Local Gun Auctions - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-07-2018, 10:47 AM

Local Gun Auctions

Do guns sell well at local auctions? Local auction company is planning an aution after dear season and will have approx 100 guns to sell.
"A superior man, when resting in safety, forgets not that peril is ever present. When in a state of security, he forgets not that ruin is only a breath away. When all is orderly, he forgets not that chaos ever hovers over him. Thus, his state and clans are preserved." ************************************************** ******************** Confucius

Last edited by Taco Picasso; 11-07-2018 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Change question
Old 11-07-2018, 11:16 AM

Taco------------ You can sell FTF on Armslist and transfer through an FFL for the background check. From what I've read here, although it's not REQUIRED on a private party sale in Mo, it's an option.

You'll probably net more $ and you'll know it's not going to a felon.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:21 AM

The "auction house" will have very specific rules that determine the who, what, were, when and how as it applies to their auctions.

Some will charge different fees dependent on reserve vs. no reserve.

Will they provide FFL transfer services?

Be sure that you have a current "Blue Book of Gun Values", no surprises!

Be sure you understand who will pay the transfer!

Smiles,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2018, 11:29 AM

Note: I used to sell quite a few guns through Armslist when I was more actively collecting.

There were basically two types of buyers:

1. Guys who sounded legitimate right away. Articulate, knew what the gun was, asked intelligent questions, etc. And when I said I required an FFL transfer they would agree without hesitation.

2. Guys who sounded fishy immediately. Sounded sketchy. No knowledge on the on the gun or guns in general. Dumb questions like ".38 Special? Will 9mm fit?" Or even worse
"would you trade for 420?"

Literally 100% of the time, on these losers, they would go away when I insisted on an FFL transfer.

Background checks: The ultimate Clown-Be-Gone.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:56 AM

We have a local auction house that has a gun auction about every 3 months ,it is usually standing room only and the bidders sometime (many times ) pay higher than new prices for guns ,ammo and accessories .
Old 11-10-2018, 08:25 AM

I have only been to three.
One was an elderly gent selling off his guns to benefit his alma mater without waiting for the will to come into play. Another was a straight up auction, selling prices were all over the place, some bargains, some overpaid. The only thing I bid on soon got high and I let it go to a friend before it got absurd.

The third was a hoot, strictly Local Rules. A "gun and knife" sale, the $5 knives got as much attention as the $500 guns.
But wait, if an item peaked out at a low bid, the auctioneer would turn and say "Joe, will you sell for that?" Joe would usually say "No." and they would set the bargain aside and move on to something else.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:39 AM

Auction here every other Sunday guns go fast and for more than new in most cases .
Old 11-10-2018, 01:11 PM

Not just gun auctions, but all of them.

I see stuff going for more than you could buy it new for all of the time. I think that it is an ego thing for some of these ding dongs. And a lot of times there are shill bidders.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a454me View Post
We have a local auction house that has a gun auction about every 3 months ,it is usually standing room only and the bidders sometime (many times ) pay higher than new prices for guns ,ammo and accessories .
^ This! ^

I don't get it. People will get into a bidding frenzy , refuse to be outbid , no matter how high they have to go. I've seen prices go way above normal retail. Most auction houses charge between 10 and 25% buyer's fee , state sales tax , and even charge for paperwork and background check. Local auction house even charges $10 for a mandatory trigger lock.

Last edited by mkk41; 11-10-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:11 PM

I have never understood the allure of auctions. Basic economics tells us that when you have multiple buyers for an item the price will go up. I think in the olden days (pre-internet), people might occasionally get a good deal because the others at the auction didn't know the value of an item. That really isn't the case anymore.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:25 PM

Local auction house does about 4-5 firearms auctions a year. They are notorious for mis-representing their firearms. I've bought and consigned several over the years. I'd never buy online or going by their assessment or description.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:13 PM

Went to one farm auction that had a few guns. Watched a beat up marlin 30/30 that was nothing special go to almost $400.

Some of the local auction guys have friends out in the crowd just to drive up prices and as a result their commission.

Worked at the car auction for 10 years. If the dealers saw a public buyer who really wanted a car they would bid up the price just be d-heads
Old 11-11-2018, 09:22 AM

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I'm going to auction off some guns. They've been collecting dust too long.

Thanks,
"A superior man, when resting in safety, forgets not that peril is ever present. When in a state of security, he forgets not that ruin is only a breath away. When all is orderly, he forgets not that chaos ever hovers over him. Thus, his state and clans are preserved." ************************************************** ******************** Confucius
Old 11-11-2018, 09:44 AM

I only went to two and both were getting way too much for the guns. Unsolicited but IMO the same with Pawn Shops, expecting to get a great buy and many times I could buy new for the same price.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:37 AM

I did a lot of gun sales and trades on Backpage.com before it
was shut down by The Feds, and it was a great platform for
local firearm transactions here in AZ. I recently found a new
website backpagegun.com which is very similar to the old
Backpage, and it's really taking off. I think it will do well as
more people discover it across America.