Thanks again to those who dont like 40 and 357sig - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-28-2020, 12:08 PM

Thanks again to those who dont like 40 and 357sig

Yes, ammo is getting more expensive. 9mm and 556 are hard to find for any reasonable price. 45 was around but not for a good price. So, what about the red-headed step children: 40s&w and even more so 357sig.

Locally in Michigan, i just grabbed $90 in 357sig FMJ and Speer GDHP for like $30. About to order some 40s&w online for nice price. I dont even "need" it, but its nice to get some more. Its clear to me people are not really interested in these calibers if they own a 9mm or 45. Maybe they sold the 40 they owned or never wanted a 357sig. Seems like a good...no make that GREAT...time to own one of these. My M&P 40 has a storm lake 357sig barrel; its a nice and useful combination.

Please, let the comments commence!
Old 07-28-2020, 12:48 PM

So, is that the case for any 40 to 357 Sig? A barrel change?
Old 07-28-2020, 01:29 PM

I have a gen 3 Glock 32 (357 Sig) and a Glock 23 plus a extra 357 Sig barrel for the 23.
The Glock 23 works great with the 357 Sig barrel, I either use 357 Sig mags or swap the mag followers in 40 mags, have not tried it with unaltered 40 mags.
From the 4'' barrel and 357 Sig I get about 1,350 fps or a bit more with 125 gr.
Yea, I'm glad 40 and 357 Sig were not wiped out as fast as 9mm.
Was able to get a bit more FMJ 40 S&W for .36-.38 round and .40 cents round for the 357 Sig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2020, 01:35 PM

I’ve got three pistols in 40 and three in 357 Sig. In total, that represents only four pistols. Really like those two for one combos.

"That which you come by too easily, you value too lightly."
Old 07-28-2020, 02:32 PM
Adminstrator

While the .40 and .357SIG may not be "in vogue" currently, they remain excellent rounds.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:59 PM

Love those rounds, especially from Underwood!
Old 07-28-2020, 03:33 PM

I really like 40S&W. Haven't got around to buying a 357SIG barrel yet but I will. I may need to get a Sig 1911 to get a 40 S&W 1911. I don't think D.W. or Kimber make a 40. I had an EMP in 40, first and last Springfield for me.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:36 PM

I wanted to start experimenting with higher power 357sig offering, but i only got my storm lake barrel a month ago. Right now building up mostly FMJ and some Gold Dots. Yes, there are better HPs for the 357sig, but according to LuckyGunner labs results, its no slouch.

In any event, im pleased to have options. Options are good.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:38 PM
Administrator

The guys who own 6.5 Creedmoor rifles are apparently still in luck. That's pretty much the only caliber still readily available on the shelves of the closest Cabelas. As far as pistol ammo goes, .25ACP can still occasionally be found. Good to know that if all else fails I can still rely on my Browning Baby to ward off crowds of violent protesters.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:31 PM

Stock-up on everything you need (not just ammo).

If there's one lesson to be learned from this year, it is to be prepared; don't presume continuity of supply with anything of importance (to yourself). Don't even rely on expecting to find whatever might be the "flavor that's left".

If one does this, short-term shortages won't be such a concern.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 07-28-2020 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:38 PM

Haven’t purchased ammo in years, can’t remember the last time. When I want more I just go to the reloading bench and pull the lever.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:40 PM

I've owned more than one gun in each of the calibers you mention. Not a thing wrong with either, but my interests are elsewhere. Glad you were able to get deals on the cartridges you prefer.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:40 PM

Whenever I can't find anything else I always seem to be able to round up a box or two of 40. I actually have enough of everything for now except .380. I got a S&W 380 EZ for a female family member recently. I should have known not to get into a caliber I wasn't already using during this mess.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:14 PM

I picked up a gently used 1st gen M&P in .40 recently. I was pleasantly surprised to find ammunition readily available. I'm half scared to look now, it's been a month since I last scrounged around to see what was available in terms of ammo.

It's an awful time to be looking at a new platform or running low on supplies, that's for certain. I'm kinda glad I had enough freedom seeds for the other freedom dispensers in the stable.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:08 PM

Clearly I fall under the “should have purchased earlier” category, but alas here i am grateful to be able to find something.

I too was thinking about a new caliber; a 10mm, and though still interesting, it would be more of an obstacle than entertainment right now.

Dsk, your comment about rifle calibers is a great point. I need to look past my large caliber rifles and 556. Hmm, maybe a fall project gun....
Old 07-28-2020, 10:51 PM

If you have gun(s) in 40/357sig and are just now buying ammo... then I guess it's good you shoot those calibers.

That's like waiting until the car dies to think about stopping for gas... we coasted into the pumps a few times in high school but we also had to push a time or two. Would have been smarter to buy this year's ammo last year... or at least keep a small inventory.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Just FYI not all of us have sufficient discretionary income (or a low enough balance on our credit cards) to have stockpiled thousands of rounds of ammo. Like many people I buy it a little at a time, as I can afford it. I usually buy at a rate commensurate with the rate that I expend it. When ammo is dirt cheap or I have a little more spending money the stockpile goes up slightly. During times like these it usually dwindles a bit. The problem I'm having (as with everyone else) is that the supply dried up months ago and I'm not able to find more to replace whatever I shoot up. I guess it's a bummer I wasn't spending enough money on ammo a year ago when it was plentiful and cheap, but at the time there were higher priorities.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:46 PM

Hah, I went in Sportsman's Warehouse for the first time since this started and the shelves of ammo were all bare and the only thing I saw was two twenty rounds boxes of 357Sig
Old 07-29-2020, 05:03 AM

I don’t even see that at our Sportsmans. Picked cleaner than the toilet paper isle in spring 2020. I reloaded and stock piled back before I was forced into an early retirement. I’ve had to resort to very little shooting with real guns and more with pellet and airsoft. I can’t run so no shooting sports.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:24 AM

My siggy blew up. Corbon, the ammo that blew it up says it was barrel failure but they refuse to send my gun back. This happened in Dec. Not only the firearm but also three boxes of ammo less two rounds. Still think Sig is a good round just not Corbon.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Just FYI not all of us have sufficient discretionary income (or a low enough balance on our credit cards) to have stockpiled thousands of rounds of ammo. Like many people I buy it a little at a time, as I can afford it. I usually buy at a rate commensurate with the rate that I expend it. When ammo is dirt cheap or I have a little more spending money the stockpile goes up slightly. During times like these it usually dwindles a bit. The problem I'm having (as with everyone else) is that the supply dried up months ago and I'm not able to find more to replace whatever I shoot up. I guess it's a bummer I wasn't spending enough money on ammo a year ago when it was plentiful and cheap, but at the time there were higher priorities.
True enough. I didn't realize it until recently, but it had been years since I last went to a range. The funds and time just weren't available until recently. In no small part because of the way I used credit cards when I was younger. If I knew then what I know now that would be an entirely different situation. But I can say that about a lot of things.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Just FYI not all of us have sufficient discretionary income (or a low enough balance on our credit cards) to have stockpiled thousands of rounds of ammo. Like many people I buy it a little at a time, as I can afford it. I usually buy at a rate commensurate with the rate that I expend it.
Oh, trust me,I get it. I was in that camp for a long time. Went through "Financial Peace" and spent years turning things around.

The key [regardless of your income] is to buy at a rate that exceeds your consumption.

*edited to add: there are seasons in life where your priorities have to be on other things.. I understand that all too well and didn't mean to come across as condescending, if it reads that way.

Last edited by flechero; 07-29-2020 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flechero View Post
Oh, trust me,I get it. I was in that camp for a long time. Went through "Financial Peace" and spent years turning things around.

The key [regardless of your income] is to buy at a rate that exceeds your consumption.

*edited to add: there are seasons in life where your priorities have to be on other things.. I understand that all too well and didn't mean to come across as condescending, if it reads that way.
I was broke until all the kids moved out. Now I'm at "financial peace" as well. From 95 to 08 I only owned 1 gun.

The key to stocking up is to have a budget. Set aside a little bit each month and then buy in bulk. My gun fund is paid like any other bill except it is paid last and if the funds are not there then so be it.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:13 AM

I never gave up on the .40 despite PD's going back to the 9. I have .40 slides and mags for all of my Beretta, Tanfoglio and 1911's.

No shortage of my reloaded ammo here in .40 or brass and bullets but down here, 9mm FMJ is now $40 and PD ammo is through the roof.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:42 AM

Your point is not lost on any of us. Similar to dsk, I try to keep my monthly expenditures low, so I buy here and there. It would be nice to be able to stock up a few Thousand rounds.

If the world ends today, I might be short. If this is a year or two, I’m gonna be ok.