1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 12:30 PM

My Lee Classic Turrret is Defective

At least I'm guessing it MUST be defective. I've been using it for about 10 years and have loaded thousands of rounds in several calibers, handgun and rifle.

In that same timeframe I've read a whole lot of folks trashing the machine as nearly worthless and suggesting that unless it's blue, green or different shade of red it is a boat anchor at best.

I can report that I'm still on the original black plastic square ratchet (a supposed weak link), I prime on press without issue, use only Lee dies without a failure or problem, and in general find the machine to be built plenty strong enough and plenty reliable enough for all my ammo needs.

Therefore, there must be something amiss with this press, as so many 'experts' out there assure me I'm doomed.

I could be mistaken - LOL

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-12-2019, 03:14 PM

Ha.. good one... yeah, I say trash it now. Iím at about 8k myself and, as well, think mine must be a bad machine... I think I dropped 3 to 4 primers during those 8k rounds. Bad performance... Ha
Old 01-12-2019, 03:17 PM

I am pleased with my Lee Turret Press. I use mind as a single stage press. I hand prime. The powder drop mechanism is OK. It could be better. However, my loads are for plinking, paper and steel targets. I donít need the precision for my purpose.

I like making my own ammo and I enjoy the process and gives me something to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2019, 04:20 PM

I use lee presses never a problem, there dies and accessories too.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 01-12-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
At least I'm guessing it MUST be defective. I've been using it for about 10 years and have loaded thousands of rounds in several calibers, handgun and rifle.

In that same timeframe I've read a whole lot of folks trashing the machine as nearly worthless and suggesting that unless it's blue, green or different shade of red it is a boat anchor at best.

I can report that I'm still on the original black plastic square ratchet (a supposed weak link), I prime on press without issue, use only Lee dies without a failure or problem, and in general find the machine to be built plenty strong enough and plenty reliable enough for all my ammo needs.

Therefore, there must be something amiss with this press, as so many 'experts' out there assure me I'm doomed.

It's not the press that's defective.

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 01-12-2019, 11:09 PM

I have used Lee products since day one reloading. Have no issue with them. Handed down my Lee Challenger press to my son. It had loaded 1k's of rounds of rifle and handgun ammo. Yes I still use a Lee die set or 2! I must REALLY be unlucky to have used so many "defective" Lee products
Old 01-13-2019, 05:37 AM

I too have used Lee equipment for all my reloading since day one. They will even make reasonably priced custom dies for those calibers not offered in the catalog. It doesn't hurt my head that their prices are low compared to the other colors out there.

Sent from my PRC-25

Old 01-13-2019, 07:52 AM

I'm still using an old 3 hole turret press that I bought in 1983. It developed a crack where a roll pin went through the frame a few years back. I called Lee and they told me to send it in and they'd evaluate it and quote me a price for the repairs. A couple weeks later they called and said it was fixed and on it's way back to me. I asked about cost of fixing it and they said there is "no charge". It's still working today and I'm still buying Lee products. Good company.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:00 AM

I think it is rather rare for people to trash the turret or single stage presses. The dies are fine and many of the items they make are perfectly acceptable for most folks.
The trouble began when Lee decided to enter the world of the progressive press. It absolutely DOES NOT compare to the red alternative, Big Blue or the green stuff. These things are the biggest piles of crap ever assembled for public sale!
I say we let Pelosi and Feinstein claim a win and allow them to ban them since these things are capable of taking a perfectly good cartridge and spitting out an unrecognizable finished product. We could call it a Ghost Bullet maker!
Old 01-13-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
... I've been using it for about 10 years and have loaded thousands of rounds in several calibers, handgun and rifle...I can report that I'm still on the original black plastic square ratchet (a supposed weak link), I prime on press without issue, use only Lee dies without a failure or problem, and in general find the machine to be built plenty strong enough and plenty reliable enough for all my ammo needs.
My experience has been the same as yours. Been using my Lee Turrent and dies for many years now with no problems.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texagun View Post
My experience has been the same as yours. Been using my Lee Turrent and dies for many years now with no problems.
Have been using the Lee press for over thirty years and love their dies. Good people to do business with.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:01 AM

Lee Loadmaster Performance

I bought a Lee Loadmaster off ArmsList 3 yrs. ago. It was literally a box of parts & pieces. I took a flyer on it. The seller was local & the price was right. With some internet tutorials & a few items from Titan Reloading, this unit hums along like a Swiss watch. Yes, it took some tweaking & fiddling, and a healthy dose of patience, but it was a good wintertime project. I'm presently in the market for a second one so I can leave the first one dedicated to .45 acp. So if there are any disgruntled Lee Loadmaster owners out there looking to cash out, please give me a shout!!!
Old 01-14-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyJK View Post
I bought a Lee Loadmaster off ArmsList 3 yrs. ago. It was literally a box of parts & pieces. I took a flyer on it. The seller was local & the price was right. With some internet tutorials & a few items from Titan Reloading, this unit hums along like a Swiss watch. Yes, it took some tweaking & fiddling, and a healthy dose of patience, but it was a good wintertime project. I'm presently in the market for a second one so I can leave the first one dedicated to .45 acp. So if there are any disgruntled Lee Loadmaster owners out there looking to cash out, please give me a shout!!!
I'd bet you also like poking yourself in the eye with a sharp stick!

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 01-14-2019, 08:15 AM

I guess I'm spoiled my first Lee press I bought in the late 80s which is still running on my bench and my second Lee I bought because I'm lazy and didn't want to switch calibers so I run 40s on one and 45s on the other. Also have single press 4 rifles. So my crap is running pretty good!
Old 01-14-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGC View Post
I'd bet you also like poking yourself in the eye with a sharp stick!
And stepping on rusty nails while wearing my Converse High Tops😂 Actually, I spent 40+ yrs. in maintenance, repair, & overhaul, so I'm always up to a mechanical challenge. Plus, Lee is manufactured right here in Cheese Head country, so it's good to support your local businesses & manufacturers. Lee's ingenious engineering methods do keep the costs down, & I've got more time than money, so it's a great fit all the way around.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:44 AM

Relocating my tongue from my cheek for a moment, no one would seriously doubt that Camdex make the best ammo factory for garage use....but few of us are willing to part with $30K+ to own one and claim the associated bragging rights. The next level of users would be those of 'thick wallet' who opt for one of Dillon's jim-dandy blue machines, especially those with the realistic ammo needs to match the output. A bit thinner in the wallet area? Hornady, RCBS etc have great offerings.

For the 'majority' of casual reloaders/shooters out there, of average wallet dimension, especially those who don't need to make a year's worth of ammo in an hour or two, Lee has created a thriving industry spanning near 60 years, making reloading gear 'for the masses'. If Lee wasn't there, I suspect a whole lot of us would never have taken up this fine hobby.

I have always stated that the great thing about reloading, and many other pastimes as well, is that there IS a way for folks to participate at all budget and need levels. It's all good IMHO.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-14-2019, 12:39 PM

I've been very happy with my LCT since I bought it 8+ years ago. I don't use it much these days though since I bought a LnL. Nothing against the Lee, but I can load at twice the speed on the LnL so for high volume pistol rounds, I use the progressive. I do keep the LCT handy though for rifle rounds and lower volume cartridges since I do not own a single stage. It has proven itself plenty durable when sizing cartridges as large as 30-06.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
You are, at least on a couple of points.

First of all most of the trash talking on the Lee presses is directed at their pathetic attempts to manufacture progressive loaders which are indeed far more trouble than they are worth and have likely driven people out of reloading. And even those sub-standard, Rube Goldberg clunkers have a handful of wizard level mechanics who like them and don't mind spending as much time repairing and or tweeking as they do reloading!

Secondly, while the Lee single stage and turret presses do function and have produced a great deal of ammo you don't have to break the bank to purchase a far better press like the Rock Chucker or something made from cast iron that will last a couple of lifetimes.

Or you could spend a bunch of money on one of the Forster Products Co-Ax presses...

at that point it's like comparing a mal-sized ChiCom end wrench to a Snap-on 12 point. There is a difference and you do need to pay to get the improved quality but yeah, the Chinese wrench will probably work-until you're trying to break some flywheel bolts loose of course!

Still, enjoy your Lee turret press-reload and shoot safely and have a good time.

Last edited by Capt. Methane; 01-14-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
More like, you MAKE a bunch of flyers on it! The Swiss Watch thing was obviously tossed in to piss off those of us that know better Iím sure.
As you have also stated in a later comment, you are rather accomplished in the shop. The Capín mentioned this as well. You must be adept at fabricating little bits and pieces and bending/tweaking, all in the hopes of getting a run of 100 without the thing falling apart like the leg lamp on A Christmas Story. The Capín was also right that these ridiculous things have probably driven more loaders away from the hobby than kept, purely because they may not know any better and figure that is the hassle associated with all reloaders. I have admitted many times that I was a fool and wasted 20 years screwing with a Pro 1000 and 2 Loadmasters. The first glorious pull on a blue 550 years ago upset me to no end because of the time I had wasted fighting that pot metal nightmare. People shouldnít talk to themselves like the discussion I had with myself that day!! You only THINK you have a Swiss watch my friend!
Old 01-15-2019, 12:02 PM

Hey Nitro, I'll cover the shipping & handling if you wish to exorcise your home of those crimson demons!
Old 01-15-2019, 09:04 PM

Sounds like Marty needs some spare parts...

Old 01-16-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Hey Nitro, I'll cover the shipping & handling if you wish to exorcise your home of those crimson demons!
need parts do ya??
Donít think that I wouldnít gladly send those things away! If you look around at various threads a couple years ago that are titled Lee Progressives, you will soon discover a much more colorful and informative depiction of my experiences with said boat anchors. The summation of the discussion included many folks piling on with their own disgruntled experiences. However, there was one of our valued members that would not give in and requested that I do precisely as you have just asked. He offered just a tad more than shipping and I piled everything in a box. To rub it in a little, I packed it with some of the Dillon foam packing. I have made it a priority to try and STOP anyone from going down this dark road before itís too late. Just once, try a pull on a Dillon or Hornady. You will not believe the difference. In the scheme of things, we are only talking several hundred dollars since you have all the other stuff. Seriously, the Lee Progressives are the Yugoís of reloading.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:55 AM

There are a few things wrong with Lee products. One is the "mechanically challenged" users that have difficulty using a hammer. Opening a refrigerator is about the extent of their ability. Another is the people that cannot/will not read instructions, and try to use the tool/equipment in ways the tools aren't designed for, and there are those that do not/will not understand modern materials and manufacturing techniques and trash the equipment before even trying it ("Condemnation prior to investigation").

I'm a 50 year machinist/mechanic, know how to use hand tools and simple machines and have had no more problems with, or produced any inferior handloads on my Lee products than any other reloading tool manufacturer's products....

Last edited by mikld; 01-16-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:52 PM

"Man, I wish I would have bought a Lee instead of this Dillon"......said no one ever.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
"Man, I wish I would have bought a Lee instead of this Dillon"......said no one ever.
Agreed. But I have seen equipment for sale that the owner used just once and needed his $$$$ back. And it is of no consequence to any other reloaders what tools anyone uses. The bad part of the Lee Haters spewing their "opinions" is that new/newer reloaders will read their stuff and might believe it and not try any Lee. Ever read a new reloader's question about equipment needed to start reloading, mebbe 38 Special? They are given recommendations on tumbling and tumbling media, not entirely necessary, precision tools to measure cases and OAL, again not necessary. Some recommend case trimmers and primer pocket cleaners. A $100.00 press? "Never, just get the Snouper Deluxe on sale for $649.99" and add the tired old "buy once, cry once" (has anyone really bought a car just one time? Anyone just buy one gun?Or a TV just one time?).

Lee is getting a whole lot of free advertising on forums these days...