RIA fatboy Q - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-19-2020, 08:21 PM
redcaddy51 redcaddy51 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 244
RIA fatboy Q

I posted a while back about a Armscor/ API 45 ACP "fatboy"

I've shot it some, enjoyed it, but now it's starting to be a jamb-o matic.

I've traced the problem to a worn guide rod and a weak (kinked) recoil spring. Locking lugs, link and feed ramp all look good. Slide will sometimes stop just short of full battery. (1/8th inch or so)

Anybody have spec's , or a source/part number, on the recoil spring that it should have?

I suspect the spring because, although it will feed hard ball most of the time, (1 or 2 Fail to feed in 2 full mag's, average.) it will not feed 3 in a row with 3 different brands of HP, or my 185 Gr. reloads. I tested all 6 of my magazines after clean and lube.

I had this little girl in my carry rotation until she started getting unreliable, I want her back, help

Thanks, Paul in da swamp
__________________
If it turns $$$ into smoke and noise, I'm there.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-21-2020, 02:02 PM
Steam Boat Steam Boat is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcaddy51 View Post
I posted a while back about a Armscor/ API 45 ACP "fatboy"

I've shot it some, enjoyed it, but now it's starting to be a jamb-o matic.

I've traced the problem to a worn guide rod and a weak (kinked) recoil spring. Locking lugs, link and feed ramp all look good. Slide will sometimes stop just short of full battery. (1/8th inch or so)

Anybody have spec's , or a source/part number, on the recoil spring that it should have?

I suspect the spring because, although it will feed hard ball most of the time, (1 or 2 Fail to feed in 2 full mag's, average.) it will not feed 3 in a row with 3 different brands of HP, or my 185 Gr. reloads. I tested all 6 of my magazines after clean and lube.

I had this little girl in my carry rotation until she started getting unreliable, I want her back, help

Thanks, Paul in da swamp

The “Fat Boy” is made by ATI, NOT RIA.
Although they are both made in the Philippines, they are made by different manufacturers.

ATI is manufactured by S.A.M. In the Philippines.
RIA is manufactured by Armscor in the Philippines.
__________________
Opinions are like buttholes, everybody has one, but they stink more than mine.

Last edited by Steam Boat; 06-21-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-21-2020, 03:53 PM
redcaddy51 redcaddy51 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 244
all righty then, I'm officially cornfused, both logo's appear on the gun I have.

As I said, I acquired it used, it does not bear any name "(fatboy" or "Warthog") so it could very well be just a parts gun, built to resemble one or the other.

I suppose a recoil spring from either company would work. It's a short barrel, compact, bushing less, double stack pistol with some bells and whistles that appeal to me, in an EDC, just want to get it back shooting again.

I have several springs that I pulled from other full size 1911's, If I had specs I could cut some coils off of a similar wire diameter spring, and experiment.
Right now, range time is hard to come by, I'm just trying to do some research to save a little time, and maybe, some parts.

Thanks for the reply,
Paul in da swamp
__________________
If it turns $$$ into smoke and noise, I'm there.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 06-21-2020, 07:15 PM
BrokenGrunt's Avatar
BrokenGrunt BrokenGrunt is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: East of Dallas
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcaddy51 View Post
all righty then, I'm officially cornfused, both logo's appear on the gun I have.

As I said, I acquired it used, it does not bear any name "(fatboy" or "Warthog") so it could very well be just a parts gun, built to resemble one or the other.

I suppose a recoil spring from either company would work. It's a short barrel, compact, bushing less, double stack pistol with some bells and whistles that appeal to me, in an EDC, just want to get it back shooting again.

I have several springs that I pulled from other full size 1911's, If I had specs I could cut some coils off of a similar wire diameter spring, and experiment.
Right now, range time is hard to come by, I'm just trying to do some research to save a little time, and maybe, some parts.

Thanks for the reply,
Paul in da swamp
How short is the barrel?

https://www.gunsprings.com/index.php

Just pick your Government = 5"
Commander = 4.25-4"
Officer's = 3.5"
__________________
Semper Fi till the day I die.

I'll meet you at Old North Bridge....where ever it might be.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-21-2020, 10:39 PM
Steam Boat Steam Boat is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,927
Can you post up some pictures so we can see what you have ?

The ATI “Fat Boy” is a 12 round double stack 3.2” barrel pistol, the frame is its own length, very similar to the older Para P12. But is cut differently.
__________________
Opinions are like buttholes, everybody has one, but they stink more than mine.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-22-2020, 06:08 AM
redcaddy51 redcaddy51 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 244
Here's some pics.

I'll file that last piece of opinion in the "DUH, why didn't I think of that" folder. Now I only have to choose from a dozen or so weights, piece of cake.

Thanks for the help.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190825_123358460.jpg   IMG_20190825_123237551.jpg   IMG_20190825_123317813_BURST000_COVER.jpg   IMG_20190825_123417310.jpg  
__________________
If it turns $$$ into smoke and noise, I'm there.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-22-2020, 03:55 PM
Steam Boat Steam Boat is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,927
Is there any markings on the frame other than serial number ?

What does the markings on the right side of the slide near the muzzle say ?
When I try to enlarge the pictures, it blurs. I think the second line says Philippines, but I cannot make out the top line.

The slide is a Armscor 3.5”.
Have you tried calling or emailing RIA/Armscor to see if they identify it ?
__________________
Opinions are like buttholes, everybody has one, but they stink more than mine.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-22-2020, 07:46 PM
redcaddy51 redcaddy51 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 244
It says: API Haywood CA. Philippines
__________________
If it turns $$$ into smoke and noise, I'm there.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-26-2020, 10:28 AM
Steam Boat Steam Boat is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcaddy51 View Post
It says: API Haywood CA. Philippines
Have you tried contacting RIA in Nevada with your SN to see if they can give you any information on your double stack 1911 ?

The “API Haywood CA.” Is throwing me for a loop. That may be an early importer of Armscor products before they went mainstream with the RIA branding.
__________________
Opinions are like buttholes, everybody has one, but they stink more than mine.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-26-2020, 10:46 AM
Steam Boat Steam Boat is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenGrunt View Post
How short is the barrel?

https://www.gunsprings.com/index.php

Just pick your Government = 5"
Commander = 4.25-4"
Officer's = 3.5"
In “Colt” terms you left out :

Long Slide = 6”
Defender = 3”

Other manufacturers use different terms such as :

Hard Baller = 7”
Long Slide/Hunter = 6”
Full Size (FS) = 5”
Compact size (CS) = 4 - 4.25”
Ultra Compact ((UC) = 3.5”
Micro Compact ((MC) = 3”
__________________
Opinions are like buttholes, everybody has one, but they stink more than mine.

Last edited by Steam Boat; 06-26-2020 at 10:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-27-2020, 06:18 AM
Viper_29 Viper_29 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcaddy51 View Post
It says: API Haywood CA. Philippines
That is just the importer
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-29-2020, 09:21 AM
Aguila Blanca Aguila Blanca is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: hemisfério norte
Posts: 45
Here's a review of an ATI Fatboy: https://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.p...-Fatboy-Review

The review has comparison photos against a Para P12.45. The ATI Fatboy doesn't have grip panels -- the magazine well walls ARE the grips, and the frame itself is serrated. Your pistol has what appear to be wood grip panels. I have no idea what it is. There are numerous smaller arms manufacturers in the Philippines, and it could have been made by any of them.
__________________
Aguila Blanca
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-29-2020, 09:29 AM
Aguila Blanca Aguila Blanca is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: hemisfério norte
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcaddy51 View Post
I suppose a recoil spring from either company would work. It's a short barrel, compact, bushing less, double stack pistol with some bells and whistles that appeal to me, in an EDC, just want to get it back shooting again.

I have several springs that I pulled from other full size 1911's, If I had specs I could cut some coils off of a similar wire diameter spring, and experiment.
Right now, range time is hard to come by, I'm just trying to do some research to save a little time, and maybe, some parts.
I don't think anyone has ever made a 1911 with a barrel shorter than 3-1/2" that uses a conventional, single recoil spring. The Colt Officers ACP (3-1/2" barrel) used a pair of nested recoil springs. The Early Para-Ordnance P12.45 (also a 3-1/2" barrel) used a recoil system similar to the Colt Officers ACP, but Para used a single spring. But in the early 2000s Para changed to used a dual spring "encapsulated" recoil spring assembly, such as used in the Colt Defender and most compact and subcompact 1911s today. The ATI Fatboy used such a recoil assembly:



Quote:
The “API Haywood CA.” Is throwing me for a loop. That may be an early importer of Armscor products before they went mainstream with the RIA branding.
I believe the U.S. Operation for Armscor calls itself Armscor Precision, International, and uses the API designator on the guns they import to the U.S. But Armscor Precision has been located in Pahrump, NV, for a good many years. I don't know if they were ever located in Haywood, CA.

Let's assume that the gun is a long-defunct Armscor model. You might get some information from the factory as to what recoil parts you need. I don't know if he might have retired, but try firing off an e-mail to Willie Lagundino. He has been very helpful to me in the past.

[email protected]

If you get a reply with any useful information, please be sure to post it here so we'll all know.
__________________
Aguila Blanca

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; 06-29-2020 at 09:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 PM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved