Appendix carry DW 1911 Vigil CCO 45acp? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-09-2019, 09:32 PM

Appendix carry DW 1911 Vigil CCO 45acp?

Like to hear from anyone their experience, carrying a DW 1911 CCO appendix carry. Kydex, leather, hybrid holster? What were the pros and cons? Thanks.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:59 PM

The pro is that if you train to use it properly including handling it, you will perhaps like it.

The con is that if you just strap it on and just carry it especially in the appendix carry, you could become penisless or even dead and you won't like it.

You need to figure out your own pros and cons.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:18 AM

Not a DW but I sometimes carry my Wilson 5" at appendix in JMCustom AIWB-WC rig. Conceals great in that rig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2019, 03:18 AM

Iíve seen the devastation a .45 HST+P round did to a leg and femur bone with a contact shot. The round missed the femoral artery but the damage was massive.

IMO, apex carry is the most dangerous way to carry a gun. #2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.

I hope youíre able to recognize a dangerous situation long before you need a fast draw to engage multiple threats. The idea is to avoid those situations or tactically retreat with your gun covering your exit.

My $.02
Old 08-10-2019, 05:12 AM

I made my own deep conceal, IWB "Appendix Carry" holster, from
a "Uncle Mike's" nylon paddle holster and 2" nylon webbing. The
top (butt) of the gun rides below the top of my belt, to the right
of my "Johnson", and wearing an un-tucked t-shirt you see no
printing or bulge. I carry it with one chambered, at half-cock
and It's comfortable to wear all day and it's a 1 - 1.5 second
draw / cock / fire. I'm going to"refine" my design a little, but
it works quite well. The gun is a Colt 3" .45 ACP Defender.

Old 08-10-2019, 12:22 PM

I prefer Keepers Concealment for all my AIWB. I have others from Dale Fricke, JM Custom, 5.11/Bladetech, Comp-Tac and more. The Keepers is more expensive, but worth it to me. YMMV.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:34 PM

Not sure what exactly your question is about, merits of AIWB, or CCO, or both.
If this is about AIWB, then I'd recommend searching around, there are multi-page threads. Prepare to hear how terribly dangerous AIWB is from people who never carried that way.
If this is about CCO, it is probably the best size for this mode, barrel is not too long to poke but long enough to keep gun stable. I personally recommend ambi thumb safety and ingraining a habit of actively keeping it engaged with trigger finger when holstering.
If this is about holsters, I recommend designs with thumb safety ledges that prevent it from dislodging once gun is seated; Keeper, JMCK on kydex side and Invictus and JR Custom on leather side can do that.
No amount of money in the world will make carry anything AIWB in a soft nylon stuff unless combined with a kydex trigger cover guard.
If you are a new ccw user, I would not recommend AIWB. Good luck.

Last edited by YVK; 08-10-2019 at 04:54 PM.