Launched A Recoil Spring Plug Today - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-06-2020, 02:10 PM

Launched A Recoil Spring Plug Today

I was at the range and my slide locked up. I couldn't move it foreward or back. I thought taking the gun apart might help. I took the recoil spring plug and spring out, but that didn't help. I decided a case might be stuck in the barrel. I could cock the hammer and pull the trigger,so I wasn't worried about a live round. I used my squib rod and knocked the case out.

When I went to reassemble things, my finger slipped off the plug and I launched it like a Saturn rocket. Since I was outside in heavy grass, I did not find it. I thought maybe I got lucky and it landed on the blanket I put down to catch my brass, but no such luck.

I had a spare plug at home and installed it. Are all plugs interchangeable?
Old 08-06-2020, 02:19 PM

If it is a GI 5” (usual configuration), yes very interchangeable and easy to find. You can use a spent .45 brass case until you get a new one. For what they cost, buy a couple.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:37 PM

Another forum member here launched one in my garage, lost forever, right! I was able to lend him one for the next day's match.

Quite a few years later I was in the process of emptying the garage for a move. I was using a flashlight looking to see if anything was left "in the rafters"! Sitting upright in the middle of the garage on a rafter was the missing RSP!

Smiles,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2020, 03:57 PM

Ask the wife

I did a launch a while ago, got frustrated looking. Wife walked in, asked what I was doing, explained the problem. She said "I'ts on the windowsill", walked out.
Old 08-06-2020, 05:17 PM

Those little things can do funny things. I did order 2 new Wilsons, one stainless and one blue from Midway.
Old 08-06-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBag View Post
I did a launch a while ago, got frustrated looking. Wife walked in, asked what I was doing, explained the problem. She said "It's on the windowsill", walked out.
Good one!
Equal opportunity, not equal outcome.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:51 PM

This is a great PSA, I better order a few spares.

Launched my entire dual recoil spring a few months ago and it went between the slab and the wall. Had a bad back at the time, so didn’t retrieve it as it would have required some heavy moving. Waiting for dual springs to be available from Brownells again.