9mm used on Bear - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-25-2018, 10:33 AM

9mm used on Bear

I know this has been hashed over a few times before but I have read an article where 9mm's have been used for defense on bears. I highly recommend using the biggest bullet that you can handle for your pistol if you are hiking or fishing or hunting in bear country. The info in this article is very good and shows some handgun defense is better than none.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/def...#axzz5UxKCKOfY
God is on the side of the best shots.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:35 AM

I admit I am not wild on the thought of using a 9mm on bear. I suppose it might be better than throwing rocks, but I would feel MUCH better with something much nastier. I guess you use what you have available, but still…....
Old 10-25-2018, 12:12 PM

I read an actual article about the number of bear attacks on humans, involving firearms, over the last like 60 years. It was broken down by caliber and kind of bear. the only attacks that were not stopped (bear doesn't die but runs away, still a win) were from 357. and they were misses. If you hit the bear with anything it would die or run away.

Don't take a 10mm you can't shoot. take something you are comfortable with, can shoot quickly, in a modern caliber. There were only like 3 fatal bear attacks in the last 100 years, and those were in weird ass places I don't go. Problem solved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2018, 12:22 PM

Flight into the bush in Alaska. Guide in the front w/pilot.
Hunter in the back saying he had his .38 Special revolver
along for the last defense agin a bear. Guide asks him is
that for shooting yerself before the bear eats you?
Old 10-25-2018, 12:38 PM

I would think that shooting a bear with a nine mil...

Would be pretty inhumane. They have some serious musculature about most of their body. If I was going to carry a handgun for protection from them in the woods. It would be the S&W model 329 that I carry now.

With that said. My wife and I have bears around our place fairly frequently. Nine times out of ten they will run away if you so much as yell at them. Rubber ball shotgun slugs are useful as well.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01938.JPG   DSC01897.JPG   DSC01757.JPG  
Old 10-25-2018, 01:10 PM

9mm isn't a good plan for stopping a bear but I would give a .380 a try too if it was all I had at the time.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:48 PM

When my grandad was a kid he got a butt-whippin' for shooting a deer with a .22 rifle.

Story is that it was a large doe, and out of season too. Dropped her where she stood.

While he was starting his punishment sentence his dad (my Great Grandfather) went out after dark & got the deer. The deed was done, no reason to waste the meat.

---- Now in MY time, at camp, I slept through a bear visit. It tore open a footlocker of food. Supposedly a councilor was going to shoot it with a small handgun (.25 or .22) but was stopped by other staff members.

Probably would have run off & suffered a great deal. So it's good that was prevented.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:51 PM
Administrator

A .22 or .25 is adequate for defense against bears, but only if you shoot your partner in the kneecap.

Sorry, old joke!
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:38 PM

That is funny. Sort of like the one where you have only to run faster than the other guy with you.
;-)
Old 10-25-2018, 04:42 PM

I read an article on how to survive a bear attack in an outdoor magazine.

Step #1 was:

"Don't Panic"

That's the funniest thing I've ever seen in print.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:47 PM

So I have a 800 pound, 9 foot tall, 3" fanged bear coming at me at 40 MPH.

And I'm supposed to be chill?
Old 10-25-2018, 05:06 PM
Administrator

According to many liberals all you need to do is give it a (bear) hug. After all it worked in all those Disney movies.

Something to keep in mind, poachers in Africa use AK-47s to kill elephants and rhinos. I personally would never want to rely on a 7.62x39mm rifle to take down a massive beast like that, but apparently as long as you hit it multiple times it'll go down.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:11 PM

If you're planning on using a 9mm on a bear, make sure you file down the front sight so it's good and smooth. That way it won't hurt as much when the bear shoves it up your arse.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:31 PM

Guys around here have killed bear with 38sp and 9mm . There not hunting bear but those that I have heard of were bow hunting walking in or our or in the stand . I carried a 40sw for decades when hunting as a back up even taken a few deer with it that showed up under me But for black bear I would be find with my old 170gr sp speer 357gr ar 1400fps . Big deference between the average no woodsman and a person comfortable in the woods or killing anything .

How would some you react if in this video - Bear was looking to take a nap !in his stand .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jRTrRxamxQ
Old 10-25-2018, 06:42 PM

You don't need a gun. Just carry a can of Spam. If you see a bear open the can and throw it at him. He will be so preoccupied with his tasty treat he will forget all about you. I mean who doesn't like a good old can of spam
Old 10-25-2018, 07:27 PM

If confronted with a bear I believe I would want a bigger caliber than 9mm. For all I know a 9mm could be enough though. I don't have a link handy but I read a story last year about a kid that killed a charging brown bear with a .410 shotgun. It seems after the first shot the bear opened its mouth allowing the second shot to got into it's mouth/throat & kill it. I do have a link to a story about a world record bear taken with .22 long.

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/bel...#axzz5UzZKWw2B
Old 10-25-2018, 07:39 PM

When I was a kid, 60 years ago, I read a magazine article about an Alaskan safari. The author wrote about his guide, an Eskimo, who showed up at the trailhead with a rusty .22 bolt action rifle. It was his only gun. He hunted bear, walrus and everything else with it to feed and clothe his family.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
If you're planning on using a 9mm on a bear, make sure you file down the front sight so it's good and smooth. That way it won't hurt as much when the bear shoves it up your arse.
Beat me to it.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:50 PM

It's not about what caliber you hit them with - it all about where you hit them. If you can't put it in the brainpan or brainstem you're only going to enrage them more. An old guide once told me to never go into bear country alone. If a bear starts chasing you shoot your partner in the leg and keep running.

Last edited by drail; 10-25-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:05 PM

Wonder what Davy Crockett would do ?
Old 10-25-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
According to many liberals all you need to do is give it a (bear) hug. After all it worked in all those Disney movies.

Something to keep in mind, poachers in Africa use AK-47s to kill elephants and rhinos. I personally would never want to rely on a 7.62x39mm rifle to take down a massive beast like that, but apparently as long as you hit it multiple times it'll go down.
They are actually shooting them and then they follow along waiting for it to die. I did like the story where several poachers were sneaking up on some rhinos to kill at night. But they walked into a pride of lions. The rangers didn't find much left of them the next day.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
You don't need a gun. Just carry a can of Spam. If you see a bear open the can and throw it at him. He will be so preoccupied with his tasty treat he will forget all about you. I mean who doesn't like a good old can of spam
You know that might actually work. ;-)
Old 10-25-2018, 09:29 PM

I read on these forums once I believe a while back that you could carry a 44mag revolver in Alaskan country for grizzly bear defense, though you should first shave off the front site. Another person asked why shave off the front site? The answer was so after you piss the bear off with it and the bear grabs it from you and shoves it up your ass, it won't hurt so bad. This is not word for word, but that was the just of it from my recollection.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Wonder what Davy Crockett would do ?
According to legend he once faced a bear, screamed "I AM DAVY CROCKETT!!!" and frightened it to death. I'm not too sure I'd be willing to try replicating that feat. Maybe try it on a squirrel first?

I know people tend to recommend huge revolvers like a .500 S&W Magnum for bear defense, but I have to wonder how many people can effectively manage such a weapon, especially if repeat hits are needed. Perhaps a smaller gun that can be easily controlled and holds a lot more rounds would be a better option for most people.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviesterno View Post
I read an actual article about the number of bear attacks on humans, involving firearms, over the last like 60 years. It was broken down by caliber and kind of bear. the only attacks that were not stopped (bear doesn't die but runs away, still a win) were from 357. and they were misses. If you hit the bear with anything it would die or run away.

Don't take a 10mm you can't shoot. take something you are comfortable with, can shoot quickly, in a modern caliber. There were only like 3 fatal bear attacks in the last 100 years, and those were in weird ass places I don't go. Problem solved.
Good and interesting point...I am somewhat surprised about all the alleged misses with 357M. Even in full power trim it isn't hard to control with practice. And that perhaps is another key point besides finding one's sweet-spot btwn power and controllability/speed, - practice and train no matter what one shoots (obvious of course)!...I personally wouldn't use a 9mm, but I had a 44mag and realized with full-power loads, it would also be less than optimal for speed and so downgraded to 357M, where even with full-power loads I shoot well. And it does bring a lot of "benefit's" to the table, like a power factor greater than 45 duty ammo and energy levels which are enough to matter. Very similar to 10mm ballistics..
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper