Unbiased 10mm Review - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-16-2013, 09:41 PM

Unbiased 10mm Review

I just got a new RIA Tactical 10mm in today from the distributor. I took a gamble on the gun and ordered one without actually seeing on in person. So I though I would do my very best to do an unbiased review. I want to try to do a review of the gun alone and then I will try to compare it to my stainless Taurus which is very close in price at the $600 range.

First impressions after opening the box, aside of the ridiculous amount of oil all over the gun, was that the gun looked much better in person that it did in pictures online. With the VZ grips, it really gives the impression of a much high quality gun as opposed to the cheap junk wood grips that RIA usually puts on their guns. It was a a very nice touch.

After wiping away most of the excess oil off the surface, my next impression was that the magwell really looks cheap. It doesn't fit the frame and there is a considerable gap between the bottom of the grips and the top of the magwell.

The next thing I noticed was the sights. The fiber optic front sight is a HUGE bonus for me personally as I really enjoy a FO front sight. Looking from the side, the light tube looks orange, but looking down the sights, it presents with a red color. Just something I noticed. I was also surprised to see that the rear sight had white dots, which I really didn't expect. It's a nice touch too. It's easy to put the red dot between the two white dots quickly and easily. And even though the sights look similar to a combat style sight, it's fully adjustable for windage and elevation. Another big plus in my book! I love fully adjustable sights on my guns.

Overall fit of the gun is really impressive considering the bargain price of the gun. There was some noticeable side to side play in the slide to frame fit, but nothing that I would consider excessive. Another thing I noticed right off the bat that I wasn't especially impressed with was the plastic main spring housing. I'm not a fan personally, but it's something that I can easily be swapped out. HOWEVER, the back rear corner of the frame has had the point cut off at an angle instead of coming to a point like other 1911 frames. This leaves the bottom corner of the MSH exposed rather than being covered by the frame, so even if the MSH is replaced, it will still have the unfinished exposed look. Second thing that stuck out to me was that the bottom of the MSH did not fit flush with the bottom of the frame. The MSH sticks out past the bottom of the frame by about an 1/8th of an inch. I would say that the bottom corner of the frame and MSH area are the biggest eye sore on the whole gun.

After racking the slide, I worked the thumb safeties and they activate very easily and engage and disengage with a nice crisp snapping sound. But in checking the safeties, I found my second biggest concern about the gun. After squeezing the grip safety in a firm shooting grip, the grip safety sticks in the down position. The only way I have found to disengage the grip safety when stuck is by pushing up on the bottom of the beavertail portion. I'm hoping that this will smooth up, but it presents with a safety concern in my mind.

The finish is something that I will try to be as unbiased as possible about. I really dislike parkerizing. On this gun, the parkerizing appears to be very well done. It has a nice look and feel. However, there is a noticeable difference in coloring between the slide and the frame. The slide is slightly darker in color than the frame. Truthfully, it's not as bad as I had expected it to be.

I used my trigger pull gauge to check the pull weight. My gauge shows that the trigger breaks just shy of 5lbs. It's almost, but not quite 5lbs. I believe that it will lighten up over time and use.

But those are my initial impressions of the gun from a gun owner who had a bad experience with a Citadel Compact in the past. I tried to be as unbiased as possible in my overall review of the pistol by itself. I hope to do the comparison to the Taurus in the next couple days when I have more time.

Find Us On Facebook!
FFL Dealer
Old 04-16-2013, 09:59 PM

I will be watching this since I have a soft spot for 10mm.

As for the VZ grips, they are nice. I think you can put some on an ordinary hammer and still be impressed with the over all result.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:43 AM

Ok, now for the comparison review. I'm doing this on my phone so excuse the auto correction mistakes.

I know it's kind of an apples to oranges comparison, but I will do my best to even out the playing field. Firstly, the RIA is a 10mm and the Taurus is a 45. The 10mm gets huge points in my book. However, the Taurus is stainless and that also gets huge points for me. It's tougher and more forgiving. No matter how scratched or polished, I can always return the gun to looking brand new after a few minutes on my bead blaster. So in my book, the caliber difference and the steel difference are an equal draw. I'll try not to give the RIA points for being a 10mm and I'll try not to give the Taurus points for being stainless. Factoring those aspects out of the comparison, I'll call the guns even from this point on.

Starting with the components:

Sights- My Taurus came with Heinie Straight 8s. While I do like that the sights are an actual known brand name, I thought they were mediocre. Ok, but nothing to brag about. I actually had both the original front and rear sights replaced on my Taurus. The sights on the RIA may not be a brand name like Heinie, but I much prefer them to the original Taurus sights. So RIA +1 on this part.

Ambis- I'm going to call this a draw between the two. I may give RIA a 1/2 point because Taurus ambis are known to break and work loose. So RIA +.5 here.
Grip Safety- Just going with my experience, I'm calling this a draw for sure. The Taurus operates properly but has a small gap that you can see daylight through. The RIA fits better but continues to stick when fully pressed.

MSH- Taurus definitely gets the point in this category. Taurus comes with a nicely checkered STAINLESS STEEL MSH. The RIA uses a plastic one. The MSH on the Taurus fits flush with the bottom of the frame while the RIA fit is poor and extends past the bottom of the frame. So I'm giving one point for the better quality part and a half point for the better fitment. So +1.5 for the Taurus.

Trigger- I'm really thinking there is little difference between the two. I can't tell really any difference between the two. I never checked the pull weight on the Taurus when it was brand new. And internals are likely similar quality. So I'm calling this a draw as there is limited information to make a judgement.

Frame- Taurus gets the point in this area due to being forged compared to the cast frame of the RIA. If we were talking about both being 45s, I'd give it a draw. But with the add stress and force of the 10mm, a forged frame would be better in my opinion. So +1 for Taurus.

Slide to frame fit- I'm giving RIA the point on this. While there is still some noticeable play on the RIA, my Taurus had a little more. The slide and frame rails at the rear of the pistol are better cut and fit on the RIA than the Taurus. So +1 for the RIA.

I really can't compare barrels as the RIA is a ramped and supported bushingless barrel and nothing like the Taurus barrel. And I can't make any judgements on performance either. So at this point I'm tired of typing on my phone and I'm running out of areas to compare. So the initial comparison score up to this point is RIA 2.5 and Taurus also 2.5. I honestly didn't even plan that!

So the long and short of it is that both guns have different pros and cons and both guns have areas that could definitely be improved on.

Find Us On Facebook!
FFL Dealer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 09:48 AM

Actually I might give Taurus an additional 0.5 point for having a checkered front strap. The RIA has vertical serrations and that's better than nothing, but the checkered front strap on the Taurus is a big bonus for me.

Find Us On Facebook!
FFL Dealer
Old 04-17-2013, 07:31 PM

this is why i was actually glad he left it off. Yeah the checkered frontstrap is an expensive feature, but i don't like checkering. That's why i put the pachmayr's on my pistol. Great write up, and this is why man has made many variations of 1911. While we like the same design, each of us has some individual preferences that make us unique.

Sticks and stones may break bones, but my .45 will kill you.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:54 AM

let us know how it does during the first 200 or so rounds...
Old 04-21-2013, 05:08 PM

First trip to the range was a disaster.

I brought some of my favorite SWC reloads that I shoot in my Dan Wesson. The gun simply refused to feed a single round from the mag. The nose of the bullet was to far below the feed ramp. I tried with only a few rounds in the mag and it still didn't change.

So I went with some regular old commercial ammo and it feed without any problems.

First round fired and the second round failed to feed. I racked the slide and it ejected that round and fed the next. It fired and then failed to feed the next round again. I did the same rack and repeat. Same thing happened but with a twist. It fired the third round and feed the next round but the slide almost completely locked up with the next round halfway chambered. The slide wouldn't go into battery and it would not rack back. Felt like the recoil spring was bound up.

After some hard force to the rear of the slide with my hand, or went into battery. I didn't fire the round and just dropped the mag and racked the round out. I noticed that the slide was very jerky feeling and acted like it wanted to get snagged in several places as i was pulling pack. Then the slide would hang up at the rear most position without a mag instead of shooting back forward again. Just a little bump and it would go back forward again.

I didn't bring a paperclip with me to strip the gun so I went back home. Took the gun apart and couldn't see anything wrong. Disassembled it, relubed, and put it back together and it feels like normal again. Not sure what happened, but I'm not impressed so far.

Find Us On Facebook!
FFL Dealer
Old 04-22-2013, 07:42 AM

"they" those in the know say....give it 200 rounds break-in before you damn the gun. I say the jury is still out on yours.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaLEO View Post
"they" those in the know say....give it 200 rounds break-in before you damn the gun. I say the jury is still out on yours.
I don't know who they would be. There doesn't seem to be too many people with a lot of experience on this gun yet since it just came out.

I understand that a few hundred rounds are needed to "break in" a gun. That being said, failure after failure right out of the box is not something that impresses me. A hiccup every now and then during the first few hundred rounds is completely okay with me. But this was different. I have a Polish P64 that I bought for $150 and it looks to be better made and runs like a sewing machine. So I just can't buy the reasoning that cheaper guns may have more kinks.

Somebody asked for a range report and there it was. Maybe I expect too much from my guns, but I was disappointed in this one after the first trip. I'm hoping that it smoothes out.

Find Us On Facebook!
FFL Dealer
Old 04-22-2013, 09:15 AM

The jerky snaggy slide mystery is concerning. I wonder if that could have be caused by the ( I'm not sure what to call it) little disconnecter bumpy thingy under the slide and just forward of the hammer?
Old 04-22-2013, 09:19 AM

PM me and I will give you the name of my FFL and I will rel eave you of your cheap pistol, for $, it not seem to be the pistol for you. they have been reported to have problems, do a search for the RIA 10 MM.
I am not kidding... I have been looking for a RIA 10MM.to ad to my collection, just got my Tax refund back, do it now before I buy someone else's. I just bought a TCM last week, the money is just about gone better hurry, I am trying to negotiate with another person for his..
Old 04-22-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittum View Post
The jerky snaggy slide mystery is concerning. I wonder if that could have be caused by the ( I'm not sure what to call it) little disconnecter bumpy thingy under the slide and just forward of the hammer?
Didn't think of that, but it really felt like a bound recoil spring. It's almost like the spring is way underpowered and didn't have enough strength to eject the round and load the next one into the chamber. I know most people have been getting a 20lb spring and putting in the gun. But I haven't read any problems like mine associated with the spring though.

It's definitely a mystery. When I got back to the house and stripped and relubed, the gun acts and feels completely normal again.

Find Us On Facebook!
FFL Dealer
Old 04-22-2013, 11:27 AM

I've had my RIA 1911 10mm since they were first available at CTD. It now has over 700 rounds thru it; mostly my handloads. So far no problems. RIA gunsmith did send me a heavier recoil spring and mainspring and I added a Wilson flat bottom FPS. This was done because I was/am shooting some of Underwoods ammo. My only problem to date has been shooting at our indoor range; the gun launches the empties off the walls into the ceiling and about 4 stalls over. Outside they are all at least 15 ft off in the sand. I'm getting another RIA 10mm in the very near future.
Dennis
Old 04-22-2013, 02:35 PM

I have had my RIA 10MM now for about 2 weeks and after close to 600 rounds no problems at all with mine. A 22 pound recoil and an 18 pound mainspring are recommended!!

Sorry for the problems that you are having Olympus.

COTEP Member # CBOB0152
Old 04-22-2013, 03:03 PM

Well it looks like the 10mm has been sold and will be going back to Armscor for some servicing. I guess this is the end of my story. Maybe someone else will be able to pick up where I left off.

Find Us On Facebook!
FFL Dealer
Old 04-22-2013, 08:20 PM

ive heard that RIA is notorious for using under powered recoil springs.....
Old 04-23-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaLEO View Post
ive heard that RIA is notorious for using under powered recoil springs.....
Yes, way under powered. I bought mine when it came available at CTD November 30, 2012 and it had a 16lb spring.

I am a huge fan if the 10mm, I have a S&W 1006 the true work horse of 10mm. When I saw the RIA, I had to buy it because of the 1911 style 10mm. With some minor tweaking I was able to get the RIA 10mm running 100%. It is one nice shooter.

Sorry to hear you sold yours, I can understand the frustration.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:03 PM

I know this thread is a few months old but wanted to thank the OP for the review. I'm a huge 10mm fan and looking to add a RIA 2011 10mm to my collection.

I currently have a Colt Delta Elite that I paid a lot more for than the RIA is selling for and even it had issues at first. First trip to the range was frustrating to say the least. But now that I've put about 1000 rounds through it the Delta Elite runs like a champ. Can't remember the last time I had a malfunction.
Glock 20, Colt Delta Elite, Norinco SKS-D, AK47, Marlin 795 .22LR, CZ 452 LH .22LR, Colt M4 .22LR, S&W M&P-15 Sport, Remington 700 SPS LH 300 Win Mag, Winchester 1300 Defender 12ga, Winchester 1300 Black Shadow 20ga

Coming soon: Ruger SR1911
Old 09-14-2013, 09:52 PM

No problem.

No word from RIA on when they will be releasing the 2011 model in 10mm. I've talked to the gunsmiths about this.

Find Us On Facebook!
FFL Dealer
Old 09-15-2013, 12:36 AM

Just an FYI . Went to local gunshow today to just browse around. Ended up buying FS tactical II .45. But while looking I came across a few 10mm versions. And they were absolutely horrible. Horrible in the fitting specifically. Slide to frame fit back by the hammer was not smooth at all. And the worst were the barrels. I don't know the actual name for the part but the cut on the back of the barrel that leads to the hood looked like stairs. I mean literally the cut went up half way and then it looked like someone adjusted back a couple of millimeters and finished it. I could stick a quarter in the gap.

I came across numerous different ones from different people that were cut this way. One of them at least had the decency to mark the price down on it.

I literally went through about 4 different sellers till I found a .45 version that was fitted well. So it was not just one guy trying to shakedown noobs.

Now it may just be that since they sell so quickly only the crappy ones were left. But if had bought one online and that is what showed up I would be pissed.

Last edited by krait1; 09-15-2013 at 02:19 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:55 AM

Ramp hump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krait1 View Post
Just an FYI . Went to local gunshow today to just browse around. Ended up buying FS tactical II .45. But while looking I came across a few 10mm versions. And they were absolutely horrible. Horrible in the fitting specifically. Slide to frame fit back by the hammer was not smooth at all. And the worst were the barrels. I don't know the actual name for the part but the cut on the back of the barrel that leads to the hood looked like stairs. I mean literally the cut went up half way and then it looked like someone adjusted back a couple of millimeters and finished it. I could stick a quarter in the gap.

I came across numerous different ones from different people that were cut this way. One of them at least had the decency to mark the price down on it.

I literally went through about 4 different sellers till I found a .45 version that was fitted well. So it was not just one guy trying to shakedown noobs.

Now it may just be that since they sell so quickly only the crappy ones were left. But if had bought one online and that is what showed up I would be pissed.
I have very little expereince but I do remember reading that there is supposed to be hump in the ramp to nudge the nose of the bullet up. I think I read this on a post about polishing the ramp? Just FYI
Old 09-15-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krait1 View Post

Well, I guess you can always go pay X2 for Colt Delta Elite, and enjoy great fit of the slide - which BTW have NOTHING to do with how gun cycle or accuracy.

Its 1911 chambered in 10mm that is affordable. Sure, it may not be fitted well like High end guns.

But then no one expect Hyundai to look like Lexus.
But Hyundai will get to point A to Point B, just like Lexus would...
Old 10-15-2015, 05:11 PM

Thanks for the write up. I had a yearning for a 10mm and bought a used Springfield Omega. The thing looks like quality but I haven't had an opportunity to shoot it yet. I think the 10 on paper looks awesome. We will see.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denclaste View Post
I've had my RIA 1911 10mm since they were first available at CTD. It now has over 700 rounds thru it; mostly my handloads. So far no problems. RIA gunsmith did send me a heavier recoil spring and mainspring and I added a Wilson flat bottom FPS. This was done because I was/am shooting some of Underwoods ammo. My only problem to date has been shooting at our indoor range; the gun launches the empties off the walls into the ceiling and about 4 stalls over. Outside they are all at least 15 ft off in the sand. I'm getting another RIA 10mm in the very near future.
Dennis
The long distance of ejected shells is due to a too light recoil spring and/or
mainspring. I use a 20# recoil with a 26# mainspring on my Kimber TLE,
Dan Wesson PM10-S and Colt Delta Gold Cup, and my weapons fire very
nice, with the shells flying about 12 feet. I do have flat firing pin stop
plates on all of them too.

I fire the hot Underwood and Double Tap ammo with this tuning , and when
I fire "lesser ammo" I just use a 16# or 18# recoil spring.

Last edited by CDMCKY; 09-06-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:02 AM

> the ridiculous amount of oil all over the gun

RIA sells guns in many countries. Each shipment to the USA sells out quickly, but they might sit in a warehouse or storage room for months or years in some places, often without climate control. You can always clean an oily gun, but someone along the vendor chain is going to take it in the wallet if it comes out of the box with rust on it.