Family - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-26-2018, 10:12 AM

Family

The most under discussed survival resource around here seems to be family.
Why is that?
Traditionally, family members could rely on relatives in times of disaster and other duress. A temporary safe haven or launching pad for rebuilding a future having been devastated by some natural or political calamity.

Do you have family you're comfortable crashing with for a few days/weeks?

Do you maintain the resources for caring for family who have been burned or flooded out of their own homes?

Do you even discuss this possibility among your family?

There are all kinds of resources you may already have---off season camping gear(sleeping bags, blankets, etc... maybe even a camper or travel trailer)

Do you keep up on your local conditions in regards to temporary employment where an evacuee can't start earning cash? Or schools where children can resume their interrupted education?

Or are you going to leave it all up to the Government to take care of them (or YOU---this is a two way street!)
Old 11-26-2018, 12:00 PM

I have some family fairly close by.

That I could and would take in if required. My wife and I are fairly well set up to do this. However, I would have to make some things very clear to them early on. #1 issue being that this would not be a democracy. I would be the boss, And what I say goes. It is either my way or the highway.

This is my younger brothers family. He has been and continues to be a very successful ambulance chaser. My observations of them very much leave me with the strong impression. That these people will have quite a bit of difficulty dealing with any adversity that can not be fixed by the wave of a credit card. This to include two reasonably able bodied adults and two strapping twenty something sons. To me this represents a sad state of affairs. My brother recently contacted me with a request to make him a saw horse for cutting firewood. As I knew that his two boys were home from school for the holidays and his wife who has never held a real job in her life was not doing much of anything except spending money. I asked him why his crew could not manage a trifling thing like this (cue in the crickets chirping.) So I made it for them. I think that you get the picture.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:36 PM

I have relatives I get along very well with, and some I tolerate.
But when it comes to their safety, I'll tolerate them.
They probably think the same about me.

The elderly and in-firmed though, we're ready for 'em. Children too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
That I could and would take in if required. My wife and I are fairly well set up to do this. However, I would have to make some things very clear to them early on. #1 issue being that this would not be a democracy. I would be the boss, And what I say goes. It is either my way or the highway.

This is my younger brothers family. He has been and continues to be a very successful ambulance chaser. My observations of them very much leave me with the strong impression. That these people will have quite a bit of difficulty dealing with any adversity that can not be fixed by the wave of a credit card. This to include two reasonably able bodied adults and two strapping twenty something sons. To me this represents a sad state of affairs. My brother recently contacted me with a request to make him a saw horse for cutting firewood. As I knew that his two boys were home from school for the holidays and his wife who has never held a real job in her life was not doing much of anything except spending money. I asked him why his crew could not manage a trifling thing like this (cue in the crickets chirping.) So I made it for them. I think that you get the picture.
I had a brother in law (sadly passed away a couple of years ago to a heart attack...days after getting a clean bill of health from his doctor during a routine checkup) that your brother reminds me of. My B-I-L had to call me up every Christmas Eve to come over and help him assemble all of his kid's toys (bikes, swing sets, etc.) because he had absolutely NO mechanical acumen what so ever! He was also raised as a staunch democrat, but that is another issue, although perhaps not since it follows a certain mindset of relying on others for even simple things. That said, he was beginning to turn in the right direction the last couple of years he was alive, and was even taking some positive steps towards self-reliance. Given a bit more time I think he could have become a genuine asset. His kids are now grown and while my nephew is a total write-off if things ever go to hell, my niece is another story. She married someone with a similar mindset to mine, and I think they would be a very welcome addition to my clan if the SHTF. Likewise, if I became the one that had to relocate, I know that they recognize the value that I represent and would bring my group in with welcome arms and not a small sense of relief at having the additional supplies and skillsets. They have both taken to what I have been advocating and are probably in the upper 5% of the population at large in being prepared for a long-term disruption of the status quo.

I have two other B-I-Ls and their families that are questionable. One, my wife's brother, is an engineer and might be valuable (although I am an engineer as well, as are two of my sons), but taking him in means taking in his wife whom I commonly refer to as "Satan", so not likely. I just don't see the dynamics of having that witch under my roof playing out well for anything more than a week or so. Their kids take after their mother, so needless to say that I don't want them around either.

The other, my wife's sister's husband, has a lot of skills with carpentry and other home maintenance requirements, but he is weak-minded and not in the best health, so I see him more as a liability than an asset. Since his wife (my wife's sister) is a royal pain and constant complainer (don't even MENTION the word "sciatica" in front of her unless you have at least two hours to listen to how bad hers is) with no valuable skills beyond being a gifted seamstress (which my wife can also do), I question whether or not I would include them in any long-term arrangement. They too have kids, but only one of them would make my cut. She is a teacher with a true can-do attitude, and her husband is a helicopter mechanic as well as a hunter and fisherman, so they bring value. The son is a banker that is married to a pink hat radical, and the other daughter is a militant lesbian, so a big NOPE there. Heartless perhaps on my part, but I'm not willing to place my family at risk just because it is not a popular decision.

Frankly, other than my own sons and the two nieces and their immediate families, only my older brother offers any real value to a long-term survival scenario when it concerns family members, although he likely won't need me since he is already set up to be pretty self-sufficient. I have discussed having him join me since he has a degree in agriculture from A&M and has extensive knowledge in maximizing yield from small farming plots. The door is open for him and vice-versa. My younger brother and my sister are both addicted to prescription drugs, and my sister is a kleptomaniac to boot, so I don't even like them to visit for the weekend unless I can keep an eye on their every move. Not something I want to add to the mix when I'm trying to keep folks alive.

I would take any of my family in for a short-term situation, but not otherwise. They all joke about coming to my place if the world collapses while at the same time making fun of my "paranoia", but I always make it clear that I take care of my immediate family first and that anyone else better bring supplies or knowledge or both if they want past the front door. I then ask them why it should be incumbent on me to take care of them in the bad times that I prepared for in good times when they have failed to do so even as they acknowledge the potential for bad times to happen and have the ability to make preparations. Hell, they don't even keep a few day's worth of supplies on hand during hurricane season despite the fact that they live in an area prone to disruption should a hurricane hit! I always get either "you mean you'd turn away your own family?" reply or they just look at me like a cow looking at a new gate...total lack of comprehension. Some people, even family members, just aren't good investments of limited resources in a long-term survival scenario.

None of this is to say that I don't have people that I would welcome into my fold or to who's fold I would not be welcomed into. I have several close friends that are like-minded and who are equally as prepared as I am. These are people that I know I can count on, and who know they can count on me. They are family to me, only they are the family I chose, not the one I was born into or married into. I realize that my mindset on this will be seen as callous by many, but a true SHTF scenario will not tolerate weakness. Even in Nature, the mother wolf will leave the weak offspring to die in favor of securing the survival of the strong and that of the pack. Not that I suggest we become animals and completely abandon our humanity if things go to hell, but the luxury of enjoying civility as it exists today is only enabled by plentiful supply of that which is necessary to life. Take that away and the rules revert to something less civilized, forcing us to make decisions that are not in harmony with the morals of current society.

Last edited by Taxed2death; 11-26-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:45 PM

Well said Taxed.

Most of my relatives are too far away to make it here if things happen. I generally count this as a blessing as they have little in the way of practical skills. If they showed up, I would likely take them in at least for the short term. And no doubt gets lots of advice. But other than as warm bodies, I do not really consider them a net benefit to the overall effort.

My younger brother and his family that live close. As previously stated are long on money and degrees but very short on practical skills, and aside from my brother even a simple work ethic. I have already determined that if things got bad enough for them to have to relocate here. I would put the four of them on rotating security, While my wife and I do all of the things that might need to be done. They are all reasonably proficient with firearms and own quite a few. About their one saving grace in my view. But while I am in my sixties and my wife is in her fifties . I have little doubt that we can work circles around all four of them, including the two twenty somethings. They know nothing about tending stock, cutting firewood, or about anything else connected with survival in a grid down situation.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:26 PM

My folks are elderly, and in a disaster scenario, live further than I could likely get to them, or them to me, without significant issue. My wife and I have no immediate family nearby. My brother would be beneficial in a survival situation, in that he is even more heavily armed (and a better shot) than I am. But he lives a few states away, and has his own family to worry about, and probably has even less in the way of emergency preparations than I do, due to his living situation. My sister lives across the country, and has decided that she has no interest in surviving a SHTF, she would rather spend a glorious few days living in luxury and relaxing, while the world crumbles around her.

As for the ability and willingness, yes, we could definitely shelter some close friends or family if we needed to, for a brief period of time. We have enough food and water for probably a couple weeks, which would be drastically reduced if we started sheltering others. But we live in a very temperate climate, and have camping/ sleeping/ shelter gear in abundance. I'd say that the three things we're shortest on are water, gas, and candles. I try not to rely too heavily on battery powered lights for an emergency, and our candle supply is pitiful.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:27 PM

I have resources but no family. I have a good lifelong friend a couple states away who asked me if he could bring his family to my place in an emergency.

Since we grew up together and know each other’s minds, he would be a huge asset. Nobody would be inconvenienced because we have a guest house where we incidentally store most of our food and other long term survival “stuff”.

The good Lord must expect me to care for strangers because He has blessed me with resources but has taken what little family I had.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
.My younger brother and his family that live close. As previously stated are long on money and degrees but very short on practical skills, and aside from my brother even a simple work ethic. I have already determined that if things got bad enough for them to have to relocate here. I would put the four of them on rotating security, While my wife and I do all of the things that might need to be done. They are all reasonably proficient with firearms and own quite a few. About their one saving grace in my view. But while I am in my sixties and my wife is in her fifties . I have little doubt that we can work circles around all four of them, including the two twenty somethings. They know nothing about tending stock, cutting firewood, or about anything else connected with survival in a grid down situation.
Something I've learned about "city folk" when they come out to visit...they often become fascinated with farm work when exposed to it. To us it is just part of the daily routine, but to them it is a novelty. You'd be surprised at what I have taught to some of my visitors (mostly not family members though) just by getting them involved in my chores.

I bet those two "twenty somethings" would take you up on a challenge to see who could split a piece of wood with the fewest tries. "OK, son, give it a whack. No, not like that, hold it like this and swing like this...THERE you go! Now, do it again! (to other twenty something) Now, YOUR turn. Bet you can't beat him. Let's see who can split five pieces the fastest!"...Next thing you know, they know how to split wood. I've found a lot of other ways to turn training into a game without my "students" ever even knowing that they were being taught a skill, and yet they learned.

I used to take my sons out to our shooting area and throw out some bowling pins. I'd then tell them to see who could bounce it the farthest the fastest with one magazine from an AR. Then I'd do the same thing but while I'm distracting them by throwing sticks at them. Without really realizing it they were learning how to shoot quickly, reacquire a target quickly, and do so under the stress of "incoming fire"...all disguised as a game and friendly competition. I did this with their friends and with several of my buddy's kids as well. Years later those lessons have stayed with them, but now they know what it was all about. One of those boys was over in Iraq where he was in more than a couple of firefights, and he has made it a point to tell me that those early "games" probably kept him alive when he was there. Chores and training doesn't have to be all drudgery and work when times are good as long as the skills are still passed on.

You and I are not that far apart in age, and while I know I too can work circles around people half as old, I also admit that it takes a toll on me over time when I push my limits for too long. I just don't recover as quickly as I used to despite the fact that I am physically active pretty much constantly. I know my limits, and while I do occasionally exceed them, I am mindful not to accelerate my aging process since my body is long ago past its warranty period.

If you take those folks in, they will need to learn how to do more than just pull security (which, considering your comment on their work ethic might raise a concern over their dedication to this VERY important job). Given what you say, your group will be highly dependent on you for knowledge and guidance. Without you their chances of survival drop exponentially, so your personal health becomes something you have to guard, and that means not allowing yourself to pull more of the load than you can do for sustained periods. Exhausted people eventually start to make mistakes, and mistakes in a SHTF scenario can be costly. I know I'm probably not telling you anything new, but perhaps others can glean a little from what I'm saying here.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:03 PM

If shtf I'm just going to pack up and go to the super dome. It worked great during Katrina. Fema will take care of us. Have faith it is a government agency what could go wrong