Front Strap Checkering - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-20-2009, 02:15 PM

Front Strap Checkering

Want to have the front strap checkered on one of my Kimbers. Has anyone ever attempted it themselves? I am fairly experienced with gunsmithing but have never tried to cut the front strap checkering. I found a jig from Brownells that would make it easier. Any suggestions?
Old 01-20-2009, 02:37 PM

Find some you like and pay the guy that did it to do yours? Buy/find a beater and practice first.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:37 PM

I'e always thought it was an irony, that the 1911 and it's endless spin offs, had such nice checkered Stocks, when, the right manner of grip, would have recommended smooth Stocks, and checkering on the front and rear straps of the receiver.

Anyway, in times passed, special multi-row Files used for Thread chasing of Bolts, were somes used for checkering Steel. Engraver's Chisels of course allow for a tidy boarder...not possible to do with Files, although Rifflers could come close.

Darn it, I've really been wanting to do a 'project' 1911, but I have not found a frame or donor-pistol yet. But checkered front and backstraps are a-callin' to me, definitely...

Have fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2009, 02:39 PM

Checkering is an art.... leave it to the pros. Practice on something that doesn't have any value to you.

Practice on a piece of 1" dia steel thick walled tubing, or even a round piece of delrin. It's easy to do, but harder to do well. The cleanup and blending after the fact takes quite a bit of effort too.

You can use the search function and look up a post I did back in, oh 2007? about metal checkering.

As far as the jigs, I made my own, as I really didn't like the existing ones we had. After you do a frame you'll understand why guys went to machine cut checkering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin'N View Post
Find some you like and pay the guy that did it to do yours?

That's a very good idea...probably the best idea, really...

Then too, there is value and satisfaction in learning by doing, though it can and does have it's cost(s)...liabilities...
Old 01-20-2009, 02:57 PM

dont waste your time, I had my first checkering job on a kimber...never again.

N.R.A. Life Member
Old 01-20-2009, 04:42 PM

ship it off to springfield and get MACHINED checkering. its by far the best price you will find
Old 01-20-2009, 05:26 PM

I've done a couple of dozen front straps. Never had a problem, but you have to be CAREFUL!! One second of lost concentration and you're screwed. You can't put the metal back.

I never used a jig. A pair of lined 4X6 cards lined up on either side of the frame in a padded vice works for me. But you have to be directly above the work and not move your head and have good light. Your vice should weigh at least 40 lbs (no lightweight woodworking vice!) and be bolted down to a solid bench.

Brownell's checkering files work fine. Chalk the file. Keep it clean. 30 LPI for a front strap. 40 LPI for the rear of the slide.

Good luck.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45 nut View Post
ship it off to springfield and get MACHINED checkering. its by far the best price you will find
+1. And BTW, I think even Springfield sends this off to some other shop to get the work done. At least, they did on mine.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:27 PM

Go for it. Get some scrap metal similar to your frame and practice. You'll either enjoy it or decide it's too much work and ship your gun off to someone else.

But you'll never know until you try.

The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Old 01-20-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
do you know approximately how much this cost? b/c i'll be getting a gun in a few months and i'd like it to have front strap checkering but my price range is $600-900. ill get it done at a later date if the gun i buy doesnt have it.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitghost View Post
do you know approximately how much this cost? b/c i'll be getting a gun in a few months and i'd like it to have front strap checkering but my price range is $600-900. ill get it done at a later date if the gun i buy doesnt have it.
You might want to try some 3M Tread Tape/skateboard tape. It may change your mind about fs checkering. I'd rather have the tape. I have guns with front strap checkering.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:11 PM

I did sthe skate tape thing, then switched to a finer grit tape from Home Despot becaue the skate tape ripped up my hand too much. I then bought some files from Brownells and checkered it at 100LPI. Looks like I did it myself, but not terrible, by any means. If you really need a piece of art, have it professionally done., If you want something that works and is a serviceable, working gun, go ahead and do it yourself.

Goog
Old 01-20-2009, 09:20 PM
Banned

Get the brownells kit and start carvin'....hell, it's just a gun.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewKimber View Post
Get the brownells kit and start carvin'....hell, it's just a gun.
Just a gun?!?!?!?!

A 1911 can never be "just a gun".
Old 01-21-2009, 08:26 AM

I think I saw some partially finished lowers at sarco for cheap to practice on
Old 01-21-2009, 10:31 PM

I've been trying my hand at checkering for a couple of years. I started out checkering on some de-milled frames, but that was a mistake because the metal was really hard. Don't know if the torching made them harder than usual or if the old military stuff was just hard to begin with.

I've checkered on Colt frames, Springfield frames, and RIA frames. The metal in the RIA frames seem easier to checker. Maybe it's softer, I don't know.

Here's a pic of the tools I use. I've found the checkering guide very helpful. I think it's from Marvel. I forget.
[IMG][/IMG]

This is one of my later jobs on a RIA frame. I was kinda in a hurry, so I cold blued it before I was completely satisfied, but good enough for shooting. I'll clean up the edges later.

[IMG][/IMG]

This is a Springfield frame I'm still working on. It' almost done. I always get lazy with the edges. I haven't figured out a border that I like. Sometimes I leave a border, sometimes I don't.

[IMG][/IMG]

I've been asked a couple of times to checker guns for friends, but I always turn them down. A wise person once told me the best way to ruin a good hobby is to turn it into a business!
Old 01-22-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitghost View Post
I have had two of my pistols done by Springfield. I highly recommend their machine cut checkering service.

I bought the Marvel checkering jig from Brownell's because I wanted to try it myself. I practiced on plastic pipe, and flat aluminum and on aluminum rod. That was easy I told myself. On to my gun. To make a long story short the gun turned into a DISASTER. The file wandered and I ended up cutting the points into.

I was able to find a vendor that could fix my screw-up (the fine folks at EGW) and my pistol is now done. Before I try it again I want to find someone that does it and ask to watch it happen. It is my understanding that Caspian will sell frames that can't be turned into guns. I will buy several of them and practice on a real front strap before I EVER try it on a real gun again.

RWW
Old 01-23-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic0079 View Post
I think I saw some partially finished lowers at sarco for cheap to practice on
Great Plan
also if you call Caspian they may have a demilled frame to practice on before you cut on your own bullet launcher.

geo

www.egw-guns.com

redone yesterday
Old 01-23-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomKimber View Post
Want to have the front strap checkered on one of my Kimbers. Has anyone ever attempted it themselves? I am fairly experienced with gunsmithing but have never tried to cut the front strap checkering. I found a jig from Brownells that would make it easier. Any suggestions?
Quote:
Since it's a Kimber, they may be more receptive to it.

I had Kimber do 30lpi to mine and they did a fantastic job. It was about $150 on a SS frame and they cleaned the frame up like new.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by SRJim; 01-23-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:13 AM

Smokers, you had done an excellent job, better than some factory work that I have seen. Great work!

I think that for the average person, sending the frame to the factory to have the job done would be a good approach, unless you have a local smith that can show you work that he has done.
Also, Wilson Combat makes a checkered frontstrap that slips under the grips that doesn't look too bad. It's only $10 or so. It is in the Brownell's book.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:44 AM

The Wilson add on frontstrap is nasty. It goes in the same category as Shok-Buffs and those magwells that go under the grips.

Springfield charges 80 bucks for machine cut checkering. Its the best deal going. Myself, I use 3M tread tape.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:16 AM

Here's my personal journey toward 20 lpi frontstrap checkering. It was my first attempt on a gun, and maybe it'll be of some help, maybe you'll just get a couple of belly laughs out of it.

Before I attempted it, I apprenticed under Wile E. Coyote for several years.

http://www.geocities.com/kemays/1911...1911frame2.htm
Old 01-23-2009, 03:13 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback. I believe I will try this once I get home from Iraq. I have done checkering on wood plenty of times. The pics were very helpful. If I jack it up I can always cover it with a set of wrap around grips.