Concealed Carry Weapons - Page 4 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-03-2018, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Like most of you I have gone through countless concealed-carry firearms over the years, trying to find "the one". While I'm sure my inventory will continue to evolve currently I have a Kahr P380 that's on me virtually all the time, while a S&W MP2.0 Compact is the usual EDC when I'm not going for absolute discreet carry. If my Taurus PT-111 continues to prove reliable after its trip back to the mother ship I may end up switching to it instead.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apipeguy View Post
Thinking of picking up this 2mm pinfire for ease of carry.
I would love to have one of those but most are very expensive. They are a lot more powerful than one would expect put they probably be less affective than a dart.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apipeguy View Post
Thinking of picking up this 2mm pinfire for ease of carry.
They still make and sell these little 2mm and 4mm pinfire and rimfire guns too. All of them are extremely cute too.
ref https://pinfireguns.com/

I like the mini 1911 and mini Beretta semi-autos in 4mm Flobert too. But alas, very doubtful for self defense though. But you could empty the thing into an assailant and then while he is cussing, run like heck.

Last edited by earlwb; 11-04-2018 at 06:19 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-04-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Like most of you I have gone through countless concealed-carry firearms over the years, trying to find "the one". While I'm sure my inventory will continue to evolve currently I have a Kahr P380 that's on me virtually all the time, while a S&W MP2.0 Compact is the usual EDC when I'm not going for absolute discreet carry. If my Taurus PT-111 continues to prove reliable after its trip back to the mother ship I may end up switching to it instead.
Kahr PM9 for me mostly 24/7 except in cool weather where I can carry my 1911s.
WC TSG 9/45 Vickers Elite 9mm EDC X9/Nighthawk Classic Bob Marvel SS 9mm/EB PATRIOT 3 EB KC/KC LW/SACS TGO-1 PC9111 Nowlin PC9111R PC9102 Nowlin PC9104/Colt SCGRG SCGRGC M45/Anvi III /MEUSOC 1911/1943 Ithaca/Les Baer 1.5 TR NRA Life Member
Old 11-04-2018, 08:24 AM

After years of carrying a 1911, I find myself choosing a Shield, P938 or LCP on most days.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:48 AM

I change carry guns fairly often.

Probably not the best thing to do. But I do it any way. Lately it is a S&W model 67 in an El Paso Saddlery Sky six holster.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall M View Post
Just for the record

EDC = Springfield Armory Range Officer Compact .45 ACP
rig = Milt Sparks IWB SS2

WA state prohibits knives 3" or greater blade length

Whereas Nearby Idaho - 18 and over can carry knives, & other

which is one of the reasons WA State doesn't recip. with Idaho on
CPL/CWL Idaho does recognize Wa state CPL and Idaho Residents can
apply for a WA st Non-Resident CPL

R- .
This is not 100% accurate. Idaho honors Washington's CWL, and Washington honors Idaho's Enhanced CWL (not the "regular" CWL, or, of course, Idaho's constitutional carry). Knives (and AOWs) are a different story. https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ccw...p/id-gun-laws/

As to the OP, there is nothing wrong with the realization that the Shield is a great CCW choice. Over 1,000,000 people agree with you (it was the #1 handgun sold in the US for 2 years IIRC). Switching from our beloved 1911 .45acp is hard to do, but once you realize you're still "safe" with a plastic 9mm, and you will shoot more (since 9mm ammo is so cheap), it gets easier. I typically carry a version of S&W's M&P 9mm. As people stated before me, I start with the biggest I can conceal that day, and work my way down to the Shield if needed. This keeps "it all in the family" and I shoot each of these firearms regularly enough, that even switching from a 4.25" M&P to the 3.1" Shield is largely negligible on the range - it took (takes) lots of training and practice to make this happen, but it was/is worth it.

Last edited by motorsporting; 11-04-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:49 PM

I still carry a .45 most of the time. But I switched to a subcompact Springfield XD Mod.2. It holds 8+1, uses a grip safety still too. The recoil even with +P ammo is quite nice still. Plus I find it to be quite accurate. I can slip it into my pants pocket no problem. Of course I wear pants with large pockets, such as the Duluth brand for example. It also is easy to use with a Alien or White Hat IWB holster too. If I load up the magazine with mostly the Ruger ARX rounds, the weight reduction is quite pleasantly nice as well. But I also have a small S&W 9mm too. But it is about the same size as the XD Mod.2 though. In the summer when I am in shorts and T-shirts a lot, I carry a S&W Bodyguard .380 in my pocket.

Last edited by earlwb; 11-04-2018 at 07:51 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 11-05-2018, 07:10 PM

I carry my S&W 6904 in my right front pocket of my Carhardtt work pants. The pants have a slash pocket, and the pistol fits perfectly without the need for a holster. It draws smoothly without snagging. The best part is that it is lighter than my Kimber Pro Carry while holding twice as many rounds.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy1911 View Post
I've been carrying a Dan Wesson CCO in 38 super out of their custom shop

Attachment 539664
Ooh...me likey. Me likey a LOT!!
Old 11-13-2018, 07:55 AM

Hey, this is THE 1911 FORUM; how dare any of
you (here) carry anything else...

Old 11-13-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
To be brutally honest, a large percentage of the gun carriers in my neck of the woods are pretty easy to spot, as they typically are so sloppy that their firearm is often left in plain view as their clothing rides up over it the moment they bend over or reach for something. I've seen it happen several times.

And then there was an off-duty cop I once helped in a store where I worked, who was dressed in a suit yet the butt of his gun printed noticeably. If that wasn't enough of a hint you could hear the creaking of his leather from a mile away.
Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder (the one with Talc). Squeak-no-more. Also makes the interior of the holster smoother and slipperier.

My favored carry is one of my revolvers. Cartridges are most often from the 38 family, 38New Colt (38 S&W), 38 Special, sometimes 357 but not often. Snubbies reign, new and old from a 1955/56 Chief's Special or 1980 Detective Special to newer models like a 642 Airweight, Taurus 605 Poly or Charter Arms Undercover. I have other often more popular choices like the 1911 format or P-35 format and even striker fired models and larger revolvers but simply feel more comfortable and secure with the smaller wheel guns.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:04 PM

Shield 40 in weak hand front pocket is a 2nd option* to the 10mm 1911 I'm carrying IWB
Option to put my hand on it without revealing I'm carrying
Old 11-14-2018, 08:31 PM

I use to carry my DW guardian in 45 all the time but lately have been carrying my recently acquired sig P365.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:27 PM

I bought a Glock 43 for the summer something I could take to the beach for clamming or wear with shorts and a t shirt. unfortunately without an extended magazine I don't shoot it as well as I like. So unless I carry it appendix it prints as much as my Hi power. It's a dependable accurate firearm I need to buy a decent commander sized 1911 and have it bobbed I'm just so used to my Hi power or my 1911s it's tough to warm up to anything else
Old 11-19-2018, 05:41 PM

I'm a 1911 guy, including daily carry.

But sometimes, for some of "us", something smaller is necessary. Or go without. The latter situation spurred me to look for an alternative about two years ago.

In these situations, or for someone who always needs something of a very compact nature, I agree with the OP that the Shield is a good choice.

And a lot of other good choices have been mentioned in this thread. Good stuff.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself