Have you gone to a Red Dot & Comp on your Carry Gun? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-05-2019, 10:29 AM

Have you gone to a Red Dot & Comp on your Carry Gun?

As I get older and find the front sight harder to see, I wanted to try out a slide mounted red dot. I'm also thinking about going with a comp for a flatter shooting gun. Maybe a Glock 19 Roland build.

I use to run an open Glock with a C-more in Steel Challenge, and know a red dot improved my shooting.

Anyone gone this route for a carry gun?
Old 09-06-2019, 05:22 AM

Carry gun with a Red Dot optic

For aging eyes, a red dot is a distinct advantage to acquire an acceptable sight picture to be able to hit where you aim. I do not have an EDC with a red dot, but it certainly wouldn't be a bad idea! It would be a distinct advantage in low light conditions for self defense if the attacker was further than 10-15 yards.....

However, most self defense shootings are statistically 7 yards or less distance...… Over the years, I have trained to draw and index the gun on target very consistently with each draw from the holster. I can pretty much "point shoot" at 5-7 yards with good speed without using the sights and get acceptable hits to COM on an IDPA target.....however, a red dot on an EDC may have advantages in specific situations...…

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 09-06-2019 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:33 AM

There are pro's and con's for Red Dot on pistol...BUT, the overriding decision point is your eyes, if you need one get one, they have advanced far enough to be very usable and reliable.

Someday I may need one, but for now I am aok, so I am sticking with my iron's which I do very well with. No need to add another "gizmo" :-) to the SD system if not needed.

Agree with RW's assessment of SD...I do it a little different, I always like to have the Front sight involved, BUT at say 3y it is very blurry, at 7 yards a little more in focus (But not "hard on the sight" at those distances). It is very, very, fast. With enough repetition's one can do almost anything extremely well. Range and a lot of dry fire. I have found my SIRT trainer pistol a great enhancement to my Dry fire (still use my regular pistols of course too). The SIRTs give you exact feedback on accuracy because of the momentary laser it shoots. Big advantage for dry-fire training at any distance. Excellent tool if you can't get to the range every week.

On the comp, only upside except cleaning them which is no big deal once you pick up a few tips...I've comped some of my 45 gun's the ones I generally shoot a lot at the range. I don't personally have a need to comp my 38S, I like a little recoil as it add's enjoyment to the experience and 38s/9mm are easy caliber's to shoot even on the higher end of the power factor's (for me, YMMV).
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 09-06-2019 at 06:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2019, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Not yet.
I'm still faster up close with irons.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:29 AM

Yes, everything has dots now due to superior speed and more importantly consistent accuracy at all distances.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 09-06-2019, 10:07 AM

I have switched over completely to red dots for EDC. I rotate out between a Gen 5 19 with RMR and Sig 365 with Shield RMSc.

I am 57 and there are none of my custom 1911s with iron sights can compete with either one at 10+ yards in terms of accuracy.

It took a while, but now I am faster and more accurate at speed drills from concealed.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:07 AM

Well, I decided to put together a comped/red dot Glock 19. I should have everything together by the end of the week. I'll see if it's an investment I want to make for other guns.

Now what do I want to sell to afford it?
Old 09-06-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump1567 View Post
Well, I decided to put together a comped/red dot Glock 19. I should have everything together by the end of the week. I'll see if it's an investment I want to make for other guns.

Now what do I want to sell to afford it?
Lower the recoil spring weight 3-5lb if you want the gun to work. Otherwise it will fail to eject like crazy if it's a gen 4/5 gun
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 09-06-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Lower the recoil spring weight 3-5lb if you want the gun to work. Otherwise it will fail to eject like crazy if it's a gen 4/5 gun
Thanks.
I already went through my Glock box of parts and pulled some 13 lb.ers out I had from my competition shooting days. But I'm going Gen 3.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks.
I already went through my Glock box of parts and pulled some 13 lb.ers out I had from my competition shooting days. But I'm going Gen 3.
Sounds good, have fun with the project!
Old 09-10-2019, 04:24 PM

So I got my Comped/Red Dot sighted Glock 19 together. Took it out this morning and put a couple hundred rounds through it. It took about 50 rounds just to get the parts to mesh for reliability with the 15 lb recoil spring I had in it. Than another 150 flawless rounds.

I'm still on the fence about it. Not sure if the Comp really does that much. It did help when It ran some 124 gr +P Gold Dots, but not sure if it did much with the standard 124 target ammo I ran (Geco & Blazer). I know comps need velocity to work right.

And although the Red dot was easier to see, I'm not sure it did much more than Irons. I did like using the suppressor height AmeriGlo sights I added. Overall length is about the same as a Glock 34 now, so it fits in a 34 holster.

I tried to do this on the cheap & have about $900 into it:

G23 frame with 9mm extractor
Brownells G19 Burnt Bronze Slide with Window Cutout (on-sale)
Wolf Alphwolf threaded barrel (on sale)
AmeriGlo Suppressor black sights
ZEV Comp
Magpul magwell
Holosun 507C Optic

Old 09-10-2019, 06:00 PM

I'm not surprised you don't feel much effect with your comp with the low power 9 match load's. When I first got my PPQ-9mm, I started by running the standard 132-power factor ball stuff and I didn't feel any recoil. First shot I was wondering if it was a squib load...With the higher PF duty 9 loads I do feel some recoil though...

My comp's work real nice with my 45 loads though, easy to feel the difference with either standard 230 ball or Duty loads like HST 230. The comp's are integrated with the barrel as one piece, not sure if that makes a dif or not.

Nice looking gun BTW.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 09-10-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
So I got my Comped/Red Dot sighted Glock 19 together. Took it out this morning and put a couple hundred rounds through it. It took about 50 rounds just to get the parts to mesh for reliability with the 15 lb recoil spring I had in it. Than another 150 flawless rounds.

I'm still on the fence about it. Not sure if the Comp really does that much. It did help when It ran some 124 gr +P Gold Dots, but not sure if it did much with the standard 124 target ammo I ran (Geco & Blazer). I know comps need velocity to work right.

And although the Red dot was easier to see, I'm not sure it did much more than Irons. I did like using the suppressor height AmeriGlo sights I added. Overall length is about the same as a Glock 34 now, so it fits in a 34 holster.

I tried to do this on the cheap & have about $900 into it:

G23 frame with 9mm extractor
Brownells G19 Burnt Bronze Slide with Window Cutout (on-sale)
Wolf Alphwolf threaded barrel (on sale)
AmeriGlo Suppressor black sights
ZEV Comp
Magpul magwell
Holosun 507C Optic

That's about right, I have a ZEV Z19 spartan Roland special and the recoil is slightly worse than a CZ Shadow and my 1911s all beat it. Keep in mind it's still a Glock you are using even though it's better now, I have sole informative links to share with you later that go info detail on how exactly comps works and why you are not seeing much with a 9mm. Plus Glocks inherently have high recoil vs metal guns so the comp just about gets them close and only with loadings with a lot of gas volume (pressure) at the actual expansion chamber not chamber.

99% of all factory ammo is designed for minimal recoil in normal gun, aka the least possible amount of powder to get the heaviest possible round to the needed level. A comp wants the opposite.

The ZEV comp also kinda sucks, KKM with their multiple smaller chambers does a very very noticeable reduction as well as makes the gun stop working unless you use +P ammo. My Zev has about the same recoil as my G19 but maybe 20% less rise but the dot makes everything way faster, that's the main benefit really. The comp makes the dot return faster and jerk around less.

Last edited by Striker2237; 09-10-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
That's about right, I have a ZEV Z19 spartan Roland special and the recoil is slightly worse than a CZ Shadow and my 1911s all beat it. Keep in mind it's still a Glock you are using even though it's better now, I have sole informative links to share with you later that go info detail on how exactly comps works and why you are not seeing much with a 9mm. Plus Glocks inherently have high recoil vs metal guns so the comp just about gets them close and only with loadings with a lot of gas volume (pressure) at the actual expansion chamber not chamber.

99% of all factory ammo is designed for minimal recoil in normal gun, aka the least possible amount of powder to get the heaviest possible round to the needed level. A comp wants the opposite.

The ZEV comp also kinda sucks, KKM with their multiple smaller chambers does a very very noticeable reduction as well as makes the gun stop working unless you use +P ammo. My Zev has about the same recoil as my G19 but maybe 20% less rise but the dot makes everything way faster, that's the main benefit really. The comp makes the dot return faster and jerk around less.
Thanks for the info. I wanted the KKM, but didn't want to wait for it. They seem to take awhile to ship. I found this Comp. comparison link and felt the ZEV was a decent compromise.

https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/blog/2...nsator-review/
Old 09-12-2019, 04:23 AM

Comp for flatter shooting gun.....

[QUOTE] I'm also thinking about going with a comp for a flatter shooting gun.[QUOTE]

A comp doesn't make a gun shoot flatter. A compensator used with a round that produces a lot of gas and pressure helps to reduce "muzzle jump." I have a 1911 .38 super Carry comp gun, and it allows me to shoot much faster follow up shots since it negates a significant amount of muzzle jump, therefore allowing faster target acquisition on every shot.....
Old 10-05-2019, 05:22 AM

1911 Carry comp

Here is a picture of a 1911 carry comp .38 super that I have had for over 25 years.....it still shoots great! I use very hot self defense loads, and this gun requires a 26# mainspring to tame the slide velocity to an acceptable level for proper functioning.....it is like shooting a .357 mag, but the single baffle compensator significantly reduces the effect of "muzzle jump" and allows fast follow up shots. It also seems to help reduce the felt recoil.... The gun has a Commander length slide, and with the single baffle comp, it is just slightly shorter in length than a standard 1911 with a 5" slide.....It was my EDC gun for many years, carried cocked and locked with 10+1 rounds in the gun.... I was surprised that not many people back in the late '80's. or even the firearm mfg's, embraced the idea of a carry comp pistol..... I wrote an article about carry comp pistols that was published in Guns and Ammo, which hopefully brought more awareness to non-competitive shooters of the advantages of a carry comp weapon. The gun I most often use for EDC now is an STI 2011 .38 super with hot loads using JHP bullets at roughly 1300 fps. I still carry cocked and locked, but I use 126mm flush fit mags with 16+1 rounds in the gun, with one spare 17 round mag on my opposite hip.
Attached Thumbnails
.38 Super Carry Comp.jpg  

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 10-05-2019 at 05:32 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:03 AM

Dot yes comp no.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post
Here is a picture of a 1911 carry comp .38 super that I have had for over 25 years.....it still shoots great! I use very hot self defense loads, and this gun requires a 26# mainspring to tame the slide velocity to an acceptable level for proper functioning.....it is like shooting a .357 mag, but the single baffle compensator significantly reduces the effect of "muzzle jump" and allows fast follow up shots. It also seems to help reduce the felt recoil.... The gun has a Commander length slide, and with the single baffle comp, it is just slightly shorter in length than a standard 1911 with a 5" slide.....It was my EDC gun for many years, carried cocked and locked with 10+1 rounds in the gun.... I was surprised that not many people back in the late '80's. or even the firearm mfg's, embraced the idea of a carry comp pistol..... I wrote an article about carry comp pistols that was published in Guns and Ammo, which hopefully brought more awareness to non-competitive shooters of the advantages of a carry comp weapon. The gun I most often use for EDC now is an STI 2011 .38 super with hot loads using JHP bullets at roughly 1300 fps. I still carry cocked and locked, but I use 126mm flush fit mags with 16+1 rounds in the gun, with one spare 17 round mag on my opposite hip.

Nice gun. I was having one just like it built for Steel Challenge about 17 years ago. But I didn't want to wait for the build and sold off the parts.

My latest build is going to be a 4 port Glock 34 with Lone Wolf barrel I picked-up. I'm just waiting on an RMR cut slide from Brownells. I put the barrel in my factory G34, and it seemed to have less recoil than the 19 with comp I built. But I really need to do a side by side.

But when I think about, this will just end-up being an open race gun carried for CCW.

Last edited by Dump1567; 10-05-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye fan View Post
Dot yes comp no.

Nice set-up. I've got the P without the HOST. What kind of knife is that?
Old 10-05-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Nice set-up. I've got the P without the HOST. What kind of knife is that?
Thanks. The P is a great pistol I've been very impressed with it. I think the 5" version will find its way into my hands as well.

It' s a Benchmade Infidel.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:23 AM

In the past, I struggled with red-dots on pistols. I have 2 custom Glocks (17 & 19) with RMRs done up by Wes Grant (MSTN) and stippled by Taran Butler. However, lately I have been shooting them more and more and I must admit, I'm converting. I'm finally getting to where I can quickly find the red-dot, and because of the accuracy of the red-dots, I'm shooting better than I ever have. It's all about establishing enough muscle memory to quickly and instinctively find the dot and then exercising good trigger control. It's now become so easy that it's almost like cheating.

I don't expect I'll comp any of my guns, but who knows. But I will definitely not buy another Glock without the MOS feature to enable the mounting of red-dots. I have become very much in favor of true zero optics on handguns and any future Glock I buy will have one. And I love Glocks.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:13 AM

I've recently begun considering an RDS on a G48 or G19 for carry. I've used CCOs in the infantry and various red dots from the inexpensive TRS 25 or AT3 Rd-50 to Holosuns to Aimpoints to know that modern battery operated colminating optics have come a long, long way and are highly unlikely to let you down.

As for comps? Not overly worried about compensating a 9mm for defensive use, but I won't badmouth the fellow considering the option.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 10-26-2019, 03:09 PM

Here's my latest. I decided just to go with a ported G34. That way, I could remove the barrel without taking off the comp. And it seems to have less muzzle rise than the comped 19.

Old 10-29-2019, 10:34 AM

I have just started experimenting with a dot on my carry Glock and the initial results are positive to converting to using for my EDC.

Need to mess with it more on the range and a bunch more dry firing to fully decide. And a new holster to try and some new sights, etc
Old 11-01-2019, 07:57 AM

We have a early M&P core with apex trigger group and a fit apex barrel with a red dot . Was a rmr but changed to a venom for clearer field of view . aand we bought shoot with it occasionally . I used a tube type re dot on a revolver to hunt with since '78 so they feel more normal for me and I have a p320XC I can carry when my eye sight gets worse or my 40sw pistol become to snappy to shoot enough !

If you look at your target and can draw and bring your pistol up to a position you can fire and hit center of chest with out hunting for your stock sights a red dot will be easy .

I've used a variation of flash sight picture style of shooting even when hunting hogs up close with open sights and red dots are far more natural to that style of defensive shooting . If the red dot is anywhere with in the lens but on your point of aim your good to shoot .