Break in period - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 07:09 AM

Break in period

At the risk of sounding like a complete newb, I just received my first Les Baer, an Ultimate Recon, yesterday. It's a beautiful gun. Put 180 rounds through it last night at work with no hiccups. My question is, there are lots of references to a break in period, about not cleaning your gun for the first so many rounds, and so on. However, I have not found anything specific. And yes, I used the search function. I was wanting to know if there is a recommended break in period (or number), how long to go before cleaning it, etc. Appreciate your help.

By the way, this will hopefully ultimately be my duty gun. We are authorized to carry Springers, Kimbers, Colts, and Rock Rivers. I have to get the blessing from the Chief, if so it will replace the Operator that I am currently carrying.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:53 AM

Congrats on the new Baer and welcome to the forum.

I've read and been told anywhere from 300 to 500 rounds to "smooth the gun in" I just add a few drops of oil to the rails and barrel hood during that time at about each 100 rounds. It's worked well for all mine.

Tell your superiors that the folks at Rock River used to be Baer employees (well some anyway) thus you are getting a very high quality pistol.

Now keep shooting, oh and we need pictures both clean and dirty of the gun!!!
Old 08-13-2010, 08:19 AM

After I got mine, I called LB to clarify their suggested break in. I was told shoot about 500 rounds to mate the parts, and clean just like you would any other 1911.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010, 09:09 AM

Being in Iowa, your chief should have no compunctions w/ blessing a Les Baer.
NRA Certified Instructor- Pistol
Old 08-14-2010, 07:20 PM

RE: Baer Break in...

Thoroughly clean and properly re-lubricate your gun after every shooting, it will be broken in when you can pull the slide back without jamming the muzzle into a wooden post first to break it loose, it may take more than 500 rds. There are some people here that will lead you to believe that you shouldn't clean it until you have shot 12,000 rds through it, which may be an extreme view, it is a duty gun for you and a clean gun works better. The good thing about Baers is their tightness which means you can shoot thousands of rds through them and they still stay tight. Stay safe.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:58 PM

After the first 250 rounds through my very tight Ultimate Master (1.5" guarantee), the first cleaning revealed metal shavings.
The racking of the slide is now reasonable and the gun is feeling just right. I consider it "broken in"
Old 08-18-2010, 11:56 AM

pull the slide back, clean out the gunk and put a little Break Free on the rails.
Don't strip 'till you get to a t least 500.....more is better.
Clean out the extractor hole when you do strip......Les told me that the extractor should be cleaned at about 800......replace springs at 2,500
ENJOY
Old 08-18-2010, 12:23 PM

My Stinger came with instructions to not clean for 300 rounds. I ran about 150 through it and it seemed "good to go" to me. The trigger was a little creepy, so I had that corrected and ran another 150 through it before cleaning. I did field strip, check and lube it before shooting and in-between those range trips, I just didn't clean it. I don't like a dirty pistol and honestly don't think running one that way helps anything, but I did because that's what it said.

My TRS had no such instructions with it when it came, but I did the same with it as well. Including having the creepy trigger corrected.. Cheers.. Ron

PS: Both pistols were tight to unlock before running them, but not to the point of "wacking them on the table" to open them..
Old 08-18-2010, 07:05 PM

Based on this forum, I broke in my CC with 600 rounds before I stripped and cleaned. It was tough to wait that long to clean it but you could feel it "smoothing in". The trigger is still getting smoother after about 1800 rounds.
COTEP #162
Dan Wesson CBOB and PM7, Les Baer Custom Carry, Kahr CW9, Nighthawk Talon, M&P Pro
Old 08-22-2010, 03:05 PM

I happen to clean my guns after every range shoot regardless of the round count. I now have 500 rounds through my Baer, have cleaned it 3 times and I think it is completely broken in. Never a single misfire and an overhand rack of the slide is a breeze.
Clean your gun....fun to do and makes functioning perfect.
Oh...please consider the finest product for cleaning/lubricating I've ever used. One Shot Cleaner/ Lube from Hornady. Wonderful stuff!

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0032432214927a.shtml
Old 09-08-2010, 07:58 PM

Ultimate Recon

Garth House,

Would you mind posting some pics of your recon. I ordered one and like you, it will be my first LB. Sure would like to see what I'm in store for!

Thanks,
Kev
Old 09-08-2010, 08:21 PM

I waited and cleaned at the recommended 500rds. A drop or two of oil in the right spots along the way.

I clean about 1000-1500rds now and its tight at lockup but once it comes back a half inch or so its smooth as all get out. The bushing is still stupid tight though at well past 5k rounds.

Not one malfunction due to the gun, one of the mags puked a follower into the breach once but that was eventually fixed. And no fault of the gun, it might of even happened when I was shooting my Brown. I dont remember now.

Mine might or might not be normal though. I mean after all the bluing is holding up as well as any other blued pistol Ive owned over the years.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Banned

Congrats!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:23 PM

"Break-in"? There's no such thing. The gun either runs, or it doesn't.

Once you can proclaim it "fit for carry", based on shooting your carry loads, it's good to go.

What happens to Baers is, they become "velvetized" after about 2000rds. There's just "something" that happens to them at this point that can't be otherwise described. They just get silky-smooth and run like a swiss watch.

The best way to "break in" a Baer is to run is dirty for the first 1000rds; keeping the feed ramp and extractor tunnel clean and keeping impact surfaces (rails, etc.) "wet".
Old 09-10-2010, 02:14 AM

+1 to Azone. Shoot them, it will happen.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:04 AM

I've never heard a scientific explaination of why you shouldn't clean your gun until it's broken in. It would probably help to shoot it some first so that everything isn't so tight and sticky that you need to hammer the parts back together. Aside from that, don't worry about not heeding the dire warning against cleaning your gun before you've shot it some certain hundred numbers of times and thus unleashing an unspeakable evil from the depths of the earth to plague mankind in retribution for your insolent transgression. It's just metal.

...Or is it?
Old 09-10-2010, 06:29 AM

All the experts said to not clean until you have 500 through it. So, thats what I did. lube and a quick wipe down every 150 or so. smooth as snot. have a few thousand through it now, and its still perfect.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:34 AM

Baer

Do not confuse "do not clean for 500 rounds" with "do not lube". Lube it, shoot it, don't worry about it. Les means (I believe I spoke to the Lady at Baer long ago about this) just do not strip down and clean. I telephoned Baer as there was nothing in my Baer Papers that indicated this procedure. Seems to be everywhere on the net though. Does it say anything about that procedure in your papers? Just lube it, soon enough 10 boxes will be through it. I have a Mono Heavy that I've always cleaned and lubed. It has ran flawlessly for several thousand rounds.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshock View Post
I've never heard a scientific explaination of why you shouldn't clean your gun until it's broken in. It would probably help to shoot it some first so that everything isn't so tight and sticky that you need to hammer the parts back together. Aside from that, don't worry about not heeding the dire warning against cleaning your gun before you've shot it some certain hundred numbers of times and thus unleashing an unspeakable evil from the depths of the earth to plague mankind in retribution for your insolent transgression. It's just metal.

...Or is it?
I wondered about this too, so I called LB a few months ago, and asked him about the 'no clean' break-in procedure. He said there is no such recommended procedure, and that you should clean your Les Baer "just like you would any other 1911" during break-in.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:11 PM

My TRS was broken in somewhere between first and third rounds fired. I like wet rails on new pistols, TRS is blue steel so I used Militec. Wait 500 rounds for cleaning per manual, but I kept it wet. A drop on barrel lugs & link pin, drop on the barrel at bushing, a drop on bushing at slide,a few more here n there.

Did I say per manual? I meant to say per Manuel, hes the landscaper, and is x spurt on ..well everything.

Last edited by Onegoodshot; 09-10-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:26 PM

Hey Garth House,
You've received many good answers to your first question relating to the number of rounds to break your Baer in. I 've owned my first PII for almost 20 years now, and she ran reliably from round one, but......my test on ANY 1911 is a minimum of 200 rounds of the ammo that I'm going to carry with NO malfs before it's good to go. And be sure to "limp wrist", cock your elbow and create as many possible real world problems as possible during your qualification of the firearm. You're playing in the real world out there, so you need to know that your weapon is really backing you up. And thanks for what you're doing to keep the Sheeple safe, brother!

Take care
Old 09-10-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshock View Post

...Or is it?
The reason for not cleaning it is pretty simple. You are depositing carbon all over the inside of the gun. If kept wet, but dirty, these deposits create an extremely fine lapping compound, which helps surfaces "marry". In the past, and even during the ammo crisis, a lot of guys were creating their own lapping compounds out of things like kroil and JB Borebrite. I just prefer shooting.

As stated above, it's critical to keep the deposition viscous. You don't want it drying out and collecting in low spots, making them lower.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:21 PM

instructions in my concept III, I rec. monday the 20th

" Do to the tight tolerances between the slide and frame;please DO NOT remove the lubricant that is eveident on the pistol.
Normal break-in period for your custom is approximatly 200-300 rounds,with the lubricant left on the gun.
After break in-in period, use a toop quality lubricant such as Molecular Metal Conditioners, synthetic blended metal conditioner, break-free clp,ect...."
Old 09-24-2010, 09:36 PM

Shoot, clean & lube, shoot, clean & lube, shoot clean & lube
Old 09-25-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbiker View Post
Shoot, clean & lube, shoot, clean & lube, shoot clean & lube
That's what I have done with every 1911 I have ever owned. I put 200 flawless rounds through my new Baer today and it now sits on the table clean, oiled/greased, and ready to go for another workout.

If I would have had problems, then maybe i would have felt like it needed to be broke in more, but mine worked right out of the box.

On the other hand, my new DoubleStar DSC 1911 will require a little more break in time.