How much would it cost? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-08-2008, 02:17 PM

How much would it cost?

If I bought every part I needed to build a 1911, took it all to a gunsmith, and asked him to put it all together for me because I do know how to fit pieces... Roughly how much should/would it cost me? If I like what I hear back from you guys, then I might call around and get some price quotes before I decide to go through with it.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:20 PM
1911 Aficionado

My local pro charges $50 an hour for his time. Depending on how well the parts fit, a reasonable amount to build your pistol may be $500, and it may be twice that.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:26 PM

Checkout the Fusion kits I was kinda interested in getting one for a nice gun and to tinker with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2008, 02:29 PM

I would say between $1000 to $1300. You are basically asking someone to build you a custom gun.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:45 PM

I just ordered all my parts from caspian/wilson etc... my parts were about 1500 bucks( got damascus slide,trigger,hammer and a Ti frame).. my local smith said he could put everything together, get the sights dialed and the gun running for about 500 bucks..
Old 05-08-2008, 02:49 PM

I wouldn't mind $500 at all.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:57 PM

Personally I think your best bet would be to call a smith you wanna u.se and tell him what your looking to do and see if they could give you an estimate.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:03 PM

You need to price the parts and the labor.... If you are trying to get a decent 1911 at a good price it is a bad plan.... Now if you are wanting a personalized custom that changes things... Gather your $$$ and go forth.... When I stuffed bare frames with quality parts I ended up with almost $400 in parts for each frame.. Add the cost of a Caspian frame, Caspian slide, Barsto barrel.... Then add the $500 labor. Don't forget sights and the $$$ to polish it out and blue....

The Kimber and Springfield offerings look attractive quick... I would find a good deal on a base loaded Springfield and then swap out a few items...

Last edited by sdgeorge; 05-08-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:55 PM

If you'll tell us what kind of 1911 you want to wind up with, it would make our job much easier. Thre are several grades to consider and only you can determine how you want to go...and why.

Bob
Old 05-08-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgeorge View Post
You need to price the parts and the labor.... If you are trying to get a decent 1911 at a good price it is a bad plan.... Now if you are wanting a personalized custom that changes things... Gather your $$$ and go forth.... When I stuffed bare frames with quality parts I ended up with almost $400 in parts for each frame.. Add the cost of a Caspian frame, Caspian slide, Barsto barrel.... Then add the $500 labor. Don't forget sights and the $$$ to polish it out and blue....

The Kimber and Springfield offerings look attractive quick... I would find a good deal on a base loaded Springfield and then swap out a few items...
Been there, done that, costs way too much. Better off buying a custom right off.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:31 PM

Somewhere I heard it was better to go to the gunsmith and have him order the parts you want. Basically the gunsmith gets some of his money from mark up on parts and then won't charge as much for labor.

The first time I had my Colt worked on, I showed up with the parts. The second time I just had gunsmith order parts. There were more parts and more work to do 2nd trip but it cost less than the first.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:43 PM

^ that is right, Brownells has a trade price for the smiths. having built my own 1911, a springfield loaded would have been a better choice, since mine has an off the shelf slide and frame, precut dovetails, and so on, its no different than a factory model. now when you get in to the R&R and Yost and Burton and Yam teir, well you arent going to buy that gun off a shelf anyway so you might as well go the component route.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:09 PM

I was thinking Government size...

STI slide
Olympic Arms frame
Kart NM barrel
Quality internal and external parts from whoever
Novak style combat sight

Would look a bit like this Commander size Caspian.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWdude83 View Post
If I bought every part I needed to build a 1911, took it all to a gunsmith, and asked him to put it all together for me because I do know how to fit pieces... Roughly how much should/would it cost me? If I like what I hear back from you guys, then I might call around and get some price quotes before I decide to go through with it.
Buying the parts & paying a gunsmith to build it would cost more than buying a gun of equivalent quality. A better way to go would be to call Bob Serva at Fusion Firearms. Tell him what you want & he'll give you a price quote.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:21 PM

$2822.55 Ought to cover it.
Chris
Old 05-10-2008, 10:19 AM

Chris, I don't know if you're being serious or not, but the last single stack build I quoted was right at $2800.

Quality parts will run at least $1000, plus machine work, fitting and blending everything, finishing the pistol and providing ammo and test firing.

It all takes time and some skills and I'm not giving either away.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:36 PM

jplhrh
No I was just being a sarcastic ass, guess I was trying to make a statement. I was pretty much trying to say with no particulars how can anyone give a real price, therefore for labor alone I would do it for $2822.50
Of course what a smith would charge to put together a 1911 would depend on many variables, like whether he must mill slide for sights, cut frame for beavertail, machine cocking serrations, are the parts oversized or drop in, IE a drop in barrel can be fit by a competent smith much much faster than a Gunsmith fit barrel, Is a trigger job required or is a 8 lb gritty trigger ok, Must the gun be refinished and if so with what finish?? What level of fit finish do you require, Range grade ok or presentation grade what you are after???

Too many variables I might charge only $100 to assemble or I might charge up to $2822.50 to assemble, Best to take this up with whomever you choose to do the job as he will have many questions for you.
Chris