1911Forum banner

Colt 1991 Cast Frames?

5K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  Rick McC. 
#1 ·
Well I think I'll be picking up a NIB Colt 1991 on Sunday, but I've seen a few people on here and elsewhere that Colt uses cast frames on their 1991 models. Can anyone directly prove or disprove this? I've seen lists that say which parts are made of which, but never any sources. I'm sure cast frames are good, I just wanted forged.

And I might get a new model NIB Series 70 they have at the shop instead. Are those cast or forged frames?

AND to make the kicker :D would I be getting a reliable, good self defense pistol in the 1991 or series 70?

#2 · (Edited)
This was just covered in another thread I saw somewhere - Colt frames and slides are forged, including the 1991 series guns.

Both series 70 and 1991 guns are good, reliable pistols for any purpose. My off duty gun is a custom 1991A1 Compact - 100% reliable, very accurate, and a damn fine looking piece, as well.

#3 ·
Both models you mentioned use forged frames. I have attended Colt armorers schools and seen the forging Colt uses. I have owned more than one Colt 1991A1 and several of the old original Series '70s. I've handled the new Series '70s in both blue and stainless. Just as wc145 indicated, all very good quality guns.

#7 ·
Colt has never used cast frames or slides, ever. Whoever told you that was probably the same guy that convinced you in the other thread that they're unreliable as well.

#15 ·
You nailed it

I have had another high-end manufacture's 1911 show pit marks from my finger-prints. I use a dehumidifier in my safe. None of my Colt's had this problem. I also put a double charge of Red Dot powder through a brand new Series 70. Only the barrel and grips needed to be replaced.

#12 ·
Though my experience with the 1991 is recent I have to tell you that I was very impressed with it. According to the serial number it was made in 1998 and I couldn't say how many rounds it has through it, I don't think many I found it to be more accurate than I am. I wouldn't hesitate to go for one again. Good luck with your decision.

#13 ·
Well I think I'll be picking up a NIB Colt 1991 on Sunday, but I've seen a few people on here and elsewhere that Colt uses cast frames on their 1991 models. Can anyone directly prove or disprove this? I've seen lists that say which parts are made of which, but never any sources. I'm sure cast frames are good, I just wanted forged.
And I might get a new model NIB Series 70 they have at the shop instead. Are those cast or forged frames?
AND to make the kicker :D would I be getting a reliable, good self defense pistol in the 1991 or series 70?
Do not buy a Colt 1911 (or 1991) as they are bad for you.
Do, however, go back to the gun shop and tell them you want a Kimber which is good for you. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.