New CQB - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-31-2020, 09:33 AM

New CQB

Got a New Wilson CQB. Upgrades were Ryan Wilson High Grip mod, Lightrail, top of slide serrations, Checkered rear of slide, recessed slide stop, chamfer bottom of slide, flush/reverse crown barrel. Ordered pre Covids, and took it home from MD jail on Tuesday and got to the range yesterday. Took 300 rounds with me, 150 Fed American Eagle and 150 Winchester. I got about 200rounds down range flawlessly. Next mag i noticed the slide getting sluggish, added some lube to rails and barrel points as recommended. Next mag had the slide fail to go into battery... but it was sticking almost as far as a lockback on last round. The ranges here are by appointment only and limited to 1 hour due to the covids regulations. So i packed up and headed home. Wasnt planning on taking it apart until the recommended 500 rounds, but having issues i had to at 214 rounds. Upon inspection, the Shok-buff was clearly the culprit. I have used them in other guns with far more rounds before replacement and have never had a failure due to one. Ill be heading back in the next few days to get some more rounds down range sans shok-buff for now.
Attached Thumbnails
load.jpg   Range.jpg   buff.jpg   torn.jpg  
Old 07-31-2020, 09:40 AM

The shok-buff is just another point of potential failure. The shok-buff is optional. Reassemble the gun without shok-buff, go to range, problem solved.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

If your gun doesn't run well with Shok Buffs, ditch them. I only run SB's at the range, don't run them with carry. They get beat up pretty quick with 230 gr. ball - I only get about 300 or 400 rounds with them when shooting 230 gr. loads.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2020, 10:30 AM

I run shock buffs in my 5” guns without any issues. You could try a new one and see what happens in case that individual buff was the problem or just shoot it without one. Certainly not required.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 07-31-2020, 04:10 PM

Don’t scare us like that. I just put 500.00 down on Monday for my first CQB build... From what I’ve seen on the web, these SB seem to be in pretty good condition after 500-1K rounds. That one of yours looks like it’s had a few thousand through it.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:29 PM

I would leave it out.

Nice upgrades on the CQB, Enjoy!
Old 08-01-2020, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjportwood View Post
Don’t scare us like that. I just put 500.00 down on Monday for my first CQB build... From what I’ve seen on the web, these SB seem to be in pretty good condition after 500-1K rounds. That one of yours looks like it’s had a few thousand through it.
I don’t think it’s anything to be scared of... just an optional plastic part in a area subject to wear and extreme conditions. I was running it pretty fast since they have strict time limits maybe she got a little warm and that sped up the buff failure.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:33 AM

What Grandpa said is correct.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
Weapon capacity is important for those planning to miss a lot.--Bruce Nelson
Old 08-01-2020, 01:31 PM

I really thought Wilson had ditched the Shock Buffs. I'd toss it in the garbage, those things cause far more problems than they solve.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:40 PM

Side question MD, what mag pouches are those on the front of your plate carrier?
Old 08-01-2020, 02:48 PM

When I got my first Wilson, I went to the range and the shok buff failed after just 50 rounds. No more of those in my guns.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnchair 04 View Post
Side question MD, what mag pouches are those on the front of your plate carrier?
ESSTAC, good guys Making high quality ish. May poke fun at you for running in single stack but all in good fun.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:00 PM

I run them on mine, because my 1911s are all range guns and I don't compete. They seem to go over 400 rounds (the rounds fired in past classes). If it was a carry gun or home defense gun, I might rethink using them.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:07 PM

Got back to the range today to finish my break in. Shot the remaining Winchester flat nose FMJ, some more ball and my own reloads with 230gr. HAP. Not a single issue to be found. Think i am just going to throw a flatwire spring in there and not mess with the shock-buffs. Certainly happy to have everything run fine after an easily identifiable culprit.
Attached Thumbnails
range trip.jpg  
Old 08-06-2020, 04:49 PM

Glad to hear all went well. Nice targets, too.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 08-06-2020, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Nice job on the targets. Although you will get differing opinions on the flatwire spring, most of mine, even the full size, have that set-up. My first Wilson, a CQB, has the GI guide rod and plug with flatwire recoil spring and does very well. Some others have FLGR with reverse plug and flatwire, and all my pro's have flatwire with FLGR's; I prefer them. They do seem to change the recoil impulse, and others claim they make a noise racking the slide (my old man ears can't hear that, so it doesn't bother me). All my remaining Kimbers have been converted to flatwire RCS as well. IME, the flatwire RCS outlast the round wire RCS, by about double and a half number of rounds (in .45). It is an easy change to make, and if you don't like it, you can always change back. With the flatwire RCS, the Shok-Buff lasts longer than with the round wire, but only by a hundred or two rounds. Range use: use them if round count is under 350, then clean and throw away; SD use: don't use them. JMHO.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 08-07-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
If your gun doesn't run well with Shok Buffs, ditch them. I only run SB's at the range, don't run them with carry. They get beat up pretty quick with 230 gr. ball - I only get about 300 or 400 rounds with them when shooting 230 gr. loads.
This has been my experience as well. I simply donít run my guns with them.

--Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-08-2020, 05:06 PM

Having a brand new toy to enjoy during an unprecedented ammo shortage kinda sucks. “Luckily” the ranges here are by appt only and are limiting us to 1hr. Per visit so I can’t burn through it too fast. The Had to bit the bullet (literally). No reloading components to be found... so I got some Wilson Ammo. I think it’s going to be close to my load of 7.2gr of HS-6/230gr. HAP. Also got a 2nd box of goodies from Wilson I wasn’t expecting. Someone else’s whole order with M9 mags, Streamlight, mag pouch’s and a few other items. Not sure how it wound up here with the ammo, but looks like I need to call Wilson on Monday to get that stuff the rightful owner.
Attached Thumbnails
4BA39F6B-E4E6-4EB5-A7FE-BC03637C9983_1596924370395.jpeg