The Taurus 1911 challenge! - Page 4 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 04:42 PM

After reading through this thread, I've come to the conclusion that my PT1911SS is defective. Almost 4,000 rounds, and no malfunction, or anything falling off.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:27 PM

I don't really get either side of this argument.

On one hand, you've got the people who bought lower priced guns that perform well for them and feel the need to put down the people who spent more

On the other hand are the people who bought higher priced guns who put down the people who bought the lower priced stuff

To me, the following conditions must be met for a gun to be "good":

1. Do you like it

2. Does it shoot well for you

As long as these 2 conditions are met, who cares what name is on the slide? Personally, I like just about everything. As long as it works for you, that's all that should matter.

Before I get off my soapbox, let's try to keep in mind who's in the White House at the moment. Maybe we should focus more on maintaining our 2nd amendment rights, and less on this insignificant crap.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." - Ted Nugent
Old 01-26-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper180 View Post
I don't really get either side of this argument.

On one hand, you've got the people who bought lower priced guns that perform well for them and feel the need to put down the people who spent more

On the other hand are the people who bought higher priced guns who put down the people who bought the lower priced stuff

To me, the following conditions must be met for a gun to be "good":

1. Do you like it

2. Does it shoot well for you

As long as these 2 conditions are met, who cares what name is on the slide? Personally, I like just about everything. As long as it works for you, that's all that should matter.

Before I get off my soapbox, let's try to keep in mind who's in the White House at the moment. Maybe we should focus more on maintaining our 2nd amendment rights, and less on this insignificant crap.
+1!!!! If your cheap gun works good, great....if your expensive gun works, great! I can't wait to pick up my RIA on Sat and take it straight to the "range" (friends property) so I can enter the cheap gun challenge lol

I have a custom spur and western decoration business! http://www.facebook.com/pages/JH-Spurs/211804625565944 & http://www.etsy.com/shop/JHSpurs?ref=si_shop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2010, 12:05 AM
Banned

PT 1911 hands down

You guys know I can understand Lawmans frustrations he spoke out of line but a person can only take enough of Taurus 1911 bashing and he's right some people think that if they don't pay $2500 for their 1911 than anything less expensive is a POS and the snobbish attitude comes through I personally think that any body that prefers a 1911 is wiser for it and we all need to stick together not put each other down. I've owned a SS PT 1911 since they first came out and I have not had a FTF or FTE with in approximately 3,000 round, which I can place 2"@ 25 yards I've shot 500 rounds of double tap 230gr bonded self defense round which I keep my gun loaded with and I would trust my life with this firearm, I payed $559 dollars for it and I don't regret it, if money was no object I probably would have bought a Ed Brown or Les Bear and I would be shooting 1,500 rounds a month but money doesn't come as easy as to some other people. But what matters is that we all love the 1911 formate and it is our obligation to pass down this legacy to the younger generation that are only being exposed to the tupper ware guns, not that I have a problem with them plastic guns but they'll never be a JMB 1911. enjoy your guns while we still have the right to have them!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Extended Mag PT 1911 (8).jpg  

Last edited by cuba; 02-14-2010 at 12:18 AM. Reason: checked spelling
Old 02-14-2010, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba View Post
You guys know I can understand Lawmans frustrations he spoke out of line but a person can only take enough of Taurus 1911 bashing and he's right some people think that if they don't pay $2500 for their 1911 than anything less expensive is a POS and the snobbish attitude comes through I personally think that any body that prefers a 1911 is wiser for it and we all need to stick together not put each other down. I've owned a SS PT 1911 since they first came out and I have not had a FTF or FTE with in approximately 3,000 round, which I can place 2"@ 25 yards I've shot 500 rounds of double tap 230gr bonded self defense round which I keep my gun loaded with and I would trust my life with this firearm, I payed $559 dollars for it and I don't regret it, if money was no object I probably would have bought a Ed Brown or Les Bear and I would be shooting 1,500 rounds a month but money doesn't come as easy as to some other people. But what matters is that we all love the 1911 formate and it is our obligation to pass down this legacy to the younger generation that are only being exposed to the tupper ware guns, not that I have a problem with them plastic guns but they'll never be a JMB 1911. enjoy your guns while we still have the right to have them!!!!!!!!!!!

I completely agree - well said.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:03 AM
Banned

You know I really have no problem with people buying the guns they like. I have a problem with people saying "I don't know why you idiots paid more than my RIA/Taurus/Charles Daly/Etc Etc cost." Enjoy the guns you own.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspian17 View Post
You know I really have no problem with people buying the guns they like. I have a problem with people saying "I don't know why you idiots paid more than my RIA/Taurus/Charles Daly/Etc Etc cost." Enjoy the guns you own.
Too true. I own a PT1911 and I am satisfied with it. Do I wish I had a WC, Baer, or the like? Of course I do, and I am sure the fit, finish and function is far beyond that of my Taurus. But in the meantime, I'm happy with my cheapy and look forward to shooting it until it either flies apart or I get another, better 1911.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmedic5 View Post
sorry ,my first post here, I have all kinds of firearms, cheap to high dollar
I bought each because , something about them apealed to me
I spent alot of time tinkering on them-learning them inside out
I wish folks could get past my dogs bigger than your dog mind set
I will not say any of my firearms are better than yours ,or yours are a pos
cause I think if you bought it ,it apealed to you for some reason and that is who realy matters- do you like it?- then the person that matters most is happy.---Lots of good info on this site, from lots of people who like the same platform, and I am glad to be here.
If you look around the internet at various 1911 forums,you will see that the Taurus PT1911 has brought up some of the most heated,vicious debates you can imagine.On some forums,nobody steps in and puts an end to the nonsense.But in this threads case,it started with somebody challenging others.
That was a bad start.
The bottom line is this,if it works for you,great.But for those who think the advertising that Taurus put out with the 2000 worth of options crap is the truth,don't be suprised if you get called on it.
As far as R.I.A products and the Metro Arms guns,neither of those guns makers make stupid claims as to "options".What they do provide is a pistol that works.If you look at complaints on the reliabilty of those guns vs the Taurus,there is a difference!
So the bashing isn't about the price of the product,it's about the hype and the promotion of the product.
Just my .02
Regards,
DAT85
Old 02-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Banned

PT 1911 bells and whistle worth

Back in 1985 I bought a GI Springfield @ about $450 and by the time I had a gunsmith customize it for me with all the bells and whistles that come stock on the Taurus PT 1911 I had about $2000 invested and I'll tell you it didn't shoot any better than the PT. unfortunately I had that firearm stolen from me so I cant compare them side by side, but if my memory serves me right they are on par. I've taken my PT to my local gunsmith to inspect my gun and he was surprised at how well made and fitted the PT 1911 was and as he said "for the price you paid I couldn't match it" the question is, can I sell it for $2000 of course not but is it worth that much with all the features that it come with it I'd say yes. some might say but it has MIM part "so what" so does most internal combustion engines as do allot of military fire arms, I say if you own a $3000 dollar 1911 more power to you but don't put my PT 1911 down ether because remember we are all part of the same 1911 lovers. I'M VERY HAPPY WITH MINE, IF YOU HAVE ONE ENJOY IT AND DON'T LET NEGATIVE OPINIONS GET YOU DOWN FOR OWNING ONE. WE 1911 OWNER NEED TO STICK TOGETHER, GOOD SHOOTING.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba View Post
Back in 1985 I bought a GI Springfield @ about $450 and by the time I had a gunsmith customize it for me with all the bells and whistles that come stock on the Taurus PT 1911 I had about $2000 invested and I'll tell you it didn't shoot any better than the PT. unfortunately I had that firearm stolen from me so I cant compare them side by side, but if my memory serves me right they are on par. I've taken my PT to my local gunsmith to inspect my gun and he was surprised at how well made and fitted the PT 1911 was and as he said "for the price you paid I couldn't match it" the question is, can I sell it for $2000 of course not but is it worth that much with all the features that it come with it I'd say yes. some might say but it has MIM part "so what" so does most internal combustion engines as do allot of military fire arms, I say if you own a $3000 dollar 1911 more power to you but don't put my PT 1911 down ether because remember we are all part of the same 1911 lovers. I'M VERY HAPPY WITH MINE, IF YOU HAVE ONE ENJOY IT AND DON'T LET NEGATIVE OPINIONS GET YOU DOWN FOR OWNING ONE. WE 1911 OWNER NEED TO STICK TOGETHER, GOOD SHOOTING.
This is what I am talking about. This kind of attitude.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSWEAR View Post
1911lawman,

I’m glad you like your Taurus and hope it continues to be a good gun for you. I also hope as you spend more time on the forum you will get a better understanding of what makes a nice 1911, and it’s not getting lucky enough to get a Taurus that runs and doesn’t have parts fall off. When you buy a $500 1911 you get what you pay for and to say it is on par with a Wilson directly reflects on the credibility of your posts.
Oh yes indeed. Well put. Fine job old man. On the nose. Right off the top. Couldn't be better. Shines like a pigs ear in motor oil. Saved me money too. Never had a problem. Always runs without issues. Trust my life to my $500-$600 RAUTUS. Why pay more? Waste of money to. Save those bucks. Give to charity. Wilson is a football. Basketball too! AlumaGrips get hot in the sun. Les Baer makes pretty guns. Expensive hand made guns. Ed Brown too. Lots of bucks. RAUTUS can hold its own with all of 'em? Sure, but for how long? Longer than a Kimber? You bet - much longer. CITADEL is a better place to start. Same money in the end. Buy the basic - add what you need. Sound good. You know it does! Buy a ROCK ISLAND and build it up too! STILL better than a RAUTUS and having to replace half the parts to get a reliable and personally satisfying 1911! WARRANTY VOID when ya' do all that work! Why buy the RAUTUS MARKETING HYPE? Tell me now? All those features - but ya' still end up dumping in tons of cash! Buy a BETTER BASIC gun and be happier! REMEMBER -- that work on the RAUTUS VOIDED THE WARRANTY anyway! Customizing most any 1911 voids the manufacturers warranty! So what! That be why ya' is customizing the danged thing drom the start! make it what ya' want! So what? Who cares? Not me! Gonna build it up to my liking - not RAUTUS thinking for me! Fine job! love my customized Flopsalot 1911. Looks nothing like the factory built it to be! Who cares? Not me! Do YOU? No. Good! You shouldn't! why hope for luck with a RAUTUS? Buy a tad higher and start with a workable basic 1911 shootin'-iron! RAUTUS will slap ya' silly if you hack up their product! Warranty work takes forever anyway! Why wait four MONTHS? Get a basic 1911 and WORK ON IT YO'SEF in that same four months! Why not? Ta' want a custom 1911 - right? I thunk so! Gimme a break! Get that nose out of the air! Ask me again! What you say? Hush you animal!

Oh my! I do believe my mind was firing right and left - cooking up questions and answers one after another while I was reading all the wonderful non-biased opinions! Fine job! Oh yes indeed. Well put. Fine job old man. On the nose. Right off the top. ............ aahhhhrrrrrgghhhhh - there it goes again! Bottom line. Ya' gonna tear apart that RAUTUS and do all that customizing work? Then why buy it? Many better basic 1911's to be had; far better project guns indeed. Don't argue... do as I say. Simple as that; fightin' ain't nice. Up against the wall and spread 'em. Get the idea?

Last edited by LadyLikesGunsToo; 02-15-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLikesGunsToo View Post
Oh yes indeed. Well put. Fine job old man. On the nose. Right off the top. Couldn't be better. Shines like a pigs ear in motor oil. Saved me money too. Never had a problem. Always runs without issues. Trust my life to my $500-$600 RAUTUS. Why pay more? Waste of money to. Save those bucks. Give to charity. Wilson is a football. Basketball too! AlumaGrips get hot in the sun. Les Baer makes pretty guns. Expensive hand made guns. Ed Brown too. Lots of bucks. RAUTUS can hold its own with all of 'em? Sure, but for how long? Longer than a Kimber? You bet - much longer. CITADEL is a better place to start. Same money in the end. Buy the basic - add what you need. Sound good. You know it does! Buy a ROCK ISLAND and build it up too! STILL better than a RAUTUS and having to replace half the parts to get a reliable and personally satisfying 1911! WARRANTY VOID when ya' do all that work! Why buy the RAUTUS MARKETING HYPE? Tell me now? All those features - but ya' still end up dumping in tons of cash! Buy a BETTER BASIC gun and be happier! REMEMBER -- that work on the RAUTUS VOIDED THE WARRANTY anyway! Customizing most any 1911 voids the manufacturers warranty! So what! That be why ya' is customizing the danged thing drom the start! make it what ya' want! So what? Who cares? Not me! Gonna build it up to my liking - not RAUTUS thinking for me! Fine job! love my customized Flopsalot 1911. Looks nothing like the factory built it to be! Who cares? Not me! Do YOU? No. Good! You shouldn't! why hope for luck with a RAUTUS? Buy a tad higher and start with a workable basic 1911 shootin'-iron! RAUTUS will slap ya' silly if you hack up their product! Warranty work takes forever anyway! Why wait four MONTHS? Get a basic 1911 and WORK ON IT YO'SEF in that same four months! Why not? Ta' want a custom 1911 - right? I thunk so! Gimme a break! Get that nose out of the air! Ask me again! What you say? Hush you animal!

Oh my! I do believe my mind was firing right and left - cooking up questions and answers one after another while I was reading all the wonderful non-biased opinions! Fine job! Oh yes indeed. Well put. Fine job old man. On the nose. Right off the top. ............ aahhhhrrrrrgghhhhh - there it goes again! Bottom line. Ya' gonna tear apart that RAUTUS and do all that customizing work? Then why buy it? Many better basic 1911's to be had; far better project guns indeed. Don't argue... do as I say. Simple as that; fightin' ain't nice. Up against the wall and spread 'em. Get the idea?
Wow,I mean.just Wow!

What's in the water down in your part of N.M?
Whatever it is,I WANT A GALLON OF IT!

DAT85
Old 02-15-2010, 08:16 PM

Taurus pt1911

I too, have owned several different brand name 1911's including springfield,armscor, and rock island. I also carry a government model for concealed carry. I believe that accuracy comes with practice and familiarization with what you carry and not necessarily a match grade barrel. what ever you carry has to work EVERY TIME you pull the trigger. i carry a taurus pt 1911 steel frame and have never had any problems in nearly 2,000 rounds of ball and hollow point ammo. i use chip mccormick and wilson combat mags and trust my life with my taurus.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:29 AM

i have owned a Taurus, and they shoot decent. Not as good as a higher end gun like a Kimber, Wilson or even my budget RIA. Its the workmanship that leaves a lot to be desired. i'd be interested in seeing which guns shoot better in his competition though.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:59 AM

Kimber? High end? Oh please! You be kiddin' ... Right?

Kimber? Ya' must mean the KIMBER from that TV show "Cut & Wrap" or whatever it is they call those Plastic Surgeon fellows?

After long and deep thought (HA!), I have come to the conclusion that while RAUTUS 1911's may be wunnerful with moderate round counts, the puddin' ain't cooked until they hit 5,000 or more. Problems and loss of accuracy will surely show up as the RAUTUS loosens up. Those parts that fall off will be long gone - IF they be goin' anywhere at all. Accuracy will fall off, just like the parts - if at all. In the end - some will survive - others will flop. we will hear more about the flops than we hear about the survivers. Just like awtoe-mobiles, yes? YES!

Unloading a bit of retirement funds into the economy - I purchased a RAUTUS 1911AL last evening. It is soaking in a bath of "Crud Off" and soon will be ready for a good scrubbing. When shiney clean and well, but not TOO well, lubricated - it will be time for the range. We shall see how the much loved and/or much hated RAUTUS performs. On with the contest! Reports to follow as sobriety returns!

KIMBER? HIGH END? OH PLEASE! YOU BE KIDDIN' ... RIGHT?
Old 02-19-2010, 05:26 PM

Taurus PT1911 reliability report

Purchased my PT1911B from private party at a GS for $450 out the door. Been shooting it almost a year, over 5K rounds down the pipe. It came with the two factory mags (work fine), a Shooting Star (POS), and an ActMag (works fine). Wanted more mags for my training and shooting down the line, so bought half dozen Wilson 47Ds. They work fine also. When I train or instruct, these are what I use.

Only problems with the PT1911B are self-inflicted ones as a result of not cleaning the gun enough (I hate cleaning, would rather be shooting). Occasionally the slide will lock back on a mag that's not empty or I'll get a type II. Clean the gun after the day's shooting and no more problems. I have let it go as long as 1K rounds between cleanings.

As far as accuracy, I'd be interested to see what it would do from a Ransom rest, but it's only curiosity. What matters is what the gun does in MY hands, and if I do my part, it does its part. Whoever that joker was earlier in the thread who mentioned he had a gun that shoots low left all the time, did he ever consider he might be mashing? Jeez.

The finish is showing a lot of wear, but it doesn't affect the shooting, and Kydex is rough on finishes across the board. I will say my SA XD .45 has been through a lot of holster wear also and shows NO SIGN of it. I'd like to know what that finish is and get it on my PT1911. On the other hand, my Para LTC with ParaKote finish is not much if any better than the Taurus and is a lot more expensive gun, not to mention far less reliable.

Sometimes it is the luck of the draw, boys and girls. You don't necessarily get what you pay for.
CFI & CFII Helicopter, AGI
Old 02-20-2010, 03:34 AM

I continue to think guns like the Tarus PT1911 offer young shooters on a budget a chance to own a new 1911 and that is a good thing, although I have never engaged Taurus service, but it IS a 1911.

I played with mine for about 2K rounds and it was still running. I need to sandbag and chrono it before I get rid of it. Here is a target at 15 yards, one hand like bullseye slow fire and 6 rounds because I set up my database for revolvers and I still shoot lots of revolvers.

What the snobs talk about is something like a Colt XSE LW Commander with a shorter sight radius under the same conditions.

Or a Colt Special Combat Gov at 25, not 15 yards.

In a way, you do get what you pay for, or what you work on. I picked up a 1991 SS Colt Commander (and Colt said this was made in 1991) for $300. It had a horrible trigger and did not shoot that well.

A call to Brownells got me parts and I threw on another pair of grips from my parts box. I now have an O.K. gun with a good trigger for about $425. But what this takes is knowledge, and a lot of younger shooters do not have that. Oops; that target was shot at 25 yards and is tilted. I was shooting at the black + which was at the 6 o'clock. Also not sure I drifted that rear sight over.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:16 AM

Given that the original poster lied from the outset, debating the original poster's claims is really pointless.

The value and quality of most 1911's on the market, compared to the Taurus offering, is patently obvious.

When 1911lawman stated that he has owned high-end 1911's, to include Wilson Combat, he or she apparently forgot posting only a week previously that...

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=255717
Quote:
When I get the money ($2950) to buy my first WC. This would be the gun. Isn't she pretty!!
1911lawman started the thread by saying...

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=256706
Quote:
I owner a Kimber Ultra II, SA loaded & WC QCB and I will tell you what. The Taurus is on par with all of them.
As the experienced owner of a Wilson Combat QCB, who a week previously didn't have the money to purchase his first Wilson Combat 1911, what we have is someone who can't lie consistently and therefore doesn't merit further consideration beyond that of an internet troll. The poster's subsequent posts bear this out. Even as an anonymous poster on an internet board, credibility counts for something.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns3guppy View Post
Given that the original poster lied from the outset, debating the original poster's claims is really pointless.

The value and quality of most 1911's on the market, compared to the Taurus offering, is patently obvious.

When 1911lawman stated that he has owned high-end 1911's, to include Wilson Combat, he or she apparently forgot posting only a week previously that...

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=255717

1911lawman started the thread by saying...

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=256706

As the experienced owner of a Wilson Combat QCB, who a week previously didn't have the money to purchase his first Wilson Combat 1911, what we have is someone who can't lie consistently and therefore doesn't merit further consideration beyond that of an internet troll. The poster's subsequent posts bear this out. Even as an anonymous poster on an internet board, credibility counts for something.
Excellent post!

As I said in a previous post,PT1911 threads always go out of control because of statements like the op made.Also,I think everyone can agree that there is nothing wrong with an inexpensive 1911.The concept is sound.BUT,when people start this"mine is as good as a xxxx pistol",thats when the train goes off the track.
Face it people,if there wasn't a difference between PT1911 and your semi custom builders guns,the semi custom builders would be out of business.Word of mouth works for inexpensive guns as well as high end ones.
So,1911lawman,lets see some pics of YOUR groups with YOUR PT1911 at 25yds.

DAT85
Old 02-20-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT85 View Post
Excellent post!

BUT,when people start this"mine is as good as a xxxx pistol",thats when the train goes off the track.
Face it people,if there wasn't a difference between PT1911 and your semi custom builders guns,the semi custom builders would be out of business.

DAT85
OK here's a question for those that do own the semi custom guns: How are the higher end guns different? I ask because I've never owned or shot a Les Baer, Wilson Combat, etc. Right now I have a RIA tactical, and am pretty impressed with it's accuracy and reliability. (Keep in mind, I've not had it that long, so durability remains to be seen) I was just wondering because I see posts all the time about getting what you pay for, etc., but don't know what extra you get for the money. Does it have more to do with materials, finish, internals? I've owned several other 1911's from major manufacturers that didn't hold a candle to the RIA (even at twice the price) but haven't had any experience with the truly high end stuff.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." - Ted Nugent
Old 02-20-2010, 09:04 AM

IDK about high end gun differences, but there is a world of difference between my kimber covert and my taurus 1911's. I will say my taurus has run without hiccup, my biggest complaint being the overly thin finish applied to the gun. I can literally see through the finish in bright sunlight. other than that no real complaint, but keep in mind I did not buy a taurus to be a tack driver. anyone who buys a 500 dollar 1911 expecting high accuracy is fooling themselves. It is a combat accurate weapon that serves it's function. Will I buy another one.... no.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspian17 View Post
Amen....and to that effect let me point out that while I own an Armscor product and I'm getting another one I plan to save up and try out an SA Operator...if I like that maybe I'll get a TRP someday...still, I've yet to become angry when someone tells me my gun or a gun I like is junk. What's the point?

As for the Ambi-safeties on the Taurus? Considering the fact that my local gunshop has sold quite a few they've had two where the Ambis have fallen off. This is direct from the owner Bernie who as of yet has never lied to me (hell he told me that awhile back when I was thinking about buying one from him, I dig an honest gun dealer) Personally I think that since Taurus is new to the game that they might iron out any bugs in the next several years...then again they might not but it's too soon to tell.

Yes it is true that not all of us have a fortune to spend on shooting. Reloading cures some of those woes and you're finally running into primers again (got a couple 150 count boxes of Federal Large Pistol at Scheels Farge ND) if you think reloading is too tedious? Well, tough luck.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by Kodadek; 02-20-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
So,1911lawman,lets see some pics of YOUR groups with YOUR PT1911 at 25yds.
If 1911lawman's posts have been untruthful (they have), why bother getting him or her to post pictures of groups? One has no expectation of credibility, or truthfulness with pictures, either.

Quote:
It is a combat accurate weapon that serves it's function. Will I buy another one.... no.
A very nice, unbiased view; the Taurus is what it is, and shouldn't be viewed as more. However, while "combat accuracy" is often used to describe a firearm that could hit the broad site of a barn (thus making it "good enough,"), it's a term seldom used by anyone who has actually been in combat.

Combat reliability might be a better term, and when your life is on the line, there's no such thing as being too accurate, or too reliable. The Taurus, of course, is neither.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns3guppy View Post

A very nice, unbiased view; the Taurus is what it is, and shouldn't be viewed as more. However, while "combat accuracy" is often used to describe a firearm that could hit the broad site of a barn (thus making it "good enough,"), it's a term seldom used by anyone who has actually been in combat.

Combat reliability might be a better term, and when your life is on the line, there's no such thing as being too accurate, or too reliable. The Taurus, of course, is neither.

touche,lol. you are correct, combat reliable is a better term. In a "combat situation" the pistol is a last resort weapon so it must go bang every time or that's it! the rifle or carbine must be the more accurate one of the two.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:01 PM

Let's get real

I've owned most major manufacturers 1911s, Including Taurus. I recommend Taurus to anyone looking for a 1911 in the $500 - $600 range. I tell people that for the money, it has the most features and is reliable and accurate.

However, don't fool yourself into thinking that there aren't better 1911s out there. It is true that you get what you pay for.

I traded my Stainless Taurus PT 1911 in on my Kimber Raptor, a $1,350 pistol. Is it a better pistol than the Taurus? Undoubtedly. Is it worth $700 dollars more than a Taurus? To me yes.

This doesn't mean the Taurus isn't a bargain. I expect I will own one again sometime.