east coast legal pocket knife? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-26-2019, 10:18 AM

east coast legal pocket knife?

family is doing an RV trip from Texas to PA and back again, spending nights in Arkansas, Tennessee, West Virginia, and PA. Not doing anything in MD or NY/NJ/Philly but I'm almost certain the double sided auto I carry legally in Texas would be a no-no in some of those places.

Now that we all hate benchmade, what's a decent enough knife that would be legal in those places? I'm thinking manual or assisted opening (unless those are frowned upon). Prefer something with a glass breaker as we'll be spending a bunch of time on the road

I have a Texas CHL and will be legally carrying the whole time (except MD) but just looking for a light/small/under $50 pocket knife for all of those tasks.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:28 AM

Well, it's more than $50, but a Microtech Socom is a great folder. It's got a glass breaker on the other end. It's a 3 7/8" blade. You'll love the knife. Knifecenter.com has them for $275.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:59 AM

I don’t hate Benchmade. I still have many.

I do hate Nike. Have had a ton of their gear $$$$$$ over many years. Don’t have any now.
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2019, 07:45 AM

stevie have you checked a web sight----www.knifeup.com/knife-laws/ Each state is listed about their legality of knives.
Old 07-28-2019, 02:13 PM

NC has some screwed up knife laws too . I had a ZT-0350 for some years , its a little heavy single edge 3.25 blade but its a good knife .

There not getting any cheaper ether -
https://www.smkw.com/zero-tolerance-...ack-g10-handle
Old 07-28-2019, 03:49 PM

Check LOCAL laws , regs , ordinances!

In most states , knife laws are not covered by pre-emption and are covered by local (town/city/township/county) ordinances.

In PA , there is very little in the way of state regs on the carrying of knives.

In Philadelphia however , NO knife is legal.

Quote:
10-820. Cutting Weapons in Public Places. [180]
(1) Definition.
Cutting Weapon. Any knife or other cutting instrument which can be used as a weapon that has a cutting edge similar to that of a knife. No tool or instrument commonly or ordinarily used in a trade, profession or calling shall be considered a cutting weapon while actually being used in the active exercise of that trade, profession or calling.
(2) Prohibited Conduct. No person shall use or possess any cutting weapon upon the public streets or upon any public property at any time.

(3) Penalty. The penalty for violation of this section shall be a fine of not less than three hundred (300) dollars and imprisonment of not less than ninety days.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:18 AM

I was told that in NJ, if you have a butter knife you better be holding the butter in the other hand. I read what I could find, it seemed the rules there are not knife friendly. That was my first, only and last layover there.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:14 AM

Wow, I didn't realize the knife laws where that bad in Phili! Glad that I wasn't carrying my usual toys when I made my tour through there a couple years back.

A Spyderco Delica is a pretty safe bet most civilized places and inexpensive if anything happens to it.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:24 AM

Regardless of whatever the "knife laws" say the determination of whether yours is "illegal" will be made by a cop who likely has his own personal "definition" of what's legal and what isn't. Most cops don't really know the law. A Judge may eventually drop the charges if the cop is wrong but you may still spend a night in a cage (with some really interesting people). Best advice - do not carry a knife "clipped" in your pocket in open view and don't give a cop any reason to search you. Keep a low profile.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:07 PM

No limits on blades in TN. One can carry any kind, any length. They fixed the outdated laws several years back.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:48 PM

There are some good Spyderco options with their thumb hole which makes for a great blade. There are some Buck's that can be had for about what you are looking to spend but personally, I think that this is a perfect excuse for you to step up a bit and get a Small Sebenza...
Old 08-11-2019, 03:07 PM

Kershaw makes some really nice knives & the upper end are made in the states.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:59 PM

steviesterno------ Here's my suggestions for dealing with various state knife laws:

1. Forget the whole Tactical Knife thing altogether. Go for a real vintage, or a new vintage styled knife. Something with a wood or stag handle that looks like grandpa's hunting folder.

Because looking like a citizen of Mayberry compels cops to overlook the letter of the law and move on to juicer, more criminalish targets.

2: Forget the glass-breaker. You don't need it. Just get a $4 brass spring-loaded punch at Harbor Freight. They pop windows instantly. I have one in my truck's ashtray.

The first step in avoiding police attention is to look & act totally square.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:35 AM

Truer words were never spoken.

The first step in avoiding police attention is to look & act totally square.[/QUOTE]

Nice call Mag man!
Old 09-18-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
The first step in avoiding police attention is to look & act totally square.
Superb advice...

In other words, be the average, boring, toxic male!

Sorry Gillette...