DIY: Removing ILS Safety and Replacing Mainspring Housing - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 04:42 PM

DIY: Removing ILS Safety and Replacing Mainspring Housing

Replacing and Modifying the ILS Mainspring housing in a 1911 Springfield Loaded.

There is a lot of info out there on this subject and I wanted to update and consolidate that info into one easy to use place. First let me start by saying, there are many combinations of parts that will work - but in the effort to simplify this I will cover the “Best” way to complete the job with the highest overall dependability. You can swap fewer parts to try to save a buck or two, but others have had problems with the hammer locking back etc. and I feel that the parts to do the job are cheap enough that replacing the whole assembly is the “best” way.

Original ILS / Mainspring Thread: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=135279
1911 Disassembly: http://www.m1911.org/stripin1.htm

Which Parts Should be Replaced?

Mainspring Housing - They come in many varieties and just pick the one you want (without the ILS of course)

Mainspring - The Factory Springfield spring that is used for the ILS system is physically shorter than the standard spring. According to wolff springs website the SA ILS mainspring is rated at 30lbs. You will need to replace the ILS mainspring with a standard style Mainspring. *Factory spec for standard non-ILS pistols is 23lb. spring. You may try a lighter mainspring to lighten the trigger pull, but if you go too light, you may experience light primer strikes. Many pistols work well with the 19lb mainspring to try to lighten the trigger pull but you will have to test yours.

Mainspring Cap – This is at the top of the spring and makes contact with the hammer strut. You will need to replace this part with a standard style part.

Mainspring Retainer – This part is conical at the bottom and becomes the spring “seat” at the bottom of the mainspring housing. You will need to replace the Springfield unit with a standard unit.

Comparison of Springfield ILS vs. Standard parts

Shopping List
- New Springfield MSH without ILS (any brand/style you like)
- Wilson Complete Pin Set (any brand will probably do)
- Wolff Hammer Spring Pack ( included 19, 20, 21lb. springs)

I bought the complete pin set at around $15 but you might be able to save a few by buying only the parts you need( cap, retainer, spring, housing). I also purchased the spring set because I liked the idea of being able to “dial it in” a little. 19lbs is very nice btw

How to: Replace the ILS system and Mainspring Housing.
1. Remove grips and slide assembly.
2. Wrap a rubber band around grip safety to prevent having to reassemble more than necessary.
3. Cock Hammer and insert SA MSH disassembly “pin” into hole in Factory Main Housing.
4. Hold and release hammer to forward position to remove force on mainspring (and housing) BEFORE removing the MSH retaining pin.
5. Then use a punch and Remove MSH retaining pin in this direction.

6. Once MSH retaining Pin is Removed, the MSH assembly will slide out the bottom of the frame.

7. Next Step is to assemble the new parts and add a few drops of oil.

8. Reinstall the parts and test to make sure it is working properly. Double check all safeties and grip safety and make sure they are all working properly

I did notice a slight improvement in the trigger with the 19lb. spring.

Keeping the ILS System but Change MSH Spring / Lighten Trigger Pull

If you would like to keep the ILS system in place, but simply change the Spring or lighten the trigger pull, that is possible as well. Wolff springs makes replacement springs for the SA ILS system. They also make reduced power springs (30, 28, 26, 24 lbs.)

http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/Springfield.html

Some say you can cut a a standard style MSH spring to the correct length of the ILS spring, and use it as a replacement spring. Im sure it will work but with wolff replacement springs available it just isn't worth it.

Last edited by gringo7718; 11-26-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:51 PM

Thanks. Decided I'm going to try and do this on my factory TRP.

Any idea of what it takes to removed the factory TRP magwell so that I can switch the ILS?

I'm competent enough to do a field strip but have never done a full disassembly. I'm not new to guns at all, but don't consider myself a gunsmith either... happy to keep most of them stock. Will I be able to do this?
Old 09-29-2011, 06:18 PM

nice post, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 09:17 PM

Heck of a 21st post! I'm pleased to see it when others go out of their way to help others... I'm sure the people that need this type of info will be very greatful

Well done!
Old 09-29-2011, 09:55 PM

Pretty informative.

Last edited by STUB48; 09-29-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:27 PM

Thanks STUB48. If you see anything else let me know.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:49 AM

Geat post and pictures. I just recently did this change to my LW Champion Operator. I got my MSH and pin set from Midway. It was very easy to change out. The only trouble I had was my MSH was just a few .001's too long and was binding up the grip safety when gripped. It would disengage the safety just fine but when my grip was released, it would stay in the 'gripped' position. Easy fix,... A file and a couple of passes and all better. The entire process took maybe 20 minutes.

A great mod to a great gun!!

Thanks,
Carl
Old 09-30-2011, 08:51 AM

Very nice. I am looking into doing this once I get around to shooting my SA more.

Thank you for the pictures also. Most pictures seem to have been moved in other posts so they show the little red X.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:23 PM

I have replaced the ILS in all my SA guns. And I learned how to do it from posts just like this one, very informative. Thank you and keep it up!
Old 09-30-2011, 02:49 PM

Location: St. Louis to Fort McClellan to Fort Lewis and stayed in the Evergreen State
Don't mean to be a party pooper but this is a sticky on the top of the Springfield page.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMChuc9775 View Post
Don't mean to be a party pooper but this is a sticky on the top of the Springfield page.
I respect the previous sticky, however without a single picture, it is just a few sentences of wisdom with 6 pages of chatter. I thought some people on this forum could benefit from this information in one single place.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo7718 View Post
I respect the previous sticky, however without a single picture, it is just a few sentences of wisdom with 6 pages of chatter. I thought some people on this forum could benefit from this information in one single place.
Pix and step by step make it much simpler for the novice and less intimidating as well. I think most would prefer your how to instruction.

Last edited by DANCESWITHGUNS; 10-01-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Pictures are worth a thousand words, as they say. I am sure many appreciate your work and the nicely labeled photos.

Last edited by G27RR; 10-01-2011 at 10:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-01-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Yes. Great job.

WJR
Old 10-01-2011, 11:41 AM

Very nicely done it will help a lot of the newer folks who aren't familar with the 1911 platform already. Keep up the good work.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:51 PM

Nicely done.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:45 PM

Thanks everyone, glad I could help.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:11 AM

This is great as I just got a GI Champion Milspec and this and the sights are some of the 1st changes. And with the addition of the pictures greatly helps. Thank you.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:36 PM

Ill be doing this as soon as my package arrives tomorrow. I ordered the S&A Blued MSH/Magwell and the brownells MSH rebuild kit (Wolff 23 lb spring, new mainspring cap, plug, and retainer pin). Once its here I will put the rebuild kit right into the new MSH and it will just be a full swap out.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlstretch View Post
Geat post and pictures. I just recently did this change to my LW Champion Operator. I got my MSH and pin set from Midway. It was very easy to change out. The only trouble I had was my MSH was just a few .001's too long and was binding up the grip safety when gripped. It would disengage the safety just fine but when my grip was released, it would stay in the 'gripped' position. Easy fix,... A file and a couple of passes and all better. The entire process took maybe 20 minutes.

A great mod to a great gun!!

Thanks,
Carl
I installed a S&H arched MSH/Mag well and my grip safety sticks some of the time!!What part should I file down or will it break in over time??SA Loaded Target
Old 10-27-2011, 03:55 PM

And what's the benefit of doing this?
Old 10-27-2011, 06:12 PM

can anyone here report how well keeping the ILS MSH and using a shortened lower power main spring work ?

How much does going to a 19-20lb main spring effect trigger pull ?

Should you change out the recoil spring or is keeping the standard one acceptable ?
Old 10-28-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbos View Post
And what's the benefit of doing this?
Removing a useless locking system.
Some will say something along the lines of, "John Brown never intended for it to be there" and "One less thing to go wrong with the pistol".
Others will point out that it will be required in order to change the MSH to other aftermarket offerings.
It can also make it easier to find parts by converting from the "SA specific system" to the system that all the other 1911s have been using for the last 100 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSystemsNominal View Post
How much does going to a 19-20lb main spring effect trigger pull ?
For mine, not much at all, it was very subtle. It is however noticeably easier to cock the hammer back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSystemsNominal View Post
Should you change out the recoil spring or is keeping the standard one acceptable ?
You will not have to change the recoil spring when changing MSH or removing ILS system.

Last edited by gringo7718; 10-28-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:55 PM

Thanks, I was researching parts last night. I'm thinking about doing it, and also watched some videos on it.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:29 PM

9mm spring ?

Great, great post.

Do you have the recommend spring lbs for a full size 9mm Loaded or is it the same as for a .45?

Any recommendations for doing similar work on a EMP 9mm?

Thanks,

MP