The Taurus 1911 challenge! - Page 5 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 12:32 PM

I currently have three 1911's - an original WWII 1911A1 born in 1943, a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail in .45 and a Taurus PT-1911. Both the DW and the Taurus shoot better groups than the Colt 1911A1. But one would expect that. The Dan Wesson shoots tighter groups than the PT-1911 but for $500 more it should. The gun is basically a tighter weapon than the Taurus. Having said that, I still look forward to shooting the Taurus every time I take it and its' siblings to the range. It shoots great, looks great, and never fails to fire, to eject, or to load. For approx $600 it is a heck of a great gun. I might not buy another Taurus PT but I will undoubtedly keep this one. If the Schumer hits the fan or a bad guy decides to say hello in my home in the middle of the night, I have no doubt that the PT-1911 would hold up its' end of the deal.
KS State Rifle Assoc.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Banned

PT 1911 15 rounds @ 25 yards

I don't claim to know much about them high dollar 1911's I do know that having the 1911 etched on the side makes them all right by me. I know Lawman set some kind of challenge on this forum but I haven't seen anything he's posted to show how good his PT 1911 shoots, I wouldn't call any body an idiot for being so fortunate to afford a $3,000 dollar 1911 hell if I had that kind of money I would probably buy one two or three, but all I could afford was a Taurus PT 1911 that came with all the bells and whistles that I had paid in the 80's to have a Springfield Armory tricked out the same way for allot more than the $550.00 that I paid for this Taurus PT 1911 my gun shoots better than I do and I don't know if I could shoot a $3,000 1911 any better. Well I've attached a picture of a 25 yard 15 round target and my PT 1911 that can shoot that accurate all day long, or maybe even better in the hands of a better shooter, I wonder how accurate it would be from a ransom rest. these are all reloads I load myself 200 gr lead RNFP .452 with 4.6 gr of bullseye I just recently fitted my PT 1911 with a EGW over size firing pin stop with 14# recoil spring and 23# main spring I think it's made my rig a little more accurate.

Cuba

Attached Thumbnails
Two handed 15 rounds @ 25 yards PT 1911.jpg  

Last edited by cuba; 04-09-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911lawman View Post
15K a year? Sorry pal, I have a life and do not spend my days at the range. Your kind crack me up.
15k is not a lot for some shooters. But usually that type of shooter has a better gun than a Taurus because he/she demands better and prefer at least decent guns.
It's a weapon people, not just a shiny gadget to drool over and treat like a Ming Vase. Shoot more, do preventive maintenance, fix when broken parts eventually do happen, and shoot more. Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2010, 03:33 AM

My Dad Can Beat Up Your Dad!

My first post here. I came to the site looking to see if anyone had played around with different Recoil Springs in their Taurus 1911's, and stumbled in here. Whoops.

First of all, I concur with one of the previous posters, who said that we should at least all be happy we have ANY 1911. My wife asked me why I wanted one, and I said it's a little like a kid who collects baseball cards...you always hope to own a Mickey Mantle or Ted Williams card. There are just some things you NEED to have.

Secondly, both sides have valid points. Like everything in life, the keys to owning something that lasts, are: 1) Original quality; 2) How well you take care of it. An expensive-fast car, without an oil change, ain't gonna’ be beating anyone off the line after a while... The best advice I ever got was, "Buy the best you can afford, and then take care of it." No need to comment on anyone else's gun choice, unless they ask what you think.

That said, reliability can sometimes be compromised by performance. At 300 yards, with both being well-cleaned and well cared-for, I would take a M16 over an AK-47 any day of the week...BUT...hand me both from out of the mud, to put me in combat, and I'll take the AK, hands down. So making a gun choice sometimes comes down to what are you using it for and how committed you are to taking care of it. The gun you want to compete with, may not be the one you want to carry.

Finally...my wife was a teaching golf pro, before the kids, and when we were dating, I asked her if I should upgrade my clubs. She laughed, and told me that I should spend my money on lessons and range time. She told me to pick a score (90, 80, whatever), and only buy new clubs when I could shoot that score with my current clubs.
So, IMHO, practice with WHATEVER you have, and work on improving YOUR shooting. Don't worry about how anyone else shoots, unless you are sure they are going to be standing next to you in a gunfight or are on your team in competition.

Anyway, congrats to ALL my fellow 1911 owners...and BTW, has anyone played around with different recoil springs in their Taurus 1911's? lol
Old 03-13-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIL CAESAR View Post
15k is not a lot for some shooters. But usually that type of shooter has a better gun than a Taurus because he/she demands better and prefer at least decent guns.
Shoot my poor .22 alone probably sees close to 15k a year. Figure a brick or so every other week...
Old 03-13-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenplusone View Post
Shoot my poor .22 alone probably sees close to 15k a year. Figure a brick or so every other week...
I hear you. I have a .22 conversion for my AR and 1911, I easily shoot a 550 pack of bulk just out of conversions each week. I makes a great training aid.
It's a weapon people, not just a shiny gadget to drool over and treat like a Ming Vase. Shoot more, do preventive maintenance, fix when broken parts eventually do happen, and shoot more. Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:59 PM

Amazing what passes for expertise today. I bought a PT1911 a couple of years ago, just for the heck of it. It has 15K+ through it, and nothing has broken, fallen off, not even the finish. It's more than "combat accurate" @ 3" at 25 yards with loads it likes, and has had exactly zero failures that weren't magazine, or ammo, related.

It's definitely not as nicely finished as my Baer, Brown, and Wilson 1911s. Nor is it as accurate. Then again, I doubt that I'll ever need the difference between 2" over 3" if defending myself. I'm not an LEO, and can think of no reliable scenario where such a difference will ever rear it's head.

Then again, my Baers, Wilson, and Brown look like they were fitted with a wood rasp compared to my Korth handguns. Then again, most would say that an $8K handgun SHOULD look, and perform, better than a $2500 handgun, right? Sort of like a $2500 handgun needs to be better fitted than a $500 handgun.

The PT1911 certainly looks, and is fitted better, than the Remington-Rand 1911A1 that I was issued in 1966, and actually used in combat. It was probably more accurate, as well. Then again, I never used a pistol at ranges over 15 yards, preferring a rifle if I had the time to pick it up.

You're hardly a fool for purchasing an upscale 1911, period. The fools are the ones spouting insults towards anyone who decides on a less expensive version. Not everyone will shoot 15K per year, so that comparison is hardly valid. Accuracy that allows reliable center-mass hits at ranges beneath 25 yards are more than acceptable when people are shooting back. Face it, most of the posters, when honesty counts, will admit that the gun they have, be it a Taurus or Rock Island, or a Baer or Wilson, is more accurate than they are. Until you actually reach a platform than engenders accuracy better than the handgun you are shooting, it will certainly suffice, at whatever price break you require.

If, perhaps, the mods would ban anyone who arrives with the pathetic "I know that (name your brand) is unreliable, poorly made, or just a POS", we might have a more informational discussion, with less Internet Legend involved.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911lawman View Post
There are alot of people out there always bashing and trashing the Taurus PT-1911. Kimber owners, WC owners, Colt owner, SA owners and the list goes on. Well I'm going put up a challenge to all those trashers & bashers that my Taurus 1911 will shoot just as accruately if not better and perform head to head with the other high end overpriced 1911's. I owner a Kimber Ultra II, SA loaded & WC QCB and I will tell you what. The Taurus is on par with all of them. Yes, I was a fool and spent alot of money of the high end brands so I can say I own a Kimber or WC. If I could do it all over again I would just buy the Taurus and with the money I save buy tons of ammo and have fun shooting. I trust the Taurus with my life and will take it in a gun fight any day without hesitation. So who's up for it? I think the Taurus is ready to open a can of WHOOP ASS on the other 1911's!
The real test would be to do the comparison at say, 10,000 or 20,000 rounds.

A 1911 in any condition except loaded and cocked & locked is a nice paperweight.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Amazing what passes for expertise today. I bought a PT1911 a couple of years ago, just for the heck of it. It has 15K+ through it, and nothing has broken, fallen off, not even the finish. It's more than "combat accurate" @ 3" at 25 yards with loads it likes, and has had exactly zero failures that weren't magazine, or ammo, related.
Wait a minute, weren't you were the guy that called BS that a gun could go 15K rounds without changing parts?

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...=150032&page=3

It was also interesting to see your "round count" through your PT1911 jump 4K rounds in a few days when you speak of internet legend. Just sayin.

As for the rest, speaking from previous experience with a PT1911, the small parts aren't built to last IMHO. Sure they are/were decent deals @$400 ish but now not so much. They would do well to switch out a few key areas with quality parts, especially the goofy hammer lock. I will say that I wouldn't mind finding a really cheap used one in .38 super to play amatuer gunsmith on, outside of that I wouldn't pick another one up to trust my life with as I shoot too many rounds a year through my 1911s.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:16 AM
Banned

Too bad the op hasnt posted his target and its been two months

He has been trying so hard in the last 2 months that the blankity blank fell apart

Anyways here is my entry when he gets his fixed

Measured with micrometer after pic was taken it is actually .75

Too bad I dont have a vise

Last edited by Casp1911; 03-15-2010 at 05:26 AM. Reason: added
Old 03-15-2010, 06:20 AM

He wanted a Hawkins in 50 cal or better but damn it ".30" was a genuine hawkins!

He wanted a kimber in .45 cal but damn it is a genuine 1911 45.

Won't make sense to some but we do not always get what we want.

I would like to have a mclaren to but I can afford only a Ford, Chevy, dodge but damn it is a genuine auto. oh by the way most who drive Mclarins are probably stuffy about it also.

My pt1911 shoots better than I do and it made me a 1911 lover. Someday I will find out what a Kimber is and have one to compare to the Taurus. Untill then I sure like the pt1911 as it is reliable in IDPA and a lot better than my scores. Not much by the big boy shooters standards but it has run well over 2500rnds and keeps on ticken. reliable as the sun so far.

And I will bet that a high dollar 1911 shooter would be embarrassed by some one like Jerry Mculick "Sic spelling" with a cheap ole six shooter.

But thats just me
Mike
found at seipsg.net
Old 03-15-2010, 11:42 AM

1911lawman...are you going to go out and shoot that 1911 before 2011? Inquiring minds want to know, you put up the challenge so maybe it is time to put up your results.

That is all I have to share on that topic. That said; the PT1911 is a solid piece. I have one I switched out the sights, installed a Brown Wedge MSH, and that's about it. It is a soild pistol, easily shoots three inch groups at 25 yds offhand all day long. Is it as accurate or my Wilson or any of the other custom 1911s I own; NO. Did it cost as much as they did, not on your life. Could it be made to shoot as well, sure ut kind of defeats the purpose of and economical 1911.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Wait a minute, weren't you were the guy that called BS that a gun could go 15K rounds without changing parts?
Parts replacements from 15K over a couple of years is going to be different than that of the pistol doing 1500 rounds per week. You're correct, though, in that I did replace recoil springs every 5K rounds. I don't necessarily consider this a "parts replacement", just a routine maintenance.

As for the total round count, I've been in Maryland since August of 2009, caring for, then burying, my father, and handling his estate. I shot while up there, but my 86 and 85 years old father and step-mother have refused to access the Web. The records were kept on paper, and, since I came back, added to the round count. I'm sorry to spoil your intended insult with facts, though. I'll notice that you talk about lots of rounds. Just how many is that, to bring us all up to speed.

Quote:
It was also interesting to see your "round count" through your PT1911 jump 4K rounds in a few days when you speak of internet legend. Just sayin.
Anything else, Mr. Legend?

Quote:
As for the rest, speaking from previous experience with a PT1911, the small parts aren't built to last IMHO. Sure they are/were decent deals @$400 ish but now not so much. They would do well to switch out a few key areas with quality parts, especially the goofy hammer lock. I will say that I wouldn't mind finding a really cheap used one in .38 super to play amatuer gunsmith on, outside of that I wouldn't pick another one up to trust my life with as I shoot too many rounds a year through my 1911s.
The "IMHO" should be bolded, as well. FYI, the local shops have various PT1911s, with rails, in both blue and stainless, for around $500-575. With the increases in ALL 1911s, that still puts a new gun in your hands for much less than the purportedly "better" brands.

Remember, in real life, most people have jobs (we hope), other expenses, social lives, and families. At the current costs of ammunition, a case and a half a week is going to cost around $600/week for fresh ammo. that's $31,200 per year. Even reloading ammo, which will require several hours per thousand, along with powder, primers, bullets, and supplies, will set one back at least $12,000-15,000 per year, plus the initial set-up costs of the machinery. Then, that's loading mid-range ammo, and not NATO spec "full-power".

The last time that I looked, people usually had life intrude on expenses, and time, that consumes that much of their lives.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:58 PM

Is this the type of superiority we should expect from a $2000 1911?

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=264781

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=264623

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=264984

Or just "superior"

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=264848

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=264980

These are all current threads complaining about problems. I don't think that anyone owning one is somehow less a man than someone owning any other brand, but they ALL have problems.

Last edited by JR47; 03-15-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:36 PM

I'll try to get some shooting in sometime soon. When I do I'll post pics of how my Taurus 1911 does. I'm no expert shooter and there are quite a few companies that make a nicer 1911. I could only hope to have a Fusion or a Dan Wesson one day. For now I'm the proud owner of a Taurus. After 2 years of owning it I finally replaced the ambi-safety because I didn't like it, not because it fell off. So, the pics are coming.
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their 'constitutional' right of amending it or their 'revolutionary' right to dismember or overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-16-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Parts replacements from 15K over a couple of years is going to be different than that of the pistol doing 1500 rounds per week. You're correct, though, in that I did replace recoil springs every 5K rounds. I don't necessarily consider this a "parts replacement", just a routine maintenance.
Irregardless, I stated that 1911s can go 15K without replacing parts and you called BS. It's funny to see that now that you've acheived that level, that it's not so unrealistic? Something most experienced 1911 shooters knew all along.

Quote:
As for the total round count, I've been in Maryland since August of 2009, caring for, then burying, my father, and handling his estate. I shot while up there, but my 86 and 85 years old father and step-mother have refused to access the Web. The records were kept on paper, and, since I came back, added to the round count. I'm sorry to spoil your intended insult with facts, though. I'll notice that you talk about lots of rounds. Just how many is that, to bring us all up to speed.
What is your problem? I didn't intend to insult anyone here. YOU made claims that...
Quote:
BS, nobody has a 15K, full-power, total on any 1911 without parts replacement. If one understood what they were looking at, they wouldn't make such statements.
I just thought it was funny that you NOW say you have that many through your gun, yet previously you threw such a fit when I explained that it's normal for well built 1911s to go 15K rounds.

Then somewhere along the line you stated your PT1911 had 4K rounds through it..... and then a few days later you stated it had 8K rounds through it. Which was it? This is not to insult anyone, these were YOUR words and I'm just looking for clarification. This wasn't over the course of weeks, or months but a few days, so no backpeddling there.

Quote:
FYI, the local shops have various PT1911s, with rails, in both blue and stainless, for around $500-575. With the increases in ALL 1911s, that still puts a new gun in your hands for much less than the purportedly "better" brands.
Well I guess your anecdotes washes mine or vice versa. Our largest local shop stopped stopped selling Taurus altogether because of quality/CS issues. What I have seen, they aren't going for that cheap here locally.
Quote:
The "IMHO" should be bolded, as well.
Well, it also happens to be the opinion of those much more experienced than myself in building quality 1911s. Just sayin.

Quote:
Remember, in real life, most people have jobs (we hope), other expenses, social lives, and families. At the current costs of ammunition, a case and a half a week is going to cost around $600/week for fresh ammo. that's $31,200 per year. Even reloading ammo, which will require several hours per thousand, along with powder, primers, bullets, and supplies, will set one back at least $12,000-15,000 per year, plus the initial set-up costs of the machinery. Then, that's loading mid-range ammo, and not NATO spec "full-power". The last time that I looked, people usually had life intrude on expenses, and time, that consumes that much of their lives.
I have NO idea where you are going with this. I didn't mention anything about shooting 1500 rounds a week or 80K+ rounds a year??
Old 03-16-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT85 View Post
If you look around the internet at various 1911 forums,you will see that the Taurus PT1911 has brought up some of the most heated,vicious debates you can imagine.On some forums,nobody steps in and puts an end to the nonsense.But in this threads case,it started with somebody challenging others.
That was a bad start.
The bottom line is this,if it works for you,great.But for those who think the advertising that Taurus put out with the 2000 worth of options crap is the truth,don't be suprised if you get called on it.
As far as R.I.A products and the Metro Arms guns,neither of those guns makers make stupid claims as to "options".What they do provide is a pistol that works.If you look at complaints on the reliabilty of those guns vs the Taurus,there is a difference!
So the bashing isn't about the price of the product,it's about the hype and the promotion of the product.
Just my .02
Regards,
DAT85
my pt1911ss has seen a few rounds go down range, one feed problem and I think it was I rode the slide, would I trust my life with it? yes.
nothing has fell off and it shoots as good as groups as I am able.
as far as off to a bad start , I agree, not the best way to start a
thread and nowit has everyone trashing and bashing.
this is sad that it has gone this far.
I have read alot of stuff that is just over the top from both sides
and have been around the block a time or two-no expert, not me
I think that everyone needs to take a deep breath and let it out slow, then repeat as needed. I see this as not being productive to anyone, in any shape or form. as far as the Ads that co. run, very few meet the muster.
this tread just started wrong and went down hill, for the most.
all I can tell ya is if you like the gun ya bought, be happy,and if you do not like the gun someone else bought ,dont knock it,
That being said the OP started a tread in a very bad way, and now everyone is going over the top. I hate to see this in a place where everyone likes the same firearm platform. well I have ranted enuff and thanks
shoot what you like,can, and have the means too, be safe
and go back too the fun that we are all in it for
Doc
Old 03-16-2010, 03:56 PM

I own two kimbers and a PT1911. I never tried 25 yd groups for one reason. I carry concealed and there is no justified shooting at 25 yds. I did do a shoot at 7 and 15 yds. The Gold Match , which i bought because of the accuracy claims , didn't hold a candle to the Taurus. As for reliability , it was the same story. That gold match will NEVER be a carry gun. Changing ammo is like rolling the dice with it. Most likely , it will FTF or FTE . Accuracy also changes quite a bit with different ammo. I just recently bought the Ultra carry. That gun shoots as well as the Taurus does. And I paid twice as much for it but I wanted a 3" 1911 to carry.
If you want to spend a bunch of money on a high end gun more power to you in this economy. It will not make you a better shooter. Bash the Taurus all you can because you spent thousands more. To the average shooter , we want it to go bang and hit what we aim at without hiccups. And i can do that for $600 vs $2500 . And for me.... if I can hold a 2" group at 25yds with an off the shelf 1911 i paid $600 it's doing ok. That bad guy is gonna have a bad day.

Taurus 1911 DT,Taurus PT 99,steyr 9mm ,Ruger P345
Ruger 44 blackhawk hunter ,Ruger 357 blackhawk
Series I Kimber Gold match ,Kimber Ultra carry ,DPMS AR 15, & 6 more
Old 03-16-2010, 04:42 PM

I had some goofy issues with my Taurus's in the past, but nothing terrible. IIRC, extractor had to be adjusted (common even on semi customs sadly), breech face peening in a small area from strange fit of barrel, strange frame cut in the grip safety area, and thumb safety frame holes that were not the same size. Oh, and loose ambi safety, of course.

Personally I would buy another if in pristine condition for about 350-375, but no more than that. I am more inclined to go for plastic fantastics at the 500-600 price range, as at that range I am looking for a possibly expendable but well built and reliable tool, and not a hand crafted weapon.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Banned

captdave, wouldnt you like to know you can hit what youre aiming at even at 25 yards?

Thats how I justify shooting at 25 yards, I like to know what the weapon is capable of.

If one thinks their gun cant hit at 25 yards then I guess its best to leave well enough alone if one is happy with a 4 inch group at 20 ft

Everyone has their own preference I guess
Old 03-19-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Then somewhere along the line you stated your PT1911 had 4K rounds through it..... and then a few days later you stated it had 8K rounds through it. Which was it? This is not to insult anyone, these were YOUR words and I'm just looking for clarification. This wasn't over the course of weeks, or months but a few days, so no backpeddling there.
Try this, I haven't BEEN on ANY forum, but for a week at Christmas, since August. Exactly where was I going to post numbers of rounds fired in a couple of days? Believe me, when I day that I updated the round count after arriving here, but not before posting here.

I'm still waiting for some proof from ANY of the 1500 a week crowd. Would that include you? I'm curious how much money is spent at that level. Figuring even $15.00 a box for new ammo, that's $450.00/week, and $23,400 per year, just in .45 ACP. Even at a 50% discount for reloading, that's still $11,700. Not counting the time spent cleaning, inspecting, and actually re-loading.

Quote:
I just thought it was funny that you NOW say you have that many through your gun, yet previously you threw such a fit when I explained that it's normal for well built 1911s to go 15K rounds.
Now, as for the bushwah over 15K without replacement, at the 1500 rounds per week rate. That's much like wondering why your car, or any piece of machinery, that's run hard won't last as long as one treated more gently. Ask the real competitive shooters how long their guns go without replacement parts. They build with the highest quality available, and don't routinely see that. Ask Leatham.

I'm also wondering why you cherry-pick. This was also there.

Quote:
I stand by my comment. I don't feel that it's uncommon for a 1911 to "go 15K rounds", and that's NOT what I said. I said that it's not COMMON for a 1911, no matter who built it, to go 15K rounds without replacing more than springs. That's not "some" pistol courses, as the average runs less than 1K. Gamers, as mentioned by me, and ignored, use minimum power loads for the game. Not exactly what the average shooter uses.
You know, I haven't actually seen, or heard, anything that exhibits checkable truth in any of your threads. You are quick to quote others, whom you don't name. You talk about OTHERS who shoot "1500 rounds per week", you want proof, but provide only Internet blather, IMHOs, and vague statements when it comes to who is the source of your facts.

I own a Taurus PT1911, two Wilson Combats, an Ed Brown, and Les Baer customs. I also own a Korth semi-auto that makes the aforementioned 1911s look like they were fitted with hammers, and finished with a coarse rasp. It is exactly the same multiple of cost as the semi-customs are to the PT1911. So, why wouldn't the same comments apply?

If you want a $2500 1911, by all means, buy one, and enjoy it. Don't, however, think that it's necessary to belittle others choices because you have the expendable income to make such a purchase. Remember the Korth, or the Korriphila, are out there, and their owners would be justified in denigrating your "cheap handguns" if the same comparisons as you use were applied.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casp1911 View Post
captdave, wouldnt you like to know you can hit what youre aiming at even at 25 yards?

Thats how I justify shooting at 25 yards, I like to know what the weapon is capable of.

If one thinks their gun cant hit at 25 yards then I guess its best to leave well enough alone if one is happy with a 4 inch group at 20 ft

Everyone has their own preference I guess
I can hit what i aim at when shooting 25 yds. Close enough to be a kill shot every time. Will I hold a 1 inch group ? LOL... at my age i'm happy to hold a 1 inch group at 7 yds without a bench. I have a 50 yd range in my front yard(gotta love living in the country) but I only shoot my 44 at that range to sight in for deer. I shoot 6 inch steel plates and can hit them at 25 yds with all my 1911's.
Any gun has lemons. I have a kimber that is a safe queen which should be the best shooting gun out of my 1911's. It's even a first generation. I bought a second Kimber in spite of that. After a year of owning the Kimber and Taurus , and I have no idea how many rounds through them, the Taurus still works every time without failure. And the Kimber Gold Match still hiccups even after trying various fixes. And thankfully , my new Kimber Ultra carry is nothing like the Gold Match.
I have nothing bad to say about my Taurus. Every time I have pulled it it worked and hit what I was shooting at. Most of the time that was a 1" thick rattlesnake I surprised. I am guessing you have a Caspian. Would you strap it on every day , climb on & off a tractor beating it up , wade through briars head high scratching you all up ,have your dogs jump up on you , etc ? Personally , my Taurus fits the bill perfectly. I was happy with it a year ago and still am. Does it still look like new ? Nope...but still shoots just as good.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Banned

Yes I have a Caspian and yes if I was in your situation I would probably use a Taurus for what you use it for

I was only asking if you would like to see how well it can shoot at 25 yards although some people do have a hard time seeing 25 yards

I only mentioned the 25 yard shot because you said there was no justiable reason to shoot 25 yards

Its no big deal as long as you are happy with what you have

back to original post, the op that made this thread made a challenge that his Taurus was ready to open a can of whoop on anyone that wanted to take the challenge

after 2 months many of us are still waiting for the op to post his target from his masterpiece Taurus PT1911

and just like we thought, he put his foot in his mouth

it would cost him another 1000 to 2000 to get his masterpiece taurus to shoot well enough to outshoot many on here

and most likely when the gun got done if he was lucky it may still be Taurus frame

If I did something as dumb as make the challenge he made without knowing what he obviously had no clue of what kind of 1911s were out there, I do believe I would come back and tell everyone I was wrong and next time I will do some more learning before I open my mouth
Old 03-20-2010, 11:58 AM

The Taurus is a nice weapon. At short ranges it will hold its own. At long ranges I can only guess.My own abilities limit the weapon without strapping it in a vice . Will it outshoot a race gun or high end 1911 ? I doubt it. But I wouldn't think a mustang can outrun a funny car either. For 600 bucks I am very pleased.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Try this, I haven't BEEN on ANY forum, but for a week at Christmas, since August. Exactly where was I going to post numbers of rounds fired in a couple of days? Believe me, when I day that I updated the round count after arriving here, but not before posting here.
Kind of a moot point since the discussion happened previously eh? Rather, previous to Christmas, August.

Quote:
I'm still waiting for some proof from ANY of the 1500 a week crowd. Would that include you? I'm curious how much money is spent at that level. Figuring even $15.00 a box for new ammo, that's $450.00/week, and $23,400 per year, just in .45 ACP. Even at a 50% discount for reloading, that's still $11,700. Not counting the time spent cleaning, inspecting, and actually re-loading.
It seems you're having a tough time keeping track of your discussions? I didn't mention anything about 1500 rounds a week?

Quote:
Now, as for the bushwah over 15K without replacement, at the 1500 rounds per week rate. That's much like wondering why your car, or any piece of machinery, that's run hard won't last as long as one treated more gently. Ask the real competitive shooters how long their guns go without replacement parts. They build with the highest quality available, and don't routinely see that. Ask Leatham.
Again, I'm still lost as to where you're getting this whole 1500 rounds a week babbling? I pointed out a thread where you were totally hypocritical because you are now saying your 1911 had 15K rounds. You previously had said this is impossible. The thread.... here again.....

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...=150032&page=3

Within that same thread, you claimed a round count of 4K rounds.... miraculously.... a few days later you claimed 8K rounds. Methinks, you argue SO much in defense of PTs you're getting your "facts" mixed up. Rather, that's what the facts show.

Quote:
If you want a $2500 1911, by all means, buy one, and enjoy it. Don't, however, think that it's necessary to belittle others choices because you have the expendable income to make such a purchase. Remember the Korth, or the Korriphila, are out there, and their owners would be justified in denigrating your "cheap handguns" if the same comparisons as you use were applied
I own 1911s of all ranges my friend. I'm not belittling anyone, and it's funny how you tie this into such a personal matter. It seems you get so upset and hell bent on discrediting someone with different experiences, you argue yourself into a hole. I've tried the Taurus thing, I really have. Outside of the PT92 series I won't own one. I don't care for Taurus' use of the hammer lock and it's use of really cheap small parts and it's problems of fitting ejectors and safeties. Don't like it? I'm sorry. But, I've yet to do anything but point out what certain owners have said.

The Korth "owners" would have my respect if they carried them or shot them at matches. Much like I do my "$2500" 1911s. Paying that much for a safe queen is darn near retarded in my book. Beautiful guns though. Sorry, but if I owned a Ferrari, I'd actually drive it.
Closed Thread