Rodgers Stainless Colt.....PICS! - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 05:09 AM

just average

You guys are killing me. This is just an average Bob Rodgers duty gun. If you just go back and look at all his other built pistols, you will see that this pistol is not that special. It's just like all the other duty pistols he builds. Now what is really impressive is the groups that these duty guns shoot.

I believe there is a story floating around down there in Florida about one of these duty pistols shooting pretty good at 100 yards down on your property Irv.
I am sure you have the details better, Irv.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:44 AM

Thanks again, you guys.

The trigger is a Greider short, internally lightened.

I fit grip safeties using the highest technology available.
The frame tangs are carefully machined....on a belt sander.....laser guided of course. The object is to get close, but not TOO close.

I finish the fit with a hand operated milling machine (aka file), although the idea of using a chain saw is intriguing.

This is the same way we fit them in class. It's interesting watching folks shove a new frame into a belt sander. They draw such a vacuum that the air pressure in the shop drops.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:30 AM

Ohh, forgot to mention

With the exception of my first class pistol, forum followers should take a look at the previous class pistols from Uncle Bob's pistol camp. I have watched Bob, Jeremy ( jerm1812 ), and Dwayne ( ddg4238 ) guide first timers in making a excellent GS fit.

That is one of the most terrifying and rewarding parts of his week-long class. And I have seen some GS fitting jobs from class that are alot better than some of these semi-custom pistols out there.

Bob will never get the credit he deserves for the knowledge he allows his students to gain in those classes.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:19 AM

Location: Where we know we belong to the land, and the land we belong to is grand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rodgers View Post
Thanks again, you guys.

The trigger is a Greider short, internally lightened.

I fit grip safeties using the highest technology available.
The frame tangs are carefully machined....on a belt sander.....laser guided of course. The object is to get close, but not TOO close.

I finish the fit with a hand operated milling machine (aka file), although the idea of using a chain saw is intriguing.

This is the same way we fit them in class. It's interesting watching folks shove a new frame into a belt sander. They draw such a vacuum that the air pressure in the shop drops.
Thank you for sharing your special secret techniques. I am off to Harbor Freight for a laser guided belt sander. Duct taping a laser pointer to a Black and Decker might work for some, but I want the best. Can't wait to see the next build and the tutorials really help. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2011, 10:29 AM

'you will see that this pistol is not that special'

Not special for Rodgers' guns perhaps, but damn special compared to all others.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
'you will see that this pistol is not that special'

Not special for Rodgers' guns perhaps, but damn special compared to all others.
+1 on that comment.

It's so clean. Everything I'd want and nothing more. No show-off flourishes, just superb execution. Well, except for the golf ball cuts...
Old 12-01-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the laugh Bob. I don't feel bad for adopting the belt sander technique now.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:58 PM

All

I think the one thing we all lose track of is that Bob uses everyday tools (I know I have stolen a few, I still have his favorite files with his name written in magic marker on the wood handle, "BASTARD") so that anyone can do this build, perhaps not as smooth and nice as Bob but a damn fine pistol. He teaches everything in his six day class, he holds nothing back. I know a student who attended his first and second class who had never even taken a 1911 apart to oil or clean who built a great blaster. Her second class was really much better and I have seen professional 'smiths who don't build as nice a gun.

It's not rocket science or something that requires ten of thousands of dollars worth of tools but it does require an expert eye to guide you, to tell you to file smooth and straight, to notice when you need a little help getting rid of craters in your file work. That's experience and only comes from years of screw ups. You see, I remember when Bob was first starting this adventure and each pistol comes out slightly better than an earlier one. This one he did for Dr. Tim (the other one) is fabulous and I can't wait to see it in person in ten days. The good 'smiths don't rest on their laurels, they keep advancing the curve.

be safe irv
Old 12-01-2011, 01:11 PM

Truer words never spoken

Irv,
You summed it up pretty good. "The Art of Filing by an Expert Eye" by Bob Seymore Rodgers.

On a side note I almost made it out of there at end of last class with one of his treasured 4" rounded end mill files. Thought I had made it out the door with it hidden in my tools. I think he counts those things or something.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:51 PM

Great gun!!! Great thread!!!
Old 12-01-2011, 02:14 PM

Great work Bob
regards
Carlos
www.ccactions.com
NRA Life Member
Old 12-02-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvin View Post
All

I think the one thing we all lose track of is that Bob uses everyday tools (I know I have stolen a few, I still have his favorite files with his name written in magic marker on the wood handle, "BASTARD") so that anyone can do this build, perhaps not as smooth and nice as Bob but a damn fine pistol. He teaches everything in his six day class, he holds nothing back. I know a student who attended his first and second class who had never even taken a 1911 apart to oil or clean who built a great blaster. Her second class was really much better and I have seen professional 'smiths who don't build as nice a gun.

It's not rocket science or something that requires ten of thousands of dollars worth of tools but it does require an expert eye to guide you, to tell you to file smooth and straight, to notice when you need a little help getting rid of craters in your file work. That's experience and only comes from years of screw ups. You see, I remember when Bob was first starting this adventure and each pistol comes out slightly better than an earlier one. This one he did for Dr. Tim (the other one) is fabulous and I can't wait to see it in person in ten days. The good 'smiths don't rest on their laurels, they keep advancing the curve.

be safe irv
You know, it's tough for someone like me, who is relatively new to this, to decide who's class to take. Between Laughridge, Garthwaite, Rodgers, and Vickers, how do you decide who's class to take? All have impeccable track records. I'm also positive there is something to be learned from every one of them. So it becomes a matter of what order to take the classes in I'm guessing. Any thoughts on this? At the moment, I'm sort of trying to decide between Rodgers and Vickers I suppose.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:08 AM
Administrator

There are people that have taken classes from more than 1 instructor. Maybe 1 of them will weigh in.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:39 AM

It's interesting how a collection of subtle treatments coalesce into a style recognizable at a glance. Very clean and businesslike, I love it.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:14 PM

Try Rick

I hope this isn't hi-jacking because he should weigh in soon anyway. But try sending ( Rick L ) a pm. I believe he took another class besides Bob's pistol camp.

People are correct in that there are several courses out there, but I am not aware of any others that start with bare frame & slide and take you thru entire process from fitting slide to frame on Monday all the way to having front sight milled for correct height on a functioning pistol that at end of Friday. This is not including Saturday until 3pm in which you sandblast the finish and do final once over for pics. In between those two days you are fitting barrel bushing, lugs, trigger, sear, GS, TS, etc. Other prior students can chime in, but it takes the full week IMHO.

You go over every aspect of the 1911 pistol and parts through daily discussion periods and fit all parts to the pistol ( though sometimes assisted ).

I believe Rick has over 30K rounds thru his class pistol now, Jeremy probably just a little lower maybe, and so on.

Now back to gun lusting!!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Thank you all for the kind comments.
Chuck Rogers and I then built a gun for a friend on the left coast. Chuck went all out with golfballs on that pistol and it was the first of its kind. I fit a Baer grip safety to the frame and REALLY high cut it. That pistol ended up in American Handgunner magazine, but the really cool part is that the owner carries it....on duty.
You must mean this one

Old 12-02-2011, 10:36 PM

My goodness you put a nice finish on your guns, very nice.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Just in time for the Holidays, a stainless Colt for one of the short bus crew in Florida. Kart barrel, Baer grip safety, Davidson grips, Chuck Rogers golfballs, Legacy mainspring housing, modified Heinie rear sight.

Destined to be an every day carry and shot.....a LOT.

I'm in love.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:03 AM

If Irv is to be believed (I know, I know...), I may get to see this masterpiece on Friday. I was expecting to show off Jeremy's excellent arrowhead serrations on my class gun, but now - how can you brag in the presence of this!

Bob's description of the initial tang fitting brought tears (back) to my eyes. Clutching my brand new frame, I approached that machine, destructive boulders glued to a moving walkway. Getting my nerve, I threw the switch and the monster roared - I almost dropped a load of barbeque right there!

Shoving a new frame into that shredder - life offers several "first times" that you remember always. This was one of them.

I've been studying the pictures, looking for things to improve my gun. No shortage of those, but then I consider which I might be capable of; the list gets quite small.

Then, as an exercise, I grabbed a blue marker and went looking for "issues". Damn, there's not a single mark on my monitor.

Wow.

Don
Old 12-04-2011, 11:17 AM

Hi Don

What do you "to be believed"? That pistol will be at the Intermediate Handgun class at Southern Dec. 9 and I advise you to look at it before I do because I may just spew all over it with key West Kickapoo juice. It is beautiful.

Sometimes you jut have to grab life by the balls and and lay that frame into that 20 grit to get that golf ball look, actually with 20 grit you get the goof ball look.

Bring you blaster to the range so we can all have a look see.

be safe irv

be safe irv
Old 12-04-2011, 11:24 AM

Simply beautiful. Doubtless it shoots as great as it looks.

Superb photography also; lighting, angles, composition, framing- perfect.

I can see one of your beauties in my collection one day- definitely.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:45 PM

Holy Wonderfulness!
I've been knee deep and neglected to say:
Aw Bob, you're the Man!
Old 12-15-2011, 07:16 AM

Would have posted sooner, but I had to keep wiping the drool off my keyboard. Excellent work Bob. Just outstanding!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:03 AM

Nice piece Bob.
CW