Feed Failure w/ 8 Rounds - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-18-2010, 02:23 AM

Feed Failure w/ 8 Rounds

Hi all... I'm new to handguns and bought a Taurus PT1911 AR today.

I haven't fired it yet, just been going through the cleaning process and ejecting rounds to get used to the slide pull.

One issue I've come across is this:

If I have 8 rounds loaded into the mag, when I pull the slide to chamber the first round, it will get stuck before entering the chamber and the slide will be stuck about halfway back. Fixing this requires pulling the slide back, depressing the mag release, and pulling the mag out. The first round will remain in the mag but will be partially pushed out.

With 7 rounds only, the issue does not occur.

I've looked around and found some sites that say it may be related to weak springs in the mag that just don't have enough "oomph" to properly push that 8th round in all the way. I've also read some sites that say the mag springs may just need to be exercised a bit with 7 rounds and then they should be good for the full 8.

I was just wondering if this is a common occurrence and nothing to be worried about?

I've ordered a Wilson Combat mag as I've read good things about them, but would like to continue using the stock Taurus mags as well.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:40 AM

I would try and break it in for a bit first. Hiccups aren't unusual when fresh out of the box.

The stock mag on my RIA 1911 did a nose down FTF when I first got it... not a concern any more. Wore itself in after first range session.

The Wilson mags are good stuff. I have a couple, and they are what I toss in the gun when I am carrying it. If one must rely on something to potentially save his/her hide... it better work when needed. I like the Wilson stuff as a whole, but I find the mags particularly nice.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:59 AM

I had the same problem with hollow points (Speer Gold Dot) when I bought my PT1911 AR. When I used the Wilson 47D or the Wilson ETM it did not happen at all. I kept the 2 factory mags fully loaded for 2 weeks, and I emptied them out and reload them every 2 days. I also cleaned all the packing grease out of them and re-lubed. After that they cycled and chambered all ammo when full.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2010, 10:39 AM

This could be 'operator trouble'. When doing this 'static' loading check WITH LIVE AMMO, Are you yanking the slide back as hard as you can and letting it snap forward? If not, you can expect loading/ejection failures. BTW, using live ammo for this kind of testing is generally unsafe unless you keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. I'd recommend doing it outdoors with the muzzle toward the ground.
Why would you need to get used to the slide pull of ejecting whole cartridges? You normally will not encounter this unless you customarily unload the pistol for some reason.
The magazine spring does not push the round into the barrel. The recoil spring closes the slide and carries the round into the barrel. Most any pistol will jam if you do not let the slide snap shut with full force.
In the process of lubing the pistol, always rub the feed ramp with an oily cloth or finger - this can make a big difference in loading sometimes.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:31 PM

Thanks for the replies and help!

I'm going to go with macaroni420's suggestion of filling the mags up and emptying them every couple of days, once I get my Wilson mag. Until then, I'll keep 7 loaded in the mag in my 1911
Old 04-19-2010, 10:08 AM

DRY LUBE on the mags I presume? Oil inside the mags is a Bozo no-no per dozens of posts on this very forum. DRY lube (graphite) or a wipe with a patch containing a light lube - then wiping and re-wiping it out is supposedly OK. Clean, properly adjusted and functioning mags should not need "lube".

OK ...... lets argue the point! I'm sure someone disagrees.

New gun - new mags - use 7 rounds not 8-rounds and make it easy on the gun until it's been shot a few hudred times. Talk as they may, in order to get 8-rounds in any mag, something has to be altered to let them fit. Break in the altered mags and then go up to eight rounds. Seems logical and is again suggested here on the forum by folk who have done it over and over WITH success.

While I dislike Kimber firearms -- the OM had a batch of their Kim-Pro magazies around. I took them to the ranges with me and let others try them --- and all agreed they beat the heck out of McCormick, Wilson and the high-price spreads by a country mile. Just an opinion and observation.

Last edited by LadyLikesGunsToo; 04-19-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:04 AM

I guess I should have been more specific when I said I re-lubed my mag. I use MAG SLICK in my magazines.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:48 AM

yraen - Why are you doing this with live ammo?! Go out and purchase some snap caps. This is highly unsafe and never recommended! Especially if you are new to firearms!
Why don't you take this pistol to a range and fire it???
Like it has been said, you need to break in the pistol, and read up on basic gun safety.

LadyLikesGunsToo - "Talk as they may, in order to get 8-rounds in any mag, something has to be altered to let them fit" Huh???
That is just untrue - plain and simple. Perhaps you do not have the strength, no offense intended. Loading 8 rounds in a magazine is not a problem.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:28 PM

First off,I have to give my PSA and agree with the other members, using live rounds for something like that is not very safe but with that being said let me see if I can help you. Try reading through this thread and see if it helps. Check out my post with the attached images.

Mine works fine with 7 rounds in the mag...

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=267664
Old 04-20-2010, 09:33 PM

I initially had the same problems with my PT1911 and factory mags. Bought a Chip McCormack and Kimber mags. No problems but I also used the factory mags and this time no FTF.Just had to let everthing break in a bit.
American Legion
Old 04-21-2010, 10:24 AM

The reason I was doing it with live ammo is that snap caps are not JHP (at least the ones I have found so far). Had I been testing this with snap caps, I would not have known about the issue as FMJ-style ammo loads fine.

That being said, I only tried it two or three times to make sure it wasn't just the first try that had an issue and I was doing it in a safe place and exercising full gun safety.

I've been meaning to go to a firing range, but there aren't any very close and just haven't had the time

My WC mag should be here tomorrow, so we'll see if it fares any better without being broken in. Still loading/unloading one of the mags every couple of days to try to exercise the springs a bit more.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:15 AM

fire 400+ rounds of FMJ through the gun to get used to it and test function, after 400+ rds of FMJ if the JHP's wont feed then it's time to complain, most 1911's need a break in period before feeding them fmj's plus this will give your mags a break in too.