1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-24-2018, 10:18 AM

Sig Saur 1911 Ambi Safety Info!

Hi,

I'm left handed and gathering parts for a semi frugal 1911 build.

Although I would love a Wilson $160 bullet proof ambi I'm not going to spend that now.

Saw this Sig Saur ambi at a good price sure it is mim or cast but wonderingif anyone is using these safetys???t
Attached Thumbnails
wwwwwwwww.jpg  
Old 05-24-2018, 11:51 AM

Hi,
Well...I called SIG and CS told me they are MIM but good MIM..

Said they have had no problem with them so?

Guess I'll be trying one.

I like the shape of the paddles anyway!

Time will tell!
Old 05-24-2018, 12:55 PM
1911 Aficionado

Results appear to vary greatly, where ambis are concerned.

I've installed and used ambis from C&S, Ed Brown, Wilson, Springfield, Chip McCormick, Kimber, Mueschke - all cast or MIM - and never had issues with any of them.

Right-handed shooters seem to break them just by having them on their gun, based on some of what I've read on this forum!

I think the key is having a hard "stop" for the safety, so that you are not stressing the pin joint excessively.
If the levers are long enough, I like to have the lever itself in hard contact with the top of the grip panel, as well as the extension riding behind the panel.
Don't use over-cut "ambi grips" that leave the levers dangling and all the torque on the pin joint.
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2018, 05:51 PM

Hi,
Thank you very much!

Had never thought of that but makes sense.

I have a 1911 with a Caspian frame and a Brazilian Army Slide made by COLT in 1940!

I set it up as a simple all combat pistol with commander hammer cut out grip safety and Yost's 8-10 retro combat sights with a peened and silver soldered front sight.

Checkered front strap,, a take off 1911 S&W SS Barrel, and run WC 47D mags and she runs like a top.

I have a MUESCHE ambi that took me a hour of patient work to get it like I want but works great and very smooth.

I do like those that have the slotted pin to hold the right side of the safety!!!

Thanks again!

Last edited by seagiant; 05-24-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:05 PM

I have one on my Detonics/Officer's hybrid. It's smaller than the Armscor/Hooper Gun Works style that I'm used to. But I wanted a smaller one.
It works, which is the important part.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:42 PM

Hi,
Sailorman you say you put a SIG Ambi Safety in your Detonics and all went well?
Old 05-24-2018, 07:24 PM

IIRC, there was minor fitting involved.
Attached Thumbnails
20180524_172123_1527207772766.jpg   20180524_172101_1527207794162.jpg  
Old 05-24-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
IIRC, there was minor fitting involved.

Hi,
Yes there always is and you want the safety jelly tight against the sear but smooth with positive on of "clicks" while working!

Thanks for the info I might of found my new "economy" ambi safety!
Old 05-24-2018, 08:39 PM

Did you check ebay?
Old 05-25-2018, 09:48 AM

Hi,
I got the SIG safety above off of E-bay!
Old 05-25-2018, 10:22 AM

"Good MIM" is up for debate.

Made in India on the bag isn't very reassuring.
http://www.evolutionarmory.com/
Old 05-25-2018, 11:26 AM

I've also seen some "investment cast" parts.
Metallurgists/gun parts gurus: Are investment cast parts the same or better than MIM?
Old 05-25-2018, 11:35 AM
1911 Aficionado

Not at all the same.
Better or worse is not directly related to the process; there can be good and bad of both.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:17 PM

Thinking about getting this as a cheap temporary ambi for a single-sided safety 1911 I just bought (lefty)...I’m wondering if the paddles are hard to manipulate being so short...has anyone with this safety come across that issue?
Old 05-25-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionArmory View Post
"Good MIM" is up for debate.

Made in India on the bag isn't very reassuring.
Hi,
Good eyes....

The question to me is how involved SIG is staying with the plant in India, that is making the safety???

I found another pic of the safety and have to admit to me the finish looks pretty good...

Good enough for me to risk $28 shipped on a style of safety I like!

Also from my questioning of people that have owned SIG pistols with this same safety .

I have heard no complaints of failures,zero,zip,NONE???

Time will tell!
Attached Thumbnails
ccccccc.jpg  

Last edited by seagiant; 05-26-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:17 PM

Hi,
Well the plot thickens....

Seems that SIG is also getting MIM parts from Israel, labled on the parts bag just like India???

Not exactly like they are doing anything "sneaky" about it???

I'll see on mine next week, but the World and Manufacturing, is changing!
Old 05-25-2018, 08:57 PM

Seagiant... I don't think there can be to many Seagiants... if so you came to a tech session at my house 3 years ago. Yes... it's me - and I'm left handed also. I have a Sig Tacops 1911 with the Sig ambi safety. it seems decent, but I replaced it with an EGW. Us lefties can be hard on safeties, as all the torque is on the little interface in the cross-bar. I guess there were no lefties in 1911.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:30 PM

Hi,
Maybe so on the "Tech Session"?

Besides being big the name "Sea Giant" was once a small work assist tug boat a company owned that I worked for when I was sailing Chief Mate in the Merchant Mariners!

It was made in 1955 the year I was born so took it as a moniker on the Internet.

When worrking the tug boat to help dock larger ships the Sea Giant would drive you crazy as it had old type slip in clutches for the propellor shafts instead of the quicker engaging "air" clutches!

If you were used to the quick air clutches and jumped on the Giant t do a little job she would embarrase you in front of God and everyone! Ha!

Sort of "funny" if that were your type of work!

As far as the ambi safety's on 1911's that has been an on going research project for about 20 years or so!

Right now from my research the best three ambis are the Wilson, Novak, and EGW!

All of these run about $120-$160 each and I'm sure woud do the job!

I'm now building and or gathering parts for a FRUGAL 1911 because I came across a slide and barrel from PSA that I picked up cheap. (explaining my intrest in a cheap but good ambi safety!)

I also picked up a "blem" frame from FOSTER at Caspian's!

These are actually good quality S.Korean made by Dasan that makes forgings and even 100% finished parts for other well known makers I hear. (the slide and barrel)

Building my own 1911's I can try different things to see how I like it or just to satisfy my own curiousity and always have the option to sale what I don't want if desired?

Sorry for the long post

Last edited by seagiant; 05-26-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:41 PM

Sig MIM parts are generally a low density MIM part. Sig’s MIM vendor, Indo-MIM, has even admitted that Sig doesn’t use the highest or best density that they are capable of manufacturing.

I would never recommend anyone buy their 1911 parts especially since there are so many better alternatives.
http://www.evolutionarmory.com/
Old 05-26-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionArmory View Post
Sig MIM parts are generally a low density MIM part. Sig’s MIM vendor, Indo-MIM, has even admitted that Sig doesn’t use the highest or best density that they are capable of manufacturing.

I would never recommend anyone buy their 1911 parts especially since there are so many better alternatives.
Hi,
Yes I looked them up and they said they went about 20% LESS than FULL density!

The thing is, when do they keep moving ahead with Technology, until a casting or MIM part is as strong AND as ductile as a heat treated forging???

I'm using that MUESKE (sp) ambi safety on one of my pistols and never had a problem?

I believe it was also used by COLT.

It would be considered a "cheap" safety today and admittedly not everyones cup of tea also!

The thing is on the Indian MIM safety I have not really read or talked to anyone on the Forums that have had any real problems with them and from what I see SIG is using them on most everything they make???

We all know if a company starts having problems with a part....especially not only a FITTED part but a SAFETY part....

They are going to look pretty "silly" if they don't get rid of it!

From my side of the street I will know more about it after I get it and use it!

Thank you very much, for the information and your shared experience, I know it is hard earned!!!

Last edited by seagiant; 05-26-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:21 AM

Hi,
Well I got the safety and so far impressed.

Tried it on the bare Caspian frame and it fits nice and tight pretty much.

Might take a swipe with a file on the male end so it can have every reason to go as far in as possible and might give a small smack with a punch on the female side to tighten just a hair but for the most part pretty good.

The safety block that actually blocks the sear, fits the bare frame very good at the frame cut out that it rides in, and is tight but not sticky and needs nothing from me until the final fitting to the sear.

I'll see if I can put up some pics later!

Last edited by seagiant; 05-31-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:18 PM

I have this exact safety on at least 3 of my custom builds. (and a 4th temporarily used - the right side paddle, works perfectly as a right hand only safety)

Best bang for your buck in an ambi for sure. I really like the size, and the fact that they work with standard grips.

they've been a cinch to fit every time.

The left hand control (right side) paddle takes some breaking in to get it to operate smoothly. I can't for the life of me figure out why it's so much harder to use in the beginning, but it's been the same story x3. Once it's loosened up it works great. I haven't broken any yet!

Last edited by CyberDyneSystems; 05-31-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDyneSystems View Post
I have this exact safety on at least 3 of my custom builds. (and a 4th temporarily used - the right side paddle, works perfectly as a right hand only safety)

Best bang for your buck in an ambi for sure. I really like the size, and the fact that they work with standard grips.

they've been a cinch to fit every time.

The left hand control (right side) paddle takes some breaking in to get it to operate smoothly. I can't for the life of me figure out why it's so much harder to use in the beginning, but it's been the same story x3. Once it's loosened up it works great. I haven't broken any yet!
Hi,
Thanks!

Was wondering how much fitting you had to do to fit to the SEAR?

This would be the final fitting to the boss to block the sear.

Tried to get pics but my cameras not to good.

Got one to show "rib" on the male end of the shaft that goes into the female and probably one of the reasons the safety stays tight/tighter?

Never saw that before?

At least they are thinking!
Attached Thumbnails
jjjjjjj.JPG  

Last edited by seagiant; 05-31-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:13 AM

In every case, I have used my handy 10-8 jig and done only minor filling exactly how the jig is set up to fit.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDyneSystems View Post
In every case, I have used my handy 10-8 jig and done only minor filling exactly how the jig is set up to fit.
Hi,
I saw that 10-8 bench block (jig) with the place set up to keep everything straight.

I'm going to make a steel block with just that portion.

I have a mill so easy for me to make.

COLT workers, actually use a steel block the same way, see if I can find the vid!

At 2:46

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdTxffc6yc8

Last edited by seagiant; 06-01-2018 at 01:28 PM.