1911 and backup?? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-07-2018, 12:48 PM

1911 and backup??

If you carry a 1911 as a primary, do you carry a backup gun that is also 1911 style? Or if you carry a 1911 will you carry something like a snubby 38, glock 43?

What do the experts think?
George MacDonald
Old 11-07-2018, 12:59 PM

Yep

When circumstances warrant, Baer TRS on the belt and Colt's Wiley Clapp Government in an old Bianchi vertical shoulder holster (driving). Or the TRS or Colt on the belt, and a Baer Stinger on the belt left side.

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association
Old 11-07-2018, 01:22 PM

No, but I carry 5-6 eight round magazines.

I live in the country, so if I am in my truck I most likely also have a rifle or shotgun handy also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2018, 01:29 PM

Carrying 1 gun is already a PITA. The odds of me needing that gun are already infintesiminally small. The odds of me needing a BUG are another order of magnitude smaller.

I'm only mildly paranoid, but I'm not delusional. A cost/risk/reward analysis says nah Bubba nah. Ergo, carrying a 2nd gun ain't gonna happen.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:50 PM

I'm with TRSOtto.

If I thought I was going to need more than my Sig's capacity, I'd carry another magazine, not another gun.

Because it's just too big a stretch that not only will I need a giant heap of rounds, but that my gun is going to break too.

If I was a cop or soldier, yes. As me, no.

Here's another way to look at it. I've read Armed Citizen in American Rifleman for years & years. How many incidents have involved the Citizen drawing a second gun?

I don't recall any.

I also regularly drive, at great risk, with only ONE spare tire per vehicle.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:57 PM

Just bring a spare mag, it's faster anyway.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 11-07-2018, 02:55 PM

Maybe it's more of a "where you live" kinda thing. Mexican border vs other places

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association
Old 11-07-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Carrying 1 gun is already a PITA. The odds of me needing that gun are already infintesiminally small. The odds of me needing a BUG are another order of magnitude smaller.

I'm only mildly paranoid, but I'm not delusional. A cost/risk/reward analysis says nah Bubba nah. Ergo, carrying a 2nd gun ain't gonna happen.
Agreed....1911 and nothing else required.
Philippians 4:13
Old 11-07-2018, 03:37 PM

My thinking on this is the same as TRSOtto, magazineman, Striker, and AZ Desertrat.

It's not needed. Countless other risks are a greater concern.

However, I well understand that for those having LEO, security, military, etc., roles, the circumstances are likely different.

Each person should evaluate their own circumstances; and these can vary widely.

In the wilderness (adventure excursions), I often prefer to carry both a rifle and a handgun (.375 H&H and a 10mm 1911).

I suppose if someone didn't trust their primary firearm, they would have good reason to carry a BUG. But for me personally, I prefer to carry one quality/proven firearm that I do trust.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 11-07-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:54 PM

For the forty years that I was an LEO, I always carried two guns. Have not done that since I retired and I guess if I was going some place that I felt I needed two, I just wouldn’t go there. I do always carry one or two extra magazines on me.

Obviously a personal choice and if you think you need two or feel better carrying two, go for it.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 11-07-2018, 03:59 PM

Let me add I do carry a 2nd gun when I wear a coat but it's only along as a "handout" weapon for someone with me who doesn't have their own gun if something comes up. I can't imagine it would be a survivable situation if I run my main dry and then have to actually use the spare gun since the draw alone is like 5 seconds or something stupid like that.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 11-07-2018, 04:20 PM

Seems to me like this multiple mags/ guns thing is based on one or both of these hypothetical scenarios:

1. Your primary breaks & cannot be cleared. Unlikely but at least plausible.

2. Attacker / attackers (that have guns) who keep advancing under fire. Possible, sure. But PLAUSIBLE? outside of Hollywood, Not really.

Hey, I like a drama/shoot'em up film as much as the next guy. But 'cmon.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:29 PM

^^^^^

3) Or you shoot at a snake with your carry gun. Reload with your extra mag., get on about your business with a full gun.

4) Or you shoot at a couple of feral hogs with your carry gun. Reload with your extra magazine, get on about your business with a full gun.

5) Or...skunks.

6) Or... coyotes.

Etc., etc.

There are many reasons to carry extra magazines besides a Hollywood shootout.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinTXAggie View Post
^^^^^

3) Or you shoot at a snake with your carry gun. Reload with your extra mag., get on about your business with a full gun.

4) Or you shoot at a couple of feral hogs with your carry gun. Reload with your extra magazine, get on about your business with a full gun.

5) Or...skunks.

6) Or... coyotes.

Etc., etc.

There are many reasons to carry extra magazines besides a Hollywood shootout.
With a big smile

I'll bet these critters get a real blast when they see you coming their way.

+1911

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 11-07-2018, 04:56 PM

I carry a 1911cmd owb with 2 spare mags. lcp in pocket with spare mag 5 shot snubby on the ankle. AR in the trunk with 6 mags. Think I'm covered. LOL just kidding

Actually most times it is either the lcp in the pocket or a lcr 357 owb. Now if I know I will be traveling to a bad area then I will take some more hardware.

I have had my ccw for about 20 years and have not gotten into any gun fights.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRaven View Post

What do the experts think?

don't know what the experts think
But I think it's overkill for the average guy that isn't fighting crime or committing it

..L.T.A.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:17 PM

FightinTXAggie--------- Yes, I agree with you. I was speaking of a self-defense CCW in an urban / well populated suburban area.

Not farm/ranch / rural areas. Guns in those places have roles way beyond those here in Starbucks & Joggers Land.

The only hogs around here are Harleys. Carry on, Brother.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:20 PM

Generally I carry my 1911 on the hip with 2 mags in my pocket. I also have P229 by my right knee on a magnet holder (easier to access while in the truck). Alabama is a little more relaxed on gun laws and you never know when a wild Bubba may want to stomp yo ass. I'm 69 and I can't fight fair anymore.
God is on the side of the best shots.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:21 PM

Last month there was a double murder at a rural home in Wisconsin not far from where I am. Two adults, husband and wife killed. Front door shot open, young daughter missing despite large organized searches by thousands of volunteers.

Evil and violence are everyday happenings, if you live in denial of this fact then so be it.

I will live with the discomfort of carrying a 1911 and extra magazines because of that fact.

If you think "it can't happen to me" I hope you are right, as for me I will keep my head on a swivel and my 1911 cocked, locked and ready to rock.

My family depends on me to do so.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:22 PM

Good point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt191145 View Post
Last month there was a double murder at a rural home in Wisconsin not far from where I am. Two adults, husband and wife killed. Front door shot open, young daughter missing despite large organized searches by thousands of volunteers.

Evil and violence are everyday happenings, if you live in denial of this fact then so be it.

I will live with the discomfort of carrying a 1911 and extra magazines because of that fact.

If you think "it can't happen to me" I hope you are right, as for me I will keep my head on a swivel and my 1911 cocked, locked and ready to rock.

My family depends on me to do so.
The chances of it happening at any given time and place are akin to the chances of a lightning strike... but when/if it happens to you and yours, you are no longer playing the odds, but living the moment.

Those that endure the discomfort and Pain in the A$$ of preparedness stand a much better chance of telling the story. Those that think it is so remote as to never happen may have their story told by others.

It won’t bother me a bit if all my friends stand around my grave, when I die at 95 years, and say “That stupid ba****d carried every day, and died of eating too much red meat! Now we get to split up his gun collection!”. Sure beats the local news report...”Local man murdered, wife and daughter raped, in a bizarre home invasion”.

It is fairly easy to carry a gun (fairly easy to carry several guns, too), and I like guns a LOT. I enjoy having them around. In my trucks, in my pockets, in my desk, my ATVs/UTVs, nightstand, kitchen cabinets, wherever...I use them literally daily. It is simply a choice, an easy one for me, and not necessarily based on the probability of an attack on my person, or my family.

Everyone should make their own choices, however. When I die, my friends all get to pick a gun out of my collection ( I am not a collector, but a ‘user’, with a lot of nice choices to choose from). My wife can then keep or sell the rest. But, they will all have some honest wear on them, and some stories to reminisce on.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:40 PM

yes, sorta. My primary, and only, 98% of the time is my 938 and a spare mag. So 15 rounds of Gold Dots. Easy to carry, so I do. If DW comes out with a micro, I'll probably switch!
Old 11-07-2018, 07:42 PM

Well, nowadays, I simply do not go to those places where I may need more than one gun. When I did police work I carried a BUG and a shotgun too. Since I quit doing that I went to just carrying one gun. But maybe someone else has to carry more than one though. I figure if I try and avoid getting into places where I might get in trouble, then there is less chance of something happening. It is sort of a sad commentary on life when you have to do stuff like that. But now I am old and a primary target for criminals.

Heck I do not like going out after dark anymore either. We did go out to an election watch party last night and on the way home after, I got all paranoid when a car was following us home. I got my handgun out on my lap just in case too. But fortunately it turned out to be a neighbor across the street coming home too.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:55 PM

10mm longslide in a shoulder rig, .45ACP commander on right hip, 9mm Derringer in left pants pocket, .38 snub nose on right ankle, two frag grenades in my shorts, and Boker AK47 switchblade in my right front pocket.

Seriously, I rarely carry a gun. I ALWAYS have a knife on me. And in the rare instance I am forced to go into areas I don't trust I might carry the EMP4 I got a few weeks ago.
You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:58 PM

All my carry guns are some form of 1911, but I only carry one at a time - that's why I carry 1911s.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Just bring a spare mag, it's faster anyway.

The fastest reload is a second gun , aka New York reload.