Arbitrary closing of threads - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-05-2015, 09:52 PM

Anyone know if this thing generates any real revenue?
Old 08-05-2015, 09:58 PM

Yes, forums generate revenue. You have sponsors, on here, you have paying members.

On my truck site, we have over a hundred paying sponsors. If you are not a sponsor, you cannot post that you make grips and have them for sale.

There is more than one level of sponsorship. I know some sponsors on my truck site that pay fifty bucks a year, I know others that pay a whole lot more than that. That ad banner you see at the top of the page, the site makes money from that. They make more money if you click on it. You don't have to buy anything, just click on it and check out the website. There is one sponsor on my truck site, if you click on it, it is a white page with his name, phone number, and email address. One of the best Ford diesel mechanics I know.

If you have a successful forum, there are companies that will pay you so much money, you will never have to work a day in your life again.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:57 AM

I want one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2015, 06:32 AM
Banned

There is an issue with threads being locked to quick, but its hard to fix when there is no Lounge for us users to just talk.

Any non gun topic gets locked, or gun topic that goes off base. So while you might want to talk about a gun issue on here, if it got locked because you were working, then you missed out and your opinion does not count.

This very thread should be locked as it is not gun related, yet what bad is there from it being left open?

This is the only forum I belong to where people can not just talk about things in a Lounge and where Mods are not all on the same page or given set area's to control from what I see.

Do the Mods do a good job. Yes they do. They are fair over all. Some might lock threads quicker and some might hold off, that's life.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:41 AM

Old 08-06-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven3 View Post
Likely. But before that happens, I would like to comment. The moderators make and enforce the rules. It's their park, and they allow us to play in it. Personally, I think the moderators on this forum do a great job of allowing polite constructive discussion while shutting down inappropriate, overly-contentious, and/or just plain dumb threads. If you disagree, you are free to go elsewhere.

FWIW, a few months ago, on another forum, I very politely disagreed with a certain well-known gun writer who posted a legal opinion that was, I believe, wrong. The moderator allowed him to respond, repeat his erroneous opinion, then chastised those who disagreed with the writer and locked the thread so that he would have the last word. I didn't complain. It's their forum, and they can do what they like. But I haven't been back, and won't post there again.
Generally speaking, I agree, their house, their rules. One has to consider that each mod is an individual. They may have general guidelines but one mod may, and often will, close a thread that another mod would leave open. Sometimes it can be a head scratcher but that's the way it is when dealing with different personalities making different judgment calls. Just par for the course.

Regarding your last paragraph ... it happens here too. Someone is going to get the last word in a contentious thread and usually it's just a timing thing based on when the mod sees it, not personal. But it does happen here where a mod will intentionally allow the last word to someone because of personal bias or to take a jab or whatever the case. It's not a frequent occurrence from what I have seen but it has happened. I have experienced it myself. Still, their house, their rules so it's fair game but it's also unnecessary and avoidable (and petty) regardless. Again, it's not common from what I have seen and that's part of what makes this forum one of the good ones, IMO.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:02 AM

A thread I started yesterday was locked yesterday after five replies, without comment from the mod as to why, but it's just not that important to me. I take no offense and assume the mod had a good reason to close it. I also assume that if I'd done something wrong they would have let me know via private message. I enjoy reading this forum and think that the quality of this site is largely attributable to the mods. They do a great job here, IMO.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:32 AM

How many hours must a Mod spend a week working this forum?
Old 08-06-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bil View Post
I'm wondering why mods feel it necessary to close threads using words like,
"I think "we've" run out of ideas...." when maybe that's not the case at all. Why close the threads on the same day it is posted? Is there some sort of "If I haven't thought of it or read it here by now, it must not exist" premium on space? Seems like a fairly arrogant display of attitude to me.
Because of how they do it, their house their rules but they're retarded about it with the snarky little comments when closed. There's little to no reason to even participate in this section when they fire at will on threads, esp the politicking subforum.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:45 AM

Eight hours a day if they want to get paid.........wait, nevermind.

There is no set amount on my truck forum, one of the qualifications for being picked as a mod is that you spend a fair amount of time on the forum any way.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:41 AM

I would like to see the mod post the reason for closing the thread instead of just locking it. That might stop more from happening. A few do.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:29 PM

Their forum, their rules. Arguing with that is fruitless, there is no fair or unfair.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:37 PM

There's a big difference between moderator and administrator.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavCop View Post
There is an issue with threads being locked to quick, but its hard to fix when there is no Lounge for us users to just talk.

Any non gun topic gets locked, or gun topic that goes off base. So while you might want to talk about a gun issue on here, if it got locked because you were working, then you missed out and your opinion does not count.

This very thread should be locked as it is not gun related, yet what bad is there from it being left open?

This is the only forum I belong to where people can not just talk about things in a Lounge and where Mods are not all on the same page or given set area's to control from what I see.

Do the Mods do a good job. Yes they do. They are fair over all. Some might lock threads quicker and some might hold off, that's life.
That's one of the points. Not all non-gun topics get closed and some that do have a little snide remark / comment accompanying them. It's their forum for sure, however, without members, there is no forum.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:20 PM

But I'm right, I'm always right and I want ya'll to know it.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walks with gun View Post
But I'm right, I'm always right and I want ya'll to know it.

Point taken, not necessarily agreed with, but taken.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STORM2 View Post
Anyone know if this thing generates any real revenue?
Judging by all the advertising you see at the tops of the pages, I'm going to say yes. Now, who owns it is the real question.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:40 PM

IBTL.

Look, if I can forgive Tim for closing my thread about poor little HitchBOT's murder, the least you guys can do is Thank him!

I understand we all occasionally want to share non-gun stuff among our "friends" here, but I think it would just become a mess, especially for the mods.

I think when threads of special common interest come up the mods are pretty good about using common sense. Like this thread for example. It has allowed some folks to express their opinion, and several mods have explained their thoughts. Eventually the topic will run it's course and it will be time to close.

Overall this forum has great and mature members and mods, with a sense of humor when called for, and respect when better judgement needs to be exercised.

And always remember... Everyone is Entitled to MY opinion. If you want one it will be issued to you!".
Old 08-06-2015, 10:22 PM

It's a good forum but could be better and more accommodating w/ a Lounge area for those who might want to share non-firearm material w/ the members. Additionally, I believe they could generate much more revenue by changing the minimum donation requirements to something like 15.00 - 20.00 annual. I can easily afford the rates but mentally I just don't see it and won't do it.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:29 PM

Im struggling trying to think of a non gun topic somebody would want to share here. The weather perhaps? There are other non gun forums out there, there must be a forum for just about any topic a guy could think of.

Last edited by jamiesaun; 08-07-2015 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecockgangsta View Post
It's been my experience that the mods here do a really good job as well. They let people discuss and disagree and for the most part, I only notice locks where the thread is a dupe, it's just way off topic, or it devolves into actual name calling rather than plain disagreements.

It's why I like it so much here. Most people are respectful and reasonable, and that includes the mods in my experience.
+1. This is one of the best forums. I've learned a lot from fellow posters, and it's free.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
^^THIS^^.

This place is much better run than most; the mods allow quite a bit of leeway and are far from draconian in enforcing the rules. To the contrary, they often allow things that push the limits of the rules to slide- up to the point that the thread deteriorates.

If you have specific questions about why a specific thread was locked, you may want to PM the mods directly.

Tic-Toc...
+1 Very moderate Mods, sometimes I wonder if they are exercising well-honed restraint or noshing on popcorn watching the show.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesaun View Post
Im struggling trying to think of a non gun topic somebody would want to share here. The weather perhaps? There are other non gun forums out there, there must be a forum for just about any topic a guy could think of.
Yeah, we used to have a place for this. Guys would start threads about briefs vs boxers, their dog dying...all kinds of stuff.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:14 AM

On my diesel forum, we even have a politics and religion section. It is pretty much a free for all in there. Us mods let pretty much anything go in that section. We only get involved if threats happen.
We also have a section for general non truck discussions, I have helped people out with anything from plumbing to electrical in there. People can talk about the new house they just bought etc.
There is also a section that the only way to see it is be a member, it gets ugly in that section at times. For the most part we are a big group of friends from all over. One guy was moving from New York to AZ a few years ago. Pulling a big trailer. He blew his motor up about 500 miles from home. We Pony Expessed him across the country. I drove two hundred miles, picked him and his truck up, brought him to my house. A couple days later, another member was able to pick him up a hundred miles from me, I drove him and his trailer there and swapped out. He didn't get this all for free, he paid fuel and usually bought all the food while he was with you. When his truck was repaired, he flew back to pick it up and retraced his route, thanking us all again for the help.

I have met a lot of members on that site over the years at different events. If it wasn't for the off topic sections, those things would never happen.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:37 AM

And there you have it, the concept of absolute command. Those of us with 20 or 30 years fully understand it. God, please bring back the draft.