1911Forum banner

Questions about Colt Series 80

5K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  supervel 
#1 ·
Hello folks. I am a 1911 novice and Rock Island owner, so I must defer to you folks on this one. My boss has a Colt S80, serial FG236xx. I called Colt and they tell me.it is a 1984 year build. It has a collett bushing, GI guide rod, and Packmayr grips. Finish looks to be matte nickel, but the GS, TS, Slide Lock, bushing, and guide rod plug are blued. Is that a common finish configuration for these pistols? There is also the letter P struck on the right side of the trigger guard, I'm not sure if it's important. I am going to take it down and clean it this evening for him, as it hasn't been fired in years. Is there anything I need to be careful with as far as detail stripping is concerned? My Rock is a series 70 style, so I'm a little worried that I might miss something. Thanks for your help!

#4 ·
I know of the Series 70 models that are as you describe, but I honestly haven't seen a Series 80 like it.

#5 · (Edited)
Here is my 70 series in its original satin nickel configuration

I recently saw an 80 series in the exact same configuration on an auction site....Like DSK said until recently I had never seen an 80 in this configuration and even so I have only seen one. Do not use Hoppes #9 or any other solvents to clean it as it will damage the copper under the nickel. Stick with simple CLP...be careful with collet bushing simply leave it on the barrel....The pistol is Satin Nickel and the wrap around grips are the correct grips...there were more commanders built in this configuration than Government models...you may also see an example or two with the magazine matching the controls but by and large the magazines will be nickel also...

ETA: Here is the only Satin Nickel 80 series I have ever seen in this configuration....http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=283883310 Not sure about sights but grips have been changed and grip screws replaced...

#6 · (Edited)
Rod727,
The pistol is exactly as you describe, with two magazines, both nickel.

I detail clean my RIA (parked) in mineral spirits, then oil afterwords. Can I stick with a light solution of dish soap and warm water for the Colt? I took the top end off in the truck, and it's most definitely a series 80 by the existence of the firing pin safety and stamping on the slide assembly. It's also mostly filled with grime and dust. No carbon, and just about dry as a bone.

Thank you all for your posts. Your help is appreciated. I will try to snap a picture or two if I can remember. It's a very nice pistol with little wear. Nickel isn't my style, but it certainly deserves to be cleaned, lubed, and checked out from time to time. My boss isn't a shooter, it was handed down after the death of his brother in law.

Oh, almost forgot... is the arched MSH an original part as well? I would assume so.

Thanks again!

#7 · (Edited)
That is a factory limited edition gun. I know this to be a fact because I new someone who bought one new in the box around 1980. They had two kinds different marking on the grips. The first one had Pachymer the latter ones said Colt, and were subcontracted through Pachymer. These guns in the box and 95 -99% are fetching over a $1000.00 Gunbroker when they sometimes pop up.The one you saw on Gun Broker could be a transition model it is in the right time frame and Colt let them out and reissued them I believe I cold not tell by the picture?If this gun is a transition model with collet bushing and FPS and the two tone with the fist edition grips, it would be very interesting to a Colt collector and may comand a premium price, I have never seen one, ever and do watch for this variaton in paticular.I reread you post I am talking about the gun you described on GB. Is it still up for bid?

#9 ·
The picture I posted was a generic picture of a pistol that looks similar. Not the Colt in my possession, which I will post pictures of tonight.

The grips read Colt, not Pachmayr. It has the FPS, the collet bushing, and Series 80 rollmark.

I don't know the value of the pistol, and the owner has no interest in selling it (I don't think). It's a family piece that just needs some TLC, and I'm the only person he knows with any sort of 1911 experience. And my experience is limited at best.

#12 ·
As I said, and I will re-read to make sure I didn't lead anyone astray, the slide is roll marked as a Series 80, and it DOES have a FPS. I do not believe the pistol to be extraordinary in any way. I'm juat not up to speed on which model the pistol is.

#14 · (Edited)
If all you facts are corect it is. These gun where produced on and off for the reason I stated and it was in the time frame of the transition in 1983. I have never seen and example you are describing, they did not make that many without the FPS either. We will know more when the Hard Corps Colt collecter's see it. I would not have gone out on a limb like this if I did not think I was correct on this example. Never even new this comination was out there or thought about it until you described it. It may not be that valuable now but maybe in the furture due to it rareity?

#13 ·
if you know how to read you will see this.
No need for insults!;)

The pistol in question could fall in this catorgory if it has the FPS. If the slide is rollmarked series70 it cold well be a highy valuable combination. It may be a parts overun gun as many of these where made especially for that purpose I think. That is why it is nickel with left over blue parts. If it has a 70 series slide that was left over and macined for the FPS and the collet bushing that would make it a Double transition gun in an orverun configuration.
I believe you are making too many assumptions here. How would we know it doesn't have aftermarket blue parts on it? Double transition? :biglaugh:

Which would almost make it tripple transition.
Seriously? Triple transition? :rofl:

If you don't understand how rare this could be you may not have followed these guns as closely as I have.
I still believe "transition" and "rare" are over used even if one adds "double" and "triple" to it.:D

Sure would be nice to see some pics, sweptvolume.;)

#18 ·
I have an early MKIV series 80 that I believe is collectible, or will be one day. But only because it is 98-99% and is a .38 Super. However, I think the early series 80s will be collectible down the road as they are almost identical to the original series 70s save the lawyer safety :) As for the OP, that is a pretty unique gun. I'd tell him to hold on to it.

#19 · (Edited)
Ok, so I took it down, wiped it down the best I could(I don't have any CLP or non solvent type cleaners) , lubed it up, and reassembled it (Series 80 SUUUUCKS for a noob like me).

Three things stand out:
1. The collet bushing is SUPER TIGHT.
2. The magazine catch is SUPER TIGHT, and takes quite a lot of effort to get the magazine past it.
3. The thumb safety is SUPER TIGHT and is not easily workable in a firing hold. I attribute that to a dirty, grainy plunger to tube fitment.

I give it about 80% condition, at best. But I'm also not qualified to rate the quality of a firearm. After I get some non-solvent cleaner I feel like I can get it cleaned up more, but it's got small scratches all over it, and a few very small rust spots. Also minor pitting. I think it has been rode hard and put up dry, 6 years ago or more, and not fired since.

There is some wiggle room on the slide to frame fitment, but even after cleaning the rails on the upper and lower, wiping the barrel and collet down, and lubing them up, the action is pretty grainy.

I apologize in advance for the poor photographs. I was under somewhat of a pressed time frame, and I have inadequate lighting, cameras, and skills.

Edited to add my Rock, because I'm not afraid of shameless plugs.

#24 ·
Tell your boss not to change a thing on the pistol...it is a rather unique piece......like I said previously I have seen these and actually own one in 70 series configuration. This is only the second satin nickle Colt with black controls I have seen in 80 series....and it appears to be in original condition...

#25 ·
Will do!
It needs a plunger spring, as the original has a kink that tightens up the thumb safety operation to uncomfortable levels. The magazine catch spring is pretty tight too, but after a thorough cleaning and light lube it's snug but smooth. Nice piatol, I will be sending it home tomorrow.

#26 · (Edited)
Is it the one in the large pictures the gun in question? If it is and has a collet barrel busing it would be a transition 80 series nickel parts over run two tone. If it has a solid barrel bushing it would be a series 80 parts overrun nickel, and nothing special. If it had the Collet bushing with a 70;s rollmark and the FPS it would be interesting for a colllector.PS: With box and papers I would put it at 800-1100 dollar range at this time. It looks to be in 85-90% condition and the box and papers will get you closer to the upper end.

#28 · (Edited)
Yes it is.Head the warning about the hoppe's#9 also. I would take good care or those grips too. I have a set just like them and they are almost unreplaceable in the exact configration. If it were mine I would put some reg, pacs. on it and save those if you are ging to handle it alot. Oil solvents ect. will deteriate them quickly. They are a major point to keep original in this partical model gun. Not many other factory Colt's have the exact grips as these. Save them for resale. Armorall will help preserve them also.PS: I was talking about the grips on the second gun pictured with the rubber lip that extends by the magazine. Yours maybe more common. The one's that don't say Colt on the thumbrest are rare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.