1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-03-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmiller View Post
Been building my own for quite a while now. And you're right about the customer service.
Actually, I misspoke on that. I cannot factually state that my customer service is the best in the world. Truth is, I've never had to contact them.
You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAYHEM* View Post
Actually, I misspoke on that. I cannot factually state that my customer service is the best in the world. Truth is, I've never had to contact them.

In actuality, are you “building” them, or “assembling” them?
I got called out once since I simply buy the parts and “assemble” them. I was told that I needed to start with an 80% lower and mill and drill in order to call myself a “builder”. I still call myself a builder if the present company is none the wiser!!
Old 11-04-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post

In actuality, are you “building” them, or “assembling” them?
I got called out once since I simply buy the parts and “assemble” them. I was told that I needed to start with an 80% lower and mill and drill in order to call myself a “builder”. I still call myself a builder if the present company is none the wiser!!
Technically you are not a "Builder" until you complete one from bar stock. But I still consider myself a builder as I don't use entirely orthodox methods for fitting parts. Some people call me crazy, but it works for me and they can't argue with the results.

On the other hand, "Assembler", to me, means you bought all pre-fitted parts and stuck them together.
You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyunker45 View Post

What's the best, and I mean the BEST lube?
Front door - Astroglide Diamond

Back door - Anal-Ese
Old 11-06-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAYHEM* View Post
Technically you are not a "Builder" until you complete one from bar stock. But I still consider myself a builder as I don't use entirely orthodox methods for fitting parts. Some people call me crazy, but it works for me and they can't argue with the results.

On the other hand, "Assembler", to me, means you bought all pre-fitted parts and stuck them together.
I follow......
You’re not going crazy and welding lugs on Rem VTR barrel are you??
Or inventing a new mid/rifle gas tube outta brake line?
None of my business.........carry on.........
Old 11-06-2018, 12:44 PM

For me buying a lower priced 1911 is like buying a used one, but I have been happy with a couple ROs I bought back at the end of 2014 and start of 2015. DWs are nice but they DO seem to sink in value when used even if they are LNIB so again one can find great deals on used ones. That is comparing them to Colts where a barely used one is not that much less than a new one.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:24 AM

I am NOT an expert on 1911's. However I have owned a few and used them in competition (USPSA Limited 10). My Kimber Raptor and Eclipse only gave me trouble with my obsession with JHPs. Short stints with Ruger and S&W were fine also. Two Sig 1911's were great; Stainless Super Target and Max Michel model. The only 1911 that gave me grief was a Colt. I sold it immediately and bought a Dan Wesson Bobtail. My opinion is the DW is the best of the bunch. If I was still shooting in competition The Sig would be my go to. BTW . . . you worried about the gun going bang every time? Buy an H&K.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:10 PM

I own 2 DW's, a Colt, an RIA (Gave my first one to my brother, had to have another) a Springfield, 2 Olympus arms and am likely missing some.

Comparing Colt to DW? That's nuts. My Colt came with a pasticrap MSH, garbage! I'd compare Colt to RIA, which wins hugely because it has no plastic and costs way less.
If get plastic and MIM I don't want to pay Colt prices.
My Dan Wessons are personal treasures. If a Colt is worth $800 then a DW should be worth $3000.
416 stainless Sig P-238 & P938 triggers
Old 11-11-2018, 11:58 AM

I have Colts', Kimbers', Springfields', Dan Wessons' and I've
owned Wilsons', Les Baers', STIs', and other brands.

I'm a decent 1911 (amateur) gunsmith, so I can take a good
"production" 1911 and make it look/work real nice, so I do
not need to spend big $ on high price pieces, though they
are very nice and (I understand) hold more value to those
who don't have the skills/time to put a little work into
"lesser" 1911's.

If you can learn some basic skills you can do quite a bit with
a "production" 1911....
Old 01-15-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1911 View Post
For me buying a lower priced 1911 is like buying a used one, but I have been happy with a couple ROs I bought back at the end of 2014 and start of 2015. DWs are nice but they DO seem to sink in value when used even if they are LNIB so again one can find great deals on used ones. That is comparing them to Colts where a barely used one is not that much less than a new one.
Yes, they do. I haven't owned a Colt for a while, but the last two I had both sold for darn near what I paid for them. DWs don't hold their value as well, perhaps because people would rather buy a new one than used..I dunno.

My R.O. Elite Operator 9, Loaded target 9s, and R.O. Compact 9 all ran perfectly out of the box and are excellent shooters.

That said, for what some of the DWs are going for these days, I'll take another 2011.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:02 PM

Almost all can be had for a lot cheaper price when used. Firearms should be bought for enjoyment. Not for what the resale value may be. Check out what this one sold for.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/795963944
Old 01-16-2019, 06:52 AM

Ya really hafta keep it in perspective. A descent gun purchased 20 years ago is worth at least what you paid for it. Unless of course you have abused it or shot it out. I’m not talking cheap cloned stuff or plastic Glocks made by the millions. Although, a descent Glock 20 years ago was probably $250 so there ya go.
Guns bought 2 years ago are naturally going to depreciate. They’ll go the other way in time. “Flipping” new guns will not make you rich!
Old 01-16-2019, 12:14 PM

I have two of the Springfield 5" Loaded Model. They have been very reliable and more accurate than I am. I have been very happy with them, for the price I paid for them.

However, I agree that they are not the best when it comes to fit and finish. While the slide to frame fit is good and tight, BOTH of them slightly rub the front of the slide on the right side, in front of the right side frame rail. Yes, that is right, both of them rub on the same side. It is not very much and you do need to look in order to notice it. No, it doesn't impact the functionality or accuracy of the guns, so I do not see it as an issue, but it is there.

Also, neither of them have a flush fitting of the extractor at the rear of the slide. Both stick out just a little bit. Again, this is something you have to look for to see, but it is there.

As a serviceable tool, they are fine and work well, but the fit and finish is not what I would really like to see.

I have been very happy with them, but I think my next one will be a Wilson Combat, when I can afford it.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:10 PM

Did someone say Dan Wesson ? yes, please, two from their custom shop. A few dollar more and you can spec out some nice options although I did provide the front sight and the slide-release, trigger and safety are WC bullet proof parts.

And, oh, it's in 38 super

Click image for larger version

Name:	0111191507.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	348.9 KB
ID:	544920
I'm a 1911 addict -- 9mm's: Benchmark Precision bobtail, Volkmann Combat Carry, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, WC Sentinel Compact, WC ULCC, WC Bobtail Professional, WC EDC X9S, NH T4, NH Counselor, Staccato C and a G43 -- 38 Super's: GI Government, WC Professional, WC Stealth, WC CQB Elite, DW CBOB, WC Sentinel Compact and a mid 70's Colt Commander (for a build, off to NH already)
Old 01-16-2019, 03:50 PM

Everyone has an opinion on which is the best brand of 1911. Time and time again it has been discussed here. I think it is pretty much the luck of the draw with a production line pistol. Sure the high line Wilson, Brown and the like will undoubtably be higher quality.
With Colt, Sig, Springfield, Kimber and the like it all depends what the buyer has had good luck with.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:52 PM

Are we to assume on face value that these new Vigil's will be everything that a Valor has proven to be despite the lower cost?

Or has DW just eliminated the the Valor because they could no longer make money selling such a high quality product for the price they were, and are now substituting a similarly named, but inferior product, which will offer them a higher profit margin?

Informed 1911 enthusiasts want to know!
Old 01-16-2019, 06:09 PM

Kinda like BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac... storied manufacturers that are not perfect and every one of their service departments are full of new cars with warranty repair issues. Betcha DW got a few returns waiting to be serviced.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:11 PM

I'm going to reserve judgment on SA. My loaded (.45) only has 12,000 rounds through it with zero issues. I'll run another 12K or so before I decide if it's any good.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post

The last two Range Officers I bought are the reason I'll never buy anything
from Springfield Armory again.
Same here. Bought a 9mm RO Commander and it was very inaccurate. Sent it back to Springfield and it shot exactly the same when I got it back. Sold it and bought a DW Valkyrie Commander. Night and day difference in fit, finish and especially accuracy. Ended up with a ECO in 9mm and it's just as good as the Valkyrie.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1racefan View Post
Same here. Bought a 9mm RO Commander and it was very inaccurate.
Curious. Inaccurate how? Spread groups? Shot high?
Old 01-17-2019, 05:25 AM

Building a 1911 or any gun......

Quote:
Technically you are not a "Builder" until you complete one from bar stock.
Most firearms enthusiasts use the term...."the gun was built by" or "I built the gun myself" to mean the parts were custom fitted as opposed to a production gun.

Even contractors that build custom homes don't make all the parts for the home....such as roof trusses, toilets-sinks-bathtubs, doors, etc. Yet they are called "builders" and not "assemblers."

When I bought an accurized 1911 .45 in the mid 1970's, the gun was built by the late Jim Clark, Sr., out of Keithville, LA. I would never use the term "the gun was assembled" by the late Jim Clark Sr.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:02 AM

I'm still struggling with the purpose of this thread.......?????
Old 01-17-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post

Funny but it's threads like this that I looked at when determining which brand of 1911 I wanted to purchase. Granted some threads had more meat on the bone with a bit more detail but I did find them rather helpful.

As with anything it certainly can be said that any of these brands may go bang when you fire them but as with anything I purchase that's not the only reason I'll make my final decision. Some may but I'm looking for a bit more than it will just go bang.

Quality control, service after the purchase, warranty, performance, fit finish, and customer satisfaction. How well does the product I'm considering compare to other products of the same type and what others think who have more experience than I. As I pay more exactly what can I expect to get and how does it compare to other guns within that same price range. Which ones are worth it and which ones are not.

So discuss if you wish and don't if you care not too. But I always thought a forum about 1911s might actually be the place where people who supposedly have greater experience than I might help me to understand those details and differences. Different things appeal to different people for various reasons but details do matter, or they do at least to me.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Colt best gun ever. Everything is not worth it and overhyped.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker2237 View Post
colt best gun ever. Everything is not worth it and overhyped.
lol!