Disaster Preparedness or Way of Life? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-24-2018, 07:54 PM

Disaster Preparedness or Way of Life?

This time of year when I had more mouths to feed is when I'd get nervous about all of those empty canning jars, having steadily gone through the garden harvest, tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, etc. My reaction was to make a bunch of chili, soups, pot roasts, you name it and reduce the freezer stores into pressure canned meals. There is just something satisfying about having FULL canning jars on the shelves.

Fast forward to today, we've steadily been adding to the canned meal reserves in the form of left overs as we still tend to make relatively large meals. I guess habits are hard to break. I don't think I can even make an omelet with less than 9 eggs, LOL. Anyway, no panic this year the stock is looking good. I just added a whole butchered pig to the freezer to keep what is left of the 1/4 cow, and some whitetail and elk (thanks to my buddies).

As I'm organizing the pantry, oops -- I discover a jar of Ham & Bean Soup canned from 3 years ago. It is now an empty jar ready for the next canning session. Yummy!

Even with a smaller household, we still buy in bulk (Costco, etc) and cycle through it without having to throw stuff away (except for the occasionally moldy grain products).

YMMV
Old 02-24-2018, 08:55 PM

Producing more than half of the food that my wife and I consume works well for us.

I would strongly encourage others to do the same.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:45 PM

I believe that, if it is not a lifestyle, it probably won't get you through a disaster.

A skill is not developed by watching a youtube video.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:50 PM
Banned

Got to perfect the method for canning foie gras then you will have something! I guess I could be forced if it came to that to eat frozen for years and canned for years food. Much prefer fresh meat and fresh produce.

Grew up eating a lot of our own finished out beef (had it processed and aged outside) I was 14 before I understood that not all beef was prime) and had a 2 acre garden at my grandmother and grandfathers.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:34 PM

That is really great that you were so privileged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa Dave View Post
Got to perfect the method for canning foie gras then you will have something! I guess I could be forced if it came to that to eat frozen for years and canned for years food. Much prefer fresh meat and fresh produce.

Grew up eating a lot of our own finished out beef (had it processed and aged outside) I was 14 before I understood that not all beef was prime) and had a 2 acre garden at my grandmother and grandfathers.
This certainly speaks well for you.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dirt Dave View Post
I believe that, if it is not a lifestyle, it probably won't get you through a disaster.

A skill is not developed by watching a youtube video.
Come on Dave. With youtube and a roll of duct tape you can survive anywhere

My advice to all preppers is to take a test run of your preps. One weekend in the summer and winter shut off your power and live in your house with out electricity. Then you will know what works and what needs work.

After the bombs drop is not the time to figure out you never practiced with a firestarter or it will take a lot more wood to heat the whole house.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
This certainly speaks well for you.
I spent a lot of time working cattle, vaccinating, dehorning, repairing and building fences, cutting or mowing depends where you are from coastal fields for bailing hay etc.

Been there done that. Have you ever worked a head gate at the end of the chute (hint-need one to vaccinate, makes it easier to load them in trailers as well just for example) or know what one is?

Been there done all of this and have the shirts. There is a lot more to getting your burger than you know.

Last edited by Busa Dave; 02-27-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I spent a lot of time working cattle, vaccinating, dehorning, repairing and building fences, cutting or mowing depends where you are from coastal fields for bailing hay etc.

Been there done that. Have you ever worked a head gate at the end of the chute (hint-need one to vaccinate, makes it easier to load them in trailers as well just for example) or know what one is?

Been there done all of this and have the shirts. There is a lot more to getting your burger than you know.
You are making this way to complicated. Get in the car and look for the golden arches. Once in the lot follow the big yellow arrow and magically they hand you a burger. You can also get toys to shut the kids up.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:36 PM

I know some people that plan to join up with other groups and go rob and pillage everyone else for supplies. So you need to be careful about who knows what you have as they will give you priority for robbing and pillaging.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:20 AM

Leave out the word disaster and you're prepared.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:16 PM

Around where I live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
I know some people that plan to join up with other groups and go rob and pillage everyone else for supplies. So you need to be careful about who knows what you have as they will give you priority for robbing and pillaging.
I do not see these groups of vermin prospering for very long.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I do not see these groups of vermin prospering for very long.
Actually they tend to do quite well. They get to overwhelm those with fewer numbers than they have. Evil tends to win over good, unless good is really strong.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:

I remember doing something like this as a summer job. I worked on a dairy farm. Unloading hay and distributing it was hard work. Then going out to dig out the irrigation ditches and clean them from time to time was tough too. I haven't even mentioned the unmentionable stuff one had to do too. This was in Arizona during the summer too.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
I remember doing something like this as a summer job. I worked on a dairy farm. Unloading hay and distributing it was hard work. Then going out to dig out the irrigation ditches and clean them from time to time was tough too. I haven't even mentioned the unmentionable stuff one had to do too. This was in Arizona during the summer too.
My wife was raised on the farm and worked it as soon as she could walk. I bitched about mowing the yard that was 30 x70 ft when I was a kid LOL. Our childhoods were night and day different. I grew up in Jersey trying not to get caught in a drive by shooting. Being born in NYC and now living on a farm makes for some good laughs, usually at my expense. I guess opposites really do attract.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:35 PM

Perhaps I should have qualified my statement a little better.

Quote:
Actually they tend to do quite well. They get to overwhelm those with fewer numbers than they have. Evil tends to win over good, unless good is really strong.
I do not see these groups of vermin lasting long where I live. I live in a very rural, sparsely populated but fairly closely knit community. Sure we have a few bad actors here and there. Even your occasional meth head passing through.

But around where I live are mostly hard working God fearing folk. They are armed and they know how to handle adversity. City folks maybe not so much.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I do not see these groups of vermin lasting long where I live. I live in a very rural, sparsely populated but fairly closely knit community. Sure we have a few bad actors here and there. Even your occasional meth head passing through.

But around where I live are mostly hard working God fearing folk. They are armed and they know how to handle adversity. City folks maybe not so much.
Yeah, I kinda figured that. But you all will have to band together setup guards and roadblocks to keep the refugees out. Otherwise they use up your resources too.

But my thoughts is going to be what happens in the urban and inner city areas. It will degenerate into total chaos and anarchy. The vast majority do not have more than a weeks worth of anything for food or water in their homes. They will go crazy when the food runs out.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:10 AM

Been down this road before

Quote:
Yeah, I kinda figured that. But you all will have to band together setup guards and roadblocks to keep the refugees out. Otherwise they use up your resources too.

But my thoughts is going to be what happens in the urban and inner city areas. It will degenerate into total chaos and anarchy. The vast majority do not have more than a weeks worth of anything for food or water in their homes. They will go crazy when the food runs out.
By the time the refugee stream gets this far out, my guess is that attrition will have taken it's toll and they will be few and far between. In certain conditions we have actually set aside rudimentary provisions specifically for refugees.

Unsurprisingly the military did some studies years ago on refugee behavior. One of the things that they discovered was that if a refugee shows up at your place hungry and you turn them away. You may very well expect trouble from them. Conversely if you give them something. That is likely to placate them enough to propel them down the road to be someone else's problem, but not yours.

As for the cities. Roanoke VA is the closest one to me, about fifty miles away. Difficult terrain if you are on foot. After about a week barring succor from FEMA or such. I expect to see a lot of smoke.

Actually it is government people claiming some kind of legitimacy showing up to requisition (read steal) things from us. This is what concerns me the most.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:16 AM

Thumbs up

Survivalblog - particularly the archives - is your friend.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:

Same here. In farm country neighbors look out for each other. Just found out one of my neighbors is a retired surgeon. Good friend to have when the shtf.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:07 PM

I've found that a lot of "preppers" are more like armchair quarterbacks, lots of toys and food but very little recent experience actually getting by without power, city water, ect.

Others live the life, lots of canning with large gardens, some livestock and outdoor property improvement experience (repairing fencing and improving water).

We're more in the middle, we cook with wood at least weekly, have a medium sized garden but don't can much, get the eggs from our chickens but go to the store for most of our food. But we do use solar to power the house and well along with wood for heat.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:10 AM

Happy Easter Ham

Happy Easter, ya'll!

Having the family over for a ham dinner. Just in case the kids take all the leftover sandwich meat, I pulled a couple of smoked hocks out of the freezer to go with the ham bone for the next Ham soup canning session.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:10 PM

I enjoyed reading this thread. A lot of great, thoughtful comments.

I am struck by the differences that exist, as well as differences that are possible (among those who prepare well), between people who live in more of a rural environment and those who live in the center of an urban area.

As always, it makes good sense to do what you can and do what makes sense for one's own circumstances.

In a massive disaster/catastrophe, I think I'd prefer to be that "country boy (who) will survive". But that (country boy) wasn't the way my career, skill sets, etc., played out. Had to figure out how to best use my skills, and it wasn't in rural America, much as I admire those areas and the generally superb people in those areas. A lot of qualities not so present in the urban jungle, and definitely not present in many places worldwide where my work took me.

Interesting to compare the notes/comments in this thread.

Happy Easter to All. A survival concept in itself.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 03-31-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysanthemum View Post
I enjoyed reading this thread. A lot of great, thoughtful comments.

I am struck by the differences that exist, as well as differences that are possible (among those who prepare well), between people who live in more of a rural environment and those who live in the center of an urban area.

As always, it makes good sense to do what you can and do what makes sense for one's own circumstances.

In a massive disaster/catastrophe, I think I'd prefer to be that "country boy (who) will survive". But that (country boy) wasn't the way my career, skill sets, etc., played out. Had to figure out how to best use my skills, and it wasn't in rural America, much as I admire those areas and the generally superb people in those areas. A lot of qualities not so present in the urban jungle, and definitely not present in many places worldwide where my work took me.

Interesting to compare the notes/comments in this thread.

Happy Easter to All. A survival concept in itself.
Happy Easter! We are in for a blizzard tonight and tomorrow morning. Hopefully the power stays on and I donít have to see if the generator battery is dead or not. I never think about that stuff at the correct time...

Good observations about oneís location making a big difference in lifestyle/preparedness. Iím kind of on the other end of the spectrum from you. My occupation just kind of takes care of the preparedness for me. For example, if I didnít have to have a generator to pump water for livestock when the power is out I may have had other priorities and had to do without electricity for the house after storms.

As far as food goes, my wife loves to garden and preserve the produce so Iíll never starve. She texted me the other night and said she opened 7 quarts of canned food to make supper. She asked what people do who donít garden and can. I said well thereís always the grocery store! We are pretty spoiled. I canít eat eggs or milk from the store anymore, it just isnít the same.

I guess my point is we arenít prepared for disaster because we necessarily intend to be. We arenít preppers. Itís just the way we live. Itís cheating I suppose!

Myself and others Iím sure would be glad to share with good people from urban areas if the unthinkable happened. I canít send a bus, but you get yourself out here and you wonít starve. You can even bring your guns, just donít point Ďem at me.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:06 AM

We have a greenhouse now that is powered by solar, working on the water catchment (Backwards, I know). I am in the process of arming the women folk, they have always depended on me, but they are now seeing the light of owning their own firearms. Constantly updating and storing long term food. Next is HAM Radio, the Twitter account of the future.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:40 AM

I feel a lot of shooter and pro 2A people have a certain level of disaster preparedness induced in their lifestyles and that’s a good thing plus a huge amount of usually preparation could just be enough to get them going...OP has got a huge point. Living, being prepared will go a long way comes shtf