One more bucket list just one - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-13-2020, 09:52 AM

One more bucket list just one

I want one, just one on my bucket list. A s&w m 29/6.5” in nickel finish. Any one will do even a nib 29-10. I’m going to try to order one from my dealer.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 06-14-2020, 08:15 PM

If it is on the list then you need to find one. Life is too short.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:34 AM

The only 29 currently available from Smith is the blued Classic model (I believe it is a 29-10). They seem to have discontinued any of the nickel Classics.

Not to worry, there are plenty out there - you just better be prepared to "pay salty" for them. The 29-2 was the last "traditional" 29 that came in 6.5", which in the later part of the run was standardized at 6". 29-2's were the last pinned & recessed 44's. They seem to range between $1200 to $1900 depending on condition, completeness and geographic locale. The nickel guns are nominally more than the blued.

Good luck in your hunt. Probably the most cost effective 6.5" nickel guns would be from the discontinued Classic series - those will probably be harder to find (but less money) than the 29-2's.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2020, 01:24 PM

I have a Nickeled 29-2 6 1/2" barrel with presentation case and tools included. One of my most prized possessions. My father in law gave it to me for Christmas in 2014. I would never part with it. Did I mention that it is in pristine condition?
Old 06-15-2020, 01:31 PM

Well, if you 'must' have one, here's an option:

https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/s...agnum-pr49454/

Pizza Bob's 'Be prepared to "pay salty"' warning is indeed correct!!!!
Old 06-15-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanajim View Post

If it is just for you, get a new one and get one of the reputable shops to plate it for you-no, it won't be pinned and recessed and yes, it would have that Illary Hole but you'd probably come out about $400 dollars ahead...

Oh heck, for $400 you need to wince, get the card out and buy that one!

But I warn you, there is no "just one more"!!!

Seriously, my limiting factor right now is twofold.

1) I'm tired of buying dies, toolheads and perhaps bullet molds and luberisizer dies for new calibers and then trying to figure out where the heck to store them...so no new calibers.

Which is hardly a limiting factor in all honesty...

2) Storing any new firearms...especially given my penchant for carbine rifles to go with revolver cartridges! The only reason I don't have any carbine self loaders in .45 ACP is that I haven't come across one that sticks to me. Admittedly, besides the undeniable cool factor the Thompsons are overpriced and weigh about what an M-1 Garand weighs! Seriously, I dang near dropped the one (pure semi-auto version) that I got to shoot when the owner handed it to me because I was expecting, well, a carbine's weight, not an old school battle rifle! The owner has a violin case for it too...

And now my wife is making CWP noises, which likely means a 9mm. Crap, more reloading stuff to keep track of!

(Yes, believe it or not, I have nothing in 9mm. Not that I haven't been tempted but it was never a Glock. A couple of Lugers and one Walther P-38 that I do sometimes kick myself over-pretty, just enough wear to be authentic but never run over by a T-34 and with the WWII markings. If someone dropped a Browning High Power in my lap I'd probably hang onto it but they're getting stupid money now too!)

I'd love to have a SAA clone in .41 but there are no Viable options I've seen. Yeah, there are the 5 shot Freedom Arms (sorry, nice concept but no-6 rounds please!) and Ruger Blackhawks but I'm so PO'd with Ruger that they most likely aren't going to get any more money out of me.

Adding an Uberti in .357 though, that I could do!

Last edited by Capt. Methane; 06-15-2020 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:37 PM

I have this old girl. "S" prefix serial number and I have the proper clamshell presentation case. This one was built when S&W really cared about quality. If I had too, it would be the very last gun I sell.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanajim View Post

As pretty as that gun is, I'm glad that they went with a blued one for Dirty Harry. Callahan was too low-key and unassuming to be flashing around a peacock like that.

BTW Collectors Firearms may be proud of the stuff they sell, but they do take offers. It wouldn't hurt to see if they could knock it down a couple hundred or so.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Methane View Post
If it is just for you, get a new one and get one of the reputable shops to plate it for you-no, it won't be pinned and recessed and yes, it would have that Illary Hole but you'd probably come out about $400 dollars ahead...
Just speaking from personal experience... pay a little more and get exactly what you want. Close will never cut it, as the gun will be around a lot longer than the temporary hit on your bank account.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Just speaking from personal experience... pay a little more and get exactly what you want. Close will never cut it, as the gun will be around a lot longer than the temporary hit on your bank account.
Buy once Cry once
Old 07-11-2020, 04:48 AM

Added more to my bucket list, I’m not done till that last shovel of dirt goes on top of me. Lol

S&W n frame m25/45 long colt 6.5” barrel in nickel.
Redhawk s/s 5.5” barrel 45 long colt.
Blackhawk 357/9 mm 6” barrel blue
Blackhawk 41 mag, 6” blue
Super Blackhawk 44 mag 7.5” blue
Super Blackhawk 45 long colt 7.5” blue

Last edited by 1911crazy; 07-11-2020 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:10 PM

1911crazy...

An N-frame .45 Colt would be a Model 25. The Model 24 is a .44 Special.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
Added more to my bucket list, I’m not done till that last shovel of dirt goes on top of me. Lol

S&W n frame m24/45 long colt 6.5” barrel in nickel.
Redhawk s/s 5.5” barrel 45 long colt.
Blackhawk 357/9 mm 6” barrel blue
Blackhawk 41 mag, 6” blue
Super Blackhawk 44 mag 7.5” blue
Super Blackhawk 45 long colt 7.5” blue
It seems your bucket has a hole in it....or maybe 6...

Not to worry, i think all of our buckets have leaks...
Old 07-11-2020, 08:33 PM

Here’s my s&w m27-2/6” in nickel hardly shot.
Attached Thumbnails
1D36FB54-CBDF-4361-BBD8-95A24CBB16EC.jpeg   B8A44BCE-CFF8-4234-9BD9-9F8377738332.jpeg   A2C113F9-9886-4AE1-9995-1DF0E445923D.jpeg