PT 1911 break in - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-17-2010, 10:06 PM

PT 1911 break in

Just bought my first 1911 yesterday. I have yet to shoot it and was wondering how many rounds i should put through her before its first cleaning.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:15 PM

i have seen torture tests where they have put thousands of rounds thru the pt-1911 without stopping let alone cleaning.
me i like to clean my guns after i use them. if i put 50 rounds thru them or 500 rounds i clean em when i get home.
and yes i have a taurus pt-1911.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:24 PM

I usually do the same and i never had an issue but i was just wondering if these 'ol timer guns are any different
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2010, 01:08 AM

I may be a bit weird but I break down, inspect, clean and lube right out of the box. Then go shoot.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamd View Post
I may be a bit weird but I break down, inspect, clean and lube right out of the box. Then go shoot.
Good advice there. Especially with a Taurus they pack that gunk in their guns good for the salt water protection.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:53 AM

Quote:
me too- part because a gun breaks in better when properly cleaned of packing grease, and appropriately lubed- and also part because i cant usually own a new gun for more than 12 minutes before i detail strip it for fun.

as far as cleaning, i religiously clean my weapon after each range session, and carry guns get cleaned every payday (every 2 weeks). i also use synthetic gun lubricants- they work better for carry- less likely to evap and gum up.

the gun breaking in should be under appropriate lube. running it dry in the breakin is a lousy idea.

thats why glock puts that super secret bronze colored grease on several parts- and dosent tell you what it is- even if you call them up... its to help the breakin process, and thats all!

run your guns wet on the range, keep them dry when the drill master is running white gloves in the ejection ports, and somewhere in the middle after you graduate the academy- thats how i learned it.

and (brace yourselves for a ****storm) for god sakes- dont use breakfree for lubrication of any weapon you plan on carrying for defense!

it evaporates, and thins under heat- even body heat- causing your lube to drip out! if that happens, imagine what happens after several rounds down the tube- guess what- no lubrication! hello malfunctions! hope you have a backup gun! (preferably also not lubed with breakfree!)

im not in the lube business- i wont try to sell you on my favorite brand- because any of the quality synthetics are fine- just my experience, and that of my associates.

i do love powder blast however! to the point that i put it on my cherios in the morning!
Old 02-20-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicgunslinger View Post
part because i cant usually own a new gun for more than 12 minutes before i detail strip it for fun.

i do love powder blast however! to the point that i put it on my cherios in the morning!
As John Wayne said. "By God, you (she) reminds me of me!"

Yea, I got a new baby 1911 yesterdy - Mustang Pocketlite - and had it stripped, cleaned and lubed within 30 minutes of leaving the shop. It was DIRTY. Previous owner said he did not take it apart as there was a tricky little spring in there that popped out and disappeared. Just be careful! Same for the ejector that can rotate and interfere with the magazine.

Lube - I am a former cyclist (still have an Orbea and a QRoo, if anyone is interested) and find that the teflon lubes for bike chains work well. But, also use some special stuff from Brownell's .. something like Friction Extreme. I have been known to borrow some S.T.O.S. from my shotgun safe for slide/rail.

I use those bamboo skewers that restaurants use for the 'corners'. They are a bit flexble but tough and you can dig out gunk w/o worry of scratching the finish. You can buy them cheap but collecting them from restaurants is more fun! Eat the shrimp first!
Old 02-27-2010, 10:42 AM

they say 1911's need to be broken in before they are reliable. i have some makes other than taurus that did need a break in period. my taurus was 100% reliable straight out of the box and has not had a single malfunction since i have owned it.

on the cleaning issue. i like to clean every new gun i buy before shooting it. i also like to clean my guns after shooting even if its just 50 rounds. keep your guns clean and you can avoid many of the problems people write about.

ps it's nice to see taurus has it's own heading now

Last edited by DALEGRIBBLE; 02-27-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:42 PM
Banned

just shoot it! Break in? it's not a car!
Old 03-01-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALEGRIBBLE View Post

ps it's nice to see taurus has it's own heading now
Hell yeah i went to "other 1911's" and i was like where the hell did the taurus threads go!
Old 03-03-2010, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachexotic03 View Post
just shoot it! Break in? it's not a car!
This is bad info. All machines have clearances and tolerances, and the M1911is designed and manufactured for the machine to wear in to an optimum mode of operation.

You can just shoot them; but don't be surprised if you have a few malfunctions early on as the parts wear into each other.

Just clean them thoroughly and use plenty of lubrication to "break in" a piece.

As far as cleaning is concerned, I have fallen out of the detail clean habit since my early days. I'm a "shoot more lube into it" guy now, and only detail clean if I expose a firearm to salt water or get fingerprints all over it.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Banned

PT 1911 stainless

Hey Chuck by any chance are you the movie maker karate expert movie star? with a name like chuck Norris I'm sure you've been asked this before. If you are I think it's pretty cool that you picked the Taurus PT 1911 as you called them Old-timer guns. I'll tell you what I think John Mosses Browning was 100 years ahead of gun design when he came up with this old timer 1911. I think most gun manufacturers pick up the 1911 and look at it and say to them selves can we make a pistol any better than this one? JMB set the standard and after 100 years he still is.

Cuba
Old 03-06-2010, 04:09 PM

Well so far i have about 100 rounds through my piece. I then field striped, cleaned and lubed her. But now i think it might have some issues..

When the magazines are fully loaded they are very hard to put in. Then when they're in the slide is extremely hard to pull back. This is with both hp and ball ammo. If i only put 7rds in it is so much easier, like the way i think it should be.

Anyone care to shed some light on this?
Old 03-06-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
Well so far i have about 100 rounds through my piece. I then field striped, cleaned and lubed her. But now i think it might have some issues..

When the magazines are fully loaded they are very hard to put in. Then when they're in the slide is extremely hard to pull back. This is with both hp and ball ammo. If i only put 7rds in it is so much easier, like the way i think it should be.

Anyone care to shed some light on this?
Just sounds like you've got some really fresh mags to me. The springs in them aren't "broken in" yet, so it's naturally tough having them fully loaded. Just keep using the mags and eventually it should get easier to chamber a round when they're fully loaded.

You should definitely break down your mags and clean/lube them as well. Most people forget that their magazines need love too.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:34 PM

Not weird

Quote:
If you're weird, move over. I agree with the OTB breakdown, inspection and put together routine.

One must become "familiar" with his weapon.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:54 PM

My 'Dearly Departed' always brought 'em home, took 'em apart and scrubbed the 'goo' away, greased 'em up and went out and shot for hours. Came home, stuck 'em in front of me and said, "Clean 'em - you ain't THAT good a cook'"! And there began my 'education' in firearms. Started with 'cleaning'!
Old 03-30-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
You're not the only one. When I first got my AR-15 I didn't clean and lube it before I took it out for a spin. When I did take it out to the range it was FTF city. Now I always break down, inspect, clean, and lube a new firearm.