Kimber Custom II - Recommended New Gun Modifications and Upgrades - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-04-2020, 04:36 AM

Kimber Custom II - Recommended New Gun Modifications and Upgrades

Hi folks! New to the forum and about to join the ranks of Kimber owners, and actually, 1911 owners, as it will be my first 1911. Just waiting on its release, which I hope to get soon. What I got is a Kimber Custom II 45 ACP (Two Tone).

Just a quick question, what are some of the best value or recommended initial modifications or upgrades that one can look at? I don't intend to turn it into a race gun for competition, it's also not a primary home defense pistol, but more of a range gun and really to be able to get a 1911 into my collection and start my journey into its world (or blackhole).

What I've decided on so far are (and already bought):

1) Steel Mainspring Housing - I have already ordered an Ed Brown Flat 25 LPI Stainless one.
2) Magazines - Was able to get Wilson Combat ETM 8 rounders. Technically not a modification or upgrade, but. It's there.

Any other recommendations? Sights I assume? What about the much debated "MIM" parts (which I think are fine) -- would there be some specific ones that would be good value replacements?

Would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks a ton!
Old 08-04-2020, 06:03 AM

leave it alone and spend the money on ammo. It will tell you what it needs, if anything, after a lot of shooting.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:53 AM

I recently sold the exact same pistol to a friend of mine. I purchased it in 2019 during a pre-black Friday sale for a price I just could not pass up. I had planned on doing the same as you, change this, change that seeing as how the price was so low I figured why not I wouldn't be out all that much money if it didn't work out. I really had only one gripe about it. I had to either change my strong had grip slightly or really put a death grip on it in order to get the grip safety to work properly. Wasn't really a big deal but I found at times it was annoying. A very accurate pistol and I really enjoyed shooting for. Personally I would recommend just shooting it for a while before changing anything. I honestly never had a failure and had well over 1000 rounds through it before I sold it. If I still had it right now I think I would change the grips, which are really thicker than my Sig or Dan Wesson's. That way I could have a more consistent grip without changing from one pistol to another. Enjoy it, I'm confident that you'll find it to be a keeper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2020, 02:26 PM

Number one thing I would do is swap out the Series 80 firing pin stop to a Series 70 FPS.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:11 PM

Get some O rings for your grip screws or you’ll be tighten them every range session. Keep a close eye on your ejector. I had to do a temp fix cause mine became extremely loose. I’ll put a Wilson ejector when it works it’s way loose again. I Also had to install a Wilson bulletproof slide stop in mine. I was getting premature slide locks it’s 2 Kimber slide stops, even after I modified one twice. Besides that it should serve ya well.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QJI26 View Post
Number one thing I would do is swap out the Series 80 firing pin stop to a Series 70 FPS.
Would you have a specific link or recommendation to one? I assume these would be drop in regardless if the Kimber Custom II is a Swartz system (neither 70 or 80)? Or would there be other parts I need to replace to swap that out?

Appreciate the replies everyone!
Old 08-05-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjportwood View Post
Get some O rings for your grip screws or youíll be tighten them every range session. Keep a close eye on your ejector. I had to do a temp fix cause mine became extremely loose. Iíll put a Wilson ejector when it works itís way loose again. I Also had to install a Wilson bulletproof slide stop in mine. I was getting premature slide locks itís 2 Kimber slide stops, even after I modified one twice. Besides that it should serve ya well.
Thanks, I guess the VZ grip O-rings should fit regardless. I'll look for a slide stop. I think this is also one of those MIM parts. Appreciate the reply!
Old 08-05-2020, 07:22 PM

A lot of people, including myself, like to fit an oversized flat bottom FPS like this one from EGW. https://www.egwguns.com/oversized-fi...70-45-acp-blue

They also make a drop in FPS that should not need much, if any fitting at all.
https://www.egwguns.com/drop-in-firi...70-45-acp-blue

Wilson Combat and other makers of quality 1911 parts also make FPS that will work just fine as well.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:06 AM

The first thing to do is shoot it to see if it works, if it does, then a trigger job if necessary, it may have a 2# trigger or a 7# trigger. Does it hit point of aim? Mine shot way low, I had to file the front down to zero it. Replaced the Sear spring with a Colt spring, brought it down to about 3-1/2# pull. I haven't changed anything else. The Swartz firing pin safety does not affect trigger pull so don't worry about that. As for MIM parts, I don't worry about them, I haven't had a MIM part fail to this date. I had to dimple the slide stop, it would lock back on the next to last round about half the time. It is a good gun after working through the initial problems. Plastic MSH is still OK. Pretty good shooter.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:40 PM

Mine was purchased several years ago when a FLA dealer had 21 for sale at $599!

The best out of the box 1911 EVER! (I have 14 top of the line famous name 1911's that I've been shooting for over 50 years!)

Shoots to point of aim, never a stoppage, perfect fit and finish! The only change was to rubber grip panels to improve my grip and protect the original beautiful "rosewood" panels. This change will make it your own, I get that!

Spend you money on ammo and shoot more!

Smiles,

P.S.: The "plastic" MSH is low stress and not necessary to replace.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:34 PM

I never felt that any modification was necessary on my Kimber Stainless Target II in 9mm, but I'm kind of a tinkerer and just couldn't leave well enough alone. I have added a set of G10 laminate grips, a target grade sear spring, a one piece Smith & Alexander steel mainspring housing and mag-well. I just like to personalize my 1911 pistols. Only thing is, don't expect to recoup the money spent on these add-ons when you decide to sell your pistol.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:25 AM

Thanks a ton for all the replies so far. Just makes me itch to finally get the firearm. All the tips and advice are well noted. Agree, part of it is looking at "musts" but also scratching the "tinkerer itch", since as mentioned, it's not a primary defense gun but really a "fill the collection" piece that I also wanted to play with, also as my first foray into the world of 1911s. Again, I appreciate all of you. Keep them coming!
Old 08-07-2020, 10:45 AM

Got my first Kimber from a relative. It was in excellent condition except for the one magazine that came with it, and I had various feeding problems. Bought first just one Kimber KimPro Tac-Mag and it worked so well I bought two more. Then tried them in a Para and they performed faultlessly there also, so I bought three more for it. Fantastic performance.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:46 AM

If it works as-is just shoot it. One thing I believe strongly it should be checked for is the Series II issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvptEIw-6QQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mXWGRbjUww&t=3s
Old 09-26-2020, 12:18 AM

Pick up a set of Challis grip screw bushings. They stay solid in the frame, and if you need to replace them, they are much easier to remove. If and when you need to replace any of the fire control parts, Wilson Combat Bullet Proof parts are hard to beat. Their flat wire recoil springs are very good as well. As to magazines, KimPro Tac mags and Wilsons are the only ones I use, and I've never had a failure. Good luck.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QJI26 View Post
A lot of people, including myself, like to fit an oversized flat bottom FPS like this one from EGW. https://www.egwguns.com/oversized-fi...70-45-acp-blue

They also make a drop in FPS that should not need much, if any fitting at all.
https://www.egwguns.com/drop-in-firi...70-45-acp-blue

Wilson Combat and other makers of quality 1911 parts also make FPS that will work just fine as well.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:27 AM

If it is going to be a ccw gun I would put good day /night sights.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glider View Post
leave it alone and spend the money on ammo. It will tell you what it needs, if anything, after a lot of shooting.
Welcome to Kimber!
Above is what I'd do also!
Old 09-27-2020, 05:06 PM

Unless there is a problem leave it alone and shoot it a lot. If you want to do something with it put some stag grips on it or what ever you like. There is only one way you are going to get very good with that pistol and that isn't from spending money on parts, it will be from shooting a lot.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glider View Post
This is the best advise that could be given. Shoot it, go through several boxes of ammo.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:37 PM

I'm afraid I don't understand why it's necessary to modify a brand new pistol you don't even have yet. What if it's perfect as-is?

Any modification I make to a pistol is for a purpose. I shoot three white dot sights on all my pistols, and put adjustable rear sights on them all. So, if a pistol doesn't come standard with these sights, I will put them on because it's what I prefer. That really is typically all I'll do UNLESS the pistol is not reliable. They I may replace substandard parts or poorly fitted parts with quality new ones.

I'd suggest you get the pistol and shoot it for a while first. If the sights don't suit you, change them. If the grips are too thick, or too slick, or too whatever, change them. If it has failures to feed or eject, you may need to replace some parts. But I'd wait until I had the pistol to determine what, if anything, needed changed out.
Old Yesterday, 03:04 AM

I replaced the flgr with the GI type and plug. On a TLE 2
Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM

I'm a big fan of the Custom II; it was my first 1911 in 2008. As others said, shoot the snot out of it and react to issues or preferences that you discover. I replaced the guide rod/plug with a short GI configuration, but that isn't necessary. You can still disassemble the gun without tools; just use your magazine basepad to depress the open plug before turning the bushing. I kept the plastic mainspring housing until I managed to bang it up; I replaced it then. The new 2-tones come with fiber optic sights, right? Sight replacement can be a bear on Kimbers; reach out to a gunsmith unless you feel confident in your stubborn-sight-replacing skills. I'm still running with the original firing pin stop, extractor, slide stop, and ignition kit.