Have a little problem with my build... - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 08:35 PM

Have a little problem with my build...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9...D550/ry%3D400/ The pic doesn't show very well but when I try to install my new wilson extended safety, the sear won't let it rotate to the on position. I tried a generic safety and it worked fine. I really don't want to start filing on the safety but it just won't clear. I thought about filing the sear thiner but it 's going to take quite a bit. Am I missing something here? Is this common? Thanks Truman
Old 03-06-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truman View Post
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9...D550/ry%3D400/ The pic doesn't show very well but when I try to install my new wilson extended safety, the sear won't let it rotate to the on position. I tried a generic safety and it worked fine. I really don't want to start filing on the safety but it just won't clear. I thought about filing the sear thiner but it 's going to take quite a bit. Am I missing something here? Is this common? Thanks Truman

Thumb safeties must be fitted! Don't thin-out the sear!!!! Are you attempting to engage safety with the hammer installed and cocked?

Last edited by rglock35; 03-06-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Banned

Truman,

Make a trip to Omaha over the weekend and we can have a looksee. It might be more fruitful than troubleshooting over the internet. We BOTH might learn something. Just gimme a holler.

Dave
402-290-9669
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2009, 09:21 PM

That's very kind Mr. Erickson. You top notch 'smiths are the best.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:54 PM

Thanks Guys...

Its late, but I think the sear is out of position. When I installed the sear it was hanging up on the sides of the frame. Thanks Dave if I can't make it work I might drop by. It's great having a master in the hood ! Thanks Truman
Old 03-06-2009, 11:05 PM

If you put the hammer in and cock it then the sear would have to be in the right position, after that you can put the Safety back in and start to fit it. To my knowledge there is no such thing as a drop in safety, they all need to be fitted correctly. File too much and you need a new safety, so if you arn't comfortable doing it then take it to someone that knows what they are doing.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:20 PM

Truman
Put the file down and step away, if you are unaware that a new thumb safety must be fitted then I will enlighten you.
New thumb safeties must be fitted, if this is not a new thumb safety then disregard all above and good luck. If this is a new thumb safety then go see Dave Erickson before you do bad ju ju to your pistol.
Chris
Old 03-08-2009, 03:32 PM

Thanks to everybody

Rest assured that no real or imagined 1911s were injured or mutilated during this project. The pistol in question is now a working model and all safetys work according to design. I am happy to say that the test firing went with out a glitch. I appreciate the patience and knowledge of everyone on the board. I know its frustrating to the full time smiths when us part timers start tinkering. Truman
Old 03-08-2009, 06:28 PM

Good job!
Old 03-08-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindhogg View Post
Truman
Put the file down and step away, if you are unaware that a new thumb safety must be fitted then I will enlighten you. New thumb safeties must be fitted, if this is not a new thumb safety then disregard all above and good luck. If this is a new thumb safety then go see Dave Erickson before you do bad ju ju to your pistol.
Chris

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=145628

This should be put in the How-Tos.

Must I go on?!?