Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-17-2020, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Community: Site Platform Update Coming Soon

Dear Community Members,

Over the past year or two, there have been updates to the environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software this site uses. This has made it increasingly difficult and frustrating to support and upgrade to more modern reliable standards that users deserve. Our advertising experience and certain ad partners have further degraded the functionality of the site. This is not the experience we want for the members of this community.

Members want a fast site that performs well across all devices, to be able to find relevant and interesting content, and easily share through text, images, video, and messaging on a secure platform. Our goal is to provide this ultimate user experience to all members.

We will be implementing a new platform to better meet the needs of this community and allow us to provide support more efficiently. Our focus is to create a sustainable platform that performs well and loads faster on all devices while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating - by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process. We make every effort to review existing settings and make the changes needed so the migration goes smoothly. If you notice something doesn’t seem correct once the site goes live, don’t panic! We’ll have a dedicated person monitoring as the site goes live to answer any questions and provide support through this change.

What’s next?

I bet you’re thinking, “What does this mean for me and the community?” It does mean change, but it will help solve a large majority of the issues that this site may have been experiencing. We have reviewed reported issues, site statistics, traffic data, and user feedback to help us prioritize the changes and improvements. Uploading an image or video will be easier and streamlined. Ad formatting will change with a new site layout. The site will be more responsive - there is no need to use a mobile skin or special app! Security and user privacy will continue to be a top priority.

When will this be happening? Soon! We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. You’ll start to see activity related to cleanup in preparation for migration very shortly. We will post an announcement to the community prior to starting the actual data migration. Once the migration begins, the site will go into maintenance mode and will be read-only while data is being migrated.

We appreciate each member’s contribution to this community and look forward to an improved experience for you all.

- The Management
Old 08-17-2020, 06:50 PM

This is the same announcement you made elsewhere and it’s not in the best interest of the members. It’s in the best interest of the advertisers who don’t actually participate here. This place will lose its ‘soul’ and become a flavorless wasteland.
Anyone doubt me take a look at the Colt forum and see if you can make sense of it.
This forum works perfectly fine and I’ve got no issues with any functions. You’re changing it to make your advertisers happy not us, just admit it.
You’ll do what you want because THEY own the place and I can’t stop it. But same as over there once implemented you’ll chase off an uncountable number of people here like you did there. Good luck.

BOOOOO
COTEP#782

Last edited by 7.62Kolectr; 08-17-2020 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:27 PM

I've never had a problem with the function of the sight before this cut-over. Been posting for many years.

Still don't have my supported "badge" back, it disappeared over a week ago.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2020, 12:21 PM

As long as I am logged in I don't get any advertisements. That is just one of the great things about this site. I realize you have to do what you have to do but I really hope it is for better. The forum has been pretty near perfect as for as I am concerned.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:55 PM

The beginning of the end, seen it at several other sites already.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:14 PM

Tapatalk?

Is that what you have in mind?

That's just WRONG.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:06 PM

Happy (I guess) that I'm not alone in that even senior members have seen their site Supporter badges and avatars disappear. Never had any problems with the site thus far and I've been a member and Supporter for years. Is this ever going to fixed?
Old 09-10-2020, 04:33 PM

I have been here for awhile.(2006) Don't post a lot. But do a lot of reading. If this forum changes to the soulless type of board that the M14 forum did, I will probably do what many will do, leave.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:05 PM

Please make it easier to post pics. Having to use a 3rd party host for good quality pics is a turn off.
http://www.evolutionarmory.com/
Old 09-10-2020, 06:23 PM

Is this a migration to a newer vBulletin version or to another system altogether?

I really like vBulletin, its what I have gotten used to for years here and on other forums. There's are other forum software systems around, some are just impossible to navigate through if it is a busy forum... you can lose track of where you last posted.

But vBulletin is easy to navigate.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:10 PM

Attached is a screen shot of one thing that is no longer available on the Colt Forum. The member directory also went away. Complaining is a waste of time. The owner has a jillion of these web sites, controls most media in Canada and is gonna standardize everything he can. Learning the new system is more of a challenge than I was willing to tackle. The software designers have proven to me the rabbit hole is not worth the trip. Having said all that, I have already seen this movie, know the plot. I’m still gonna watch train wreck V2.
Attached Thumbnails
3476ADDA-33A4-4705-940E-1D7EEDE3BD93.png  

Last edited by STORM2; 09-10-2020 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:12 PM

This is very discouraging.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:26 AM

It took a while for me to contribute and actively support this forum which has been the best adjunct to shooting sports in general and 2A. The main reason is “the community” Here that makes it so valuable. I just hope the decision makers with whatever new format are keeping that ( user’s and members) in the forefront of these changes. This forum, as others have said works fine when logged in. It does not seem ‘broken’. Not to sound negative, but I’ve yet to see a software update of any kind, nevermind what sounds like a larger scale change, that actually improves the user’s experience. My ‘supporter’ designation vanished as well, so that’s one negative already.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:38 AM

Very sorry and disappointed to see it change. This has been the best firearms forum on the Net and I'm sorry to see it change. The coltforum.com recently made a massive change to "make it better for the user" and it has been a huge disappointment to most users who post over there. "Don't change it if it ain't broke" doesn't seem to apply anymore.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:37 AM

It's all about money. Advertisement and selling members info.

And making it easier to use this site on a phone while driving down the road. Every forum I used to frequent went to new formats. I left those all behind.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:36 PM

of the forums that I am a member of, this one is user friendly. I am on the AKfiles often. but after the "improvement" I just get frustrated easy and sign off. I do a great deal of reading here and seldom do much posting but still try to IF it will help someone.
sooooo....... not looking forward to this "hope & change" it really is simple the way it is.
Old 09-11-2020, 05:11 PM

Admin, please listen to your members.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbee View Post
Admin, please listen to your members.
Says it all.

I've seen fabulous web-based "communities" destroyed by owners and their admins.

Funny how each time, up front, they wove a tale of big forthcoming improvements in the user experience.

The "big improvements" unfortunately were as empty as the pledges made by the very worst sort of politicians.

And the site users left in droves, leaving only a gutted-out skeleton for the advertisers/data sharing "partners".

I hope this isn't the end of our 1911 Forum community. I've devoted a lot of time here and "met" many friends. I've enjoyed it all.

But if the site owners wish to kill it, the participating members can't do much about it, beyond walking away in silent sadness. That's the only "vote" we have. One thing is for certain... members here are not lemming-like followers, they aren't in anyone's pocket.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 09-11-2020 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:39 AM

Is this site owned by the same people/company who own the Walther Forum, XD Forum, Defensive Carry Forum and many others?

If so, each of those forums have lost their regulars because the interface SUCKS. One admin admitted that the traffic usually goes down after they make the switch, but then goes back up after 6-12 months... But they do not account for the fact that all the regulars have left.

If it is the same group - it doesn't matter how many of us complain - they will be making the switch anyway.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:06 PM

Well, like my dad always use to say, if you're unhappy with the level of service you receive, complain with your wallet, not your mouth!!

Perhaps the die hard members (most of which I believe are "Site Supporters") should cease supporting the site. Very likely it wont change a thing, but at least it may send a louder message than simply posting your grievance.

Likely the format change will earn the owner more revenue in advertising than would be lost in supporter money, so the point is moot. This is happening...embrace the change, or walk away.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:07 PM

I’ve been on this forum since 2001. This is a good site with little ‘background noise’ and temperaments are kept chilled. If it is like many other sites, the distraction can be discouraging.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If it’s not a Kimber, it’s a copy.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:24 PM

problems?

it doesn't get much more low tech than myself and I have no problem with this forum ...

what is being corrected?
Old 09-13-2020, 12:35 PM

Well? WTHeck? I hope they are still working on things?
Can’t tell when a thread was started? Can’t tell when a member joined? Can’t tell how many posts anyone has, is new or old? This is just like plain water and tasteless.
COTEP#782
Old 09-13-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62Kolectr View Post
Well? WTHeck? I hope they are still working on things?
Can’t tell when a thread was started? Can’t tell when a member joined? Can’t tell how many posts anyone has, is new or old? This is just like plain water and tasteless.
That's weird, I can see your join date, location and post count, just as always.
I'm on my desktop, but just tried it on the iPad and iPhone and it's the same.
Pedro.
VCDL
Old 09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro 1 View Post
That's weird, I can see your join date, location and post count, just as always.
I'm on my desktop, but just tried it on the iPad and iPhone and it's the same.
Pedro.
Never mind. Somehow clearing cookies and some other settings on my iPhone messed things up. I clicked back on ‘desktop view’ and it’s the same as it was.
COTEP#782