Slide stop problem - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-04-2010, 05:32 PM

Slide stop problem

Hey guys I hope you can help me with a small problem. I have a PT1911 Duotone. The gun shoots great The only problem I am having is when the slide is back all of the way and the slide stop engaged. When I put a loaded magazine in and pull the slide back and release it the slide stop won't go down unless I push it down with my finger. It does work normally in all other ways. It locks open after final round. It just won't release. When I stripped the gun down and cleaned it every thing looks good. The stop moves freely when I put it in the frame by itself. So any help or suggestions would be great.
Thanks
Old 04-04-2010, 10:36 PM

Are you using a shock buff? If so sometimes they don't allow the slide to travel far enough back to push the slide stop down. If not, the SS is sticking. I would take it out and make sure it is smooth everywhere that touches something else. Make sure the frame hole is smooth and the barrel link is in good shape.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:57 PM

I have put it in the frame by itself and it moves freely. The slide stop plunger is not pushing it down. I wonder if the slide stop that touches the plunger is not right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 07:45 PM

I had the same problem. I think it's the mag not seating properly. If you look at the attached pics when the mag is inserted it's loose and hangs a little from the mag well.

When I use my finger to push it up so it's seated properly the slide works it's way forward just fine. I have the same problem with the stock and Wilson Combat mags.

It also sunk a round into the casing, due to the round slamming against the ramp and not feeding.

Let me know if you have the same problem with your mags not seating. I don't know how to fix it but the people here are pretty knowledgeable and I'm sure someone can offer some insight.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02301.jpg   DSC02304.jpg   DSC02305.jpg  

Last edited by US Marine; 04-09-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:42 PM

US Marine, thanks for the suggestion. But I don't think that is my problem. I have tried some other brand mags also and have the same problem. I am waiting for a new slide stop from Taurus to see if that fixes the problem.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:00 AM

What happens if you release the side with the stop? Full battery? Pulling the slide back manually may not work as well if your hand follows the slide forward slowing it down a bit. Learned this here on the forum.

Another thought was the top (first round) especially in an 8-round may be difficult to strip, this slowing the slide and causing the issue. Manually releasing the slide with a full mag and then a downloaded by one round mag might let you see if it is OK one way but not OK the other.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:23 PM

It would not release even if there was no mag in at all.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:40 AM

Extractor may be too tight, not allowing the rim of the cartridge to slip underneath in the feeding cycle, or the mag release is not machined properly, both relatively cheap fixes.