Advise Please on T Series, Tangent Sight, Hi Power - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-11-2010, 02:02 PM

Advise Please on T Series, Tangent Sight, Hi Power

I would appreciate your advise on an opportunity I have to purchase a new, late 1960s T series Hi Power with tangent rear sight. The seller is asking just under $1,200. The pistol comes complete with its Browning pouch and manual. The Hi Power is a one owner gun that has never been handled, racked, cocked, etc. I know the owner and trust the history of this piece. I like the idea of having a T series along with my C. Looking through the online gun listings, it seems this Hi Power, in its new condition, is fairly rare.

My first firearm purchase was a new Tangent rear sight C series that I purchased in 1975 from Steinbergs in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Interestingly, this company remains in business today as Lipseys Wholesale Firearms Distributor. I have not shot the pistol more that 500 rounds as it became a safe queen for me many years ago. Here are some photos of that C Series Hi Power.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:41 PM

Since you asked; my advice-buy it.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:47 PM

$1200.00 is high-but not for that gun.
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2010, 06:35 PM

VERY nice example but too high IMHO.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:27 PM

I purchased this one a few months ago. It is just as new. My FFL had just received it from an estate. It did not have the original pouch, but it is really perfect in every way. Even the grips are perfect. IT is also a 69/70 T Series with Tangent sight. I paid $1000 for it, and don't regret it for a minute.

The reflection on the gun looks like blue wear, but there is none.

COTEP #125
Old 08-12-2010, 12:28 AM

Price is about right-currently most Hi Power prices on the web are a bit over inflated-likely to remain so. With only 7,000 tangent Browning Hi Powers imported (not including the later MKIII tangent), this model is not common. Below a 1966 Browning tangent I picked up last year.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:54 AM

Thanks

Thanks folks, I appreciate your help with this. I guess the consensus is that it is a little high, but not too high for a collectible and somewhat rare version of this Browning Hi Power.

And thanks for posting your photos of the T Series. Very nice indeed!
Old 08-25-2010, 08:54 PM

Nice gun....

however every gun has been handled, racked and cocked. Thats the only way to put them together. With that said, it in in fantastic condition. I paid $850 for my last one in this condition 3 years ago and had to locate a pouch and manual.

I firmly believe that you cannot pay to much for a nice example....you can only buy them a bit early. If it's not worth $1200 today, it certainly will be soon.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:02 AM

Another T-Series Question

I picked this T series up for $200 15 years ago. I have never know anything about it to be honest. But all the other pictures of the same model have the weapon in a different pain finish?

Also, why are the markings different and on the left side of the gun, nothing is in English and nothing is mentined about being made in Canada?
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00648s.JPG  
Old 11-11-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSA Browning View Post
I picked this T series up for $200 15 years ago. I have never know anything about it to be honest. But all the other pictures of the same model have the weapon in a different pain finish?
FN (Fabrique Nationale) manufactured HP's in finishes other than polished blue.

Quote:
Also, why are the markings different and on the left side of the gun, nothing is in English and nothing is mentined about being made in Canada?
The only HP's made in Canada were the WWII era Inglis Hi Powers which have a very rough appearance compared to Belgian made FN HP's. Many FN Hi Powers imported by Browning Arms will have "Browning Arms Company Morgan, Utah & Montreal PQ" on the left side of the slide because those are the cities where Browning has their corporate offices. Older Browning HP's will have St Louis instead of Morgan, Utah.

Hi Powers that were not imported by Browning may have all or most of their markings in French.

$20 transfers ($10 for CHL, active military/police/fire, schoolteachers)
Old 11-12-2010, 08:09 AM

Thanks for that information. One of the gunsmiths told me that this weapon would have lost a lot of its value due to the fact that it was not in its original finish. But from you have said, this is still probably original.

Just to confirm, yes, everything is in French it seems. Would the value of this weapon be any different from the other T series models that have been discussed in this forum?

I am looking to sell this one to get a more useable weapon but am not sure if i should rather hold on to it if it?
Old 11-12-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSA Browning View Post
...But from you have said, this is still probably original...
Just to be clear....I didn't say that was the original finish, only that FN produces Hi Powers in a variety of finishes. The roll marks on your HP are pretty sharp, usually a refinish will round off the lettering by overuse of a buffing wheel.

Why did your gunsmith believe it was a refinish?

$20 transfers ($10 for CHL, active military/police/fire, schoolteachers)
Old 11-12-2010, 02:24 PM

Its probably worth it in a good market, but $1200 is kind of high, $1000 would make it a more comfortable buy.

Also the T model tangent sight model is very rare.

Remember the gun is only really worth what you could turn around and sell it for with in about 2 weeks of you buying it.

Or if you need it to complete a browning collection they you pay what you want to get it.

Most BHP buyers are shooters, not collectors and don't really care about T, C, or modern models unless the are collectors.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:31 PM

This gun doesn't seem to be a T model, all the T models I've seen have the serial # on on the right side of the frame, this one desn't .

If the serial # is on the grip frame its more likely a C model or more recent date.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton850 View Post
This gun doesn't seem to be a T model, all the T models I've seen have the serial # on on the right side of the frame, this one desn't .

If the serial # is on the grip frame its more likely a C model or more recent date.
It is a C - he is thinking of buying a T but posted pics of a tangent C he bought earlier
Old 11-15-2010, 01:53 AM

Hi Guys.

Sorry but i have created a bit of confusion on this thread. I should have started a completely new thread but since the second weapon seen on this thread was exactly like mine, I thought that i would just add onto it. The weapon i have is placed in an attachment from a thread posted last week (11-11-2010, 10:02 AM ).

Dogtown Tom, the gunsmith thought that it had been refinished due to it not being in Blue. But also i must mention that I am from South Africa and this recognised gunsmith had actually never held one of these before.

Norton850, thanks for the info. I suppose what i really wanted to know is if this Belgian model would be worth anthing more than the Inglis one?

Thanks
Old 04-03-2011, 01:04 AM

I have a friend who has an unfired 1968 tangent sight Hi Power he is looking to sell me. It has one serial number begining with "T2+" on the frame, blonde wood grips, made in "USA" tagged Browning pouch. The only wear (very minimal) detectable is on the lower part of the slide directly in front of the lower front of the frame. It has a ring style hammer, no shoulder stock cut and is marked Browning not F.N.
He is asking 1500 for it. I am not a collector but given the provenance of the pistol I am tempted to put it in a case just to look at. I guess I am just trying to determine if this a reasonable price for this piece.
Thanks in advance for any information.

"Was it like this?" fiercely answered Morant. "No; it was not quite so handsome. As to rules and regulations, we had no Red Book, and knew nothing about them. We were out fighting the Boers, not sitting comfortably behind barb-wire entanglements; we got them and shot them under Rule 303,"
Old 04-03-2011, 01:59 PM

Kinda high...hard to tell without good photos, but $1000.00 to 1200.00 for a VERY nice Tangent T is closer to what most are going for now.
Bob
Old 04-03-2011, 09:21 PM

Goin to take some pictures this week. I'll post them then.
Thanks.