1911Forum banner

What Is The Best Compact (3"-3.5") 1911 On The Market?

55K views 71 replies 59 participants last post by  LivinFishin 
#1 ·
My EDC for now will be my Colt Rail Gun. But in the future I would like to get a great compact 1911 in 45. Don't want a flame war, just want some good advice. Thanks.

#3 ·
I've had three now. Two ran great, one, well, not so much. /I have an EMP that runs well, and shoots straight, .40 cal. Had a Kimber CDP ultra in 9mm, ran like a top till it was stolen. Had a springer champion in .45 that would not run reguardless of ammo and left the herd.

I kind of think it depends on the particular example of the gun you have. Colt Defender seems to have it's share of fans.

#8 ·
Hi all.
I like a short BRL. semi auto 3", 3-1/4", or 3.3" or close to that. I find that I can hit a man sized target In the kill area at 25 yards with no problem. And that Is only If I had to! I have In 45 ACP. a Colt Defender 3", Kimber Ultra Carry 3", A S&W Pro Series ( my carry pistol ) Springer V10, 3-1/4" Colt Officers with a King comp BRL. set up that Is 3-1/4"/1/2"? and a Taurus PT145 PRO with a 3.3" BRL. They all work and shoot as well as I do, no better and no worse. At one time or another, I have carried all of the above Pistols.
Just my 2 cents folks.

Hank.

#10 ·
I've carried a number of 3-3.5" .45s.

Colt (2: 1991 compact, Defender)

Springfield (2: Ultra-Compact V-10s, one SS Loaded, the other a LW)

Llama (2: Compact double-stack and a Compact single Stack)

Para Ordnance Slim Hawg (The smallest and slimmest of those I've carried)

I never had any function/reliability issues with any of them (including the Llamas).

I traded away the Llamas because of the feel, fit and finish of them (someone once described one of the ones I owned as a good, functional, firearm with the fit and finish of a chinese crowbar) To be fair both wore that ugly (to me) matte black sandpaper-like finish.

I traded away the Colt 1991 Compact because the fit and feel reminded me of a Llama I once owned.

I traded away the Colt Defender simply because I got a great deal on something else I wanted and I just hadn't been able to fall in love with it. It's a great choice IMO.

I still have the LW Springer and the Para.

I now carry a 70s-era Colt LW Commander (too big for your mini-poll).

I'd recommend 1.) Colt Defender, 2.) Any Springfiield 3 or 3.5, 3.) Para Slim Hawg.

But, frankly, for just a little bit larger, a lot more accuracy, and a lot more style, just buy a Colt Commander.

Best,

Will

#11 ·
I own and shoot two compact 1911 style pistols. One is a compact Citadel (made by RIA - a lot of gun for the money) and a Smith & Wesson 1911 ES. The Citadel's barrel is 3.5" and the ES has a barrel length of 4.25". Both will keep a mag full of rounds well within an 8" circle at 25 yards. Both have been reliable with no FTF or FTRB. I am comfortable carrying either one.

#12 ·
I just bought a warthog yesterday and I think ill be very happy with it. Its a 3" barrel and shorter than officer size grips. Mag capacity is 10.

I was shopping around looking at Kimber ultras and springer micros as well but for the money the para options made the decision for me.

Ill be breaking it in in about a week and I have already started a review thread in the para forum.

Nate

#13 ·
I've had my Kimber Tactical Ultra II for over 4 years now and its been a great gun. My son was 11 years old when he first started shooting it and its his favorite gun to shoot. I've also let my sister, who is all of 120 lbs soaking wet, shoot it and she hasn't had any issue with it either. The recoil is surprisingly not bad for a small .45 that is aluminum framed.

#15 ·
I've owned a few...

Here is my list of "micro 1911s"

Para P10/40
Para Warthog .45 acp
Para C6.45LDA
Colt New Agent
Detonics MkVI Professional .45 acp.

I don't have the P10/40 now; there were performance issues with the gun that I suspect is caliber related; I think the recoil of the .40 S&W is too abrupt for a sub-compact as opposed to the more gentle push type recoil of .45 acp.

The Warthog has not given me any problems, is easy to hold (for my meathooks) and has never had a misfire or FTF/FTE. Recoil with +P ammo is different - manageable but you can feel the difference.

The Para C6.45LDA was purchased used; after owning it for a while I noticed a hairline fracture in the slide, vertically near the front sight. Since I wasn't the original owner I had to negotiate with Para on a replacement slide price - since then I've read of a few more issues involving the slide cracking near the front sight. I'm tempted to write Para and inquire about how frequent this problem really is.

The Colt New Agent - wow, what can I say? I like it, have some Crimson Trace carbon fiber grips on it and after 500 rounds I haven't got a complaint about it whatsoever. It took about 5 rounds to figure out the sight notch. Of the above 4 it is by far and away the best sub-compact 1911 I've owned...until now:

I just bought an original (Seattle) Detonics MkVI Professional; picked it up on Monday. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet; we've had over 12" of snow here (just north of Detroit by about an hour) or I would have gone to the range and ran a few rounds through it. If this one performs as well as the comments I've read about it then it will become my primary off-duty carry pistol. Until then I'll carry the New Agent in rotation with several other 1911s I've been known to carry...

As far as Kimber and Springfield Armory INC. I've never seen a Springfield Micro up close and personal, and despite having good success with a Classic Custom and Pro Carry II, I have no desire to own either company's subcompact 1911. If someone were to make one in .38 Super I would really consider that though...

#17 ·
Here is my list of "micro 1911s"

Para P10/40
Para Warthog .45 acp
Para C6.45LDA
Colt New Agent
Detonics MkVI Professional .45 acp.

I don't have the P10/40 now; there were performance issues with the gun that I suspect is caliber related; I think the recoil of the .40 S&W is too abrupt for a sub-compact as opposed to the more gentle push type recoil of .45 acp.

The Warthog has not given me any problems, is easy to hold (for my meathooks) and has never had a misfire or FTF/FTE. Recoil with +P ammo is different - manageable but you can feel the difference.

The Para C6.45LDA was purchased used; after owning it for a while I noticed a hairline fracture in the slide, vertically near the front sight. Since I wasn't the original owner I had to negotiate with Para on a replacement slide price - since then I've read of a few more issues involving the slide cracking near the front sight. I'm tempted to write Para and inquire about how frequent this problem really is.

The Colt New Agent - wow, what can I say? I like it, have some Crimson Trace carbon fiber grips on it and after 500 rounds I haven't got a complaint about it whatsoever. It took about 5 rounds to figure out the sight notch. Of the above 4 it is by far and away the best sub-compact 1911 I've owned...until now:

I just bought an original (Seattle) Detonics MkVI Professional; picked it up on Monday. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet; we've had over 12" of snow here (just north of Detroit by about an hour) or I would have gone to the range and ran a few rounds through it. If this one performs as well as the comments I've read about it then it will become my primary off-duty carry pistol. Until then I'll carry the New Agent in rotation with several other 1911s I've been known to carry...

As far as Kimber and Springfield Armory INC. I've never seen a Springfield Micro up close and personal, and despite having good success with a Classic Custom and Pro Carry II, I have no desire to own either company's subcompact 1911. If someone were to make one in .38 Super I would really consider that though...
I know what you mean about the snow. We got crazy snow in Big Rapids, and a Blizzard in Lapeer. I'm really feeling colt for this next project. But I have heard good things about the EMP 40.

#18 ·
I've owned a few three (and 3 1/2) inchers:
Two Para C6
One Charles Daly (Armscor)
Two EMP 9mm
One Colt Defender
Two Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II (still own one, sold the other in a moment of financial weakness)
One Kimber Ultra CDP (still own it)

The wife has owned:
One Springfield Mil-Spec (or GI, I forget; it was steel, parkerised)
One Kimber Ultra CDP II (she sold the Springfield after shooting my Ultra CDP, still owns it)

Bottom line: The Kimbers are the only ones that have been absoutely trouble free with all mags and any ammo (FMJ, JHP or my 200 gr SWCs).

#23 ·
Guess you didn't notice the trench sight ????

which IMHO are the best carry sights made......the pistol is very accurate if you have time to look down the sights which is very unlikely.....not a range pistol ....3" 45 are conceal carry pistols....the best...

Rgds
Eric

#27 ·
i had a 'hog and while it was accurate, and reliable it just wasnet my favorite, little hard to hold on to due to the awkward width, i got pinky extensions but never shot it after i got them, i am sure that would have helped alot, the regal finish is not a good finish, it chips easily, get a stainless gun, or cerakote it. i sold it and bought a 9mm emp, i would rather shoot a 45 but for summer carry it works.

#28 ·
what constitutes a sight?

Polizei, I understand what you are saying; however, the "gutter" or whatever you would call the sight on the New Agent is a sight. I have several old shotguns with just a bead for a front sight and one old single barrel 12 gauge that doesn't even have a front bead.

Here's a target from my second trip to the range with my New Agent. Shot more to break-in the gun, its 100 rounds from 3-1/2 to 15 yards; shoot three mags, reload, shoot. While not a "perfect" 1,000 with 100X the sights on the gun are more then adequate.

I respect your opinion, but disagree about the gun not having "sights".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.