Aim Fast Hit Fast Review - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 10:31 PM

Aim Fast Hit Fast Review

This last weekend I attended the Aim Fast, Hit Fast class offered by Todd Green of Pistol-Training.com. I thought I would post up a review for anyone thinking of taking this class or looking for additional training. I am going to break this up into four posts to make it easier to read. Please do not post until all are up.

The class was hosted by Tom Jones of the Los Alamos Sportsmen’s Club in Los Alamos, New Mexico. Tom did a fantastic job of putting together the class and the Sportsmen's Club provided a fantastic range and facility. On a side note Tom is doing a very interesting project. He has dedicated himself to 365 days of training of one sort or the other. You can follow his progress on becoming a better shooter on his web journal located here.

I have been a gun owner since I was 21 but only became an active shooter about 3 years ago. Last year I decided to become proficient in pistol craft and started self defense training and shooting IDPA. I quickly hit a plateau in my shooting and decided I needed direction to improve. When I came across Todd’s website I was intrigued and liked the drills and gun testing that he did. When the class in Los Alamos was announced I jumped on the chance to get a slot. Up until this class my training focused on self defense and concealed carry, etc. All of that training is fine and useful but I wanted to become a better shooter. My goals for the class were as follows:

-Develop the foundations to meet my goal of 130 sec. (middle of Sharpshooter) in the IDPA classifier by the end of the year.
-Learn how to acquire my target faster
-Learn how to reload quickly
-Shoot a bunch of rounds
-Learn where my weaknesses are so I can work on them

With that lets get into the review.

The class is appropriately named. This class does not revolve around the latest ninja techniques, or law, or situation awareness, etc. The function of this weekend was quite simple. Learn how to aim faster so you can get your hits faster. As Todd would say it, “...go as fast as you can but get good hits!”

This class is designed for shooters with at least intermediate experience. The benchmark used is to draw and hit a 3x5 card on demand from 7 yards. There is no fundamentals of pistol manipulation or operation like a normal beginners class. I think it is safe to say you must be an active shooter to enjoy this class and not be left behind. With that said the class is also designed so if you are an expert shooter or an intermediate shooter you will feel comfortable working at your skill level.

The class size is limited and Todd is the only instructor. The small class size was nice and I never felt a lack of personal attention or instruction when needed from Todd.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:34 PM

Day 1

The first day started with a good safety briefing. Something that I found interesting was on the release form that you get at the beginning of every class the four safety rules needed to be written in on your own. It was a good approach and I think a small test to see if the shooters in the class were experienced enough in safety to handle the pace of the class. It was apparent to me that safety would be paramount, as it should be. Throughout the class Todd would often ask us the safety rules after breaks and lunch etc. just to keep us honest.

After the brief we were given the only lecture of the class. It was mostly about Todd’s philosophy and what we were going to learn. We then moved into mechanics that Todd was suggesting we try and use that work and make a faster more accurate shooter. I really appreciated Todd’s style of teaching. He would address the popular theories, talk about why they are the way they are and then show us what we were going to do and why. A good example of this was when he was addressing stance. Todd would say things like, “...the Korean War was fought over the weaver vs. isosceles debate.” Here is what the weaver guys think and why, here is what the isosceles guys think and why, and here is what we are going to do and why it is better.

After the lecture we did a baseline test. It is what Todd calls the FAST drill. (Fundamentals, Accuracy, Speed Test) Drill procedures can be found here. Basically it includes a little bit of everything to see where you are lacking in the disciplines of pistol craft, and provides a constant to see where you are developing. I scored high 10 seconds (+2 for head miss +1 for body miss) for the first try.

The remainder of the class was very modular on building a fast draw and target acquisition and fire in reverse. We started with sight picture and what we needed to see. Did some drills and practice. Then we moved on to our press out. This was very helpful to me and an area where I was lacking. After working on our press out we worked on the draw. Each one of these building on each other ending in an accurate fast shot.

In the after noon we worked on reloads. This was one of the most helpful sections of the class for me. I learned the fundamentals to do a lighting fast reload and manipulation. This was worth the money alone in my opinion. After being taught this technique it seemed all too simple to me.

At the end of the day we shoot the FAST drill again to gauge our progress. I did worse than the morning. Mostly due to misses.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:37 PM

Day 2

The start of day 2 was followed up by another FAST drill. I did much better on this one dropping almost 3 seconds of my first time. One student was able to break 5 seconds on the drill. Something that was not done by a student in a class prior. For his achievement he received one of Todd’s Challenge Coins. This sounds easy on paper but it is very difficult.

We then did a test called Dot Torture. This is a well designed self diagnostic tool that you can use to see where your accuracy and manipulation needs improvement. There is no speed component to this. This was another great point of the class. Todd provides you with a lot of tools and self diagnostic drills so you can see your weaknesses and address them. This is especially important to me because I do not have a shooting partner that can tell me where I am screwing up.

The remainder of the day was spent doing drills and building on the fundamentals that we learned the day prior. We did a lot of shooting while moving, walk back drills, and speed drills. To keep it interesting there were friendly competitions built into the drills with the other class members.

The final hours of the class were filled by practicing assessment drills such as the Triple Nickel, a drill that I excelled at and really liked. (probably because it was one of the few things I was doing well on) We also shot the Hawkathorn Standard. All of this was designed for us to take away something we can journal in our practice and see the progress that we are making.

The last portion of the class was another FAST drill. I was able to see the improvement in my shooting in one day. I can not wait to practice some more and build on the tools I was given.

After all of this was shoot Todd gave out completion certificates with Advanced / Intermediate / Basic rankings. All in all a great class.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:37 PM

Bottom Line

Bottom line is I would recommend this class to anyone who wants to shoot better. I think the cost for information is a fantastic deal and it was great fun.

One thing that came apparent to me is Todd is not only a teacher but also working on his development as well. He takes classes and practices and refines and passes the best of that information on to his students. I liked that he made no illusions that he likes to learn how to do things better and if someone shows him a better way he will use it.

I was able to achieve all my goals going into the class and learned a few things that made me get new goals. So my major take aways were these:

My trigger control needs work
I need to find a shooting partner
I need to dry fire practice more
I can be fast

The best techniques I learned were the press out and reload that Todd teaches. These will defiantly stay in my bag of tricks.

My only criticism of the class was the pace could have been a bit faster. By faster I mean I would have liked to shoot about 300 - 400 more rounds. (we did about 900 total) This was no fault of Todd or the curriculum , just the pace of the students in the class itself. I could have also gone another half day doing drills and practice under instruction to help refine my technique. But this is just me being greedy. All in all a great way to spend the weekend.

If you have the opportunity TAKE THIS CLASS!

Todd’s website is http://www.pistol-training.com

For those of you that are curious about gear I used my carry rig. A Les Baer Custom Carry in a Brommeland IWB holster. At times I used a Comp Tac Paddle holster (what I use in IDPA) for variety and practice. Near the end of the second day I switched to my M&P 9mm to practice my manipulations of a different kind of pistol. I wanted to do this under instruction that way if I have questions I would have been able to get them answered. I was way better with my 1911 but that is to be expected as it is my primary gun. Performance review of the gun will be posted in the Les Baer section.

I was one of two students using a 1911. Most other were on HK or Glock. There was one guy shooting a Wilson in .38 Special. Todd did make a little fun of me as he is not a 1911 fan. But because the gun made it through the class without a malfunction (no surprise to me as I only clean it every few thousand rounds anyway.) he kept the jeers to a minimum.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:05 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the review.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:44 AM

Another View

Here is a link from another person that took the same class as me.

http://www.firearmstrainingandtactic...M-8-28-29-2010