1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcgm View Post
Don't own one because Les screwed up the only gun I ever sent to him for work and haven't wanted to deal with him since. And the only one of these that comes to our matches acts up more than it runs. But if you want to pay him that much for his gun, go ahead. I bought the S&W DK .45 for about $900, put another $200 in it for a Cylinder and Slide 3 lb trigger kit and a Novak fiber optic front sight and have put over 20,000 rounds through it in IDPA and IPSC matches over the past year and a half with no noticeable wear and no problems. Have less than $900 in my Kimber TLE II and won CDP with it the first IDPA match I took it to. Buy any of the good 1911's and spend the time learning to shoot it and you'll get your money's worth. For buying .45 acp brass, I watch auctions on gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com and wait for ones that end at $50-55 a thousand, add $10-14 shipping and you have fairly reasonable prices on it. Usually a seller will have more for sale and you can get 2,000 for one shipping charge in one box and at $110-124 total you've got a good quantity for your next long reloading session at $55 to 62 a thousand.
Sorry but youre experience with Baer is far from the norm.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinnix View Post
Why do you ask. Do you need to be a competitive shooter to own a Les Baer?
I ask because it could help me (us?) recommend a suitable pistol with appropriate features. I had assumed you were into bullseye shooting. So much for assumptions.

Seems your idea to go with the Baer is a good one.

Frankly though, the whole idea of "extended life" out of the brass is overblown (pun intended!) 9mm brass will last you a good long time and 45 ACP seems to last forever. I have cases still going since 1993 when I bought 1k of new Winchester cases. I started shooting 38 Super in steel plate matches 3 years ago. I still reload the same 1k starline cases, over and over! The load is moderate, 1030 FPS with a 130 gr jacketed RN.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:28 PM

Thanks but I went with John at Pro Load and he had only one 9mm with adjustable sights. It is a model that shoots 3 inch groups not the 1.5 inch groups. I was amazed when I found out that there is such a long wait for a 9mm or a 38 super verses a 45 ACP. I am excited about getting the best quality firearm I have ever purchased. I am into watch collecting and have a lot of money invested or should I say into very nice Swiss automatic timepieces There is a large comeback to the art of a good mechanical timepieces after the quartz Japanese watches. I like good quality craftsmanship and I am sure I will like the Les Baer and will enjoy shooying it HOPEFULLY for years to come. I am looking forward to breaking it in and then when it starts to cycle and shoot the way it s designed to shoot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdB View Post
I ask because it could help me (us?) recommend a suitable pistol with appropriate features. I had assumed you were into bullseye shooting. So much for assumptions.

Seems your idea to go with the Baer is a good one.

Frankly though, the whole idea of "extended life" out of the brass is overblown (pun intended!) 9mm brass will last you a good long time and 45 ACP seems to last forever. I have cases still going since 1993 when I bought 1k of new Winchester cases. I started shooting 38 Super in steel plate matches 3 years ago. I still reload the same 1k starline cases, over and over! The load is moderate, 1030 FPS with a 130 gr jacketed RN.
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks but I went with John at Pro Load and he had only one 9mm with adjustable sights. It is a model that shoots 3 inch groups not the 1.5 inch groups. I was amazed when I found out that there is such a long wait for a 9mm or a 38 super verses a 45 ACP. I am excited about getting the best quality firearm I have ever purchased. I am into watch collecting and have a lot of money invested or should I say into very nice Swiss automatic timepieces There is a large comeback to the art of a good mechanical timepieces after the quartz Japanese watches. I like good quality craftsmanship and I am sure I will like the Les Baer and will enjoy shooying it HOPEFULLY for years to come. I am looking forward to breaking it in and then when it starts to cycle and shoot the way it s designed to shoot.
More than likely it will be doing so from day one.

Practice doesn't make perfect; perfect practice makes perfect.
-J. G. Hale
Old 08-03-2010, 01:56 PM

Here is the gun case that they give you with your custom firearm.

Here is is packed in the high end carry box. LOL

And here are the right and left side photo's of the pistol that I will start the break in tomorrow, I was joking about the carry case. I have a bunch of them and they collect dust as all my guns are in my fireproof safe. I do not need another one.

There she is I cannot wait to fire it and see how well it shoots once it is broken in.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:20 PM

I was able to make it to the range today and I ran 250 or the recomended 500 rounds of factory ammunition. It shot perfect, There were no mis fssds or stove pipes or any glitches at all I stated shooting at 18 yards and it was grouping great but low and to the left. I raised the rear sight and moved it to the right and was able to shoot the center out of the targets. I then took a break and went for a drive to cool off in an air conditioned care and get some money for dinner and some sodas at the club house. They serve dinners on Wednesdays. I shot another 150 rounds at 25 yards and the gun shot just as tight as it did at 18 yards. The only misses were my fault. The guns meets and breaks my expectations. I am going to shoot the rest of the 250 rounds tomorrow so I can take it apart and clean it per instructions. Then I can start to come up with a load that shoots the best out of the gun. I have 115 120 122, 125 and 147 grain bullets to try and different powders from HP 38 to Power Pistol. So I have a lot of work ahead of me, I will rephrase that I have a lot of fun in front of me to come up with the right shooting load for 25 yards and for 50 yards. I am going to start watching the bulls-eye league and see if I am capable and would enjoy getting involved it shooting in that league.
All In All I am thrilled with my purchase of the Les Baer and I know that the way the Springfield was shooting was the gun and not me. The springer is a great gun if it had a tight bushing and barrel and the slide tightened and a trigger job it would be a good shooting gun. As far as a fun gun to shoot The Springer meets the bill. I am now spoiled buy owning a custom made gun that shoot really well.
Thanks for all the support knowledge and input again.

Last edited by xinnix; 08-04-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:18 PM

I'm glad to hear you like your Baer.

I don't miss my Springer either!

I liked my Premier II, in .45 so much, when I saw one in .38 super for sale, locally, CHEAP, I HAD to buy it. Now, I have to put together a few different loads for it, and see what it will do.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psypher View Post
Interested to know where you got your Box at?
2 SRP's
Old 09-07-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Here is the gun case that they give you with your custom firearm.

Here is is packed in the high end carry box. LOL

And here are the right and left side photo's of the pistol that I will start the break in tomorrow, I was joking about the carry case. I have a bunch of them and they collect dust as all my guns are in my fireproof safe. I do not need another one.

There she is I cannot wait to fire it and see how well it shoots once it is broken in.
very nice gun...congrats.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:59 AM

Thanks,
She is shooting great with a 125 grain hard cast bullet in a light load of 5 grains of Power Pistol set at an OAL of 1.10 inches. I tried some new cast bullets. They are just a tad larger in diameter and seem to shoot well. They are made by Mastercastbullets.com 125 TCN and the diameters are true at .3565 inches. I do not know it the 0.0005 inch makes a difference. It is a really light 9mm load that is comfortable to shoot. I have been having a hard time with my hands since I got the Baer. I have not shot anymore than I did before if anything less but my hands are so cramped during the night that it wakes me up. I am 50 and have health problems with back and neck and have had surgeries for both but I have been able to shoot and it has not bothered me. When I started loading my hands bothered me and I put some heavy foam padding on the aluminum handle of my Dillon XL 650. It could be neck related if I am holding my head different and it is causing the hands to hurt. I do not think it is my hand per say as I shot abut 600 to 800 rounds a week before with my 1911 Springfield. Now I am only shooting half of that one because of the heat and the other because I package my re loads different and do not know how much I am shooting. I shoot until I am satisfied and the come home. When I clean the brass I see I have only shot about 150 to 200 rounds. I am shooting slow and for accuracy so It could be the way I am holding my neck and causing a nerve pinch.
I have to study my shooting form and see if it has changed. I hope that is it and not arthritis in the hands. I have it in other areas of the body and would hate it if my hands and it limits my shooting after spending the money on the Dillon and the Les Baer. I need to trouble shoot my form and see it it has changed. I am going to take my Springfield with me and see how my grip and stance are different between the two pistols.
Thanks for the congrats. The Les is a heck of a shooting pistol and is great to be able to group at 25 yards like I have never been able to shoot before. The NRA 50 ft targets with the 2.25 inch centers that I am shooting at now I am just about able to keep all nine or ten shot depending on the magazine in the 7,8.9 and 10X scoring rings. Before with the springer I had a hard time shooting 4 inch groups. now I am down to 2.5 to 3 inches at 25 yard groups. I have changed the recoil spring and firing pin spring as I have over 3000 rounds through her now. I am amazed that I still need the tool for the bushing. I though it would of been loose by now. That just hows how tight and well made they are. That is what keeps the groups so good. I was surprised on how fair the spring prices were fro Les. I bought at least a years worth of recoil an firing pin springs. The recoil wolf springs were $6.00 each. This was cheaper than Brownell's and they were a different size because of the 9mm So I would of ordered the wrong springs so the prices from Les are fair after they major purchase. That is good to know. I got rid of the roll on the trigger by taking Cape Cod polishing clothes and lightly cleaned the sear and hammer then I used Eno's slide glide for a sear lubricant instaed of FP-10 or Break Free lubricant only. I use the Break Free Lubricant only for lubing the pistol after cleaning with Shooters Choice on the barrel. It get's any lead out but I have very little to no lead with the light loads I am shooting.
Thanks and if anyone wants a nice 1911 9mm go for the Les Baer. Most people shoot 45ACP but I have always shot 9mm and am set up for loading 9 and do not shoot competition so the 9mm was the best choice or me.
Here are some photo's of targets from 25 yards from a bench rest. These are 50FT NRA Pistol targets. about 2.5 inch center.

Earlier shooting at 3 inch centers home made targets. I like the NRA targets better.

Thanks

Last edited by xinnix; 09-08-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:23 PM

I have a LB Premeir II, I bought used. I did do a trigger job using the extreme hammer/sear/disconnector. I has a 1.75 trigger pull. I can shoot a pretty close 2" group at 25 yds, off hand.
I load 230 FMJ/4.1 Clays/1.255 OAL/with a 13 or 14 lb spring.
I have had many 1911's and the LB is the best buy on the market.

One thing on shooting groups, you dont need the 1.5 gun from LB to shoot a good group at 25 yds. Believe or not, it is more of a mental process with a good understand of the fundentmentals.

I have had 1911's with stock barrels and trigger work that would shoot a 2" group at 25 yds.

So, shooting groups help with a good gun but everyone take notice that shooting a good group, has more to do with executing the fundentmentals.

BTW, everyone who has a desire to shoot in competion or just wants to shoot a handgun accurately, should practice shooting groups at 25 yds/off hand, not on a rest but standing up, unsopported

good luck.

Last edited by angie diaz; 10-12-2010 at 10:24 PM. Reason: change of mind
Old 10-28-2010, 04:02 PM

I have had a LB P2 since 1996. I have shot the snot out of it. Over 50,000 rounds easy. Still can shoot clovers from a rest @25yds. I have broke it twice. Les fixed it twice. I also have aKimber that I had work done to. I got the Kimber at cost when they first came out. Mins an Oregon one. By the time I did everything that i wnated it was only a couple of hundred less than the P2. I shoulda just bought another Baer. I have shot USPSA since 1988 and have used the P2 since 96.

Last edited by BB 4XL; 10-28-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:07 AM

I am one of those people who was not impressed with my Les Baer Premier II.
I ordered it from Impact Guns in Utah. I live in Texas.

Problem one.
When the pistol arrived, I unpacked it from the cheap cardboard box they come in. Upon inspection, I noticed a small flaw (steel showing) in the bluing on the slide up near the front sight. I called Les Baer to see what they wanted me to do. A grumpy old woman told me they had no control over their firearms once they left the factory. I told her this was a manufacturing issue not damage from shipping. She still refused to help. I own numerous 1911s and anytime I have a problem with one, the manufacturer is always happy to help. I told the woman I would send her an email with a picture of the damage attached for them to review. She said they were not interested in looking at it.

Problem two.
My Premier II did not shoot as accurately as I had hoped for. I paid extra for the 1.5" group gaurantee at 50 yards. This pistol did not perform any better than my $750 Springfield "Loaded". I shot a few thousand rounds through it to make sure it was fully broken in. The accuracy did not improve, so I trade it off.

Problem three.
Was with the extreme tightness Baer products have. My Wilson Combat 1911 shoots better than my Baer, and it can be disassembled by hand. With the Baer I had to use a steel bushing wrench to dissamemble the pistol.

After my experience with the Customer Service at Les Baer, I will never own another firearm he produces. This is just one man's opinion for you to consider.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:37 AM

My PII 1.5" had some issues when brand new. It definitley required a breaking-in but since the early issues (pretty big trigger creep and stovepipe/FTF) it has been a tack driver with zero issues. I didn't send it back to LB and used a local gunsmith to solve all.

After maybe 1500 rds of ball, the barrell bushing is still more than finger-tight and it eats plastic/fiber wrenches (I've found that a 'Cookie Wrench' works great) but I won't be trading it anytime soon.

YMMV.