1911 and backup?? - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-09-2018, 01:24 PM

I carry a 2nd option (option to put my hand on it without revealing I'm carrying)
Carried in weak hand front pocket, handy if something happen to dominant hand/arm.
My left (weak) hand shoots the Shield 40 and XDs 45 acceptably.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:41 AM

I find it somewhat interesting that while this thread is going on we have a shooting where 12 are dead, many injured and people are talking about only carrying if they are in a bad area or 5 rounds are plenty etc. now I don’t go to bars and at night I’m at home but what if you had been in an identical situation where you live? Wouldn’t have to be a bar, could be church, restaurant, Walmart, you name it. I don’t want to come up short when peoples lives are on the line. I know when I have my NAA 22 mag as my second gun that it’s not much but it’s a hell of a lot more than nothing. Those counting on good fortune to take care of business with 3 shots? Well, your luck ran out when you were in a mass murder scenario. I’m not gonna count on luck. When things start going bad it often all goes to hell.

I’m not attempting to shame anyone but I would rather be with people that do what they can to carry if legal, maybe even if it’s frowned on by the establishment. An empty/ jammed gun makes a bad hammer. Stay safe!
Old 11-10-2018, 08:49 AM

TheRaven I do carry a 1911 occasionally but find no reason a second handgun is required with a 1911 over , say a 18 round 9mm but you did mention a 1911 . My EDC is a 13+1 filled with fast 155gr 40sw ammo in a sig p320c with two back up full size mags . I have carried a back up before , a kahr cm9 as a old work handgun mainly but it was many years ago . I practice clearing a jam and changing mags , I practice left handed shooting if needed and drawing from my normal holster with weak hand and I also carry and practice in the early evening a 960 lumen light that when set to strobe in daylight conditions at shorter yardage it can reduce or limit your short term vision and a I carry and practice with a ZT0350 knife that can brought to the ready very quickly if needed .

IF you feel you need a back up handgun then carry on but it should not matter what we carry or how many .

I don't drink at all so I avoid bars ! I avoid business that are anti firearm . I never liked crowds of people so even when young I avoided gatherings and other congested areas and in 32 years of concealed carry I have yet to clear a handgun from its holster but only two occasions when I did cover the grips . Only time I don't have a handgun on me is when in our home but even then one is close by or when in a government center or at a doctor/hospital but at least I have my knife and flash light there .
Old 11-10-2018, 08:59 AM

For reasons I have stated before I almost always do not carry a 1911. My EDC is one of various H&K's that so far have never failed. My favorites are either a P30 or P2000 in .40. I hope I never need more than 13 rounds but will occasionally carry an extra mag. Sometimes in the winter I will carry my Sig P226 in a Miami Classic shoulder holster but it's rare. I do try to carry a 1911 sometimes on a rare occasion (DW Bobtail) and then I always carry an additional mag.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny handgun View Post
I find it somewhat interesting that while this thread is going on we have a shooting where 12 are dead, many injured and people are talking about only carrying if they are in a bad area or 5 rounds are plenty etc.
Its not just this thread.
I frequently see lackadaisical attitudes toward carry, rationalizing the minimum or even going unarmed when its a choice.
Good area, daylight, statistics, expectation of superior marksmanship, incapacitation with one or two hits ...
The degree that some dismiss examples as nothing remotely applicable to them is surprising.
If an incident happened in their city, it was on the "bad" side of town; if was on the "good" side it happened at night and they don't go out at night, ect...
This video has generated dismissive comments like:
I don't work in a liquor store
Shot placement wasn't good
Instead of: Dang, dude took 3 or 4 hits and kept coming.
Trying to change lackadaisical attitudes with examples like video is like trying to stop global warming by leaving the fridge door open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcJcwKsgOwE
Old 11-10-2018, 02:58 PM

To each his own, but I apply the old adage "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" to both the primary and back up gun. Second gun is usually lightweight enough to carry in an ankle holster. I have never had to draw and pray I never do, however I feel I've done all I could when carrying a back up.

Maybe I am paranoid, but even paranoids are right to be worried some of the time.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I find it somewhat interesting that while this thread is going on we have a shooting where 12 are dead, many injured , , ,
Yes , but a crowded public venue is probably the worst scenario. Who's shooting? And returning fire under pressure or panic might result in many other innocents being hit by misses or over-penetration.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:07 AM

I frequently read about people carrying extra mags and back-up guns on this forum and others. I don't recall where I have heard or read of anyone using a back-up gun or reloading in a defensive situation. The only time I have read or heard of reloading was when it was done by the attacker and they also seem to be the only ones that ever go to a back-up gun.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:30 AM

"Criminals" have made attempts on me (several times) over the years, and
I've either taken him/them down with my fists/feet, drawn my 1911 and/or
drawn my 1911 and fired. I've also carried a collapsible baton, and used it a
few times, so if I were to carry anything besides (my usual) 1911 .45 Super,
an extra magazine and a tactical folding knife, I would carry a baton; it's a
useful alternative against 1 or more attackers.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
I find it somewhat interesting that while this thread is going on we have a shooting where 12 are dead, many injured and people are talking about only carrying if they are in a bad area or 5 rounds are plenty etc. now I donít go to bars and at night Iím at home but what if you had been in an identical situation where you live? Wouldnít have to be a bar, could be church, restaurant, Walmart, you name it. I donít want to come up short when peoples lives are on the line. I know when I have my NAA 22 mag as my second gun that itís not much but itís a hell of a lot more than nothing. Those counting on good fortune to take care of business with 3 shots? Well, your luck ran out when you were in a mass murder scenario. Iím not gonna count on luck. When things start going bad it often all goes to hell.

Iím not attempting to shame anyone but I would rather be with people that do what they can to carry if legal, maybe even if itís frowned on by the establishment. An empty/ jammed gun makes a bad hammer. Stay safe!
Based on this line of thinking, we should be walking around with rifles.

Me? I feel fine just with my little old Shield 9mm. Sometimes I bring an extra mag, sometimes I donít.

If others feel better carrying more, good on them.

YMMV.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpus54 View Post
Based on this line of thinking, we should be walking around with rifles.

Me? I feel fine just with my little old Shield 9mm. Sometimes I bring an extra mag, sometimes I donít.

If others feel better carrying more, good on them.

YMMV.
I spent some time in Viet Nam on a Ma Deuce 50 BMG with an M-14 as a backup. I see nothing wrong with contingencies and having backups for backups.

I always carry two guns and on occasion, three guns depending on where I am going and what I am doing.

US Army, Retired
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 11-11-2018, 03:22 PM

Folks make their own decisions on what they carry, when and why. They also make their own decisions on the risks involved and calculate that based on priorities. It can't be any other way.

How many guns does a fella need to carry at work? Well, the bosses say that having a gun at work is grounds for immediate termination. So you make a choice. The small but actual possibility of being shot by a co-worker or a co-workers spouse vs. the more likely chance of being "caught", or ratted out, carrying and then fired for it. This latter is more likely to happen, as it happens all the time to folks, being fired that is, and more frequently than being shot while at work. It's also potentially more dangerous. Most folks being more afraid of losing their income than of being shot.

We all know that at any moment we could be shot dead. Well, at just about any moment. It's more or less likely depending on a number of factors most in our control and some outside of it. Nothing new or alarming there.

Handguns are often the last, and the weakest tools we have to defend ourselves. More important is what happens leading up to that point.

tipoc
Old 11-13-2018, 01:12 PM

Ccw shoulder holstered Redhawk in 41mag. With two speed loaders.

I been thinking about a backup a small cz50/cz70 ankle holster.

When I carried my 1911 I had nine rounds in it with seven extra mags. Night fishing alone.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 11-13-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
When I carried my 1911 I had nine rounds in it with seven extra mags.

7 extra mags , DAMN !
Are you expecting an army of bad guys 24/7 or what .
Old 11-13-2018, 02:23 PM

I live in an area where I am not to worried about being the victim of a mugging. I find if I carry something as large as a 1911 with extra mags, I am less likely to carry. So, my J frame 38 gets the nod as I am going out the door. I am well protected unless I run into 15 crazy Democrats high on pcp or some other drug.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:40 PM

1911 Commander with 2 spare 8 round mags.
Don't see the need for a backup gun.

I mean, what happens if your EDC AND your BACKUP gun break? Are you going to carry a backup for the backup, (in case of the 1 in 10,000,000 chance that it actually happens?)

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 11-13-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt191145 View Post
No, but I carry 5-6 eight round magazines.

I live in the country, so if I am in my truck I most likely also have a rifle or shotgun handy also.
While I live in the suburbs, I do the same. My EDC on my belt is a full sized 1911 in 10mm with two double magazine belt pouches and a fifth spare magazine in one of my pants cargo pockets. Truck has a Glock 17 with two 32 rd magazines, two more spare 10mm 1911 magazines, a box of 50 rds of 10mm ammo, and an AR15 pistol with three magazines. I'm thinking about placing one of my level IV plate carriers in the storage space behind the back seat. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condition One View Post
I live in an area where I am not to worried about being the victim of a mugging. I find if I carry something as large as a 1911 with extra mags, I am less likely to carry. So, my J frame 38 gets the nod as I am going out the door. I am well protected unless I run into 15 crazy Democrats high on pcp or some other drug.
You mean like the mob of antifa jagoff's that showed up at Tucker Carlson's home when his wife was home alone, terrorized his wife, and broke his front door trying to break in?
Old 11-14-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INV136 View Post
While I live in the suburbs, I do the same. My EDC on my belt is a full sized 1911 in 10mm with two double magazine belt pouches and a fifth spare magazine in one of my pants cargo pockets. Truck has a Glock 17 with two 32 rd magazines, two more spare 10mm 1911 magazines, a box of 50 rds of 10mm ammo, and an AR15 pistol with three magazines. I'm thinking about placing one of my level IV plate carriers in the storage space behind the back seat. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Wow. Cant say I'm too worried about situations where I'd need 5 reloads. Frankly, the chances of surviving until you needed that much ammo are even slimmer than needing it in the first place. But if it makes you feel safe, why not.

Quote:
You mean like the mob of antifa jagoff's that showed up at Tucker Carlson's home when his wife was home alone, terrorized his wife, and broke his front door trying to break in?
At home? Well then that's a different story. I do keep an AR carbine near a handful of loaded mags. In case of zombies, normally.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:45 AM

If I were in law enforcement, I could see carrying a backup, say in an ankle holster. However, one 1911 CCO .45ACP plus a spare mag or a Glock 19, for me, that's enough WEIGHT for me to carry on a regular basis even in Milt Sparks holsters and gun belts.

YMMV, but if I have to worry about carrying even more than what I do, maybe I shouldn't even leave the house in the first place.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
The suburbs of Fallujah, I assume.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:09 PM

I always carry a j-frame as a back up. I know that will always go BANG.
WC TSG 9/45 Vickers Elite 9mm EDC X9/Nighthawk Classic Bob Marvel SS 9mm/EB PATRIOT 3 EB KC/KC LW/SACS TGO-1 PC9111 Nowlin PC9111R PC9102 Nowlin PC9104/Colt SCGRG SCGRGC M45/Anvi III /MEUSOC 1911/1943 Ithaca/Les Baer 1.5 TR NRA Life Member
Old 11-14-2018, 05:36 PM

I have a 5" 1911 and a 938. I rarely carry both at the same time but I definitely want both carry options to function the same. A stressful situation is not the time to think about which gun I'm carrying and how it operates.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:50 PM

I always have a .38 stubby on me. On occasion I carry a 1911. That’s not because of need. I love that gun and enjoy spending time with it but I’ll still have my .38 in my pocket. I almost never have a reload. I’m retired and my weekly trip to Walmart and Academy doesn’t stir up my survival instincts.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:43 PM

Colt Mustang .380

I carry a colt officers model for my primary carry. I shoot a full size 1911 for IDPA and carry a colt Mustang .380 for deep cover when I cant carry my officers model. This gives me similar controls and loading for muscle memory. These style of handguns all need tweaking and initially a lot of shooting. Getting some rounds through them and tweaking the extractor and ejector and perhaps adjusting springs depending on how the gun is running is usually necessary. When you have them dialed in they are very dependable.

The Mountains don't care, so we must care; Hammish MacInnes.