Help ID a CheckMate clone - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-11-2019, 03:03 PM

Help ID a CheckMate clone

I bought a used mag at the local gun range today.. it is EXACTLY like the Checkmate extended 8 rounder. It has hybrid feed lips, the patented dimpled follower, the exact same body {witness holes and extended), and the exact same bumper pad. Only difference is there are no Checkmate ID marks- it is void of any writing. For 10 bucks it was a good find. I tested it out first and it feeds flawlessly.

Any idea who this may be have been sold by? I was going to guess Wilson, but there are no Wilson markings. It's definitely a Checkmate product, but with no markings

Last edited by dsonyay; 11-11-2019 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Added picsI
Old 11-11-2019, 03:58 PM

Wilson only sold the 7 rounders, their "Service Mag".

CheckMate makes mags for Colt, SIG, Ed Brown, Dan Wesson, and probably a few others.

The CERTAC mag was a CheckMate extended tube 8 rounder, but I think it had wadcutter feed lips. They were marked as CERTAC though.

Joe's MagMania has sold a variety of what are probably CheckMate 2nd's. I don't think any of his have CheckMate stamps on them. That would be my guess what you have.

https://joes1911magmania.net
Old 11-11-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
Wilson only sold the 7 rounders, their "Service Mag".

CheckMate makes mags for Colt, SIG, Ed Brown, Dan Wesson, and probably a few others.

The CERTAC mag was a CheckMate extended tube 8 rounder, but I think it had wadcutter feed lips. They were marked as CERTAC though.

Joe's MagMania has sold a variety of what are probably CheckMate 2nd's. I don't think any of his have CheckMate stamps on them. That would be my guess what you have.

https://joes1911magmania.net
Thanks..
I was really blown away by how well the Checkmate manufactured 8 round extended mag worked in my Commander.. especially in matches. Seating a fully loaded mag on a closed slide is a breeze and they have functioned perfectly. I'm likely going to order a few more. I saw this one for 10 bucks and figured what the heck.. it's gotta be a Checkmate even though not stamped. It works perfectly well. Took it apart and it's got same spring floorplate and follower. Even the patent markings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2019, 05:07 PM

The magmania site... Have never heard of it. Was looking through it and he does seem to sell non branded CM mags. Interesting.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:42 PM

The general opinion is Joe is a CheckMate employee and is moving extra product for them.

Edit: That's my opinion at least.

CheckMate is a fine company, but I don't think they do retail very well. Joe's probably fills some of that void.

Top Gun Supply is where I get my CheckMate mags, but Thunder Mountain Custom is another respected CheckMate retailer.

https://shop.1911parts.com

Last edited by jtq; 11-11-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:39 PM

The pictures are kind of small and hard to see, but it appears that one of them has the Knight chess piece on the floor plate. That is a Checkmate logo.

That said... Since they make a ton of OEM magazines for different companies, there are a lot of them floating around with no maker's mark. They have been known to just stamp a C on the bottoms of magazines as well. You can usually identify unmarked CM mags by the flat backed dimple, patent number stamped on some followers, and to a lesser extent, the caliber stamped on the side of the mags.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 11-11-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
The pictures are kind of small and hard to see, but it appears that one of them has the Knight chess piece on the floor plate. That is a Checkmate logo.

That said... Since they make a ton of OEM magazines for different companies, there are a lot of them floating around with no maker's mark. They have been known to just stamp a C on the bottoms of magazines as well. You can usually identify unmarked CM mags by the flat backed dimple, patent number stamped on some followers, and to a lesser extent, the caliber stamped on the side of the mags.
Yes.. one is my checkmate mag.. sorry for the small pics.. but you can click in them and they should open up to larger format.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post

yes.. my older Colt 7 rounders are stamped with a C. I'm pretty familiar with Checkmate and own 2 other CM 7 rounders. Man, i really love the extended 8 rounders. Probably the best design yet.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:25 PM

As mentioned above, CheckMate make Magazines for several gun manufacturers. Another is Kimber. If you donít made the Kimber marking on the butt plate, here is a merchant with great prices.

I have purchased a dozen, excellent CheckMate mags.
The Armory - $14.99 for full size 7rd with patented follower and wadcutter lips
https://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_...ines-1911.html

NRA Life-Benefactor
Old 12-27-2019, 02:07 PM

sig mags are unmarked like that... Ruger mags look the same, but with the Ruger logo...
Old 12-28-2019, 02:35 PM

they might have come from a SIG 1911 , they appear identical to the magazine with this SIG

Old 01-26-2020, 07:28 AM

Looks like my sig mags