

It is my right and my duty to follow in their footsteps if called upon to do so."

I wish I had got the name of the person who posted this as it is the best explanation I have seen.

If the person who posted it reads this, speak up.. I would like to give credit where credit is due..

Regards,

Iggy
Old 08-29-2003, 05:00 PM

Great Responses

Hey All:

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. I should clarify and perhaps expand upon my original post.

First, let me just say that I think the more people that carry the better. Also, I'm not a pacifist, and I happen to believe that adherence to non-violence in all circumstances is one of the most repugnant, immoral ideologies around. I do not believe, however, that I have a moral obligation to physically harm, up to the point of lethal force, somebody because they are trying to do those things to me. Sure, a reasonable argument can be made that for the good of society it would be better off killing the perp (financially, other potential victims, wastoids having offspring of numerous wastoids, etc.), but that 'for the good of society' argument can take us down a pretty slick slope, ie., unreasonable search and seizures, major punishment for relatively minor offenses, etc. There are lots of obvious things we could do to improve society, but often we don't do them because of competing values such as individual liberty. And, in valuing individual liberty, I honor a person's right to kill themselves by doing really stupid things or not responding with violence to violence, just as much as I honor someone's right to self preservation, even if that means killing an attacker with lethal intent.

That being said, the only reason I may get my permit and actually carry is the potential ability to prevent harm to others. The family is the extreme example of caring, but I care about my known and unknown neighbors as well, and it is never bad to have more tools at one's disposal to prevent such harm. That's the only thing that really carries much weight with me, cause at this point I don't fear death to the point of carrying to prevent a particular assault (this is not to say I'm cavalier about life so that I make poor decisions regarding personal safety). Also, although I've been shooting regularly since I purchase my first handgun in January of 2002, and practice a lot of the more standard drills (one handed, including off-handed, shooting from the ground in various positions, low light, etc.), carrying is such a large responsibility and I don't really feel ready for it.

Good thoughts, Theo and Harley Rider. These are different times and the existence of Islamofascism does change the scene a bit. Yeah, Harley, the seatbelt is a good analogy.....although its a bit harder to take from a motorcyclist . I've got the motorcycle bug as well, and its not hard to imagine soaring 200 feet through the air in an accident.

Yeah, I'll probably carry at some point, but just have not yet felt the pressing need to take the requisite steps and add on the responsibility.

Have a great labor day weekend, forumites!

Peter
Old 08-30-2003, 07:20 AM

Peter C

I respect your opinions and your hesitation to carry.

I would only make one comment...

I think we all hate to think we may have to use force defend ourselves or others, but to have to stand by and not be able to help would be worse.
Old 09-29-2003, 03:57 PM

There is something worse in this world than the tyranny of evil men. And that is the indifference of GOOD men.