9mm used on Bear - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-26-2018, 06:03 AM

Ok, so, the 'safe queen ' Python 357 is tucked away at home, God forbid, it gets scratched.
The front sight filed down on my 9mm....( besides it has a shorter barrel)..).
The can of spam is expired, the bear threw it back at me...
I'm not gonna shoot my son in the knee cap...

So, which 9mm bullet/ round would be better (hypothetically )?

A hollow point SD round (less penetrating) vs a heavier 147gr round ( more penetrating).?
Considering the thickness and density of a bears skin , muscle and bone.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
Ok, so, the 'safe queen ' Python 357 is tucked away at home, God forbid, it gets scratched.
The front sight filed down on my 9mm....( besides it has a shorter barrel)..).
The can of spam is expired, the bear threw it back at me...
I'm not gonna shoot my son in the knee cap...

A hollow point SD round (less penetrating) vs a heavier 147gr round ( more penetrating).?

I have thought heavily on which round I would use. As a proponent of the heaviest round in the heaviest caliber you can control for the situation needed. Man i would use my 45 acp with 200gr critical defense. With Black Bear i have found out by hunting them and how they responded to my shots, I have come down to using 325 grain ftx by hornady for my 45-70 and with my 12 guage Browning Abolt i use Hornady SST 300 grain Slugs. On Brown Bear/Grizzlies I hope that my same ammunition would suffice in a close encounter. I know that one shot will get their attention if it doesn’t kill them right off then the second will tell them exactly where you are. Adrenaline will keep aware what’s happening all the time and I haven’t had to shoot more than twice. I did get queasy when my last Black Bear made to the bottom of my stand. Bears know what pain is and they know to go after what ever made the pain. I have never taken less than a 44 mag as my side arm. I am now thinking of a 10mm because of being semiautomatic and the number of follow up shots. 14 rounds vs 6 rounds does entice me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
God is on the side of the best shots.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:47 PM

9mm Luger load for bear?

Normal carry rd if I carry a 9x19

147 gr. +P Hornady XTP @ 1,100 FPS
Old 10-27-2018, 06:35 AM

Geez. Didn't anyone watch The Revenant?

I like the can of spam idea
Old 10-27-2018, 07:35 AM

I've seen black bear dropped with a single 22 shot. I personally witnessed a momma grizzly take 5 257 Roberts, 5 270 and 3 30-06 at essentially point blank range before she gave up trying to kill us. What makes anyone think the two have anything in common? Same difference between a wiener dog and bull mastiff........

If you are by yourself multiple shots are probably unlikely

What does it take to stop a grizzly? Disassembly
"It is very simple. The model 80 is complete and total garbage only good for melting down to make steel core bullets. The model 70 was handed down from God to JMB in a devine inspiration of gunmaking genius. So take your choice"
Old 10-27-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
Good and interesting point...I am somewhat surprised about all the alleged misses with 357M. Even in full power trim it isn't hard to control with practice. And that perhaps is another key point besides finding one's sweet-spot btwn power and controllability/speed, - practice and train no matter what one shoots (obvious of course)!...I personally wouldn't use a 9mm, but I had a 44mag and realized with full-power loads, it would also be less than optimal for speed and so downgraded to 357M, where even with full-power loads I shoot well. And it does bring a lot of "benefit's" to the table, like a power factor greater than 45 duty ammo and energy levels which are enough to matter. Very similar to 10mm ballistics..

What I took away from this is power doesn't matter without accuracy. I think a lot of people think of a more powerful round as the be all and end all. realistically a 22 makes a crazy loud noise and can (eventually) do enough damage to do it's job. scaring off a bear counts as a win. I would be (and have been) comfy hiking in the lower 48 with everything between a 380, 9mm, 45, 38, 357, depending on the likelyhood of snakes. I have never been alone in grizz country, as that would likely change my mind. But currently I would carry a 1911 in 45 or an M&P 2.0c in 9mm. both with good ammo. I can shoot either fast and accurately, and put enough lead down range to either scare it off or eventually do enough work.

you are more likely to be killed by a cow in America statistically than a bear. so let's not worry about it.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post

You want penetration not expansion. You're trying to go through mountains of muscle, fat, gristle, and super string bones. I would go with hard cast or a solid copper projectile at the highest velocity possible.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:43 AM

If I'm out "in the woods" I'm carrying my Taurus .454 Casull
with 300 gr XTP JHP's (1675/2000)

[IMG]via Imgflip GIF Maker[/IMG]
Old 10-27-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartian View Post
You want penetration not expansion. You're trying to go through mountains of muscle, fat, gristle, and super string bones. I would go with hard cast or a solid copper projectile at the highest velocity possible.
That was my rational, question and point I thought might be correct based on the OP.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:25 AM

This tread started out about a guy that lives in southern lower alllabama black bear country but took a left turn along the way and ended up in grizzle ,brown and still waiting on the polar bear .
Old 10-27-2018, 10:47 AM

9mm?
It's not what I would choose.
I would choose not to get in a fight with a bear.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:00 AM

I do have a 9mm that would probably do the trick. 30 round mag in under two seconds...
Old 10-27-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Joseph View Post
9mm?
It's not what I would choose.
I would choose not to get in a fight with a bear.
Yeah, sure, but maybe the bear will choose differently...
Well, yes, I have a few guns...
Old 10-27-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambidextrous1 View Post
Possible.
Attached Thumbnails
7EA7322A-0286-492E-98B8-1084ABA49240.jpeg  
Old 10-27-2018, 12:05 PM

I read an article a while back about defense against vicious dogs. I only recall the last suggestion, "Offer him your weak arm." Somehow that just didn't seem like a viable strategy.
"A superior man, when resting in safety, forgets not that peril is ever present. When in a state of security, he forgets not that ruin is only a breath away. When all is orderly, he forgets not that chaos ever hovers over him. Thus, his state and clans are preserved." ************************************************** ******************** Confucius
Old 10-27-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
I read an article on how to survive a bear attack in an outdoor magazine.

Step #1 was:

"Don't Panic"

That's the funniest thing I've ever seen in print.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
So I have a 800 pound, 9 foot tall, 3" fanged bear coming at me at 40 MPH.

And I'm supposed to be chill?
When face to face with a bear, yes, chill or die. But I dont expect a kalifornian to understand that

Quote:
Originally Posted by drail View Post
It's not about what caliber you hit them with - it all about where you hit them. If you can't put it in the brainpan or brainstem you're only going to enrage them more. An old guide once told me to never go into bear country alone. If a bear starts chasing you shoot your partner in the leg and keep running.
A friend shot a charging grizz with a 300wm, the bullet entered just above the snout and the bear went down right there. They shook off their jitters and walked over to examine the bear when it started moving again, at which time they unloaded everything they had.

Autopsy showed the first round to the snout followed the bone up and around the skull, exiting the other side. The 1st bullet only knocked him out for a few seconds.

Lesson learned;
- bullet placement was perfect
- energy from the round was more than enough to do the job
- bullet design was terrible for a charging bear! A flat nose bullet would have penetrated the skull
Old 10-27-2018, 01:20 PM

Colt used to advertise the .38 Super as good medicine for protection from wild animals.

The .38 Super ballistics allowed for deep penetration, probably the deepest penetration available from an American handgun in the early 1930s.

Today, there are many more choices available. But a 9mm well placed can do the trick. Russians have even used both 7.62 x 25 Tokarev, and the Nagant revolver cartridge.

With luck, I will never have to put that theory to the test.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:05 PM

A 'manly man' would just roll up his sleeves and fistfight the darn thing...

Old 10-27-2018, 09:02 PM

the bear necessities the simple bear necessities is all you need
Old 10-27-2018, 09:05 PM

Anyone know what the actual ballistics for a .45 black powder ball & cap Kentucky rifle is ?
Old 10-27-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambidextrous1 View Post
If provoked, sure.
However Grizzlies Brownies & Polar Bears don't need provoking.
And I doubt if they'd find a 9mm very intimidating.
There is a reason the term "Loaded for bear" came into parlance.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelbane View Post
Colt used to advertise the .38 Super as good medicine for protection from wild animals.

The .38 Super ballistics allowed for deep penetration, probably the deepest penetration available from an American handgun in the early 1930s.

Today, there are many more choices available. But a 9mm well placed can do the trick. Russians have even used both 7.62 x 25 Tokarev, and the Nagant revolver cartridge.

With luck, I will never have to put that theory to the test.
The Russians in SE Alaska also hunted brownies to extinction on some islands using black powder rifles.
In the 19th century California Grizzlies were exterminated using black powder rifles.
And big lead slugs.
Of course we never hear of those old timey hunters who became a meal for Mr. Bear.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:32 PM

No “9” so please advise!
Trying to get a grip on this bear issue.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
CAD26D03-F4EE-4ED5-8B1F-1A150FDC4FD3.jpeg  
Old 10-28-2018, 04:47 AM

When in bear country.....

I used to hunt mule deer along the Utah/Colorado border which was mountainous terrain. I carried my Weatherby Vanguard 300 Win Mag, and also carried a Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag holstered on my side. I kept three rounds loaded in the rifle, and had six rounds in the Ruger in case of an emergency Fortunately for me, I never had a problem with a bear.....

If I intended to strictly hunt for bear, I would have rather carried a .338 Winchester magnum with 250gr. flat point bullets...... I just don't have any faith in a handgun round stopping a charging bear and living to tell about it......a 9mm caliber handgun would not be my choice, and I would never carry a small caliber handgun in bear country.....whether just hiking, or hunting!
Old 10-28-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Anyone know what the actual ballistics for a .45 black powder ball & cap Kentucky rifle is ?
I bet the Old Army I have does a honest 1k FPS with a full Triple Seven loading and a .457" round ball.

Still wouldn't want to meet any Bear toting just that though.