1911Forum banner

Hi, new user here.

614 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Old Grumpy 
#1 ·
How is it going, I am a student looking to buy a 1911.
I have been around guns my whole life and this would be my first hand gun.
I have never been around 1911s and I want to find out a little about them before I spend any money on one. If this is the wrong place please let me know.
There are few questions that I have about 1911s.
1. How much does it cost to maintain a 1911, ammo, parts, and other.
2. Is the 1911 something that I could pass on to my kids when I am older.
3. is the 1911 a good home protection gun or would i be better off with different type of gun? I am moving to the big city and i want a realable hand gun in case of a home invasion. Do they jam or have problems firing.
That is all i can think of for now. Thanks for any input folks.
~Huberd

#2 ·
How is it going, I am a student looking to buy a 1911.
I have been around guns my whole life and this would be my first hand gun.
I have never been around 1911s and I want to find out a little about them before I spend any money on one. If this is the wrong place please let me know.
There are few questions that I have about 1911s.
1. How much does it cost to maintain a 1911, ammo, parts, and other.
It costs no more to maintain a 1911 than it does any other pistol. Cleaning supplies and ammo. Ammunition for the .45acp is widely available and costs no more than many other popular calibers. Unless you wish to start changing parts (up-grades) I seriously doubt you will ever need to replace anything. If you shoot a lot you might need to replace some of the springs but they are very reasonable.
2. Is the 1911 something that I could pass on to my kids when I am older.
A 1911 would be a great firearm to pass along. The design has been around since 1911 and thousands, tens of thousands have been passed along. A quality 1911 properly maintained will be around for your grandkids.
3. is the 1911 a good home protection gun or would i be better off with different type of gun? I am moving to the big city and i want a realable hand gun in case of a home invasion. Do they jam or have problems firing.
That is all i can think of for now. Thanks for any input folks.
The US Military sent our armed forces into several wars with the 1911 on their sides. It is easy to handle and packs one heck of a punch. With quality ammunition the 1911 is as dependable as any weapon on the market. If you use factory ammunition their great, if you reload and know what to do they are fantastic.
~Huberd
IMHO a 1911 would be the only SD weapon I'd have if I were to have only one.
Welcome to the forum,

Grumpy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.