.17 HMR or 22 magnum - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-24-2018, 12:44 PM

.17 HMR or 22 magnum

Preliminary thoughts toward a rifle mainly for target and an occasional varmint.
From what I've read I'm leaning .17 HMR, am I wrong?
-bolt or semi auto?, leaning semi unless they're unreliable.
The Savage seems to be very good and plentiful, but what else should I consider.?
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:28 PM

.17 HMR bolt gun since semis don't run al that great in my personal experience, I have a savage
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 06-24-2018, 04:03 PM

Striker, how is their accutrigger? Thx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2018, 05:08 PM

CZ 452 or 455. .17 HMR. You will then live a happy life!!
Old 06-25-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
CZ 452 or 455. .17 HMR. You will then live a happy life!!
Looks like a nice bolt action.

Volquartsen semi autos have caught my attention also..
Old 06-25-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
Looks like a nice bolt action.

Volquartsen semi autos have caught my attention also..
Yes, Volquartsen's are very good quality, but you can get 2 or 3 CZ's for the same money. Bolt actions tend to be more accurate than semi auto's. If you want to do a little reading on all brands, go to www.rimfirecentral.com

If you are looking to target shoot, a .22LR may be a better choice because you can buy target grade ammo for it. There is no target grade ammo for the .22 mag or .17 HMR.

Last edited by LeonardS; 06-25-2018 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:59 AM

17gets my nod for target and will kill a occasional varmit in good conditions. I don’t know where you live. The terrain your varmits are likely to be in...the range most likely you will shoot them from? Where I live varmits are best handled with a .22 LR. Most of the time my range is very close. I might shoot through some brush and over some very uneven terrain. Fast autoload follow ups are often. Cheap and often - so I prefer the cheapest rimfire. If it is not a game animal, I don’t care how many hits or difficulty of the shots. The only thing I consider when killing a varmit is safety to others/property and recovery of the critter. My wife requires me to police-up all dead bodies.

A couple of years ago I shot five armadillos in about twenty seconds...three DRT, two ran and died (I thought I had missed or non-fatal hits)...one under my deck. Days later, Horrible smell...I had a hard time finding, then recovering him. Bad - bad experience we had guests and the Dillo started to smell about the time our friends arrived, wind was optimal for the Dillo revenge. My wife was very mad at me. Of course I was very proud to learn that I had, in fact, killed all the scattering little bastards that I had engaged.

I guess what I am saying is that if you are wide open and long range...maybe the .17 HMR? But not for me.

Last edited by HarryO45; 06-25-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:29 PM

I have the CZ 452 in .17 HMR. Accurate enough to shoot varmints in the eye at 50-75 yards, it still holds groups under an inch at 100. The bullet drops off severely from there, and some holdover is required.

I have shot (and killed) many (dozens to well over 100) feral hogs with it, and lots of varmints. Last week I killed two coyotes over 300 yards away, but had to shoot both more than once, as there's not much energy left at that range. It is pretty hard on critters inside 100 yards, with the VMAX bullets, but over 150 yards just leaves tiny little holes, making shot placement at longer ranges paramount for effect.

I like the .17 over the .22 Mag personally.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:01 PM

I had a CZ 452 in 17 HMR and ended up dumping it. I could have worked on the stock and the bedding issue which I believe was responsible for its sub par accuracy but I didn't want to screw with it - so I traded it on a Dan Wesson Valor. But it didn't shoot that well and I was really surprised at that.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:00 PM

Thank you for the input gemtlemen. I currently shoot groundhogs or an occasional rabid raccoon with one of my 22 LRs, one pistol, one rifle,( inside 100 yds). I was planning on the 17 HMR for better knock down power in addition to a more fun range target shooter (50-180 yds). I was leaning semi auto for faster follow up shots.vs a bolt for varmints.
I'm going to check out a Volquartsen and see how they are. The simplicity of another bolt gun is appealing.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:04 PM

I would choose the .17 over the magnum, but don't rule out a .22lr. I've seen a comparison test, using identical high quality guns, one in .22lr and one in .22 magnum, and the .22lr was more accurate than the magnum. Of course the magnum wins for stopping power, and the ability to use shot-shells, which are great for rats and things. Gunning for ground hogs at very long range (100-200 yd), go with the .17. I like the .22lr because the better guns are very accurate at realistic ranges: 1/2" groups at 50 yards, and ammo is cheap and plentiful. I own many .22lr's and a magnum, and the magnum rarely gets shot.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Yes, Volquartsen's are very good quality, but you can get 2 or 3 CZ's for the same money. Bolt actions tend to be more accurate than semi auto's. If you want to do a little reading on all brands, go to www.rimfirecentral.com

If you are looking to target shoot, a .22LR may be a better choice because you can buy target grade ammo for it. There is no target grade ammo for the .22 mag or .17 HMR.
I'm reading some issues with .17 s in semi autos regarding the chambers and casings blowing up from over pressure causing me to re think this.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Striker, how is their accutrigger? Thx.
Quite excellent, I have mine set a low as possible and the gun is just a joy to shoot. I have a midrange vortex scope on it and it's easy to entertain oneself at 100 yards with some shotgun shells.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 06-26-2018, 07:49 AM

I have one of the Zastava made MP22s in .22 Magnum. A really good shooter, though some can be a diamond in the rough.
All steel, good bluing, walnut stock, fully adjustable trigger.. Hard to beat that kind of a deal for $230.

Last edited by Sailormilan2; 06-26-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I'm reading some issues with .17 s in semi autos regarding the chambers and casings blowing up from over pressure causing me to re think this.
You could call Volquartsen and ask them. I think it was more an ammo issue and should be ok with current production ammo. I would double check with them before laying down the cash.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
You could call Volquartsen and ask them. I think it was more an ammo issue and should be ok with current production ammo. I would double check with them before laying down the cash.
You were on point. I spoke to their technical Dept. Apparently they recommend either Winchester or A17 ammo. I was told to avoid Hornady. Go figure.?

Last edited by Plantar5; 06-26-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:38 PM

With ether a .17 or 22mag you have a limited choice of ammo to pick from for best accuracy and when price per round as match with a .22lr you will more than likely have a better short at 100 yards and under . MY savage MKII BV trigger is tuned a bit lighter . It has a 1lb 1oz average pull and is ok for matches . I can ring a 4" steel at 200 yards if the wind is calm but 100 to 200 yards is the .17 and 22mag's play zone ..

WE still use an old rem 511P with a 2moa red dot on it for critters using a cci 29gr 22CB long . The firing pin dropping makes more noise than the PUTT sound from the 25" barrel and critters drop side by side not knowing what happened . Works well on tree rats too .

I never had a need for a 17 or 22mag and have a rather costly semi auto .22lr and a savage bv both capable of .700 MOA or a fuzz better . So pick what you want
Old 06-26-2018, 06:22 PM

I'd say how about something with more thump than both of them; the 17WSM. Savage B Mag with a Boyds stock and you have a tack driver that'll reach out much better than the 17HMR. Last year we were poppin nutria at 100+ yards freestanding and a headshot would literally flip the 20-25 lb rodent 2 times.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemkr40 View Post
I'd say how about something with more thump than both of them; the 17WSM. Savage B Mag with a Boyds stock and you have a tack driver that'll reach out much better than the 17HMR. Last year we were poppin nutria at 100+ yards freestanding and a headshot would literally flip the 20-25 lb rodent 2 times.
17WSM definately packs a stronger punch, and is in the mix. The HMR appears to have a narrow accuracy edge.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:01 PM

In re-reading your original post, I see you listed target and occasional varmint. To me that indicates 22 lr rather than 17 or 22 mag. Way more fun with 22, way cheaper to shoot, as was pointed out, many more brands of ammo to choose from, and more accurate up to 100 yards with a good gun and the right ammo.

Now if you post read varmint with occasional target - that would indicate either 17 or 22 mag because they perform better on varmints and at distances where the 22 lr falls short.

My choice for what you asked would be an Anschutz 54 action in a sporting model. I love my Anschutz 1712 and although it isn't cheap it is some the best money I have ever spent for a rimfire. If your budget is less, than what others have suggested would be more than adequate.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:17 PM

I have a CZ 455FS in .17 her. It is one smooth little bolt action rifle. Probably god to the range more than any of the other rifles I own. Extremely accurate and not all that expensive to shoot. Love the gun, love the cartridge.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:23 PM

117 hmr/22mag

get a 17 hornet, then AI the chamber

really cheap to shoot if you reload

superior to either of the other calibers mentioned

17 Rem. should be considered also

In my humble opinion................buntingmiester
Old 06-26-2018, 10:47 PM

I got a Savage .17 HMR with the Accutrigger and it is just plain fun to shoot. That trigger is sure nice too.
Although there isn't anything really wrong with a .22 Magnum, the .17 seems to hold the edge for longer range and a little better in the accuracy department.

One thing I noticed was during the last ammo shortages, most gun stores all had .17 HMR ammo on the shelves. The shelves were empty of other rimfire cartridges. So there is a big plus for the .17 HMR as the stores still had ammo to sell for it when the other rimfires were in short supply. There seemingly was no 22 mag ammo at all in the stores for years at that time too. I remember the stores had .22 mag guns for sale, but no ammo for them. Some stores kept a box or two of .22 mag ammo in the back just in case someone wanted to buy a gun, At least they could sell them a box or two of ammo for it.

Lately it seems the .17 HMR had a lot of sales going on for its ammo too. It was cheaper to buy compared to the .22 Magnum.

Last edited by earlwb; 06-26-2018 at 10:49 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 06-29-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Preliminary thoughts toward a rifle mainly for target and an occasional varmint.
From what I've read I'm leaning .17 HMR, am I wrong?
-bolt or semi auto?, leaning semi unless they're unreliable.
The Savage seems to be very good and plentiful, but what else should I consider.?
Thanks in advance.
Cz 455 you can swap barrows

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2018, 01:05 PM

If magnum rimfire is what is needed then get the one which will be appropriate for the size varmint in need of eradicating. The other acquired later for the "other" varmints will handle the smaller or larger varmints, depending on which you chose first.

I have 22 and 17 Magnum Rimfires. The 17 Marlin HBAR is boringly accurate to shoot. Or was at one time, its been awhile. The 22 Mags, a Rem 597M and Marlin, are accurate shooters typically holding 1.5" or less at 100 yards.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.