1911Forum banner

New experience!

976 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  NAMVET72 
#1 · (Edited)
I had a little range time with my new RIA 1911. Felt good and fed everything I stuffed in the magazine. But, I had a small problem. Ever have a slam fire? That's exciting! I had put in an after market trigger (adjustable travel) and after the second magazine the hammer wouldn't stay cocked (evidently the adj. screw worked it's way deeper, not allowing the trigger to reset completely). Hmmm, don't like this! I was cocking/shooting for a magazine or two, just to get some ammo through it. Then I fed a new mag, racked the slide, and bang! OOPS! Lets try that again. No prob, hammer wouldn't stay fully cocked, but no slam fire. Next magazine, I dropped the slide using the slide stop, bang!, bang! Yahoo! That's a new experience for me!:biglaugh: Put her in her box and shot my 2" .38 the rest of the day. I was by my self at an outdoors shooting "place", so my actions did not endanger anyone. I was careful to keep the muzzle down range and at the end of my shooting I was only putting 2 or 3 rounds in the mag., so I felt no danger.

When I got home I backed off the adjusting screw several turns and now El Pistola seems to work as designed. Worked the slide by hand several times and the hammer stays cocked. Dropped the slide in place w/the slide stop and the hammer stays cocked. I'll locktite that little bugger in place or switch back to the factory trigger. But it was a fun, and exciting day! :rofl:

Edit 6/23. Replaced trigger with original. Shot about 200+ rounds today with nary a hitch. Shot a lot of handloads and had 3 FTFeed.; all in the same batch (.452" LRN w/4.5 gr W231. 1.272" OAL), could be the mouth still had a small amount of flare and hung up on the ramp. All the other reloads worked well with fair accuracy; 4.5 gr W231 under a 230 gr. LRN @ .452" shot into 2 1/2" at 12 yards. Pretty good for the first 200 rounds in a new gun.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.