Had a chat with a prepper - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-12-2018, 06:35 PM

Had a chat with a prepper

The Fighting Outside thread reminds me of a talk I had with a self-described Prepper when I was an active Realtor.

He had a Bug Out vehicle and a bag of stuff already.

He now wanted a spread outside of town to flee to when SHTF. Okay, Fine.

But then it got silly----- He spoke of defensible space, fields of fire, & such.

To hold off looters & raiders.

I was left thinking that an attacker would just wait in the tree line for him to come outside to take a leak & shoot him like a deer.

I couldn't fathom what kind of conflict he had in mind.

Anyhow, prices & interest rates on undeveloped CA land popped his balloon pretty quick.

But still, I believe, overall, that a patient attacker has the upper hand in a siege situation. Plus if they get frustrated they can always just fire-arrow your love nest & dig for spam Cans in the ashes.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:47 PM

Lots of people think that they can survive Armageddon.

And there is a very highly developed industry that caters to this. Everything from freeze dried food to multimillion dollar stocked bunkers is out there for sale. Something for every budget. From where I am sitting this appears to be a pretty good market.

Now my wife and I are in a situation where we are able to live fairly independently for an indefinite period of time. We raise the balance of our food. And we are independent in other ways as well. The biggest consideration for us in the event that something really bad goes down is other people. We do not spend much money on so called survival food/gear, etc. One hundred years ago this was a given. This is the creed that we subscribe to. We have both worked hard for the financial resources that we have. We try to spend them wisely. I do have to confess a weakness for firearms and ammunition.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01746.JPG   60s Coltautos,bench&ammo 007.JPG  
Old 06-12-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
The Fighting Outside thread reminds me of a talk I had with a self-described Prepper when I was an active Realtor.

He had a Bug Out vehicle and a bag of stuff already.

He now wanted a spread outside of town to flee to when SHTF. Okay, Fine.

But then it got silly----- He spoke of defensible space, fields of fire, & such.

To hold off looters & raiders.

I was left thinking that an attacker would just wait in the tree line for him to come outside to take a leak & shoot him like a deer.

I couldn't fathom what kind of conflict he had in mind.

Anyhow, prices & interest rates on undeveloped CA land popped his balloon pretty quick.

But still, I believe, overall, that a patient attacker has the upper hand in a siege situation. Plus if they get frustrated they can always just fire-arrow your love nest & dig for spam Cans in the ashes.
I wonder if your prepper pal has invested in developing the Virtues in his children, that they'll want to take care of him when he's too old to hold off the Zombies all by himself?
Old age is the most predictable and dangerous Zombie of all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2018, 09:30 PM

Age & finances. Spending your retirement / healthcare funds (which you WILL need) for a buncha lanterns & MRE's (which you probably WON'T) is probably a bad idea.

At our secret bunker --------- okay, it's our house in The 'Burbs we have about 3 weeks worth of supplies.

Not dedicated, just a rotating supply of foodstuffs that we eat anyhow. Have guns / ammo of course.

50 gallons in the waterheater & 210 in the spa that can be distilled. 5 in the toilet tanks. Plus I can suck a few gallons out of our sprinkler systems with a straw.

So we're pretty well set for a natural disaster.

But under siege we'd not fare so well. Not worried about that.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:48 PM

Some might think that shivering under a pine tree.

And waiting for the Fema bus to show up. That this might be the way to go. My wife and I have other options. And this did not involve expenditures outside of the way that we have chosen to live our lives even in normal circumstances.

We produce the balance of our own food by choice. And we produce food that supersedes the quality of anything that we might buy, by a tremendous margin. This is a no brainer for us. Additionally the Artesian well is a Godsend.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:08 PM

Going down with the Alamo is fine, just so long as you understand; that even John Wayne, dies at the end...
Old 06-12-2018, 10:53 PM
Banned

Having weeks or months of food and water is just good sense - our supply chain is based on a very fragile network of highways, trucks that carry supplies across them and warehouses to supply the trucks. But most preppers seem to forget that in a disaster it is primarily a disaster because peoples homes are destroyed by floods, fires, volcanos, earthquakes, tornados and gas leaks. Destroy the home and you destroy all the carefully stocks shelves of supplies put away for a disaster.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
Going down with the Alamo is fine, just so long as you understand; that even John Wayne, dies at the end...
This reminds me of all the "Molon Abe" stuff you used to see. I doubt that many of the people displaying this knew what happened to the Spartans.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:18 AM

Preppers.....

There are different types of "Preppers." There are Doomsday Preppers, preparing for a nuclear holocaust, and there are natural disaster preppers.

At 66 years of age, I doubt if I would ever want to survive a nuclear holocaust, and trying to raise food in a radioactive fall out area is most likely futile....a major nuclear strike can send radioactive fall out for hundreds of miles, so it is anyone's guess if they have a good chance of survival in their area.

Preparing for natural disasters with a few weeks or more with food and water, is not a bad idea, as long as you dwelling with food supplies is not destroyed.

I normally have about two weeks or more of dry goods in my pantry that may not make the most appetizing meals, but I would be able to survive...Ö Pasta, peanut butter, canned tuna, crackers, etc. When preparing for a potential natural disaster such as a hurricane, or potential tornado on the move......it is best to fill up the bathtub with water, and any 5 gallon containers as well..... I also have a small single burner propane stove so I could boil water to make pasta...and a BBQ grill with a spare propane tank if I need to cook items that are refrigerated......and a small gas powered electric generator that would be able to keep my refrigerator running if the power goes out...Ö.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaidad View Post
This reminds me of all the "Molon Abe" stuff you used to see. I doubt that many of the people displaying this knew what happened to the Spartans.
But nobody makes movies glorifying the Persians -- or the Mexicans, for that matter.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:29 AM

he has a good point with looters, as they aren't smart enough to hide in tree line then shoot when you are exposed. looters are stupid, lazy, mob mentality fueled. their desparation will make them attack without good planning.

but it will be the smart guy that will make his plans fruitless. therein lies the problem.

living in the country we have killing fields/huge yards. this helps deter thieves somewhat. cops are too far away.

he is on the right track, not really there yet, but on the right track.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:20 PM

That's because the Spartans all had killer abs, shaved their chests, and were shiny & tan.

Surprisingly, my wife tends to like those movies.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:24 PM

I think looters #2, 3, and 4 would change their technique when Looter #1 gets shot.

Either passing on the house altogether, or waiting, then shooting from a distance.

You can't stay inside forever. Unless it really IS a well-stocked pillbox bunker.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
That's because the Spartans all had killer abs, shaved their chests, and were shiny & tan.

Surprisingly, my wife tends to like those movies.
Yep -- the Persians admitted that one Greek was as strong as two Persians.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:30 PM

And 3 times as cinematic
Old 06-13-2018, 03:55 PM

Remember the old Survivalist fad? They focused on guns and ammo. I figure they planned to live by brigandige on the Preppers and relief efforts after war, disaster, or insurrection.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:07 PM

Yes, I've seen guys speaking of IMMENSE stashes of SHTF ammo. But I don't think I could survive daily fire fights for very long.

I'm not a movie character.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
But nobody makes movies glorifying the Persians -- or the Mexicans, for that matter.

SURE they do!

Sorta...
Old 06-13-2018, 04:42 PM

If you can handle whatever Nature throws at you, then you'll probably do OK against whatever pranks the Zombies might play.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:50 PM

Post #1, raiders and looters? Wouldn't that just be an issue if the prepper chose to build the wrong design? A small house vs an in-ground or in-mountain bunker?

When the apocalypse comes, mostly everyone, or all, will die. Perhaps prepping is just a matter of how long one wants to extend the agony of defeat
Old 06-13-2018, 05:06 PM

If there was a all-encompassing world wide apocalypse (I don't predict so, just playing with it) I think the first people to truly rise from the ashes would NOT be prepared, rugged individualists.

It would be the first people to reboot community living. With agriculture / animal raising & shared defense roles.

That's what worked last time. There are not many Hunter-Gatherers left.

I'm thinking more The Postman than Mad Max. Organized agricultural feudalism working up to City States then eventually countries.

Somebodys gotta watch your back when you sleep.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:

and were homosexual pedophiles.....

..L.T.A.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:13 AM

Hey, nobody's perfect.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:20 PM

Ultimate Prepper

Quote:
But then it got silly-----
I am a certified level ten Prepper Instructor, If it has to do with Prepping I've probably been involved in developing it in some manner over the years. I was engaging in prepping before the internet, and before the term became popular in the survivalist verbage. I have some key Rules and Regulations that I follow. If you don't follow my rules there is a 90% or better chance that when the dust settles, you'll be dead.... 10s of thousands of preps, both real and training, in hundereds of basic premutations bears this out.

MY RULES

1 - Cardio
2 - The Double Tap
3 - Beware of Bathrooms
4 - Wear Seat Belts
5 - No Attachments
6 - The ďSkilletĒ
7 - Travel Light
8 - Get a Kick Ass Partner
9 - With your Bare Hands
10 - Donít Swing Low
11 - Use Your Foot
12 - Bounty Paper Towels
13 - Shake it Off
14 - Always carry a change of underwear
15 - Bowling Ball
16 - Opportunity Knocks
17 - Donít be a hero (later crossed out to be a hero)
18 - Limber Up
19 - Break it Up
20 - Itís a marathon, not a sprint, unless itís a sprint, then sprint
21 - Avoid Strip Clubs
22 - When in doubt Know your way out
23 - Zipplock
24 - Use your thumbs
25 - Shoot First
26 - A little sun screen never hurt anybody
27 - Incoming!
28 - Double-Knot your Shoes
29 - The Buddy System
30 - Pack your stain stick
31 - Check the back seat
32 - Enjoy the little things
33 - Swiss army Knife

The rules are important...more on my PoI upon request.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
I am a certified level ten Prepper Instructor, If it has to do with Prepping I've probably been involved in developing it in some manner over the years. I was engaging in prepping before the internet, and before the term became popular in the survivalist verbage. I have some key Rules and Regulations that I follow. If you don't follow my rules there is a 90% or better chance that when the dust settles, you'll be dead.... 10s of thousands of preps, both real and training, in hundereds of basic premutations bears this out.
If you want to call me out about something I said in a different thread, man up and do it directly...

The weakly veiled personal attack speaks volumes....