Any chance expanding the 1911 Sub-Forum... - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-30-2020, 03:40 PM

Any chance expanding the 1911 Sub-Forum...

...to include more semi-custom and full custom makers like: Alchemy Custom, Heirloom, Volkmann, Cabot, Yost, Chen, Harrison, etc.? Or simply creating a "1911 Semi-custom/Full custom makers forum? At least for me, some of these guys that I listed can sometimes get lost in the "other" sub forum-they deserve better. Doing so, my hope would be is that we'd hear more from these top tier makers and their owners so that members/guest could broaden and/or deepen their 1911 knowledge. You guys know way more than I do re the metrics on this forum and what it takes to make a request like this happen, but I thought I'd at least put it out there for your consideration. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

I appreciate the suggestion and have reported this to the staff for discussion. Thank you for thinking enough of this to bring it up for consideration. We will keep you informed of any decision or consensus.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 04-30-2020, 04:37 PM

Thanks and let me know if I can do anything to help.
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2020, 09:23 AM
Adminstrator

All they need to do is ask.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:29 PM
Administrator

I'm cool with a "semi/full custom" sub-forum. The only issue we face here on the forum is the fact that, not counting the custom makers there have been well over a hundred different manufacturers of the 1911 pistol over the past century (see list here), and if we gave everybody their own sub-forum you can imagine how long the main forum page would be. Therefore we have to separate them by the most well-known or prolific manufacturers first, and then separate sub-groups like USGI/vintage and "other".

LW my suggestion would be splitting off a new section from the manufacturers and put USGI/Vintage, Other Brands, and Semi/Full Custom guns in that new section. Just a thought.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:20 AM

dsk, I like that. Within the proposed, Semi/Full Custom section placing an "other" sub-forum here would make sense, and to LW's point, if some of the semi/full guys wanted to have their own sub forum within the proposed, Semi/Full Custom section, all they'd need to do is ask. As this idea evolves, "other" is not a bad thing especially when it is placed within the appropriate section like, "Semi/Full Custom" or "1911 Manufacturers"
Old 06-25-2020, 12:54 PM

There's no such thing as full custom.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlchemyCustom View Post
There's no such thing as full custom.
Interesting comment. Curious why you say that? I wonder if we have consensus here on the definition of "custom"?

NRA Life Member
Old 06-26-2020, 07:58 AM

Custom implies that you get every feature you want. That doesn't happen. You choose a custom builder for what they offer, they don't let you choose anything you want. If you could choose anything you wanted (in the realm of 1911 custom options) then you could call it custom. Here's my build list:

Frame with custom serial number (Jem or Caspian is fine)
Pete Single style High cut
Clark style Tiger tooth stippling
Raised rib slide with Elliason rear sight/Smith revolver style
Undercut plain front sight
Vertical wide cocking serrations on back of slide w/2 matching serration front
Install S&A ambi mag catch (will provide part)
Safari Arms Grip Safety
Mueschke Thumb safety (will provide)

See how complicated it can get...
Old 06-26-2020, 08:17 AM

I was looking forward to the new forum, I come here for the most part to read what Rob contributes.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Am I understanding correctly, that when someone hires you for a “custom” 1911 build, they have no other options on those 9 items on your build list?

NRA Life Member
Old 06-26-2020, 11:29 PM
Administrator

In my opinion there are so many "custom" 1911s out there that there really aren't any custom 1911s anymore, if you get my meaning.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:35 PM

I agree with Alchemy's comments about full custom.

Those master builders who are perceived by many as true full custom are familiar with certain source components and they're happy to build around those components they trust/have confidence in. But they're not so happy to build with components or a mix of components that they believe will be problematic and/or likely not result in a build they're proud to put their name on.

And this is probably mostly for the good, for the customer's benefit. I.e., if a master builder does not feel confident about a certain component, and prefers to work instead with what he has confidence in, I think that is usually a good thing for the customer. Even if the customer had some attachment to the specific component(s) the master builder might not desire to work with. After all, their reputation is on the line with every gun they build.

All of this aside, there's no question that a few builders come much closer to the concept of true full custom than other brethren builders.

And it's probably reasonable, as a practical matter, to continue to describe builders in this rarified segment as "full custom". If they're closer than anyone else to the puristic definition/interpretation, then they've probably earned the recognition as full custom.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 07-02-2020 at 01:49 PM.