Gentler AMMO for my 2" .357 Magnum - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-30-2020, 09:04 PM

Gentler AMMO for my 2" .357 Magnum

Recently picked up an interesting (& pretty) Taurus model 651, 2" .357 Magnum 5 shot Revolver. It is camel-backed - due to a shrouded (but still manually cocked SA) or DA. It is in pristine condition mechanically, & cosmetically - with nice Cocobolo Grips. It's unusual but fascinating.
Since I may let my wife use it - I'm seeking recommendations for an inexpensive, gentle, hollow point cartridge - that will fit the 38spl/.357 Chamber. as I'm somewhat new to this caliber revolver.

Also not adverse to buying pre-owned excess ammo - if it's a good deal.

Thanks all, C.
Attached Thumbnails
Taurus 651 H21474-L198258899.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2020, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Speer Gold Dot .38 spl.

https://www.speer.com/ammunition/han...9-23921GD.html
Old 06-30-2020, 10:31 PM

Around here .

They call it .38 Special.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 11:34 PM

3,,,, Never mind.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Unless your wife is an experienced handgun shooter, shooting magnum loads in that 2" revolver probably would cause her to not want to shoot any handguns ever again. If it's for her, stick to the lowest power .38 Special ammo you can find. I'm assuming you don't reload.

NRA Life Member
Old 07-01-2020, 06:44 AM

This might help.
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=1019942
Old 07-01-2020, 08:53 AM

For SD, the old FBI load. Winchester still makes them--- 158gr LHPSWC +p; For practice 158 gr RN or SWC.
If that's too much then 148gr LHBWC
Old 07-01-2020, 05:57 PM

Hornady makes a .38spcl reduced recoil load. Even came in a pink box to appeal to the ladies. That would be my recommendation.....if you can find it.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Peltier View Post
Hornady makes a .38spcl reduced recoil load. Even came in a pink box to appeal to the ladies. That would be my recommendation.....if you can find it.
I keep this round in a SW air weight for my wife. I'm not sure if it is any softer shooting but she likes the pink tip.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:33 PM

Load .357's for defense, shoot .38 Specials for practice.
If the wife is going to shoot it, ditch the laminate grips. The rubber while not pleasing to the eye, will dampen felt recoil. She will find them much more comfortable to shoot.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 07-02-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
Load .357's for defense, shoot .38 Specials for practice.
If the wife is going to shoot it, ditch the laminate grips. The rubber while not pleasing to the eye, will dampen felt recoil. She will find them much more comfortable to shoot.
HaHa - I already ditched the FUGLY rubber grips. they are much to fat in width to conceal easily, & not long enough to get all fingers on. I really hated them - & couldn't find a more sensible design. Ended up trading the "balloon tires" off to a pal - selling an older revolver. He liked them to make his sale revolver look like a newer one. The wood ones in the picture feel better to me - in addition to the eye candy - I can always put one of the rubber band grips over the wood.
We both may be using the pistol. I plan on having both .357 & light 38 spl ammo on hand. Just looking for the right cartridges - at the right price.
If anybody made them in steel case, I'd sure try them out.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:58 PM

I would start with the midrange wadcutter ammo just to see how she likes that, then go to a standard pressure HP load and then to a +P load if she is fine with the recoil. She always just use the +P for defense and the standard loads for play.

If she can handle it, the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel +P HPs are great.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasig View Post
HaHa - I already ditched the FUGLY rubber grips. they are much to fat in width to conceal easily, & not long enough to get all fingers on. I really hated them - & couldn't find a more sensible design. Ended up trading the "balloon tires" off to a pal - selling an older revolver. He liked them to make his sale revolver look like a newer one. The wood ones in the picture feel better to me - in addition to the eye candy - I can always put one of the rubber band grips over the wood.
We both may be using the pistol. I plan on having both .357 & light 38 spl ammo on hand. Just looking for the right cartridges - at the right price.
If anybody made them in steel case, I'd sure try them out.
Federal HST or Speer Gold Dots are some of your highly rated defensive ammo.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 07-06-2020, 06:28 PM

You really need to reload for that if you want inexpensive ammo that will provide an acceptable performance and recoil...I presume that is a steel frame revolver and not some kind of airweight-the following load is controllable in airweight snubbies but it is not something you would want to shoot a hundred of and for a newcomer/or inexperienced shooter it would be a bit much in an alloy frame.

In a steel frame is much better-in fact a favorite of mine in any short barrel .38Spl/.357, even with longer barrels.

To duplicate (or nearly so) the FBI +p load, use 4.0-4.3grains of Accurate #2 and these bullets.

https://www.mattsbullets.com/index.p...roducts_id=323

Accurate #2 is a fast, reduced flash powder and really shines in snubby revolvers and .380 ACP pistols! Those particular bullets are cast from a very soft alloy and do not break up on impact but they do expand impressively...

Last edited by Capt. Methane; 07-06-2020 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:45 AM

I have an airweight 5 shot S&W 357/38. I can shoot .357 or .38 out of it even though I never shoot many .357. I keep it loaded with .38 At home with .357 on a speed loader. But I own large bore handguns and can handle recoil.

If this is for someone who isn’t and probably never will be used to a recoil heavy pistol I would have them train with .38 and load with .38 for home defense and never buy .357 for it. If she only ever trains with .38 you don’t want to load the gun with something that could make it fly out of her hands after the first shot in a self defense situation because she’s never trained with that load and doesn’t know how it feels. If either of you may access it for home defense defer to her and stick to .38.

If you want .357 in it sometimes and it’s for either of you to use in self defense she should train with it to The point where she can empty a cylinder with a consistent grip and consistent follow up shots.

In a home defense situation my wife is probably going for one of my larger pistols and not bothering with my little S&W M360 revolver. Way too accustomed to the controllable nature of larger-framed semi autos, her background is Compact and full sized .40s. The 360 is more of a jogging gun for my belly band than the first thing either of us picks up in a home invasion.

Last edited by eharri3; 07-07-2020 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:56 AM

I haven’t got past the “I may LET my wife use it”. That excuse for buying a gun has been unsuccessfully tried many times. My wife has several guns I bought FOR her. She shoots the ones she picked out in person. The cruse ships ride much smoother than a bass boat and the girls know it.

Last edited by STORM2; 07-07-2020 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STORM2 View Post
I haven’t got past the “I may LET my wife use it”. That excuse for buying a gun has been unsuccessfully tried many times. My wife has several guns I bought FOR her. She shoots the ones she picked out in person. The cruse ships ride much smoother than a bass boat and the girls know it.
HAHA - OK - I ADMIT I LIKE IT. It is surprisingly well made from the Taurus's I've seen. The fit & finish are all superb. I was looking for a well made but inexpensive DA/SA revolver for my wife to use, something like a few of the older stainless Rossi's - I'd seen - but could find none of those - & this one came home with me.
Since we are both in our 70's the light .38spl rounds MAY be what we both use. She is NOT a gun person - but can operate a revolver -
If prayer doesn't work first.
My own NEW personal favorite (general purpose) handgun is a Stainless SAR 2000. It is a CZ-75B Clone, 9mm, 19 round, SA/DA. Great You Tube Reviews - & even better in person.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:34 AM

First thing you're going to want to do, is get a full grip on that thing. Taurus sells them cheap on their website.

I will echo the above recommendation for the Hornady light load 38spl. A hit with that is better than a miss with a 357. And honestly, with a barrel that short, you're not going to get great ballistics no matter what ammo you use.

In all honesty, if you're looking for a gun your wife can handle, sell that and find a 327 mag you can load 32 H&R mag in. biggest band / no recoil.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:24 AM

I've got Magtech Guardian Gold .38 +P's in my Taurus 605 for everyday carry. STILL softer than .357, but you won't see anybody lining up to jump in FRONT of it.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:33 AM

[QUOTE=Rumblur;13206074]First thing you're going to want to do, is get a full grip on that thing. Taurus sells them cheap on their website.
QUOTE]

I MAY get a fatter grip - IF the wooden ones don't work out. I traded off the rubber grip it came with because: it was to FAT & not long enough for all fingers + it was to sticky to allow good concealment.
The wood grips I traded for - in addition to being very pretty, are better for small hands - making the trigger easier to reach, & all fingers fit on, & further around the grip. With any luck - It won't get used at all as a self defense weapon (other than a range trial). A belly gun - NOT range toy.

Last edited by crasig; 07-08-2020 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:37 AM

I'll second Horardy Critical Defense 'Lite' reduced recoil guaranteed expansion (they do this by cheating - by changing the thickness of the Jacket). This is great option for snub-nose.

Grant

NRA - Life Member
NRA - LE Instructor. Member IALEFI
Old 07-10-2020, 10:41 PM

For defensive purposes in a "lighter load," I would go with 38 spl +P Federal HST Micro, IF you can find it. Second choice would be Speer 38 spl +P Gold Dots for short barrel.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:36 AM

I don’t like how my 2 3/4” barrel handles 357 mag loads. I think the 38 special round nose is the way to go for the misses. I like my magnums with 4” barrels to 10” barrels.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......